Royal Suite - Tipping Butler - Amount?

Bababooey Land

Unless the website is wrong there is no mention of the word butler anywhere in Celebrity's own definition of how tips are distributed. If you don't believe me you can check it yourself on Celebrity's website under FAQ. The butler is not included in Celebrity's distribution list.

If I am wrong show me where it says the butler is included in tip distribution. I am only saying what the website shows.

Whether it's stated or not, I believe the butler's standard gratuities are included in the $15.50 pp per day automatic gratuity. If butlers were not included, I feel certain that this would be mentioned to insure that butlers, who I assume are very happy to be promoted to that position, are not excluded or stiffed. Celebrity is not shy in adding gratuities in any other situation, so why would they fail to ensure a basic gratuity for those who are employed to keep suite passengers happy?

I wish Celebrity Cruises would chime in and stop misinformation from being stated as fact.

Edited by thebutlerdidit

Here's the most recent breakdown of how Celebrity allocates the gratuity:

$12.00 per person per day in staterooms

$12.50 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

$15.50 per person per day in Suites

This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience.

At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account. Prepaid gratuities for those with Select Dining may not be modified.

A 18% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages and mini bar purchases, 18% to spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

The breakdown is as follows:

• Waiter - $3.65 pp/per day
  • Ass't. Waiter - $2.10 pp/per day
  • DR Mgm't. - $1.00 pp/per day
  • Stateroom Service - Amount varies based on cabin category occupied:
    • Suite Butler $3.50 pp/per day (cabin steward ALSO gets $3.50)
    • Aqua Cabin Steward - $4.00 pp/per day
    • Concierge Class Cabin Steward - $4.00 pp/per day
    • Regular Stateroom Cabin Steward - $3.50 pp/per day.

[*]Other service personnel: $1.25 pp/per day

I can confirm having actually spoken to my butlers about gratuities, that the $3.50 extra per day is earmarked to them in a suite and is not paid extra to the Cabin Steward. GASP! Actually talking to the help?! Yes, I do and enjoy it.

In reality the job of a cabin steward is no more complicated in the PH than a standard cabin, make bed clean bathroom replace towels. They are not deep-cleaning the entire space every day, they don't vacuum the entire floor every day) nor do they in standard cabins) etc. Perhaps takes an extra 5 minutes to do a quick dust down on occasions, and once a week vet the entire space.

Edited by cle-guy

Good morning!

In the 123 Deal for RS after April 2014, isn't the "tips" included? I understand tipping extra at everyone's discretion on top though.

Thanks, Francis:)

The new Suite Perks program that starts in April is different than the All-Inclusive 123 Promotion.

Suite Perks DOES NOT include complimentary gratuities.

the All-In 123 promotion DOES include gratuities for qualified bookings into Concierge and better cabins.

Staff do get paid out tips from the promotions, so even if one sails with free gratuities, the staff are still getting their standard gratuities.

Edited by cle-guy

Unless the website is wrong there is no mention of the word butler anywhere in Celebrity's own definition of how tips are distributed. If you don't believe me you can check it yourself on Celebrity's website under FAQ. The butler is not included in Celebrity's distribution list.

If I am wrong show me where it says the butler is included in tip distribution. I am only saying what the website shows.

A I said "until a few years ago" Celebrity separated out the various gratuities in the daily rate. They, no longer do so but it does not make it any less true. If you do not believe me and the other posters who have told you so, ask any butler on your next cruise.

A I said "until a few years ago" Celebrity separated out the various gratuities in the daily rate. They, no longer do so but it does not make it any less true. If you do not believe me and the other posters who have told you so, ask any butler on your next cruise.

Really depends how needy the tenant of the suite is. I think in theory if you ask no more of the butler than his nominal duties (bringing canapes, picking up delivering laundry, and getting you a reservation in a specialty restauraunt), the standard suggested Celebrity gratuity is probably fine if you're watching your dollars.

If you want dinner parties set up, in room dining, special requests, you should provide ADDITIONAL compensation or don't ask him to do it.

I've been on cruises (restaurants and hotels also) where a guest demands more attention than the norm, but doesn't feel any obligation to return the service with compensation (or in some cases even a thank you). It might not be required but it certainly is the right thing to do.

Our butler brought our Cappuccinos and he actually refused our tip! He said he liked visiting us first thing in the morning due to our smiles.

At the end of the cruise, he said the money helped, but those smiles meant more.

Facebook-Like-Button.jpg

We asked for more than typical special requests and he did a couple of things that were very special (no in room dining), but I appreciate your input...we had prepaid all tips...so these tips were bonus...how about the Michael's Club concierge bonus extra tip? She was amazing too.

Our butler brought our Cappuccinos and he actually refused our tip! He said he liked visiting us first thing in the morning due to our smiles.

At the end of the cruise, he said the money helped, but those smiles meant more.

What a suck up. :D:D:D

We asked for more than typical special requests and he did a couple of things that were very special (no in room dining), but I appreciate your input...we had prepaid all tips...so these tips were bonus...how about the Michael's Club concierge bonus extra tip? She was amazing too.

On some cruses I have tipped the Michaels concierge, $50, but she was bending backwards to accommodate me, and even allowed me (sailed as solo in PH) to bring guests into the club on a couple occasions, formal nights, as we were all dressed and took photos.

Others, they have just been friendly and not done much so I haven't tipped them.

I have run into some of my former butlers on subsequent ships and they have remembered me by name, never sure if that's a good sign or a bad one :D

I always wonder why the staff remember you! We had one waiter who had been waiting for seven years on P&O, but he had never even served us, but he would always greet us like long lost friends!

I often wonder if the crew keep a database of difficult pax! We did observe a scene in Blu once, the diners were being horrible to the all staff, we and other diners sympathised with the staff later, their comment was 'They are known all over the ship'

We nearly always tip well above the suggested amount just because we are in the business and know how hard the work is cleaning up other people's dirt and in the case of the butler who occasionally serves us breakfast, dinner, had Spanish coffees waiting after dinner etc.....depending on how much he has done we will tip extra starting at $50 - $100 and up from there if there was a lot of work involved for him/her on that particular trip..... while they don't expect more than the "suggested" amount, it really is minimal when considering the work that is done....especially for stateroom attendants and dining room wait staff.....

With all due respect, you are incorrect. Until a few years ago, Celebrity actually used to break down the daily standard gratuities and the additional paid in a suite was solely made up of the butler's gratuity.

We found one of the breakdown sheets in the rotating tower that holds the daily paper for the onboard pax. It's located right near guest relations(on the Eclipse)I'd assume it's in the same area on all the Celebrity ships.

I always wonder why the staff remember you! We had one waiter who had been waiting for seven years on P&O, but he had never even served us, but he would always greet us like long lost friends!

I often wonder if the crew keep a database of difficult pax! We did observe a scene in Blu once, the diners were being horrible to the all staff, we and other diners sympathised with the staff later, their comment was 'They are known all over the ship'

We had a bartender on Cunard who always rememberd us. It's not like we drank that much(I do the soft drink package) We liked him & always requested him & tipped him above the auto tip. We had a cabin attendant(from a previous trip) who bought us a drink one night. I think staff remembers those who go above & beyond in treating them well. Being in the hospitality industry(catering co.)we like to treat the staff like family.

[quote name='cle-guy']Here's the most recent breakdown of how Celebrity allocates the gratuity:

The breakdown is as follows:
[LIST]
[*]Waiter - $3.65 pp/per day
[*]Ass't. Waiter - $2.10 pp/per day
[*]DR Mgm't. - $1.00 pp/per day
[*]Stateroom Service - Amount varies based on cabin category occupied:
[LIST]
[*]Suite Butler $3.50 pp/per day (cabin steward ALSO gets $3.50)
[*]Aqua Cabin Steward - $4.00 pp/per day
[*]Concierge Class Cabin Steward - $4.00 pp/per day
[*]Regular Stateroom Cabin Steward - $3.50 pp/per day.
[/LIST]
[*]Other service personnel: $1.25 pp/per day
[/LIST]

I can confirm having actually spoken to my butlers about gratuities, that the $3.50 extra per day is earmarked to them in a suite and is not paid extra to the Cabin Steward. GASP! Actually talking to the help?! Yes, I do and enjoy it.

In reality the job of a cabin steward is no more complicated in the PH than a standard cabin, make bed clean bathroom replace towels. They are not deep-cleaning the entire space every day, they don't vacuum the entire floor every day) nor do they in standard cabins) etc. Perhaps takes an extra 5 minutes to do a quick dust down on occasions, and once a week vet the entire space.[/QUOTE]
I found that breakdown sheet in the daily paper rack near guest relations.