Sharing a soda card

When did they lower the soda card price. I thought it was around $54 for the week with the 15% gratuity included.

I don't think they did lower it. It is $6 a day for adults plus gratuity. Has been that as long as I can remember.

Considering its fountain soda which is so cheap and that RCI is already over charging a considerable amount, personally I think they're ripping you off as opposed to you sharing your soda card stealing from them.

You pay for the card, you've paid for however many sodas come with it. They shouldn't be able to dictate who drinks them. If you buy a bottle of soda at the supermarket, does it mandate on your receipt that only one person may drink?

This isn't meant to incite any flame wars. Just if you do the math, they're not losing any money. They're still making alot of profit because it is fountain soda and not cans.

Interesting approach, but your math is incorrect. If I buy a bottle of soda at the store for $X, I am buying a set, finite amount for a set, finite price. It is not at all akin to buying an "all you can drink" soda package. An equivalent would be if I paid the store $X and was allowed to go in at any time and take as much soda as I wanted. It has nothing to do with who is allowed to drink the finite bottle of soda purchased from the store.

A more apples to apples comparision is if you go to a buffet and pay for one person, but expect to share with others. In this case, the "all you can eat" is for one customer, not one customer and their family. The soda package is a per person deal. It's specifically stated as for the person who purchases it (and has the sticker on their Sea Pass) and no one else. So, yes it does matter who drinks it and they do get to say who is allowed use it.

I agree with those who've mentioned that if the cruise lines wanted to get serious about it, they'd enforce it. It's up to each person to decide how much their honesty is worth to them. And that's what it is. You buy a soda package under terms you agree to abide by: All one person can drink (not two, not one plus someone else part of the time, but one). If it doesn't bother you to not honor that agreement that's between you and your conscience.

Are you serious? Stealing? This person has obviously has never purchased a beer from these criminals. Fountain sodas cost less than a nickel a cup.

Fountain soda is inexpensive and it's one of those items which has a very high markup. However, the statement that it costs "less than a nickel" in not accurate. It's a common misconception that does not take into account the equipment used, equipment maintenance, personnel required to dispense/clean/maintain the soda and equipment, etc.

beachchick

People rant about soda card sharing but they don't seem to think anything is wrong with tipping bartenders early and extra to get 'better service' and free drinks.

There are never any threads about the morality of bartender bribing in order for them to help people steal alcoholic drinks. I wonder why that is.

People rant about soda card sharing but they don't seem to think anything is wrong with tipping bartenders early and extra to get 'better service' and free drinks.

There are never any threads about the morality of bartender bribing in order for them to help people steal alcoholic drinks. I wonder why that is.

Smuggling booze aboard the ship seems to be a pretty acceptable practice too. Somehow, when alcohol is involved all bets are off.

DH and I bought the Soda Package on our first cruise to see how much we would actually use it. After that, we discovered we were drinking water more than we thought we would, so we now we just don't buy it. We pack a twelve pack of diet Mt Dew in our luggage, have the room steward empty our refrigerator in the stateroom, and when we want a soda, we have our favorite!!

And then we have everyone on the cruise ship trying to buy one off of us....lol

I don't buy a soda card. I pack a 6-pack in my luggage. In other words, I am stealing the $12 I would have paid RC had I bought the soda on board. I am stealing by taking advantage of a loop hole (preparing for law school).

How much you want to bet that the policy will soon be revised to specify that no beverages may be brought on board? Then what will the moral authorities fall back on?

P.S., SheilaSailAway is my hero. The "vocabulary lesson" her post elicited from officially put this thread in the pathetic category. I have 2 English degrees (toot toot!). When you can't argue with content, you can always argue with word choice.

I accept thanks in advance for keeping this valuable thread alive.

Merry Christmas!

First time cruise with the kids. One kid loves juice (all day long) and drinks an occassional Sprite. Let's say we buy him a soda/juice card. Knowing how kids are, he drinks half the glass.

Here's the dilema: Do we throw out the drink because if DH, DD or I drink it, we are stealing from RCCL or do we throw it out and then be accused of wasting?

I can't believe this thread is still going. Use some common sense people. For the people talking about the cost, don't consider just the cost of the drink, think how much you would pay for one if you were 1000 miles from anywhere. Come on if $40 breaks, you cruising in the wrong vacation.

Yeah just like going to an all you can eat buffet restaurant and l share my food with my partner. I guess it´s OK as long as I only take one plate at a time:rolleyes:

Always interesting to see how people try to justify their wrong actions, or should I say theft in this case again.

You are so right. Stealing is stealing is stealing is stealing-------

I just can't believe the way some people think. Just because someone broke the rule of speeding, it has to mean he/she would steal, right? Ridiculous.

Those of you with children and sharing the card are setting great examples for them. For those without children, I'm sure that because RCI has more money than you, they deserve your stealing.

As with so many other things, the soda cards will disappear because of the cheaters.

First time cruise with the kids. One kid loves juice (all day long) and drinks an occassional Sprite. Let's say we buy him a soda/juice card. Knowing how kids are, he drinks half the glass.

Here's the dilema: Do we throw out the drink because if DH, DD or I drink it, we are stealing from RCCL or do we throw it out and then be accused of wasting?

This thread is from 2006 and at that time it was a juice/soda card. It is now only a soda card so no dilemna at all, if you buy a juice, drink it.

As with so many other things, the soda cards will disappear because of the cheaters.

The soda card will only disappear when RCI thinks that they will make more money without them than with them. And if that becomes the case it will happen whether or not people have been cheating.

The soda card will only disappear when RCI thinks that they will make more money without them than with them. And if that becomes the case it will happen whether or not people have been cheating.

I think that those who get special favors from their waiters, including free soda or alcoholic drinks, should stop announcing it in the forum. If any cruise line company gets wind of this and starts to impose stricter rules on the crew, these extras may disappear.:(

I think that those who get special favors from their waiters, including free soda or alcoholic drinks, should stop announcing it in the forum. If any cruise line company gets wind of this and starts to impose stricter rules on the crew, these extras may disappear.:(

What free beverage? ;)

Considering its fountain soda which is so cheap and that RCI is already over charging a considerable amount, personally I think they're ripping you off as opposed to you sharing your soda card stealing from them. /quote]

They can charge whatever they want; it is your choice to make the purchase or not. Although they do not appear to actively stop people from sharing soda cards, and certainly I have not heard of them prosecuting anybody, it is technically speaking a form of stealing called Theft of Service. For those not familiar with this term, here is good ole Wikipeidia's definition:

Theft of services is the legal term for a crime which is committed when a person obtains valuable services — as opposed to goods — by deception, force, threat or other unlawful means, i.e., without lawfully compensating the provider of said services. It may also overlap with some types of fraud in which payment is made on credit, but under an assumed identity, and ultimately disavowed ("Identity theft").

Crimes of this sort are typically prosecuted as larceny, and may be either a misdemeanor or a felony, based upon the value of the services illegally obtained. This category encompasses a wide variety of criminal activity including, but not limited to, tampering with (or bypassing) a utility meter so that the true level of consumption is understated; leaving a hotel or restaurant or similar establishment without paying for the service; and "turnstile jumping" or other methods of evading the payment of a fare or fee when using a public transit vehicle or entering a private facility normally requiring payment (e.g., amusements). Theft of this sort should not be confused with reasonable rejection, where, for example, a customer does not pay because the services provided were not as advertised.

I can feel the heat building, folks. I know this thread has the potential to burst into flames soon, so let's remember to address the topic not other members. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, even if it's wrong. :D

Happy holidays!

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

Karen,

I was reading this thread, and feeling a wierd feeling, and only when I got to your post did I look at the date, and that didn't seem to fit, so I looked at my phone it shows 12/21, and then I looked at my watch and it said 12/20, and then I looked the calendar in outlook 12/21. At which point I realized my watch had been wrong all month, and that I need to move my watch a day, and that this thread was a year old retread. I guess it is be resurrected so that we can all celebrate it's birthday tomorrow. Happy birthday to you dear coke share thread, happy birthday to you. I, also, now realized the humor of the $42 that people are trying to save by "sharing" a coke card, and that the cause that is truly today, is the fuel surcharge, and I am chuckling to myself. Thanks for letting me share!:D

jc

Considering its fountain soda which is so cheap and that RCI is already over charging a considerable amount, personally I think they're ripping you off as opposed to you sharing your soda card stealing from them. /quote]

They can charge whatever they want; it is your choice to make the purchase or not. Although they do not appear to actively stop people from sharing soda cards, and certainly I have not heard of them prosecuting anybody, it is technically speaking a form of stealing called Theft of Service. For those not familiar with this term, here is good ole Wikipeidia's definition:

Theft of services is the legal term for a crime which is committed when a person obtains valuable services — as opposed to goods — by deception, force, threat or other unlawful means, i.e., without lawfully compensating the provider of said services. It may also overlap with some types of fraud in which payment is made on credit, but under an assumed identity, and ultimately disavowed ("Identity theft").

Crimes of this sort are typically prosecuted as larceny, and may be either a misdemeanor or a felony, based upon the value of the services illegally obtained. This category encompasses a wide variety of criminal activity including, but not limited to, tampering with (or bypassing) a utility meter so that the true level of consumption is understated; leaving a hotel or restaurant or similar establishment without paying for the service; and "turnstile jumping" or other methods of evading the payment of a fare or fee when using a public transit vehicle or entering a private facility normally requiring payment (e.g., amusements). Theft of this sort should not be confused with reasonable rejection, where, for example, a customer does not pay because the services provided were not as advertised.

Are you a sea lawyer?

Or just play one on TV:)

Archived