outfit for flying overseas

bostonlass

Black velour Juicy sweats and hoodie that didn't have "Juicy" plastered across the butt worn with a fitted tee.

It also depends on whether or not I"m flying in the warm weather or cool weather.

I always bring a change of clothes.

I've done a few night flights back to the UK. I usually wear either jeans or comfy trousers with a T or sweater (depending on the season) and a nice cosy fleece.

I know many don't find jeans comfortable but I do. I'm not a sweats person (I feel too pyjamay in them) I wouldn't feel good arriving at LHR with them on in the morning. But that's just me being weird, they look great on everyone else! My M in L wore velour ones on a flight with us once and she looked fab.

Wear what is most comfortable for you, it really is personal preference. Just make sure you take something warm as night flights can be very cool.

I don't try to be fancy, plain sweats for this gal with stretch waist. And slip on shoes with socks as the feet tend to swell on the long flight, even though it is usually cold. Although this backfired on me in 2005 for my flight to Budapest Hungary. We arrived in Budapest at 7:30 at night to the worst heat wave they have had in May since they have been recording temps. So I was very uncomfortable in my sweats at 98 degrees. And of course had nothing in the suitcases for those kind of temps either. We hit the mall in a hurry, let me tell you. So try to take a little wear for every kind of weather and have a great time.:D

I'm with Ciderapple. I wouldn't wear sweats, jogging suits or warm-up's out in public.

I usually wear a pair of microfiber pants (if the flight is very long, 10+ hours, I sometimes change into yoga pants). I layer my tops so I can take them on and off because of their wonky heat and a/c systems - tee and cardigan or twinset, and I never wear sandals to fly because my feet get cold. I usually wear slip on shoes like loafers, (easier to get through security) with socks. On the plane, I put the airline socks that come with the amenity kit on as well.

I also don't care for sweats or jogging suits.

I have a very comfortable pantsuit in a material that is designed to be a bit crinkly--so it doesn't show wrinkles. I can wear it with a T or a sweater, depending on the weather.

I fly internationally on business all the time and have found that coordinated "leisure" outfits (like by Sports Savvy at QVC) work best. I wear pants, tee shirt and jacket so I can adjust if the cabin gets too cold or too hot. I try to buy "breathable" fabric like cotton with spandex. It is comfortable and resists wrinkles. You don't want anything tight or constricting. Also wear shoes that are easy to slip on and off (since you will have to remove your shoes at security check and you will want to remove them during flight).

I like the Chico's Travellers collection. Very comfortable, doesn't wrinkle and you can mix & match all kinds of pieces. They are for the more <ack> mature woman and are very flattering to a lot of different shapes. I understand that the QVC product is similar, but haven't tried it.

And being a charter member of the Feet Carved From a Block of Ice Club, I bring an extra pair of socks or slipper socks to wear.

What is it about airplanes and the way that they can turn your feet into blocks of ice? No where do my feet get as cold as they do when I fly!

It's the air outside at the altitude your at that is so cold and why your feet are cold. The airplanes heat comes from above.

I like Juicy outfits as well for flying, comfy yet still stylish.;)

I fly internationally on business all the time and have found that coordinated "leisure" outfits (like by Sports Savvy at QVC) work best. I wear pants, tee shirt and jacket so I can adjust if the cabin gets too cold or too hot. I try to buy "breathable" fabric like cotton with spandex. It is comfortable and resists wrinkles. You don't want anything tight or constricting. Also wear shoes that are easy to slip on and off (since you will have to remove your shoes at security check and you will want to remove them during flight).

Hi Linda:) I am in the process of trying to decide on which

Sports Savy outfit to purchase;)...so many choices.....

I shop on the Q quite often and ordered Sports Savy once

a long time ago.

I am one of these gals who likes lots of different materials.

Knits, breathable cotton..luckly, I only have to fly 40 minutes

next cruise:D

I've done several international flights, and the long flight combined with little or interrupted sleep and the time changes can be really tough on you physically, so think comfort!

The layering thing is probably the most important because cabins can range from ice cold to stifling hot. I also like slip on shoes..I can slip them off while seated and get more comfortable, then slip 'em back on easily when I or the passenger next to me needs to get up. Comfy socks are a must for me--my feet get like ice too. Don't hesitate to get a blanket and pillow from the overhead bins...even if you don't think you'll need it.

One other thing I always take on my international flights is my fleece covered, poly filled neck pillow which lets you sleep more comfortably sitting up...it keeps your head from falling forward or sideways. Unless you've got a window seat, it's nearly impossible to sleep comfortably without it. I bought mine at an airport several years ago, and it was a lifesaver.

In short, bring a good book or some magazines, lots of good snacks, and settle in for a long night. If you're prepared, comfortable, and entertained, it will go much faster and you'll be more rested when you get there.

Have a great trip! :)

I wear either yoga pants or pants with built in stretch, a shelf bra cami, and an over shirt or sweater, and slip on sandals. I'm thinking of getting through security without getting wanded as well as sleeping on the plane. The closer I can get to pajamas the better. Though when I'm heading for Europe it's 11 or 12 hours, so I'm needing to sleep. Weirdly, I don't get cold feet on the plane, and yet right now in my kitchen....

My usual outfit is a twinset (cardigan and shell) that's fairly lightweight. The one I'm planning to wear on our Atlanta to Rome flight next week is silk and cotton, leopard print. Pants have to be comfortable, I could never wear jeans. I have some black pants that are somewhat like yoga pants but look dressier. And I usually wear either mules or some type of soft loafer (like driving mocs). I take 'em off once onboard and put on my thick socks!

You know, I've tried those neck pillow things, but my neck must be out of kilter, because I never find them comfortable! Of course, nothing is all that comfortable when you have to spend 8+ hours sitting (and sleeping) in a cramped, upright position!

When we fly overnight, I usually wear Jeans, cotton slacks, or an Addidas jogging suit. It depends upon the season & destination. DH will wear dockers with a nice shirt & sweater.

The most comfortable things to wear for long flights are natural fibers, such as cotton, linen, or wool.

I am looking forward to a 13hr flight to Honolulu soon, so I'll bring a change of tops in my carryon bag.

Hope that this helps.

Barb

You know, I've tried those neck pillow things, but my neck must be out of kilter, because I never find them comfortable! Of course, nothing is all that comfortable when you have to spend 8+ hours sitting (and sleeping) in a cramped, upright position!

The most comfortable one for me is the one you blow up. I would never have thought so until I tried it. The ones filled with buckwheat or give off a fragrance will mangle my sinuses. The ones that are filled with the pellet-like beads (not pellets, but I cannot think of the word), have no support for me.

I have yet to fly more than 6 hours and I'm pretty whiney just doing that. I'd probably do yoga pants with a soft jacket and sleeveless T underneath. But, even a short flight, I have to be comfortable. I actually like wearing a knit skirt or dress, hitting about mid-calf when I fly. It's easier to manage in the loo.

If only we could just click our heels and be there!

Don't hesitate to get a blanket and pillow from the overhead bins...even if you don't think you'll need it.

Once you've seen someone place their baby on it when changing their diaper, you'll never use them again! :D

I bring my own blanket. It's especially made for airplanes, is very thin yet warm and costs about $5.00. I also bring my own pillow for long flights. I bring either one of those 'C' shaped blow up ones, or I bring a small travel pillow that's the same size as the airline pillow and covered with a very soft 1000 count cotton sateen.

When I fly internationally, I fly business class and the blankets are shrink-wrapped in plastic and appear to be new, but I still don't trust that they're not recycled. Sometimes I'll use of them them on my feet but then use my own around my upper body.

The most comfortable one for me is the one you blow up. I would never have thought so until I tried it. The ones filled with buckwheat or give off a fragrance will mangle my sinuses. The ones that are filled with the pellet-like beads (not pellets, but I cannot think of the word), have no support for me.

I have yet to fly more than 6 hours and I'm pretty whiney just doing that. I'd probably do yoga pants with a soft jacket and sleeveless T underneath. But, even a short flight, I have to be comfortable. I actually like wearing a knit skirt or dress, hitting about mid-calf when I fly. It's easier to manage in the loo.

If only we could just click our heels and be there!

I'll have to try that kind.

I've had to do a lot more long-distance flying in recent years (work and vacation) and I've found the best thing is to just get as comfortable as you can and then SLEEP. If it's a night flight, I usually try to eat in the airport before boarding (generally better than airline food, as I usually don't fly first class). Then, once on board and in the air, I'll take a couple of Tylenol PM, put on my sleep mask and my thick socks, and hopefully drift off...

I agree with Jane about the blankets and pillows. I usually carry a very fine wool shawl with me that I use as a blanket. I tend to dress warmly for flights, so I'm not generally cold.

I flew to Hawaii from Atlanta this summer (9 hours), but it didn't seem too bad either way. Guess I've just adjusted.

Archived