Did anyone else notice?

RuthC

All of the cruiseline and Roll-Call Forums are now "Members Only". That means that you cannot lurk on any of these boards without registering and logging in. And that means there are fewer people attempting to read all these pearls of wisdom.

The second thing I noticed is that the screens are changing much quicker, and I haven't gotten the dreaded WSOD once today. :)

Coincidence? I think not. :D (at least I hope not.)

Hi Ruth,

I started to notice the "Members Only" a couple of days ago but didn't take any notice until you posted just now.

What does it mean? Any ideas!

I have found C.C. to be still slow and had trouble bringing up Quick Reply just now.

Jennie

Yes, I too have noticed that sections are these boards are "members only." In some ways it is a shame, sometimes people "lurk" around the boards and see what they are about before they sign up and join in. Some people can be intimidated by having to sign up and therefore may not take advantage of the information on these boards.

Barbara

It says "until Mar 10". I don't remember any WSODs today, but response not much faster for me.

Oh, I didn't notice the notice. :o Last night I noticed when I logged out that I couldn't get back to the HAL board. That was the first time that had happened. Today I saw the "(Members Only)" limitation on the main board.

I have noticed I'm completing several fewer solitare games between screen changes, though. :rolleyes:

I never ever log out at work or at home so I have never seen that. I totally think it will cause a problem for the thousands of lurkers. I have several friends that read the board who have never posted or signed up. Also when I do my "Live" repsorts when on a cruise I always send the link to many of my friends that follow it. Also what about all the people on the ship that we know read the boards but are not members. This is really unfortunate:(

I don't log out but the system seems to be logging me out every so often. I've noticed it several times today. When I refreshed, I was getting the message about no new posts for the last 100 days. Then I started noticing that it wasn't showing me as being logged in. Must be some system bug. Gesundheit, CC board! :D

While the various technical workings of the Boards are, frankly, something of a mystery to me (I ignore them complete except when they don't work, and then I just complain incessantly to the people who are responsible ;) ...), my understanding is that the software we use was not able to cope with the amount of traffic we had. A significant portion of this came from people who were not logged in as members. Instituting the "members only" policy for certain popular boards has cut down the amount of traffic which should in turn make it easier for the techies to stop all those annoying errors we've all been having.

Personally, if it makes the Boards work without me having double and triple and quadruple posts and time-outs and error messages and all that other junk... Well then I'm all for it :) .

Makes me wonder why people are reluctant to join- maybe they think there is a gimick or cost.

Nary a week goes by that we do not see a relatively new poster who has been a member for years. Heck I lurk on some of the other boards all the time, especially when they are going off the deep edge. I really do need a life.

I have not observed any improvement. In fact, I am loosing more posts to time outs than ever before. ( Just lost 3- Will they pop later? Who knows?)And as I have previously said, I am often on these boards during the wee hours, when most sane people are asleep.

Has anyone else noticed that it appears to automatically time you out when you haven't "done" anything for awhile?

Not lately. I've always had that problem when I've not changed screens for a while.

I was trying to catch up on one of Doug's "Live From" threads a long, long time ago (it was your Baltic cruise, Doug) and timed out. From then on I've made it a point to hit "refresh" every once in a while when I stay on the same screen.

That seems to take care of it. At least it has! I hope that hasn't changed. :eek:

Makes me wonder why people are reluctant to join- maybe they think there is a gimick or cost.

DW and I lurked as non-members for a couple of years because we had only been on one cruise and felt we didn't have much to contribute. :)

I "cut & paste" all my posts. Or, at least, cut and save, until it comes up as posted. Then I don't have to remember all my brilliant remarks if the system crashes on me. I do the regular CTRL-C and if it crashes and burns, try again with just a CTRL-V to slap the comments down on the screen again.

Oh, sure, Ctrl A, Ctrl C has been standard operating procedure for a long time now. I can't remember the time it wasn't! :rolleyes:

That started with a different problem---can't even remember exactly what that was now. :o

I do see that the end of page not appearing problem is still with us, though, as I'm answering a reply that isn't even showing. :D

I am one of those "lukers" who enjoys reading the posts but I don't post..guess this was as exception.

I have only taken one HAL cruise so far, but I wouldn't have done that if I hadn't read all the posts that appear here.

This board is very informative and I hope that the "members only" will not keep others from enjoying their visit.

Nana

Archived