strange charges.... has this every happened to any of you?

hello all!

i was going over my credit card bill the other day and realized there was a $36.95 charge from rccl from a few days before we sailed. I just called and the woman i spoke to said that they would've never charge anything on my card without telling me and that the charge is for prepaid gratuities. she said that it was the travel agent i need to call and talk to or dispute the charge iwth my credit card company. my travel agent never had my credit card number and for all he knew i dind't have a card bc everything was done thru my bf's card. my card was added to my account a few days before the cruise when i filled out the set sail pass. (graduities were charged to my bf's card in feb). anyone ever have this happen before to them?

also, does anyone know who to write a letter of complaint to about the overall cruise?

thanks in advanced :)

That is strange! What amount was your BF charged for the tips? $36.95 is very low for a pp gratuity charge. Perhaps he was charged for his tips and then you were charged for your portion on your card.

BTW - I read your other thread about your cruise, and I wanted to know if you ended up having to drive all the way back home, or could you fly?

That is strange! What amount was your BF charged for the tips? $36.95 is very low for a pp gratuity charge. Perhaps he was charged for his tips and then you were charged for your portion on your card.

BTW - I read your other thread about your cruise, and I wanted to know if you ended up having to drive all the way back home, or could you fly?

we actually ended up driving from Miami to NY just north of the city... i'm actually about to post my review of the cruise... :)

and we figured out what the charges were... they were listed under the wrong category when they should've been listed under gifts and gear. Rccl called my travel agent and together they figured it out...

if you're interested, look for my reivew :)

I had a charge of $3.51 or some such when I was on the CB. Went to the purser's desk and the charge slip someone had signed my name (miss-spelled my last name and no middle initial) and charged one large bottle of water plus 15% tip. The only thing I could think of was when we arrived there was no bottle of water in our cabin, so the cabin steward instead of realized she never put it in our cabin, thought we drank it and forged my signature.

Ill pay for booze but not water on a cruise so I knew it was not my charge for that small amount. It kinda grips me that they charge you a tip amount on water bottles.

I cant imagine anyone doing it out of whatever, if you are going to forge someone's name, do it for a bigger amount? They did take it off.

Im sure others have had wierd charge amounts. When I came home from the cruise I had another small amount on my debit card account, they said they were just running thru to make sure the account was good.

Now I'm nervous:confused: Last month I called Gifts and Gear and ordered a bottle of champagne and $100.00 onboard credit for my nieces cruise last week.

I also put $500.00 down on my onboard account for our upcoming cruise in a few weeks. They charged my debit card right away. However, They then charged my card again! for the same bottle of champagne while my niece was on-board! I called RCI and they said they would look into it.

Two days later and the amount was already credited back to my account.

Good customer service there, but I hope I don't have problems again on my upcoming cruise. A $35.00 mistake is one thing, but a $500.00 mistake would be another!

How do you put money down on your OBC credit for a future cruise. :confused: Can you do it on the RCI site. I wanted to do it but couldn't find out where. I am booked with a TA does that make a difference. Thank you
I am not clear on what you are asking, Delores. Can you re-state your question?

If you are asking about getting the OBC for booking a future cruise, you only get this when you book while onboard ONE cruise for ANOTHER cruise in the future.

I am sorry I didn't make myself clear. I was just wondering if there is a way you can apply money to your account before your cruise. Then it is there when you do cruise like ordering a gift. Such as webecruizin2 did for her niece.

Since you booked your cruise with a travel agent, EVERYTHING that you do must be done through him or her.

I had 3 small charges on my credit card from RCCL a couple days after I had disembarked. I had checked my Seapass the morning we left and it was fine. That amount appeared on my credit card and than 3 small charges, like 3.00, 6.00. and 7.00. I called RCCL and asked what they were for but they said they didn't know and that all they put thru was the amount on the Seapass. The extra 3 small charges were clearly put there by RCCL but they insisted they were not there. I called BOA, turns out they were duplicates of charges put in Seapass total and they credited my card. I will now always check the credit card statement in the future. :)

Here's a strange one...

I have the RCCL Visa. I've got a couple of upcoming cruises (but none very recently). I've put down deposits, added shore excursions, etc., so there are a number of RCCL transactions showing on the card. When I look at my MBNA statement online, there is a $1.00 "pending authorization" from Royal Caribbean that's been sitting there for a week. What in the heck could that be? maybe they are planning on giving me a free cruise for $1.00? :D

Here's a strange one...

I have the RCCL Visa. I've got a couple of upcoming cruises (but none very recently). I've put down deposits, added shore excursions, etc., so there are a number of RCCL transactions showing on the card. When I look at my MBNA statement online, there is a $1.00 "pending authorization" from Royal Caribbean that's been sitting there for a week. What in the heck could that be? maybe they are planning on giving me a free cruise for $1.00? :D

Those $1 charges are what is known as a temporary authorization. When you make a purchase, the merchant "pings" your card to make sure it will accept charges. The correct amount usually shows up in a day or two, OR if you did not complete the transaction, the $1 temp auth will disappear.

LL

Since you booked your cruise with a travel agent, EVERYTHING that you do must be done through him or her.

Sorry, not true. I booked through my regular travel agent. I simply called Gifts and Gear and had the money posted to my on-board account as if it was a gift from myself :) . It's just a way to sock away some spending money for future cruises. This way our final bill is not so scary, we do like our martinis, ya know :p

Sorry, not true. I booked through my regular travel agent. I simply called Gifts and Gear and had the money posted to my on-board account as if it was a gift from myself :) . It's just a way to sock away some spending money for future cruises. This way our final bill is not so scary, we do like our martinis, ya know :p

Sorry, I didn't realize that you could order OBCs through Gifts 'n' Gear. :)

We do that a lot (ordering OBC hrough Gifts and Gear) either for ourselves or as birthday giffts for friends who are cruising. It's the only way we can since I don't think Canadians can buy RCL gift certificates (I'm not sure why).

We do that a lot (ordering OBC hrough Gifts and Gear) either for ourselves or as birthday giffts for friends who are cruising. It's the only way we can since I don't think Canadians can buy RCL gift certificates (I'm not sure why).

Hey, Schplinky, you want to send me some for May 7? I'll reciprocate for May 14. ;)

Hey, Schplinky, you want to send me some for May 7? I'll reciprocate for May 14. ;)

Sure! I'll send you free drinks for the whole cruise. no need to cash any pesky vouchers. Just tell the bartender I told you so...

Archived