turned away at Grand Restaurant for attire

Tagoladad

Has anyone ever been told they could not eat in the main restaurant due to their attire. My BILs are bringing just a blazer for our 2/19/07 Century 5 night cruise (but no tie). We have been on several cruises (1 Disney, 2 RCCL and 1 NCL) and have never had a problem, but we've never sailed with Celebrity before and wanted to know if they are strict about this policy

I have not but have seen it happen. Problem is that they seem to have a very uneven enforcement of the policy. You may be denied entry into the restaurant and even other venues such as the theater since the dress code if for evening and not just dinner. If you choose to take the chance, that is of course your choice but it could happen.

I haven't, but I've seen it happen.

Celebrity is one of the more formal lines.

If not refused entry, will likely receive looks in the restaurant and throughout the ship.

The big question is why does he feel he has the right to disregard the dress code. Why does he feel he can damage the atmosphere X is trying to create. It is inconsiderate to the other guests not to abide by the dress code.

If he doesn't want to dress he's more than welcome to try the Alternative Dining in the buffet area. It's still a sit down dinner, not buffet, but the dress code there is casual each night.

Just want to say that my BILs are older men, that are definitely not interested in thumbing their noses at the rules (or the other passengers). They just don't want to get "dressed up" on vacation. The reason that I posted, was to find out if other passengers had this issue. If I let my BILs know that there may be an issue, then perhaps they will change their minds and bring a suit so they can enjoy the food in the Grand restaurant.

As Sgt. Hulka once said..."Lighten up, Francis"

Tagoladad,

Has anyone ever been told they could not eat in the main restaurant due to their attire. My BILs are bringing just a blazer for our 2/19/07 Century 5 night cruise (but no tie). We have been on several cruises (1 Disney, 2 RCCL and 1 NCL) and have never had a problem, but we've never sailed with Celebrity before and wanted to know if they are strict about this policy

I have seen people turned away from both the main dining room and the show (in the Celebrity Theater) because they did not conform to the dress code. I have also been on several Celebrity cruises on which enforcement of the dress code was lacking and passengers who did not conform got the "cold shoulder" from many of those who did. Quite simply, Celebrity is not exactly the line that I would recommend to folks who don't want to dress properly for the "formal" and "informal" evenings.

For the record, the prescribed dress code for gentlemen on "formal" evenings is either "black tie" (that is, a tuxedo or dinner jacket outfit) or a dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business suit. You probably would "get away with" wearing a "blazer" and a necktie on the formal evening, especially if you wear it with a pair of slacks that are the same shade, but it really is not proper.

Norm.

I agree with Norm just dress nice and you will be fine .

I wear a suit and tie on formal nights and usually keep it on for the rest of the night. On informal I go the sports coat route with out a tie and have never had a problem also usually put the coat back in the cabin before the show no problems at all . And Casual just polo and slacks is fine.

As long as you are close to the dress code you will be fine remember they never want to turn anyone away because they know if they do you will take it personally and you most likely will opt out of tipping your dinning room servers.

So just try to follow the code and you will be fine and remember you are their to have a great time.

I don't doubt that it happens occasionally that people get turned away, but I'm guessing that this is MUCH more likely to happen to the egregious offenders (those in shorts and tank tops or sweatsuits) rather than those who are dressed sharply but not according to the official code. I would be willing to bet that somebody with a tie and jacket would NOT be turned away on formal night even if they are not wearing a dark suit or tux.

Please note that I am not condoning violations -- my feeling is that we should all follow the code simply because it is the code -- however, I don't think somebody dressed decently but inappropriately would be turned away.

First Celebrity cruise was on the Zenith in 2001. DH and I went to High tea. I was wearing a sundress, he a pair of dockers and a sports coat. He was refused entrance because he was not wearing a tie. Lesson learned.

NO SYMPATHY HERE!

On our Nov/Dec TA on the Millie, I saw a family (mom, dad & little boy) turned away in the dining room on a formal/informal night (I don't remember if it was a formal night or just sport coat). The gentleman was wearing a guayabara shirt, not a tie or coat. The reason I remember is that it was the first time I'd ever seen the dress code enforced on any ship. My first reaction was a smile that they were finally enforcing the dress code. But as we proceeded further into the room, I noticed several men also without coat or tie. That made me feel bad for the people who were turned away and were embarrassed. The dress code wasn't enforced uniformly, obviously.

A guayabera is a hemmed, buttoned and collared shirt that is popular in lots of Latin and South American countries, as well as here in Florida (hot climates). Also sometimes called a Mexican wedding shirt. It, and similar shirts, like the barong tagalog from the Philippines, are often worn for formal occasions, especially weddings. I think aloha shirts are worn the same way in Hawaii quite a bit.

I just now realized that the man that was turned away in the dining room may have been wearing something he considered formal or dressy. I never thought of that. I hope not.

There is something to be said about what ruthandmike pointed out about some people are not sure what formal is. We sat next to the nicest familiy from Puerto Rico on the Infinity and they were not dressed properly and everyone was looking at them and they were so embarrassed. They were asking us what formal and informal was. We felt that it was a cultural and language problem. I have never seen X turned anyone away but I would not take the chance. I would find it to be rather embarrassing. Plus, I think that is one of the best things about being on the cruise. Seeing everyone dressed up and enjoying an elegant evening.

"There is something to be said about what ruthandmike pointed out about some people are not sure what formal is."

Its not a language or cultural thing, it simply ignorance or defiance.

The codes are not only spelled out in the literature and website, but they are written in your cruise documents.

They specifically point out what is appropriate. I know there is also an issue with the word "Informal" some like to say semi-formal....but that is also spelled out VERY clearly in the information. The only thing that some feel is up for interpretation is the 'tie'. X states jacket and tie, but when you read the dailies, it does not specify tie. I was brought up with the notion that a tie went with a jacket. and if you wore a jacket sans tie it was for a dressy casual...ie camel hair jacket with jeans and sportscoat, not Informal.

People these days are simply lazy.

I have never been denied entry into the diningroom nor the theatre, but I also have seen some that have. I have seen some dress code violaters in the diningroom.....I guess you can't babysit everyone, nor can you expect them to be intelligent enough to read or follow simple guidelines.

The other problem is families with children. The dress code applies to everyone, not just adults. And while a tuxedo or full length gown is not expected of toddlers, a party dress, and at least jacket and tie is expected. If not, choose casual dining. Kids are not supposed to be an excuse for ignoring rules. However on most X cruises the kids are dressed, and those who are not totally look out of place. As for infants, they don't belong on cruises in my opinion. Leave them at home or wait till they are old enough to enjoy it.

X is trying to set an ambience each evening, and expects its passengers to comply, or simply eat at an alternative venue that they provide. NO ONE is going to starve or go hungry. Its the passenger who has the option of dressing correctly, or not and they should proceed to the correct venue as to not ruinthe experience for those of us who do comply. If not they are simply rude and discourteous, and should have chosen a different vacation.

Dave:eek:

...for our 2/19/07 Century 5 night cruise (we've never sailed with Celebrity before and wanted to know if they are strict about this policy

We'll be on that cruise....

A nice place to sit at sailaway is the rear outside dining area known as the "Sunset Bar..

Right after the lifeboat drill you can wave goodbye to Miami and have a drink to celebrate the start of your cruise.

We just got off Century and a couple of 5 day cruises two weeks ago.

You won't be turned away at the dining room for lack of a tie but the formal night is a great opportunity to look your best for the people you love the most. Two weeks ago over 80% of males were in a dark suit or tux but the week before only half as many followed the suggested dress code. These shorter cruises have caused Celebrity to relax their former policy quite a bit.

I believe that some of the comments below are a bit harsh. I believe that there are cultural differences that would apply here.

I am not opposed to looking nice and dressing for dinner. It is also a nice time to have formal pictures made. I am opposed to having to stay formally dressed all evening and in the ShowRoom, afterall, the Show Room is dark and the attention should be on the show, not what the guests are wearing.

I am certainly opposed to sloppy dress at dinner, such as jeans, shorts, etc. on the cruises, but with the exception of the formal nights, I think cocktail dresses, coats and ties should not be the attire for all the other nights.

I go on cruises for fun, relaxation and meeting new people. I book a cruise to go where I want when I want to go, not necessarily on the cruiseline.

I guess I will find out about X, as I will be on the Dec 2007 Hawaii Cruise.

Friends who are very frequent Crystal cruisers swear by the guayabara shirts - they wear them virtually every night. We just got off a 15 day HAL cruise and the dress code was hazardlly enfoced - there was a large family seated near us that looked like they'd climbed out of the laundry hamper - two of the men wore hats every single night! A couple women who should have known better wore backless dresses with plunging necklines to the formal nights - luckily, we never had to sit across from them (talk about mutton dressed as lamb)! One night, my husband got sent back to the cabin to get his blazer because we thought the evening was meant to be casual but it was the really confusing informal. We prefer the Windstar ships because we know exactly what is appropriate - prosperous, clean and well-groomed appearances and attire, all day and evenings.

Archived