Conde Nast

ECCruise

Aren't travel publications just a medium for selling ads... I agree with Druke, the older most established travel mags have grown pretty low utility in my mind...

As a prior poster indicated, these lines are hardly ship comparable and it seems the will-o-wisp list just sort of tracks "rack rate" fares (that's likely how Disney made it... D is expensive).

Aren't travel publications just a medium for selling ads... I agree with Druke, the older most established travel mags have grown pretty low utility in my mind...

As a prior poster indicated, these lines are hardly ship comparable and it seems the will-o-wisp list just sort of tracks "rack rate" fares (that's likely how Disney made it... D is expensive).

Conde Nast has nothing to do with the list (except to give the choices), so that eliminates anything to do with rack rates or advertising...they are voted on by their readers, whether you agree with the results (or the readers, for that matter :) )

so happy Crystal has finally been knocked off the 1st place position. I could not figure why there was all the hype around Crystal after actually sailing them

Hi Avalon :)

Since my husband and I are considering Crystal, I am curious to know what disappointed you? How do you think it compares to Celebrity?

Conde Nast has nothing to do with the list (except to give the choices), so that eliminates anything to do with rack rates or advertising...they are voted on by their readers, whether you agree with the results (or the readers, for that matter :) )

There's still so little significance to travel mag rankings, as either reader or editor surveys... The ski magazines do the same thing. Rank the ski mountain - resorts. Not surprisingly those with the most ticket sales skier visits are nearly always on top (Vail CO, Whistler BC).

So we have the same thing with cruise lines. The rankings actually signify what cruise line's pax subscribe to the magazine AND most like to participate in magazine surveys...

Which means what again?

Hello,

about my impressions of Crystal: some background: I sailed all the luxury lines and HAL and Princess over the last two years. Our Crystal cruise was an 11 night Baltic cruise in the high season at $4500pp for a obstructed view cabin (sans tips and air , etc). Tips and drinks were extra. For the price, I feel like I should have opted for Silversea or Regent (bigger cabins, all inclusive, or close to it at the time). The Crystal ship looked dated (though clean and in good shape) with tiny cabins in comparison to the suites on the other luxury lines. Even our suite on HAL was a huge step up at a similar pricepoint. The Crystal Symphony was at full capacity, lines in the lido, failed to get dinning seatings, lots of kids, etc. Not what we expected for such a high per diem line. Others in our group paid over $7500 for single balcony cabins, which were also tiny in comparison. Crystal food was fine, but nothing over Seabourn. Overall, due to the ships capacity, I found service to be only slightly better that HAL and Celebrity (with 1000 passengers how personal could it be). Could not get reservations in some of the alternative restaurants and was promptly told "no" several times when just enquiring about reservations. Overall a complete let down for FOR THE PRICE PAID. I would say Crystal is worth it on a vlaue collection cruise when the price is just over the mainstream lines. Many who love Crystal sailed when the ship was half full, good luck finding that today with a two ship fleet. When paying close to full fare, choose Regent, Seabourn or Silversea and enjoy a larger suite, all inclusiveness and open seating dinner - what you are ultimately paying for at the luxury level. I am sailing the Infinity in SA in March, my first Celebrity cruise in a few years...

There's still so little significance to travel mag rankings, as either reader or editor surveys... The ski magazines do the same thing. Rank the ski mountain - resorts. Not surprisingly those with the most ticket sales skier visits are nearly always on top (Vail CO, Whistler BC).

So we have the same thing with cruise lines. The rankings actually signify what cruise line's pax subscribe to the magazine AND most like to participate in magazine surveys...

Which means what again?

Seems to me there is a message there. They have the most ticket sales because they have the most to offer. Vail should be on top...nothing else compares. I realize we all have our favorites but lets not let that stand in the way of reality.

There's still so little significance to travel mag rankings, as either reader or editor surveys...

Very interesting way to put a spin on it this year. Last year when some of the Celebrity ships came out on top of the reviews everybody on this board said Conde Nast was the authority on cruising.

Different results this year should make you ask the question ....why is Celebrity no longer highly regarded....and not pooh pooh the results. Read through the various threads on this board about the cutbacks on Celebrity right down to where they are unwilling to serve rare steaks anymore. Does this not tell you in which direction Celebrity is heading as a cruiseline.

The readers of Conde Nast are very discerning people who will not be taken for a ride by an unscrupulous operator such as Celebrity. I believe the results to be very accurate.

Seems to me there is a message there. They have the most ticket sales because they have the most to offer. Vail should be on top...nothing else compares. I realize we all have our favorites but lets not let that stand in the way of reality.

When I left Colorado many years ago, while Aspen and Vail were the 'top' resorts, it was pretty well known that the out of staters went to those two; the Colorado people went to Breckenridge.

Dan

Best Large Ships 2006 Conde Nast Traveler Cruise Poll

1.Constellation Celebrity, 89.6

2.Millennium Celebrity, 88.8

2.Summit Celebrity, 88.8

4.Infinity Celebrity, 87.6

5.Serenade of the Seas Royal Caribbean, 87.4

6.Explorer of the Seas Royal Caribbean, 86.9

7.Galaxy Celebrity, 86.6

8.Navigator of the Seas Royal Caribbean, 85.9

9.Mercury Celebrity, 85.8

10.Radiance of the Seas Royal Caribbean, 85.7

11.Coral Princess Princess, 85.1

12.Century Celebrity, 84.9

Celebrity is the Best!!

http://www.concierge.com/bestof/cruisepoll/largeships

Hello,

about my impressions of Crystal: some background: I sailed all the luxury lines and HAL and Princess over the last two years. Our Crystal cruise was an 11 night Baltic cruise in the high season at $4500pp for a obstructed view cabin (sans tips and air , etc). Tips and drinks were extra. For the price, I feel like I should have opted for Silversea or Regent (bigger cabins, all inclusive, or close to it at the time). The Crystal ship looked dated (though clean and in good shape) with tiny cabins in comparison to the suites on the other luxury lines. Even our suite on HAL was a huge step up at a similar pricepoint. The Crystal Symphony was at full capacity, lines in the lido, failed to get dinning seatings, lots of kids, etc. Not what we expected for such a high per diem line. Others in our group paid over $7500 for single balcony cabins, which were also tiny in comparison. Crystal food was fine, but nothing over Seabourn. Overall, due to the ships capacity, I found service to be only slightly better that HAL and Celebrity (with 1000 passengers how personal could it be). Could not get reservations in some of the alternative restaurants and was promptly told "no" several times when just enquiring about reservations. Overall a complete let down for FOR THE PRICE PAID. I would say Crystal is worth it on a vlaue collection cruise when the price is just over the mainstream lines. Many who love Crystal sailed when the ship was half full, good luck finding that today with a two ship fleet. When paying close to full fare, choose Regent, Seabourn or Silversea and enjoy a larger suite, all inclusiveness and open seating dinner - what you are ultimately paying for at the luxury level. I am sailing the Infinity in SA in March, my first Celebrity cruise in a few years...

Hi Avalon :)

Thank you for responding to my post :)

Hello,

Avalon, interesting experience and thanks for posting.

We were torn between Crystal and Regent for our December honeymoon and opted for Regent. Prices were comparable but we felt we were getting a better value overall for RSSC plus I have cruised with them twice and they were my top two cruises ever.

I was concerned about getting stuck at an assigned table on Crystal with passengers whom we might not "click" with, especially after reading a recent review which pretty much validated my concerns. I wanted to be guaranteed a table for two and I enjoy the open dining on Regent.

I alos like that I can prebook restaurants on Regent 28 days out, and up til 7 before sailing; I like the mostly inclusive pricing and I LOVE the suites! The attention to detail IME was superb. And room service was excellent, which is important to us as we like breakfast on our balcony each morning.

I have not looked back since making that decision but your post certainly brought my concerns about Crystal back into focus. I will try them some day, but at this point Regent is my top choice.

Just got the November Conde Nast Traveler today. As someone alluded to yesterday, rankings for Top Large Ship Cruise Lines:

1) Regent

2) Crystal

3) Disney

4) Oceania

5) Celebrity

The above is the absolute latest poll. There is another thread where they have found some obscure poll from last February that even lists Horizon as a Celebrity ship.

And also, magazine readers can't accurately compare cruise lines that they haven't even sailed. How many readers of that magazine have sailed all those lines?

But for the record, we sailed Oceania this year and did find it significantly better than Celebrity. But then we found a Celebrity itinerary that we liked for 2007, and we are sailing Celebrity again, so itinerary is usually our first consideration along with price.

Donna

The above is the absolute latest poll. There is another thread where they have found some obscure poll from last February that even lists Horizon as a Celebrity ship.

Not obscure or old. The other thread is for the Conde Naste Poll of cruise ships for 2006, their latest poll on cruise ships. Same company you cited and this year.... Just a clarification.

Actually I meant to say obsolete. I stand corrected.

How can the latest poll be OBSOLETE....It is the latest poll done by Conde Nast on Cruise SHIPS not lines.... And please don't say because the Horizon is on the list as she was in service during the period of the poll...

How can the latest poll be OBSOLETE....It is the latest poll done by Conde Nast on Cruise SHIPS not lines.... And please don't say because the Horizon is on the list as she was in service during the period of the poll...

I would consider a poll taken in 2005 to be obsolete when they have already done the 2006 poll for, yes, the cruise ships and the cruise lines.

I would consider a poll taken in 2005 to be obsolete when they have already done the 2006 poll for, yes, the cruise ships and the cruise lines.

Not true, does not involve the ships, the poll in the other thread is the latest poll....You are simply incorrect....

Archived