All Things Mariner Of The Seas

Quick question - what pier does Mariner dock at in Cozumel?

We were on the Mariner last Friday and we docked at the International Pier next to Allure and by a Carnival ship. We weren't downtown, but there were plenty of shops and Senor Frogs within walking distance of the pier. There are also car rental places and plenty of taxis to go wherever you want.

Beth

curlymason- International Pier, 3 miles from downtown. Easy $7 cab ride for up to four people.

Just got off Mariner on Feb 5th. Full review will be along fairly soon I hope, but I have to do a PC rebuild first.

Got some good news regarding boarding and leaving. While dull and highly boring (not to mention causing PCD when leaving), both went very well and there were no major issues to take note of.

It has been said that getting a porter was the way to go in Galveston, but it seemed to me that both lines were moving decently so use your own judgement. We bailed off just after 10am.

Mariner looks good, but she is definitely due a refresh. Saw several places where her age was showing a bit. That did not detract from our week aboard!

bmcarthy- POKE!! :D

Hi,

We are traveling with the kids (6,7,9,12,and 14) for the first time on RCI. Does anyone have or know where to find a copy of the activities for them? I found them once and am regretting not bookmarking it.

Thanks!

Tina

Tina,

I have all the kids compasses from the Mariner from last week. Our daughter was in the Aquanauts. The older kids activities were on the back. I don't have a scanner, but I would be happy to email you the information. If you are interested, send me an email.

Beth

bethmccarthy79@yahoo.com

My response went poooof. Why am I not surprised? Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I don't know what you mean about getting to the cabin w/o walking down the hall? It's the first cabin. What I'm concerned about is that 6435 is wedged in all by itself. Just curious what's on either side.

6435 is what I call an "inside inside". (I'm probably the only one to call it that.) Look at the deck plan. The main halls go between cabins 6337-6336 (starboard side) and 6636-6637 (port side). Your cabin is even more inside than 6337 or 6637. There is yet another hall between cabins 6437 and 6637. I think to get to your cabin and this other hall, you go to the starboard side just before cabin 6320 and turn right down the main hall, then turn right just before 6637. On deck 8 you have to walk further before you turn left and go between cabins 8343 and 8347 -- didn't matter to me since we had cabin 8465 and had to walk down the hall anyway. The deck plan makes it look like there is a big open area outside your cabin, but it is not -- it is a hallway.

Mariner Drydock, whats she having done?

from

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1562568

Thanks, Derf. Why am I not surprised you came thru with a link? I do hope they add the Park Cafe to the Mariner. Another free food option. :D I don't see it happening but I hope I'm wrong.

6435 is what I call an "inside inside". (I'm probably the only one to call it that.) Look at the deck plan. The main halls go between cabins 6337-6336 (starboard side) and 6636-6637 (port side). Your cabin is even more inside than 6337 or 6637. There is yet another hall between cabins 6437 and 6637. I think to get to your cabin and this other hall, you go to the starboard side just before cabin 6320 and turn right down the main hall, then turn right just before 6637. On deck 8 you have to walk further before you turn left and go between cabins 8343 and 8347 -- didn't matter to me since we had cabin 8465 and had to walk down the hall anyway. The deck plan makes it look like there is a big open area outside your cabin, but it is not -- it is a hallway.

Jimnbigd I'm not concerned with how to access cabin 6435 but I do wonder what's on either side that shows blank. If it's just a hallway then it's ok. On Voyager class dot com it shows the area to the right of the cabin boxed in like a service room. I DON'T want to be near an ice machine :eek:

Thanks, Derf. Why am I not surprised you came thru with a link? I do hope they add the Park Cafe to the Mariner. Another free food option. :D I don't see it happening but I hope I'm wrong.

Jimnbigd I'm not concerned with how to access cabin 6435 but I do wonder what's on either side that shows blank. If it's just a hallway then it's ok. On Voyager class dot com it shows the area to the right of the cabin boxed in like a service room. I DON'T want to be near an ice machine :eek:

Bonnie, we will be on deck 6 Mar 4th, I have made a note to find out what is next to cabin 6435.

Bonnie, we will be on deck 6 Mar 4th, I have made a note to find out what is next to cabin 6435.

Thanks, I would appreciate it! I'm hoping for a price drop so that we can upgrade to a balcony cabin. Truthfully, I don't advertise this much but I took a nasty fall on the Voyager in Jan. 2011 and was generously compensated. I didn't fall this past cruise so inside cabin it is. ;)

Cindy, in answer to your question about GS 1268; we were in that suite in December on MOS. Had some noise during the day with carts rolling over the floors. Nothing at night, but some chair dragging around 5 AM 2-3 mornings. Will be there again in 2 weeks. However, I have changed my future GS's on Voyager class ships to further forward and not under the Solarium. We were in GS 1274 on MOS three years ago and had no noise at all...and that is under the pool deck where you would expect lots of chair dragging. Go figure!

Dec 9, 2012 will be my 1st cruise w/ RC & my husband's 1st cruise ever. I have a couple of questions, that i'm sure you the experts can help me with.

Is it warm enough in December, on the boat and on the islands (Jamaica, Cayman & Cozumel) to swim and lay out?

Whats the advantages to the different dinner seating arrangement- why should i choose a set time over My Time Dining?

Is there an active Royal Caribbean or Mariner of the Seas Facebook page.. there was a really great one for a Mexican Resort that I stayed at & it was full of great info.. just wondering if there's something like that for RC also?

What is dry docking and when will Mariner be doing that?

And i love to hear any other advise/suggestions, you would give to a first timer. Thanks guys!

Dec 9, 2012 will be my 1st cruise w/ RC & my husband's 1st cruise ever. I have a couple of questions, that i'm sure you the experts can help me with.

Is it warm enough in December, on the boat and on the islands (Jamaica, Cayman & Cozumel) to swim and lay out?

Whats the advantages to the different dinner seating arrangement- why should i choose a set time over My Time Dining?

Is there an active Royal Caribbean or Mariner of the Seas Facebook page.. there was a really great one for a Mexican Resort that I stayed at & it was full of great info.. just wondering if there's something like that for RC also?

What is dry docking and when will Mariner be doing that?

And i love to hear any other advise/suggestions, you would give to a first timer. Thanks guys!

Weather: No comment from me. Never been in Dec. I would imagine that if its nice enough in Ca. or Fl, then it should be nice in those ports.

Dining: MTD appears to be flexible in that you can pick whatever time time you want each day. In reality, if you are interested in seeing the entertainment, the ship schedules show times around the fixed main and late seatings (two shows per event, one for each seating). If you choose MTD, now you need to plan around those show times.

If you choose a set time, consider what your interests are and if you are doing shore excurions. Early seating is typically between 5:30 to 6:00. That may be too early for some, especially if you enjoy the port or lounging on deck or watching sailaway. Others may feel that late dining (between 8:00 to 8:30) is too late.

There is a Facebook page for RCL, but it tends to be business oriented. Not specific to a ship unless there is a "BIG" announcement about redeployment or major enhancements. You stand a much better chance of getting info by following these boards and signing up for your Roll Call. Suggest using the subscribe function and tag Mariner specific threads so you can keep up to date with new posts.

Dry docking is a term used for when they literally take the ship out of the water to perform maintenance actions. That could be anything from routine bottom cleaning to major interior overhauls. The Mariner is scheduled for a dry dock at the end of April '12. There has been much speculation on these boards as to what will be performed. Guess we'll all have to wait a couple more months to find out.

Good luck and happy sailing.

Have no fear about December sailings. Weather is wonderful, far better than in the summer. Less humid, less opressive heat. Rates are also lower and less kids except for xmas week. :D

I agree with what lgonquin stated about dining and dry dock.

Welcome to RCI. You're gonna love it!

Will be going on my first cruise on Mariner in November. Looks like I may be sharing my cabin with a friend to cut down on price. I have problems with insomnia sometimes though and was wondering if there are public areas that are open 24 hours so I wouldn't be disturbing her if I am up at night. Specifically interested in the gym, library, a pool, someplace to grab a snack, and the internet lounge. Thanks in advance for your input!

The gym (fitness center) is not open all night - 6 AM to 10 PM are its hours. The library is open 24 hours a day, but as Tucker in Texas said, the selection is lousy, so definitely bring your own stuff to read. My Cruise Compass (from the January 8 sailing) says "selected swimming pools and hot tubs, Deck 11" ARE open 24 hours, as is the internet lounge, Mariner Dunes Golf on Deck 13, and shuffleboard on Deck 4. Cafe Promenade on Deck 5 is open 24 hours.

The gym (fitness center) is not open all night - 6 AM to 10 PM are its hours. The library is open 24 hours a day, but as Tucker in Texas said, the selection is lousy, so definitely bring your own stuff to read. My Cruise Compass (from the January 8 sailing) says "selected swimming pools and hot tubs, Deck 11" ARE open 24 hours, as is the internet lounge, Mariner Dunes Golf on Deck 13, and shuffleboard on Deck 4. Cafe Promenade on Deck 5 is open 24 hours.

Thanks! I was hoping the gym would have overnight hours, but I imagine it's a liability thing. Looks like I will have plenty of other options though. Thanks again for the follow-up!

Hi

Any chance you might have a copy or recall some menu items in the MDR?

Thanks

Refer to the attached link. Its a pretty good/detailed review of a recent January sailing. Its written day-by-day with each dinner menu listed for that evening, so you'll have to scan through it. Makes for a good read with pictures.

Enjoy.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1566271

LOWcountrygal:thanks for the links for the pics.... if anyone else has pics of the mariner, pls share!!! ;)

I am sailing the mariner in july for my 40th birthday and my sons birthday too!! also my hubby and i are celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary... Sooooo excited!!

This is our 3rd cruise, our first was on Explorer (LOVED IT) and our second was on Disney Magic.... but its back to RCCL for me!!!

Let's keep this thread going ! !

We also love Mariner ... in fact, we love all RCI ships! Because of the ports that RCI is offering out of Galveston over the Christmas holiday and because we're taking our grandchildren, we're also looking at Disney and Princess in addition to the Mariner. The Disney prices are staggering. We much prefer the ports on the Disney itinerary. That aside, is Disney really that much better?

Refer to the attached link. Its a pretty good/detailed review of a recent January sailing. Its written day-by-day with each dinner menu listed for that evening, so you'll have to scan through it. Makes for a good read with pictures.

Enjoy.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1566271

Thanks..that was very helpful. Wish I knew if they offered your basic meals with dinner as well...my husband dislikes all the fancy dishes. Does anyone know?

Archived