All Things Mariner Of The Seas

Found on Youtube

First time this was done on the Mariner of the Seas with the new Activities Manager Steve. Sail date 02/05/12 to 02/12/12. Guests performed the dance before the Quest game show. What a great time for all of us who participated. Steve & Favio did a great job with the guests.

from

Thanks..that was very helpful. Wish I knew if they offered your basic meals with dinner as well...my husband dislikes all the fancy dishes. Does anyone know?

My husband is a meat 'n taters eater and he does just fine. The first time we cruised Celebrity (1998) when the menus were more uptown and varied, he said it was a little too frou frou for him. However, now that the lines are dumbing down the menus, he is a happy camper.

Sometimes he will ask for a baked potato as a side if he doesn't like the sides that are coming with the meal. He asks for a wedge of lettuce with ranch dressing if he wants a salad.

Tucker in Texas

Found on Youtube

First time this was done on the Mariner of the Seas with the new Activities Manager Steve. Sail date 02/05/12 to 02/12/12. Guests performed the dance before the Quest game show. What a great time for all of us who participated. Steve & Favio did a great job with the guests.

from

Wow, that looks like so much fun! Thank you for posting the video. You should put the video as a post so everyone can see it.

Wish I knew if they offered your basic meals with dinner as well...my husband dislikes all the fancy dishes. Does anyone know?

My wife is the same way. She tried the NY strip (even after I warned her), and it was like shoe leather. She said that she will just eat at the windjammer next time, as the selection is more to her liking.

My wife is diabetic. Soft drinks sweetened with Splenda (Diet Coke with Splenda) don't spike her blood sugar like other "diet" soft drinks. We know the rules. And we're not the types that have to get away with something. But it would be nice if she could continue to enjoy her soft drinks while we cruise. What are our chances of carrying on a 12 pack next Sunday?

My wife is diabetic. Soft drinks sweetened with Splenda (Diet Coke with Splenda) don't spike her blood sugar like other "diet" soft drinks. We know the rules. And we're not the types that have to get away with something. But it would be nice if she could continue to enjoy her soft drinks while we cruise. What are our chances of carrying on a 12 pack next Sunday?

Haven't sailed yet, but from what I've read, chances are better when you bring something that's not available onboard. I would think it would be even better if you had a letter from your doctor stating she was diabetic.

What are our chances of carrying on a 12 pack next Sunday?

Best chance would be cans, not plastic bottles, and in sealed 12-pack box. Bottles can be "enhanced" and resealed and opened 12-pack could be hiding beer cans.

I have same problem where aspartame causes insulin release that causes blood sugar crash with jitters & headache - not to mention hunger. Splenda (sucralose) does not do this to me and the yellow packets are readily available onboard.

Thanks..that was very helpful. Wish I knew if they offered your basic meals with dinner as well...my husband dislikes all the fancy dishes. Does anyone know?

A few years ago we sailed to Alaska with my kids and my son and daughter were young and picky (NOT interested in roast lamb shank) and the waiter offered them pizza or chicken strips and fries (clearly not on at our first night at dinner in the MDR dinner menu) and they were thrilled! My son was addicted to their cheese pizza's and he had two of the 10" personal sized pizzas the waiter brought him every night. My son didn't even have to order, the waiter just winked and asked if he wanted his "usual". They are SO accomodating, I can't imagine your husband being denied any reasonable request.

Ask your waiter for the Kid's Menu and look it over. Burgers, pizza, mac/cheese, spaghetti, chicken fingers, chicken soup, vegetables, etc.

I noticed that this past Christmas, the menu did not have "alternate" choices of steak, baked potato, etc. We ordered from the main menu each night so maybe I just missed it as that's always been an option in the past.

Ask your waiter for the Kid's Menu and look it over. Burgers, pizza, mac/cheese, spaghetti, chicken fingers, chicken soup, vegetables, etc.

I noticed that this past Christmas, the menu did not have "alternate" choices of steak, baked potato, etc. We ordered from the main menu each night so maybe I just missed it as that's always been an option in the past.

Thanks that is so very helpful!!! My husband was quite happy to hear that option :D

Best chance would be cans, not plastic bottles, and in sealed 12-pack box. Bottles can be "enhanced" and resealed and opened 12-pack could be hiding beer cans.

I have same problem where aspartame causes insulin release that causes blood sugar crash with jitters & headache - not to mention hunger. Splenda (sucralose) does not do this to me and the yellow packets are readily available onboard.

Folks need to be made aware that there is no difference between the blue, pink and yellow packets on board. Same ingredient, I THINK nutrasweet. Folks assume the blue is Equal, the pink sweet and low and the yellow splenda on board. Not so. This is why I love cc. I get the best advice on here :)

We were just on the Mariner and the "yellow packets" were NutraSweet "branded", but they were not aspertame. They were sucralose (Splenda). I cannot stand the taste of Equal or Sweet N Low, and neither can my husband, so we would have definitely known the difference. All three packets say NutraSweet because the company that packages them is the same.

The packets are all Nutrasweet "brand" but the ingredients (according to the fine print on them) are different and the Yellow was definitely Sucralose when I checked on last cruise. Nutrasweet (the company) has been licensed by Tate & Lyle Plc to make Sucralose since about 2005. Unfortunately NutraSweet is also the name of Nutrasweet company's main product so all the packets say Nutrasweet in the big print making them look like they are the same thing but they are not.

Link to example

Another "tell" for what's in the packets is no warning about phenylalanine on the yellow ones. The manufacturer would be begging big trouble putting anything with phenylalanine in a packet that someone with PKU would reach for out of habit. The FDA would be all over that as a dangerous deception.

We were just on the Mariner and the "yellow packets" were NutraSweet "branded", but they were not aspertame. They were sucralose (Splenda). I cannot stand the taste of Equal or Sweet N Low, and neither can my husband, so we would have definitely known the difference. All three packets say NutraSweet because the company that packages them is the same.

The packets are all Nutrasweet "brand" but the ingredients (according to the fine print on them) are different and the Yellow was definitely Sucralose when I checked on last cruise. Nutrasweet (the company) has been licensed by Tate & Lyle Plc to make Sucralose since about 2005. Unfortunately NutraSweet is also the name of Nutrasweet company's main product so all the packets say Nutrasweet in the big print making them look like they are the same thing but they are not.

Link to example

Another "tell" for what's in the packets is no warning about phenylalanine on the yellow ones. The manufacturer would be begging big trouble putting anything with phenylalanine in a packet that someone with PKU would reach for out of habit. The FDA would be all over that as a dangerous deception.

I stand corrected!! Thank you. Like I said. I LOVE the advice I get on cruise critic. Well, almost always. The info I read about a year ago was wrong. :eek:

My husband and I are in our early 30s and enjoy the night life. We are not going with a group or anything, so we are hoping to meet some people our own age to enjoy it with. Do you think there will be plenty of people our age on an early December Mariner of the Seas cruise to meet or would a different time of year be better for us?

Just back this morning and we are also in our 30's. There is plenty to do for people of any age group. There is so much to do, especially at night. You'll have a ball no matter what time of year you go!

We rebooked for next year's March 3 departure!

Also was told by the CD that Mariner is getting the large screen at the pool and a baby nursery at the dry dock in April, but he said that was all he was "authorized" to comment on! Can't wait to see all they do to her!!

Just back this morning and we are also in our 30's. There is plenty to do for people of any age group. There is so much to do, especially at night. You'll have a ball no matter what time of year you go!

Also was told by the CD that Mariner is getting the large screen at the pool and a baby nursery at the dry dock in April, but he said that was all he was "authorized" to comment on! Can't wait to see all they do to her!!

Sounds like like you had a blast! Do you happen to have a current menu you could post? Also were any of your ports cancelled? I am woried about rain when we head out next weekend.

We're long-time Galveston cruisers, partial to Royal Caribbean, and were thrilled to hear that a "new and improved" Mariner will be here when we sail on December 2nd. However, we may well have second thoughts as the date approaches. Here's why:

We drink a bit, but don't smoke (my wife has a serious allergic reaction). Our little hideway on Voyager was the Pig & Whistle Pub ... perfect, since it's a non-smoking venue, and we could enjoy the antics of Derek Lewis and his Adult Day Care at Night. We had assumed that with Mariner now in Galveston, he'd be aboard, since he lives in San Antonio ... but noooooooo!! It turns out the the Wig & Gavel (P&W's counterpart) has a "dedicated smoking section" (as if the stuff will stop at the imaginary barrier). I can't understand the difference in regulations on virtually identical ships, and apparently neither can anyone at Royal Caribbean ... no reason for it; just company policy.

Derek remains on Voyager out of New Orleans (we were aboard last month for his wedding) since he can no longer tolerate second-hand smoke after over 20 years of performing in "intimate" venues. After the ship leaves NOLA for Europe, the South Pacific and Australia, he wants to return to Galveston following his Alaska gig on Rhapsody, and many of us wish that he would ... he's a one-of-a-kind entertainer.

But just as important to us, we'll have no place to have a drink and be entertained after the shows ... there are a couple of "open" bars, but it's not the same, as there's no entertainment after a certain hour (usually before the shows), and the ambience has all the charm of the embarkation "lounge." We'd like to stay up a bit later to enjoy what the ship has to offer, but since every such venue allows smoking, there's absolutely no place for us to go. I know we're not the only such persons, since the Pig & Whistle was packed every night on every Voyager cruise we sailed.

Our requests to Royal Caribbean have fallen on deaf ears. With the Crown Princess and new Carnival Magic as options, we're certainly going to explore the other possibilities if Royal Caribbean continues to disappoint us (no, we haven't given up yet). Do any of you have similar issues?

Sweet! when is she due for the make over? Do they still allow smoking in the Pig and Whistle Bar?? Thank You ahead of time.

Earl & Kathy

Archived