Taking WINE on Ship

UBinfwa

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess on Feb 11th.

The couple we are sailing with are hung up on the new Princess provision whicxh states YOU ARE ALLOWED ONLY to bring on board ONE bottle of wine.

I have had the impression from reading these boards for months that Princess is not enforcing this rule change......

I would appreciate any advice from recent cruisers...........

Thanks from chilly Indiana............. GO COLTS.........

UB:rolleyes:

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess on Feb 11th.

The couple we are sailing with are hung up on the new Princess provision whicxh states YOU ARE ALLOWED ONLY to bring on board ONE bottle of wine.

I have had the impression from reading these boards for months that Princess is not enforcing this rule change......

I would appreciate any advice from recent cruisers...........

Thanks from chilly Indiana............. GO COLTS.........

UB:rolleyes:

Hey UB...we're leaving this Sunday on the CB and are bringing about a 1/2 case of wine/champagne with us. We've brought vino with us on almost every cruise we've been on and...knock on wood...never had a problem! I wouldn't worry too much about it...you should be fine. I wish I could post here for you when I get back...but fortunately for you...you'll already be onboard!!!

On another note...I'm originally from Indianapolis and loved Tony Dungy when he was here with the Bucs...so I'm sooooooooooooo excited to see the Colts whoop the Bear's butts!!! I can't wait to watch the big game on MUTS!!!

Wow...I made a rhyme!!! Sorry...I can be a little corny sometimes!

Anyway...have a great time on your cruise...and good luck with the wine!

Ciao-

We usually bring one each. With weight limits on bags for air travel, it really isn't possible for us to bring more.

I view the wine/beer/liquor rules as 1) a response to negative publicity generated from the disappearance of George Smith from an RCL ship in 2005 and 2) a policy that could be enforced during a cruise should someone become a security problem due to excessive alcohol consumption.

Example 1 is just a "we've got to do something to cover our butts."

Example 2 gives security personnel on board the ability to exert control over situations that have gotten or have the potential to get out of hand. Without the policy, the only thing that could be done with those who become disruptive due to excessive consumption of personal supplies of liquor would be forced disembarkation.

Princess's web page indicates each passenger may bring a bottle of wine or champagne on board.

Who knows what they will allow you to actually bring onboard. But that's Princess' own rule above, so that's the minimum you may plan to bring................<sorry I did not provide the Princess link....I couldn't find it tonight! But I know it's current, I read it this morning>

I just boarded the Star on the 27th. I carried in a case of wine in a wine case (looks like a music gear road case) plus 4 bottles in 2 knapsacks.

I was asked a couple of time by security what was in the road case. I told em. No-one cared.

The corkage at dinner was 15.00 a bottle.

The wine, was specific vintages of french n italien that cannot be purchased aboard the Star, although, there was a nice barolo 2001 (rated 92/100 on wine spectator) for a very reasonable sub $50.00 price.

If I'd known this, and Princess wine lists were readily available on line (of course the lists do not provide vintages), I might have brought on less.

The only negative on Princess, is unlike HAL or X, a sommelier is not provided at dinner, so the Ass't waiter has to uncork, pour, and they don't do it properly (which is ok, as long as you can drink it-lol) nor are they attentative, to wine or drinks, because they are really working hard serving dinner proper. They also don't have decanteurs, so you have to go in lowering one's expectations (lol)

We all rated the food beter than hal n X, especially in variery of selection, which undoubedtly made the fine wine tatse even better...

Hope this helps...

jc

Toronto

... 1/25 on the Dawn Princess.. Security said "I know where the party is going to be"

This must be the "company line" :D as security personnel said exactly the same thing to DH and I when we embarked the Dawn on 1/25. We had four bottle of wine (1 Champagne) in a wine carton from our favorite vendor at home.

Chris

... 1/25 on the Dawn Princess.. Security said "I know where the party is going to be"

This must be the "company line" :D as security personnel said exactly the same thing to DH and I when we embarked the Dawn on 1/25. We had four bottles of wine (1 Champagne) in a wine carton from our favorite vendor at home.

Chris

Went with our group on the Crown Jan 27th and had no problem, we actually took about 6 bottles of wine as well as bottles of vodka, gin, and rum.....packed nicely and cozy in our luggage and then took some as carryon - no problems.

At dinner the head waiter came around and actually said that the bottle of red wine that we had was too good to be in the bottle and offered to decant it for us. He knew his wines, but unfortunately we were not going to drink the whole bottle, so we declined the decanting.

Next time - we will open it right away at dinner (have the $15 corkage fee) and drink the whole thing!

We bought a few bottles and a box of wine (for in cabin consumption) in Fort Lauderdale to take on our Sun Princess cruise in December. We did not have any problems carrying them on. And in every port, the sign posted where passengers came back onboard the ship said that passengers must check bottles of liquor but were allowed to take purchases of wine and champagne back to their cabins.

Our waiter charged us corkage on one bottle of wine and did not on three. We also purchased a few bottles in the dining room plus drinks in the bars.

I am on the Grand Princess. We brought two 5-liter box-o-wines on the ship in Galveston. They were in my carry-on. Nobody said a word. The next time I brought stuff on was yesterday in Cozumel. Poured four bottles of wine into water bottles and put in carry on bag. Nobody cared. Got stuff at the duty free as well. Got on the ship and the booze guy asked if we had anything. We said no and got on the elevator--- no problem. Hope this helps. BillfromPa.

I took wine, rum and mixers aboard the CP, last summer, no problem. We actually brought some of the wine home, as we didn't spend enough time in our cabin, to drink it.

We took one bottle to dinner, to share with our new friends and were charged $15. If this is added to the cost of the wine, it is better value to purchase the wine from the wine list and far less hastle.

The main lesson I have learn't is not to worry too much about what I can or can't take with me. Just enjoy the experience, as I spend months anticipating it.:)

vttea, my husband and I always have a bottle of wine or champagne on deck and nothing has ever been said to us. It's nice to fine a secluded spot at sunset and enjoy a fine bottle of wine. I have gone as far as to ask at one of the outdoor bars for two wine glasses and not a word was said.:)

All this wine talk has got me wondering: Is it okay to bring a bottle of wine on deck, to share while relaxing on a couple lounge chairs, say as a night cap?

Absolutely. The only time a corkage fee applies is when you bring a bottle to the dining room. On the last day of our eastern Caribbean cruise on the Grand we stood at the bow with a bottle of champagne and watched the sunset. Can't wait to do it again.

Excellent news, thank you! We prefer to enjoy wine as a dessert than as a beverage with dinner anyway. Maybe we'll even pack some of those disposable plastic wine stemmed cups, so not to impose on the bar with our frugalness.

Hey, any prohibitions about doing the same during Movies Under The Stars? (Any wine conoisseurs know what goes best with popcorn?? j/k!)

-Steven

We plan on bringing wine/champaign on the CB next month. My question is: would it be better to send it on board with our luggage...(packed in a box with a luggage tag) or to carry it on board with our carry-on luggage? If we give it to the porters what are the chances of breakage? Will it arrive safely? any experiences with this?We'll also be bringing some vodka and rum on board. (there are 5 adults in our party). Can we pack that with the wine or should we put it in our luggage? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. Happy cruising all.

Archived