HELP! Questions with itinerary for Alaska

P.A.

For those of you who have cruised in Alaska, you can probably help me out here.

We have cruised 3 times, all to the Cabibbean. Next year, 2008, we will go to Alaska. It will be my husband and I and another couple (we are in our upper 40's and two of us will be celebrating our 50th b-day). We have cruised twice on Princess and they have cruised only on Royal Caribbean. We are not sure which line to take. Each cruiseline has a bit different itinerary so we are hoping to get some quesitons answered here.

Since this is our first time to Alaska I think we have all decided to do an inside passage. It will be so much cheaper for the airfare too and will be the most economical for the first time. Here are what my choices are:

Princess

1 Seattle, Washington 4:00 PM

2 At Sea

3 Juneau, Alaska 12:00 PM 10:00 PM

4 Skagway, Alaska 6:00 AM 8:15 PM

5 Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska (Scenic Cruising) 8:00 AM 1:00 PM

6 Ketchikan, Alaska 6:00 AM 12:30 PM

7 Victoria, British Columbia 7:00 PM 11:59 PM

8 Seattle, Washington

OR

Royal Caribbean

Seattle, Washington -- 4:00 pm

At Sea -- --

Juneau, Alaska 11:00 am 9:00 pm

Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 8:30 pm

Cruise Tracy Arm 7:00 am 12:00 pm

Prince Rupert, British Columbia 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Inside Passage, Alaska -- --

Seattle, Washington 6:00 am

So since we are torn between the two cruiselines, we thought we would go with the best itinerary. Question is....which is the best itinerary?? Can someone please comment on which port is a must to see or which itinerary you would choose and why? Our husbands do like to fish, and we were hoping to see some whales if that helps any, and we will go either the last week of May or frist week of June.

Please...any suggestions you have will be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

I would pick the Princess schedule only because it has Ketchikan, I really liked that stop. I would rather have that stop than Prince Rupert...JMHO.

Enjoy, you will have a great time no matter which one you choose. Is there a big cost difference between the two? That could be another deciding factor.

I'm adding another possible itinerary for Royal Caribbean:

Vancouver, British Columbia -- 5:00 pm

Inside Passage, Alaska -- --

Icy Strait Point, Alaska 10:00 am 6:00 pm

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 9:00 am 1:00 pm

Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 8:30 pm

Juneau, Alaska 7:00 am 3:00 pm

At Sea -- --

Vancouver, British Columbia 7:00 am

We would probably still fly into SEA and get transportation to Vancouver.

For us the cost would be cheaper on Princess because we are Princess members and they are not, on RC they are members and we are not, so it would work either way. As soon as the schedule comes out, I will see which price is the best. I'm thinking RC will be a bit more but not sure.

So Keitchecan has several thumbs up...that is good to know!

Keep the suggestions coming! :)

hello,

Having cruised to Alaska twice I recommend that you go on the Princess cruise. Princess visits Victoria BC, which is one of the nicest places you can imagine as a port of call.

While I am here...some suggestions. Rent a car when you visit Juneau and Skagway. By renting a car for four people you will save a lot of money compared to shore excursions. Driving in Alaska and Canada is very nice because there are excellent roads. When you visit the Mendenhall Glacier plan on hiking the East Loop Trail. At the end of this trail you will overlook the Mendenhall Glacier but the real treat are the views of the Alaska Wilderness from the top of the trail.

Also, rent a car in Skagway ad drive up into the Canadian Yukon. This is truly a spectacular drive. The highway is a treat to drive and the views are not only beautiful but very interesting as well.

Ketcikan is a town for walking as this is a little city...no need for a car or any tours. I would, however, rent a car in Victoria and DO NOT MISS the Butchart Gardens and Beacon Hill Park.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

My husband and I sailed to AK on Princess. Princess ALWAYS docks and you don't have to be tendered. They get first "dibs" on berths. Also, Princess is one of 2 cruise lines that are allowed to go into Glacier Bay and College Fjord. College Fjord was absolutely beautiful (the day we were there). The sky was this most amazing blue I had ever seen. The sun was out (sure it was kind of cool). Just beautiful!!!

Ketchikan - we did the horse drawn trolley tour. It was fun.

Juneau - whale watching & helicopter glacier tour. HIGHLY recommend doing a helicopter tour. It's amazing and breathless. We got to land ON a glacier and walk around.

Skagway - went to Auke Bay to kayak. Saw a black bear eating berries while kayaking. Went horseback riding afterward (different excursion).

We just fell in love with Alaska - so much we thought about moving there one day. But then we started thinking real long & hard about their winters and changed our minds.

We also did a 4 day land tour afterwards. Went from Seward to Fairbanks. Very beautiful. Stayed at lodges in Mt. McKinley, Denali and Fairbanks. If you go to Denali - you must take the all day bus tour into the park. We saw Dall's Sheep, grizzly bears, caribou, bald eagles, and moose.

Ok, that's my 20 cents worth ;o)

I would choose the Princess Itn. if you are basing your cruise on ports.

As someone said, they loved Ketchikan, so did I. I felt it had the best shopping, and the nicest people...most are locals and not flown in for the cruise season as they are in Juneau, and Skagway.

One thing I collect for souvenirs are hand painted glass Christmas ornaments. In both Juneau and Skagway they have christmas shops...the stuff is made in Korea, Japan, etc...nothing from Alaska. I actually had a sales girl show me an ornament from Germany and offered to write ALASKA on it in magic marker....???????

Ketchikan has galleries of local artists, certified by the state of Alaska. My favorite was Chandlers where at least three local artists displayed hand painted original ornaments, and BTW they were less expensive than the imported ones at the other ports.

Victoria is an other favorite. I could spend a weekend there. Beautiful, great restaurants, great shopping, wonderful artists, the best whale watching.

Go for Princess!

Dave:eek:

My review :http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=21540

You definetly want the one with Ketchikan and Victoria. I have been twice to Alaska. It is such an amazing place. In Juneau go to the flower garden

I cannot remember the name but it has upside trees with the roots of the tree on top with all these hanging flowers out it. My husband was so amazed by the real wilderness untouched. We went on Celebrity in July weather was perfect and no rain entire trip which very un-usual. You will have a great time.

Hello (again),

As you will get many suggestions on excursions, please keep in mind that you do not have spend lots of money on excursions in order to enjoy the many activities and sights that Alaska has to offer.

I am pleased that there are folks out there who have the resources and want to spend lots of money in Alaska. However, you do not need lots of money to visit this wonderful place.

This is a very important point because those thinking about a cruise to Alaska should not get the idea that Alaska is unreasonably expensive. And conclude that an Alaskan cruise is not possible financially.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

I'd be hesitant to do either because they don't go to Glacier Bay. The Norwegian Pearl is the only 2008 Seattle round-trip to include Glacier Bay and Victoria.

I took a look at the Norwegian Pearl and Norwegian Stars itinerary and neither one go to Glacier Bay. Now that was for May & June of 2007 as they don't have a schedule yet for May or June of 2008. We will go either the last week of May or first week in June 2008.

Thanks! :)

For your first trip, I'd vote for the Princess itinerary because it has one more port - since you didn't say which ships are sailing (or I didn't see it), I'm guessing that the time spent onboard isn't as important to you. I remember that there was a fishing trip in Ketchikan that some fellow CCers went on and loved, so your DH would be happy with that.

I'd do the Vancouver trip if it were on a Radiance class ship because I love that class of ship. Lots of glass for viewing the scenery from inside (for a change of pace), fabulous crews. Just a personal preference.

BTW, Princess doesn't always get to dock - we had to tender into Ketchikan last year on the Island Princess - I think it's first come first served and we were the fourth of four ships to get there.

I took a look at the Norwegian Pearl and Norwegian Stars itinerary and neither one go to Glacier Bay. Now that was for May & June of 2007 as they don't have a schedule yet for May or June of 2008. We will go either the last week of May or first week in June 2008.

Thanks! :)

The Pearl goes to Glacier Bay. Sails there on Thursdays. I'm on the ship in May.

I'd be hesitant to do either because they don't go to Glacier Bay. The Norwegian Pearl is the only 2008 Seattle round-trip to include Glacier Bay and Victoria.

Holland America's Noordam also goes to Glacier Bay out of Seattle:

Seattle depart 4:00 p.m.

At Sea

Glacier Bay 10:00-7:00

Juneau 7:00-8:00

Sitka 8:00-5:00

Ketchikan 7:00-1:00

Victoria 6:00-midnight

Seattle arrive 7:00 a.m.

HAL's Amsterdam has the same itinerary, going to Glacier Bay some weeks and to Tracy Arm other weeks. Keep in mind that itineraries and ships may very well change for 2008.

I'm on the HAL Oosterdam on thier May 26th cruise r/t Seattle.

They also do Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau, and Victoria.

Looking forward to it, and though that first day is "outside" passage, it is so much more convenient to do the r/t Seattle.

Happy cruising!

Cheers! :)

last year we did glacier bay on the NCL star, this year the NCL pearl will do that same route. the star is doing tracy arms, since that has been discussed so many times (on these boards) as being chancey for the ship to get up to the glacier. glacier bay, on the other hand, is great..especially for beginners. less hassles...

one time when i have the time and extra money, i will see cruise tracy arms, but on a much smaller ship that has a better chance of getting up to the glacier.

i just notice that the 1st princess route the OP has listed (except for not doing glacier bay) is the same we did on the NCL star. the princess is in juneau 2hrs longer. it's a good route, the towns are easy to visit, exursions are plentiful. it was dark when we were in victoria (late sept), i would love to see the gardens..i have missed them twice now.

i just notice that the 1st princess route the OP has listed (except for not doing glacier bay) is the same we did on the NCL star. the princess is in juneau 2hrs longer. it's a good route, the towns are easy to visit, exursions are plentiful. it was dark when we were in victoria (late sept), i would love to see the gardens..i have missed them twice now.

If you really want to see Victoria and the Gardens, look into a pre or post crusie - cruise on the Victoria Clipper. Similar cost to the excursions in Alaska for an overnight trip.

last year we did glacier bay on the NCL star, this year the NCL pearl will do that same route. the star is doing tracy arms, since that has been discussed so many times (on these boards) as being chancey for the ship to get up to the glacier. glacier bay, on the other hand, is great..especially for beginners. less hassles...

one time when i have the time and extra money, i will see cruise tracy arms, but on a much smaller ship that has a better chance of getting up to the glacier.

We enjoyed the Star just before she left the Hawaiian route for the Northwest passages.

What a beautiful lady! Miss her still.

Definitely consider HAL if you want Victoria and Ketchikan (and you DO!), I rate them higher than Princess and Celebrity. Glacier Bay is WAY better than Hubbard Glacier, there is really no comparison.

Definitely consider HAL if you want Victoria and Ketchikan (and you DO!), I rate them higher than Princess and Celebrity. Glacier Bay is WAY better than Hubbard Glacier, there is really no comparison.

Nice to hear that!! I was in confusion about which one myself, and picked HAL for the first time.

First time to Alaska, and first time on HAL.

Looking forward to both experiences! :)

Cheers!:)

We enjoyed the Star just before she left the Hawaiian route for the Northwest passages.

What a beautiful lady! Miss her still.

islandlady~I have to ask...is Norweigan Pearl and old ship? After looking at the pictures of the cabins on their website, it looks really outdated! I don't know if I could stand that color scheme for 7 days. And I was looking at the mini suite.

Also, I noticed that you were on the Freedom of the Seas in Feb, how was it? My friends are getting ready to go for spring break.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Archived