dress code

They call them Formal Nights for a reason even if it is only "suggested" attire.

Personally, I would like to see them go to open seating on formal nights and have one dining room formal only and enforce it at the entrances! Let the folks who don't want to dress up go to the other dining room.

Yeah! I know I am an old fuddy duddy but I still like to dress up for formal occasions from time to time. Last year on the Mariner I saw college kids in shorts and tee shirts in the dining room on formal nights.

They already do have a dining room for those who do not want to follow the dress code: it's called the Windjammer.

If you go to the RCI link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do;jsessionid=0000HPZhX-rItqMSt5oky9AUhXz:10ktdmqkf

You will see it does NOT say suggested.

I agree.

If you don't want to dress up for formal night there is absolutely no problem with that at all. Just dine somewhere else besides the dining room.

Just let those who want a real, formal dining experience, enjoy it in the dining room.

Then, everybody is happy :)

I have to be frank here and say that I'm so sick and tired of people saying "It's MY vacation and I'll do what I want" Ticks the heck out of me. Flame me all you want, but I think it shows a lack of maturity and an extremely selfish attitude. But that's just ME. Sometimes we have to do things in life that we don't want to. I would LOVE to go to dinner every night of my cruise wearing my Sponge Bob sleep pants, but out of respect for the ambiance of the evening, and those that enjoy it, I don't.

Your captain is your host. He asked nicely that you wear certain attire. If you don't like his request for that locale, then go to someone elses party...(windjammer)

The OP asked about jeans. If they are going on a Caribbean cruise, leave the jeans behind. WAY too hot.

This happened to us on Majesty of the Seas. Hubby told our very nice waiter that we wouldn't be dining in the dining room on formal night because he hates to wear a tie and didn't bring one, so we would eat in the Windjammer.

Our waiter asked us to please, please come anyway. So Hubby said again he had no tie. And our waiter said very nicely that he would LEND Hubby HIS tie for the night!!!! We all had a good laugh.

It might not say suggested on the website..........but most people go by what is printed in the Daily Compass..........and it says "Dress Suggestion".

The only point I was trying to make is that up until very recently, the website DID say suggested. It just changed, and now doesn't even have a suggestion for anything but formal night and smart casual, and it used to suggest for casual as well.

No where does it even "suggest" anymore that jeans are not allowed on causal nights. I bet that they change the compass now too. Suggested has been done away with.

They have become much more relaxed about casual nights, and are no longer giving any suggestion other than to say no shorts, t-shirts and no swim suits. This came about because there were too many people who WANTED a more relaxed atmosphere.

I might "suggest" reading this also:

: What are the dress codes onboard?s.gifA: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4 - night cruises include one formal night and the remainder nights are casual.

5 - night cruises include one formal and the remainder nights casual.

6 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder nights casual. 7 to 9 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights casual.

10 to 13-night cruises include two formal nights, two smart casual nights, and the remainder nights casual.

14+ - night cruises include three formal nights, four smart casual nights and the remainder nights casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Please note ice skating on our Voyager Family ships & Freedom of the Seas requires that all skaters wear long pants and socks for their own comfort and safety. Capris and long shorts are permitted.

How rude. :mad: Blatant disregard for the guidelines and yes, the other diners who actually understand what "formal night" means. Good way to teach the boys how to behave (and dress) out in the world! "Do what you want - nevermind anyone else."

Stick to the hot dog and pizza bar.

Exactly who appointed you to be the manners police???

How does it affect you if I choose to dress differently??? Does my husband wearing jeans affect the "taste" of your lobster? How preposterous...how self-important....to assume that the way I dress should in any way reflect on you...

My husband is a physician...over 13 years of higher education...how dare anyone suggest we are doing a poor job in teaching our boys how to behave....I'm raising a son with impeccable grades, manners, and behavior.

When on a job interview, yes, dress is of the utmost importance. When on vacation...one should ENJOY the experience...which includes dressing in a manner in which one feels comfortable.

I won't apologize for our choice of dress WHEN ON VACATION. If you're uncomfortable with it, my only advice is for you to get a life.

Jen

I have to be frank here and say that I'm so sick and tired of people saying "It's MY vacation and I'll do what I want" Ticks the heck out of me. Flame me all you want, but I think it shows a lack of maturity and an extremely selfish attitude. But that's just ME. Sometimes we have to do things in life that we don't want to. I would LOVE to go to dinner every night of my cruise wearing my Sponge Bob sleep pants, but out of respect for the ambiance of the evening, and those that enjoy it, I don't.

Your captain is your host. He asked nicely that you wear certain attire. If you don't like his request for that locale, then go to someone elses party...(windjammer)

The OP asked about jeans. If they are going on a Caribbean cruise, leave the jeans behind. WAY too hot.

Exactly how does it "bother" you for me to wear jeans???? How does it reflect my maturity that my family and I wish to dress the way we want on OUR vacation??? Again, I ask, why does it matter to YOU how WE dress??? I am not objecting to your DH dressing up...why should you object to my DH not dressing up??? How exactly does it affect you that beneath the table he has on denim??? No one can answer this question because the answer is that IT DOES NOT AFFECT ANYONE.

Yes, in life we sometimes do things we don't want to...(interviews, etc.)but not on a vacation we are paying well over $6,000 for...there is absolutely no reason to force someone to dress in a way they feel uncomfortable just to please some people who are stuck in the dark ages or are just so obnoxious that they presume to impose their standards on everyone else.

Jen

I guess my whole point is that if you want to dress formal...GREAT...dress formal...

But if my DH and son are in jeans or khakis...how does that bother you or affect your meal?? Why should we dine somewhere else when we paid the same amount for our cruise and "deserve" to be in the dining room as much as you do?

What we wear under our table DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR EXPERIENCE...

Why can't you understand that?

Makes no sense to me whatsoever...

Okay, I'm going to take a deep breath and go to bed now. I knew responding to this thread would get to me. The audacity and arrogance of people who think they have a right to dictate others just gets to me.

Jen

Exactly who appointed you to be the manners police???

How does it affect you if I choose to dress differently??? Does my husband wearing jeans affect the "taste" of your lobster? How preposterous...how self-important....to assume that the way I dress should in any way reflect on you...

My husband is a physician...over 13 years of higher education...how dare anyone suggest we are doing a poor job in teaching our boys how to behave....I'm raising a son with impeccable grades, manners, and behavior.

When on a job interview, yes, dress is of the utmost importance. When on vacation...one should ENJOY the experience...which includes dressing in a manner in which one feels comfortable.

I won't apologize for our choice of dress WHEN ON VACATION. If you're uncomfortable with it, my only advice is for you to get a life.

Jen

As another physician who hates to dress up i say BRAVO to you.

while i was stupid enough to rent my ill fitting tux on the last cruise, i couls had and should have worn my sport coat and tie.

no sooner was dinner over than i changed to my usual evenig attire. LL bean chinos and a tony soprano type shirt:D :D

Me thinks we have angered the gods. :D :D

Hey, I would be more than happy to dine with either of you on formal night in jeans. Although, if I were in a tux and you in jeans, you might see me excuse myself, run to the room, and return in a pair of jeans.

I have no problem with what anyone wants to wear. I find it fun to dress up for a night or two, but I would be even happier not dressing. That is why I love my home city of Los Angeles, where the fanciest restaurants suggest casual every night, or why we love to vacation in Hawaii or the Caribbean, where shorts are the order of the day, and night, at dinner.

The only people I ever see dressed up at Mortons in L.A. are the tourists who don't know better. I think from now on, I will give them a stink eye, and tell them that they should go dress in the appropriate attire....JEANS!!!!!

I don't see what the big deal is dressing up once or even twice for a 7 day cruise. Is it that hard to wear a tie??? Are they that uncomfortable? I personally enjoy dressing up and going to a formal dinner. Its not like it takes a ton of extra time to put a suit on for dinner. Nor does it take a ton of time to take it off after dinner and put something more casual on. I don't think its all that big of a deal. :)

I don't see what the big deal is dressing up once or even twice for a 7 day cruise. Is it that hard to wear a tie??? Are they that uncomfortable? I personally enjoy dressing up and going to a formal dinner. Its not like it takes a ton of extra time to put a suit on for dinner. Nor does it take a ton of time to take it off after dinner and put something more casual on. I don't think its all that big of a deal. :)

I enjoy it for a night or two as well, but it is not for us to question why someone does not.

It is, most of the time, a tropical caribbean vacation. I can totally understand not wanting to dress for that. And cruising is not just for those who enjoy wearing a tie. Maybe if we all worried more about ourselves and not what someone else is wearing, we would not have such sticks up our butts.

The cruise lines obviously need to strictly enforce it. Formal is formal and thats it. If you don't want to dress formal, you can't go to a formal dining room and must dine somewhere else. If people don't like it, then try a different form of vacation.

Does RCI state anywhere that you MUST wear a suit on formal night? I've never actually checked to see.

No, they don't. They merely state "Suggested". Suggested is just that. A suggestion. I could suggest that you jump off a cliff, but it does not mean you have to do it.

And my point was, if you read, that a cruise is not just for those who want to dress formal. We have actually come a long was since the 50's. So to say that those who don't want to dress formal should find an alternate vacation is just arrogant.

No, they don't. They merely state "Suggested". Suggested is just that. A suggestion. I could suggest that you jump off a cliff, but it does not mean you have to do it.

And my point was, if you read, that a cruise is not just for those who want to dress formal. We have actually come a long was since the 50's. So to say that those who don't want to dress formal should find an alternate vacation is just arrogant.

If the cruise line stated it, my comment would not be arrogant!!! I thought they did and I guess my thinking was wrong. Shame on RCI then for not enforcing it.

If the cruise line stated it, my comment would not be arrogant!!! I thought they did and I guess my thinking was wrong. Shame on RCI then for not enforcing it.

They don't enfore it cause they just don't care that much. They want everyone to enjoy their vacation and get what they paid for. And on all the cruises that I have been on, the majority of the guests were dressed for formal night. So the small percentage that don't would not be a big deal. We have come to a new era in cruising, and I bet that before long, formal nights will be a thing of the past. Except on maybe Cunard, HAL and Celebrity Crystal, etc. But on RCI, Princess Carnival, etc. I bet they are gone eventually.

Yes, but by not enforcing it they are causing a ton of confusion. It's one or the other. Like I said, I don't mind the formal nights at all. I would not be broken hearted if they did away with them either. Didnt mean to sound arrogant or anything earlier. Just think people get too pumped up on these boards sometimes over things that aren't that big of a deal.

Archived