Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future

I think I don't count because I can't count. I should practice more...it's 14 times on RD. :p But it won't add up to a whole lot more with her new itineraries. Once to Australia is all we'll do - WAY too far for routine visits. It makes Europe seem like a close neighbor.

I'd LOVE to see her doing the Mexican Riviera again. We love those ports, the landscape, and the climate on that side.

Gina

I'd LOVE to see her doing the Mexican Riviera again. We love those ports, the landscape, and the climate on that side.

Gina

It was nice when she was doing the MR. Hopefully things will settle down in Mexico so she can come back and do it.

My favorite port has always been Zihuatanejo.

Speaking of Mexico and I love mexican food. Why is there a cover charge for Ritas?????

Speaking of Mexico and I love mexican food. Why is there a cover charge for Ritas?????

I hear ya!

The cover isn't much ... but still :rolleyes: I can understand the cover on all the other places (well, not Izumi where there is a cover PLUS a la carte :eek:) but I can't see the cover for this. $7 so I can satisfy my avocado obsession ... oh well.

(All I can say is they better let me order the fajitas for 2!! - I'll be by myself)

I hear ya!

The cover isn't much ... but still :rolleyes: I can understand the cover on all the other places (well' date=' not Izumi where there is a cover PLUS a la carte :eek:) but I can't see the cover for this. $7 so I can satisfy my avocado obsession ... oh well.

(All I can say is they better let me order the fajitas for 2!! - I'll be by myself)[/quote']

There is the cover PLUS a la carte at Rita's also: (quoting RCL)

open for lunch and dinner, $3 cover charge and a la carte menu pricing

I can see one or the other charge but not both. I thought this was one of the biggest advantages of cruising was meals included in the price of the cruise. Because we love mexican food, we will probably try Rita's once but none of the others as we're not foodies!

Linda (and C. D.)

There is the cover PLUS a la carte at Rita's also: (quoting RCL)

open for lunch and dinner, $3 cover charge and a la carte menu pricing

I can see one or the other charge but not both. I thought this was one of the biggest advantages of cruising was meals included in the price of the cruise. Because we love mexican food, we will probably try Rita's once but none of the others as we're not foodies!

Linda (and C. D.)

Ok. Let me see if I get this right.

So you have to pay $3 just to walk in the door, and then you pay a flat rate for each item you order?

Ok. Let me see if I get this right.

So you have to pay $3 just to walk in the door, and then you pay a flat rate for each item you order?

I didn't realize there was a second restaurant with the cover and ala cart pricing. Thinking about it, I'd say the best reason for doing this - since they are deducting the cover from the total ala cart price in the end - is to keep kids from going in and parking at a table and drinking soda. In other words, people won't be using it as a free hang out.

Even some adults might find these to be nice places to sit, and if allowed in for free, they might decide to go there for a card game or a chat. I'm not saying it would happen or the reasoning behind the cover charge...but it's a possibility.

Gina

7 new restaurants 5 of which have additional fees. What were they thinking????? :eek: ;) :D

More revenue!!! :rolleyes: Don't people realize they have already paid for a meal once, then are paying a second time when they patronize the specialty restaurants? Adds up to some rather pricey dinners! :eek:

Linda (and C. D.)

Ummm' date=' you do know that a whole lot of people are reading this ;)

Why don't you share with the rest of the class :D[/quote']

Well, since you asked I will tell you.

Back in December of 2009 we did a cruise on Radiance down to the MR out of San Diego. Gina and her husband were also on this cruise. Juan Diego was on vacation so the lovely Georgina was his replacement in the CL and what a sweetheart she is.

We went to the CL in the mornings after we had our breakfast in the WJ and on several occasions when we were in there chatting with Georgina, there was this one gentlemen who walked in with a bathrobe on and slippers.:eek: I believe they were in a GS because the robes for the GS and above are slightly different that what D+ get.

Now, this gentleman was tall but he wasn't the Fabio type..........more the Dom Deluise type but with hair. He would casually walk into the lounge, get his coffee and his breakfast rolls and then leave.:eek: Couple of times he came in with the robe on and barefoot!

After about the third time, Georgina called his cabin and spoke with his wife, who was a very nice lady and who apologized for her husband, and kindly asked her to tell her husband that the bathrobe attire is not part of the suggested dress for the CL.

Didn't do any good..........he still continued to come into the lounge in the mornings. And if Georgina called, they wouldn't answer the phone, because there is caller ID on the phones.

Here's a picture that Gina took.

attachment.php?attachmentid=142103&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1262535002

He was upset because the decaffeinated button on the coffee machine was broken and he couldn't get their specialty coffee. So, he went down to Lattitudes, ordered 2 decaffeinated coffees, picked them up without paying for them and then brought them up to the CL and announced to everyone that RCI gave the two cups of coffee to him for free.:eek:

Well, since you asked I will tell you.

Back in December of 2009 we did a cruise on Radiance down to the MR out of San Diego. Gina and her husband were also on this cruise. Juan Diego was on vacation so the lovely Georgina was his replacement in the CL and what a sweetheart she is.

We went to the CL in the mornings after we had our breakfast in the WJ and on several occasions when we were in there chatting with Georgina, there was this one gentlemen who walked in with a bathrobe on and slippers.:eek: I believe they were in a GS because the robes for the GS and above are slightly different that what D+ get.

Now, this gentleman was tall but he wasn't the Fabio type..........more the Dom Deluise type but with hair. He would casually walk into the lounge, get his coffee and his breakfast rolls and then leave.:eek: Couple of times he came in with the robe on and barefoot!

After about the third time, Georgina called his cabin and spoke with his wife, who was a very nice lady and who apologized for her husband, and kindly asked her to tell her husband that the bathrobe attire is not part of the suggested dress for the CL.

Didn't do any good..........he still continued to come into the lounge in the mornings. And if Georgina called, they wouldn't answer the phone, because there is caller ID on the phones.

Here's a picture that Gina took.

attachment.php?attachmentid=142103&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1262535002

He was upset because the decaffeinated button on the coffee machine was broken and he couldn't get their specialty coffee. So, he went down to Lattitudes, ordered 2 decaffeinated coffees, picked them up without paying for them and then brought them up to the CL and announced to everyone that RCI gave the two cups of coffee to him for free.:eek:

Thanks for the story, I never knew the real story behind the robe thing in the CL.....what clods!!! :eek:

Thanks for the story, I never knew the real story behind the robe thing in the CL.....what clods!!! :eek:

:D That's funny!

Just goes to prove a point ... low class is low class, no matter how much money you have (or how many cruises you have been on). ;)

Patti, can you please have your friend confirm the price of Rita's. I have a feeling that the press release was wrong. Rita's is not a la carte on any other ship ... (to me it looks like a cut and paste job gone wrong.) It wouldn't hurt to have it verified. :)

:D That's funny!

Just goes to prove a point ... low class is low class' date=' no matter how much money you have (or how many cruises you have been on). ;)

Patti, can you please have your friend confirm the price of Rita's. I have a feeling that the press release was wrong. Rita's is not a la carte on any other ship ... (to me it looks like a cut and paste job gone wrong.) It wouldn't hurt to have it verified. :)[/quote']

I will send her an email now.

Edit: message sent.

Rita's Cantina: A casual yet vibrant indoor/outdoor restaurant, catering to families by day, and adults by night; offering traditional Mexican fare, a comprehensive selection of margaritas and live guitar music and dancing for evening entertainment (open for lunch and dinner, $3 cover charge and a la carte menu pricing)

I thought I had read elsewhere that Rita's had a $7 cover charge only, and no a la carte menu pricing? Can anyone confirm this?

I thought I had read elsewhere that Rita's had a $7 cover charge only, and no a la carte menu pricing? Can anyone confirm this?

From the RCI website.... "A fee of $7.95 USD applies per dining guest. Specialty beverages, beer, wine and soda are offered at current bar menu price".

I have sent an email to a friend currently on board to confirm this.

It won't be us!!! :eek: :eek:

I don't think we will be able to cruise on the Radiance again, unless they bring her back to the west coast!

:confused:

I would have thought more people would have booked Alaska after the news of the dry dock ... I know I would have jumped at the opportunity (if I wasn't already booked. :) )

From the RCI website.... "A fee of $7.95 USD applies per dining guest. Specialty beverages, beer, wine and soda are offered at current bar menu price".

I have sent an email to a friend currently on board to confirm this.

Thanks Patti! With Izumi where there is a cover charge plus a la carte pricing, is the cover charge deducted from your total bill?

7 new restaurants 5 of which have additional fees. What were they thinking????? :eek: ;) :D

They have to make a profit somewhere. At least the new restaurants are voluntary. I would much prefer they earn the revenue they need from restaurants/services/tours than charge ALL of us extra for a fuel supplement.

"For US reservations, Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement on all guests if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65.00 USD per barrel."

Oil is currently selling for $119 a barrel.

Just saying.......

They have to make a profit somewhere. At least the new restaurants are voluntary. I would much prefer they earn the revenue they need from restaurants/services/tours than charge ALL of us extra for a fuel supplement.

"For US reservations, Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement on all guests if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65.00 USD per barrel."

Oil is currently selling for $119 a barrel.

Just saying.......

Actually, there is a big difference currently between the price for West Texas (Cushing) and other world oil prices. But you are correct that it is still higher than $65 USD and that is the futures price and not the spot price.:D Sorry, couldn't resist, must be because I pay too much attention to the WSJ and really need to get a life.

Archived