Bon Voyage Grumpy1 & Slinkie & Prinsendam 1/5 CC'ers

Ziggy7

Well Grumpy, I'm sorry to hear you won't be on the cruise - I was looking forward to another journal! - but am very glad you are on the mend now and I wish you a very speedy recovery. And best wishes to Slinkie of course. You are lucky you have her to take care of you!

Grumpy....... I'm so sorry to hear of this unfortunate event in your life. Frightening stuff but you seem to be doing great. Follow your doc's and Slinkie's orders and we'll be reading your 'From Aboard' journal before we know it.

Wishing you all the very best. Hope you have a full and speedy recovery.

Grumpy....... I'm so sorry to hear of this unfortunate event in your life. Frightening stuff but you seem to be doing great. Follow your doc's and Slinkie's orders and we'll be reading your 'From Aboard' journal before we know it.

Wishing you all the very best. Hope you have a full and speedy recovery.

Grumpy ............sure hope "YOUR HEART and ARTERIES" realize how disappointed we all are that we won't be READING your Journal of this Prinsendam cruise. Takes a lot of nerve doing that to such a nice guy and good writer!!

Hope you're feeling better each day. By the way HOW's THE NURSE holding up?? Tell her hello from K2!! ;)

Hi Grumpy & Slinky --

Oh dear me! How disappointing. But it is good to hear you are on the mend though and looking forward to a future cruise.

I haven't read or written a post since last Feb -- had 3 surgeries & 8 mos chemo, but am all well again. At least I feel great again, so we signed up for a 28 day cruise Oct 6 on our beloved Prinsendam, from Rome, Med Sea, Black Sea, Greek Isles, Egypt, back to Rome. Can't wait. Why don't you join us?

Just get well and really enjoyed meeting & visiting with you on the last

World Cruise.

Hi Grumpy & Slinky --

Oh dear me! How disappointing. But it is good to hear you are on the mend though and looking forward to a future cruise.

I haven't read or written a post since last Feb -- had 3 surgeries & 8 mos chemo, but am all well again. At least I feel great again, so we signed up for a 28 day cruise Oct 6 on our beloved Prinsendam, from Rome, Med Sea, Black Sea, Greek Isles, Egypt, back to Rome. Can't wait. Why don't you join us?

Just get well and really enjoyed meeting & visiting with you on the last

World Cruise.

How great it is to hear from you again, Marianne. I'm delighted to hear that you have recovered from the surgery and chemo. Having done a 16 day Rome to Istanbul on Prinsendam this past September, I can safely say you will really enjoy your planned cruise. I don't think it would be a good time for us to try to join you, but one never knows for sure... The Grumpy one can do things on an impulse at times...

Well the ships is just pulling out, I am sorry to hear that you couldn't make it Grumpy I had shown your pic to my mom in hopes you could all meet up, well maybe next time. I hope you are feeling better.
Thank you, I am feeling pretty good, but I was really looking forward to that salt air breeze cure for whatever ails me. I wonder if someone got an upgrade at the last minute to a really nice starboard side SY cabin?

Grumpy, if I may be so bold as to ask a personal question---

You were planning to take the Maasdam CC group cruise next June, I believe. Is that still in the "hope to" plan?

If you're recovery time frame goes anything like mine did your cardiologist should be able to let you know around the time of final payment.

Hi Jerry,

We are so shocked to hear about your heart attack! Sounds like you are in the best of care right now, and Wilda is surely the best nurse you will ever meet!

Wishing you a quick recovery!

Bill & Mary Ann

We are still hoping to meet up with the two of you again on a great HAL ship. I will always have the picture of you two walking the deck below us and Jerry saying it would be great to have a couple of water balloons to drop as you came around again. haha. More fun ahead, as he is feeling great again and ready for all activities here at home. Write me, aol, wildas123.

Slinkie

Grumpy, if I may be so bold as to ask a personal question---

You were planning to take the Maasdam CC group cruise next June, I believe. Is that still in the "hope to" plan?

If you're recovery time frame goes anything like mine did your cardiologist should be able to let you know around the time of final payment.

No, Ruth, the Maasdam cruise isn't on my "hope to" list... it's on my "wild horses won't keep me away" list!:D

Since I don't have anything better to do for the next few months, I got elected president of our condo board today.:eek: Yeah, the heart attack must have fried a few brain cells:rolleyes:

No, Ruth, the Maasdam cruise isn't on my "hope to" list... it's on my "wild horses won't keep me away" list!:D

Since I don't have anything better to do for the next few months, I got elected president of our condo board today.:eek: Yeah, the heart attack must have fried a few brain cells:rolleyes:

OMG. Nothing is going to keep this ole Grumpy down. Take care of yourself.

Goodness Grumpy...........are you trying to TEST the new STINTS out by taking the Presidents job of the Condo Association?? :eek:

It would have been better to just get on the HAL and tough out the cruise!! :D

Seriously, hope you're on the mend and doing much better.

Sincere wishes from Downunder for a totally full recovery thanks to the miracle of stents......from one who knows!!.

We are very sad to not have the pleasure now of looking forward to following

your South American saga.....it only makes your next "must do" and "wild horses" Maasdam in June cruise all the more reason for us to countdown

the days till you next sail!!.......we send you, Grumpy1 and Sllnkie, heaps

of happy thoughts..stay positive.....Kia Ora

OKAY I THOUGHT YOU WERE BRIGHT, INTELLIGENT, AND SMART......NO YOUR NOT ....JUST KIDDING, WE BELIEVE THIS WILL GET YOU BACK ON BOARD. FEEL WELL, AND SLINKIE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. HAPPY SAILING ALSAS

Well Grumpy. as we say down here "what a bugger". I just snuk over to this Board to see if there were any of your famous (or infamous) reports happening and see I wont have much to read for a while! As everyone has said, "thank heavens it happened at home" my other half had his attention getting heart attack JUST after we got home from MONGOLIA!! Can you imagine it happening there? You also mentioned it could have been more interesting way out at sea somewhere....well on our cruise one poor bloke did have a heart attack way out at sea......first a helicopter arrived from a Coast Guard ship.....they couldn't do anything...apparently didn't have enough fuel....so then we did a U Turn and headed back towards India.....an Indian Coast Guard met us halfway and the man was transfered for a rather rough 8 hour trip back to India!! So I suppose it was "more interesting" but NOT quite what you need during a heart attack!! (Heard later the man recovered and was doing fine.....so even in the middle of nowhere you can still be lucky)

Anyway rest up, get all the attention you can (while you can)....and plan the next cruise so we all have something to read!

I've not been reading the boards for a couple of days. When I clicked in and saw this thread I was looking forward to a good hour of reading your trip. To say the least I was shocked and surprised about your misfortune. I wish you well.

The two things that this thread have been reinforced for me is to buy insurance and call 911 earlier rather than later.

Take care.

Hi Jerry, glad to see you're back on line; although as I recall, while talking to Wilda to see how you were doing, she mentioned that you were trying to get on line during your stay in the hospital. You just couldn't find a hot spot, that's dedication!?

Bill

I have not been diligent in reading the boards lately so I was very sad to hear about your heart attack. Your posts are gems -- even your explanation of your heart attack was filled with your unique sense of humor. I'll miss not hearing your play by play of the circle South America trip but I look forward to many trips in the future. Sorry about the Buckeyes but they always will have next year. (look on the bright side - they won 11 games - I'm a Washington Husky fan and they have been terrible the last few years ) Take care and drink lots of chicken soup.

Grumpy

I have been awaiting your cruise report of South America on the Pdam with a degree of excitement equivalent to what I experience with one of my own cruises (of which two are now scheduled) so I was saddened on many levels when I tuned in today and learned of your incident.

I had 4 stents inserted in June 05 yet still made our september med cruise that year and the 2006 Circle WV all without a hitch. With modern cardiology you seem as good as new (whatever that may be ) within days. You may remember that I asked you a few questions about insurance back then as I was waffling.

As disappointing as it may seem, I'm sure it was auspicious timing as I'm not sure you would want South American docs playing with the piping in most of your scheduled stops. I had an incident just before the Sechelles that sure looked like a heart attack but proved to be gastric and when the ships doc inquired about the facilities on the island, they learned that they were better equiped on the ship so they would likely have kept me aboard until India in any event which is also scary.

Grux and I wish you a speedy recovery and many more well reported cruises.

Ides

We are certainly disappointed that we are not doing a "live from the Prinsendam" report right now. I guess the closest I can get would be to check the Panama Canal Webcams tomorrow (Jan 11) and watch her sail through without me.:(

Hi Jerry, glad to see you're back on line; although as I recall, while talking to Wilda to see how you were doing, she mentioned that you were trying to get on line during your stay in the hospital. You just couldn't find a hot spot, that's dedication!? Bill
No, it wasn't dedication, it was absolute boredom! I had a strong wireless connection, but could not get enough bandwidth to load the boards before timing out. Fortunately, Slinkie had brought the telephone cord and I still had dialup AOL available, so there was a way to get on.

As everyone has said, "thank heavens it happened at home" my other half had his attention getting heart attack JUST after we got home from MONGOLIA!!
Well, I would have been quite happy for mine to wait until AFTER the cruise, but that's the way it goes...

Sorry about the Buckeyes but they always will have next year. (look on the bright side - they won 11 games - I'm a Washington Husky fan and they have been terrible the last few years ) Take care and drink lots of chicken soup
It's going to take something a lot stronger than chicken soup to get over that game... We've adopted the state of Florida, and do root for their sports teams... except when they play "our" teams. Thanks for the condolences. Hope your Huskies improve...

As disappointing as it may seem, I'm sure it was auspicious timing as I'm not sure you would want South American docs playing with the piping in most of your scheduled stops. I had an incident just before the Sechelles that sure looked like a heart attack but proved to be gastric and when the ships doc inquired about the facilities on the island, they learned that they were better equiped on the ship so they would likely have kept me aboard until India in any event which is also scary.
I'm sure there are many places in South America where one would receive excellent medical care, but my luck would be to find the one place that is still served by the tribal "doctor". I know that there are a lot of very good doctors from South America and India, but the facilities might be the weak link in many areas.

All is going well so far. The hospital decided to see how strong my heart is now... they sent me the bill for my 5 day stay:eek: $101,334.52 and they go on to note that this does NOT include my attending Physician, the ER physicians, radiologists, pathologists, surgeons, anesthesiologists, consulting physicians and others. As best I can figure, my actual out-of-pocket expenses will probably be $128.00. (The annual Medicare deductible) My rich uncle picks up the rest. But he has negotiated a pretty good discount. That $101,334.52 has already been knocked down to $13,836.76.

I have been pleased with the response from my T/A and HAL so far. HAL has already refunded all of the onboard packages and excursions that I had purchased directly through them. They have also refunded the port charges and taxes directly instead of through insurance. There is a $120 difference between the amount that the T/A said would be refunded by HAL and what was actually refunded that I will have to investigate. The letter from the T/A said to expect that refund in 4 to 6 weeks. It was credited to my card the same day the letter arrived.

I had also purchased several excursions through my T/A and those have also been credited. The paperwork for the claim seems quite simple, so there shouldn't be any problems getting my refund.

Bottom line.... I'm sure glad I have good insurance!!

All is going well so far. The hospital decided to see how strong my heart is now... they sent me the bill for my 5 day stayeek.gif $101,334.52 and they go on to note that this does NOT include my attending Physician, the ER physicians, radiologists, pathologists, surgeons, anesthesiologists, consulting physicians and others. As best I can figure, my actual out-of-pocket expenses will probably be $128.00. (The annual Medicare deductible) My rich uncle picks up the rest. But he has negotiated a pretty good discount. That $101,334.52 has already been knocked down to $13,836.76

Yikes! I'm sooo glad I live in the "frozen tundra" and we don't have to face charges like that. By the way, we are experiencing the first major blizzard in about 20 years that closed the entire city down. Fortunately for me I'm at home nursing a back injury, so didn't have to leave the house. Grumpy, I hope you're feeling better by the day, but take it easy and try not to do everything all at once so that you can go out and enjoy your next cruises with wild abandon.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

Archived