Questions about alcohol onboard (merged)

I think you got bad info. Our TA always sends us a bottle of wine through RCI and we have never paid a corkage fee.

We have always been able to do that too. This is NEW. I emailed RCI because I had heard this on a thread and someone from RCI called me and gave me the info I posted. It is unfair.

Hi, we just got off the Empress today and we ordered a 5-bottle wine package for $148.00. Each package has a certain list of red and white wines you can choose from and we were pretty happy with our choices. If you don't finish the bottle at one sitting, they cork it for you and bring it the next night.

I don't believe we could have done this prior to boarding. It was offered during our first evening in the dining room. Congratulations and have a wonderful trip.

Here is a quote from their Gift and Gear page on RCCL:

Order from the list below and have your favorite bottle delivered to your stateroom or to your table at dinner. Please choose Dining Room delivery if you wish to drink your wine in the dining room (corkage fee is waived). Stateroom delivery indicates you will drink your wine in your stateroom only.

Here is a quote from their Gift and Gear page on RCCL:

Order from the list below and have your favorite bottle delivered to your stateroom or to your table at dinner. Please choose Dining Room delivery if you wish to drink your wine in the dining room (corkage fee is waived). Stateroom delivery indicates you will drink your wine in your stateroom only.

Thanks, I know people thought I was blowing smoke. Just because things were one way before, doesn't mean they are the same today. I wish some were, ie, buying liquor and paying a fee to have it in your cabin, being able to bring wine onboard if not on the list. So many changes with RCI, some make me think they don't want repeat customers, at least not the ones who knew the old way. JMHO.

Yes, I know plenty of people smuggle it, but that's not what I"m talking about.

I had read a blog about cruising and the person said you COULD bring alcohol on board that you purchased in the ports, but that it either had to 1) be taken until the end of your cruise, at which time it would be returned to you or 2) you had to pay a $9.95 corkage fee and then you could enjoy it in your room at your leisure.

Is this true?

Im not interested in smuggling or anything else illegal, but it seems to me that if I can buy a $10 bottle of rum in cabo, then pay the extra $10 for the corkage fee, it still makes my drinks cheaper than buying them on the ship.

I know, I know, it's a vacation, why not just splurge and drink the cocktails they offer? I probably will. I dont' drink much, maybe 3 drinks one night and then the other days 1 or 2 a day, so I'm sure we can afford it, but I am curious as to the policy incase I change my mind and want to drink a little more.

is the corkage fee an option?

No, they keep the bottle until the last night of the cruise. There used to be a corkage fee when they allowed you to carry on bottles of wine and champagne. Their new policy is no carry on at all (except what you buy in a visited port) and that eliminated the corkage fee. You can purchase alcohol in the ship's shops the day before your return at great prices and they let you take it to your cabin. I know that doesn't help the previous days at sea.

The above poster has it right. Something to think about if you decide to purchase booze at the port of calls is getting it home. You would have to pack it in your check-in luggage as airlines won't let you carry it on anymore. Bring bubble wrap and 2 gal plastic bags and remember the luggage weight limits if you decide to do this.

If you are just looking to save money over and above what the identical bottle would cost you at home, it's just not worth it, with the aggravation in transporting it home again under TSA regulations.

Perhaps if it is something that is totally unavailable back home, and you just HAVE TO HAVE, maybe it would be worth the nonsense.

But no, you can't take it back to your cabin, unless the workers aren't paying attention. (by the way, they often aren't paying attention)

The above is correct. The prices are EXCELLANT, much better than at home. More than 1/2 to 1/3 the price!

I always plan to buy 4 bottles off the ship, as I like to donate them for raffles. Order them early in the cruise so they don't sell out of something you really wanted. They will have them sent to your stateroom the night before you disembark. When they come, I just pack em up.

I have a small (child size) suitcase on wheels that I pack inside of my regular size 22" suitcase on wheels. I bring bubble wrap and plastic bags. The bottles are well protected and it is NOT a pain as I do it deliberate to transport them home. The suitcase is small and it's doesn't get too heavey, like my big suitcase would be IF I tried to wrap and pack them inside it. It would be overweight for sure.

SO...now that RCI has clamped down on the "booze smuggling"...the corkage fee on Celebrity is going up to $25 per bottle. I guess this means if they do not confiscate the bottle and you make it to the dining room you get to pay the $25. Or...does this mean that they will confiscate the bottle and then sell it back to you for $25...LOL!!! Whatever...FULL GREED AHEAD!!!:D

Have you checked out the wine lists??? Not one bottle less than $30...more than a triple markup...UNBELIEVABLE...OUTRAGEOUS.:eek: I guess the new rules are really protecting us!!!...from CORPORATE GENEROSITY!!! LOL!!!:D

Just got the NCL brochure. No alcohol of any kind is permitted to be brought on board when you embark. Looks like all the cruiselines may be doing the same thing.:rolleyes:

HI AQH!!! NCL has been the industry leader in booze confiscation. We stopped sailing with them because of their policies. A true Premium Market Line would not stoop to such depths. Looks like we will have to say goodbye to RCI/Celebrity too. They are clearly moving into the mass market area.

Just got the NCL brochure. No alcohol of any kind is permitted to be brought on board when you embark. Looks like all the cruiselines may be doing the same thing.:rolleyes:

Very similar language has been out there forever. Don't let that stop you.:D

HI AQH!!! NCL has been the industry leader in booze confiscation. We stopped sailing with them because of their policies. A true Premium Market Line would not stoop to such depths. Looks like we will have to say goodbye to RCI/Celebrity too. They are clearly moving into the mass market area.
Aw, c'mon, Normandie! Royal Caribbean has ALWAYS been a mass market brand!

I have heard different opinions on this from different friends and TA's. We like to bring our own wine from California for two reasons (preference and cost). Will they allow in our stateroom? Will they allow to bring to dining room? Is there a corkage fee if so?

The RCI cruise documents we received last Friday have a section called "Beverage Policy".

I don't want to write it all out here, but this may answer your immediate question.

"Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from on board shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing."

"Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc.), and will dispose of containers holding alcohol."

I have heard different opinions on this from different friends and TA's. We like to bring our own wine from California for two reasons (preference and cost). Will they allow in our stateroom? Will they allow to bring to dining room? Is there a corkage fee if so?

Well, you could probably bring wine on board in your luggage, but don't think you could bring it to the dining room, even with a corkage fee (think those days are gone). We ordered a wine package last week on the Empress and were pretty happy with it, yes, more expensive, but an okay alternative for us.

The RCI cruise documents we received last Friday have a section called "Beverage Policy".

I don't want to write it all out here, but this may answer your immediate question.

"Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use."

We always bubble wrap 2 bottles of wine and put it in our checked luggage. No problem. I've brought a glass of wine from the cabin to supper without a problem. The wine from the TA was allowed in the dining room -no corkage fee-but I am not sure if that was really acceptable. Don't forget your cork screw.

We always bubble wrap 2 bottles of wine and put it in our checked luggage. No problem. I've brought a glass of wine from the cabin to supper without a problem. The wine from the TA was allowed in the dining room -no corkage fee-but I am not sure if that was really acceptable. Don't forget your cork screw.

If you forget the corkscrew the cabin stewad will be kind enough to get you one.. I know this as fact.. I have done it.. no corkage fees, just a nice cabin steward who brought what we needed :)

ditto to above. The rules say no beverages are allowed to be brought on board at all. We always pack whatever we want in CHECKED luggage. (Never a carry on), and always gets delivered with no problems.

I too will mix a drink and take to dining room or a show and do not at all feel bad about doing so.. someone will think otherwise, and this thread will disappear fast, but that is how it goes... so those who disagree have fun and have at it.. no one will care anyways. (at least I won't):)

HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL!

I personally talked to a RCI rep this past week about their liquor policy...

Was told they are beginning to crack down system wide regarding passengers trying to bring on liquour, smuggled or not...onto all of their ships.

I was told, that if you attempt to bring on liquor they may confiscate it for the duration of your cruise, or even deny you boarding.

Then allow me to type here more of RCI's new alcohol policy as outlined in the cruise documents received last Friday. This can be found in the section titled "Beverage Policy."

"Guests who violate any alcohol policies (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Vacation Policy.

These policies are new. I do not know how thoroughly they are being inforced, but when we brought Jamaican rum from the distillery and tried to board Freedom of the Seas in Montego Bay, they had eagle-eyed people stationed at the x-ray machine and we were directed to a table of three,no less, crew who took our rum. It was returned to us the last night of the cruise.

Archived