Why Haven't we Heard This?

sail7seas

We received an e-mail from a good friend of ours who is on an HAL ship in Alaska. He said they are wearing their Whites the weather has been so incredibly warm. Apparently the calving is incredible and the glaciers are melting?

Have I missed it or has no one who cruised in Alaska lately mentioned this? Seems remarkable to me the crews would be in Whites....that the weather is that mild.

This has been one of the hottest summers in the far north in the last 10 or 20 years. It's probably, in part, due to the incredibly hyper-active solar activity -- the repeated CMEs and extensive sun-spot activity this far beyond solar max is curious, but not heard of before. Anyway, the amount of solar energy hitting the earth right now is significantly higher than normal, and it's being felt in the north.

From what I've read, this increased heat in the north has been melting more of the northern ice caps than is normally melted in the summers and this is flooding the north Atlantic and Pacific with more fresh water than normal. This fresh water is causing the salinity level of the oceans to drop, as well as the temperatures, and that drop in salinity is causing the jet stream to shift south, drawing cooler temperatures further south. Hence, this has been the coldest August in Texas in over 10 years.

:)

Who would have ever thought that solar-induced global warming is actually causing cooling in the more southern latitudes. :)

Oh ... and as an aside ... please note that I've made no political statements, nor have I said that humans are causing this. In fact, in all likelihood anything humans may be doing is minimal compared to the amount of energy the sun is pumping into our atmosphere.

There have been many days this "summer" where it has been warmer in Alaska than here in the Northeast.

I saw a 90 degree reading for Anchorage a few weeks ago when it was in the 60s here!

Apparently "Global Warming" is very selective.

This change in the northern weather pattern has been a blessing here in east Tennessee.

The cooler winds from the jet stream have made amazing differences in lower humidity and better rain patterns here. This has been one of the most pleasant summers I can remember.

How exciting to be in Alaska now. Wouldn't you just love to be there?

Personally.....

Me.....

In Alaska?

Low on my list of "must do's".

I realize loads of folks love it; I can't say it interests me at the moment.

When we were in Vancouver in July it was sooooo hot! 100F the day we sailed in. Sitka was in the upper 80's and we sunbathed in Skagway also. I suspect because of the heat there is more calving this year! We were amazed at how active Hubbard Glacier was both days we visited. I was amazed how sunburned I got and rarely did I even put a sweater on. Truly amazing weather for the Northwest! The day we flew home it was 15 degrees cooler (low 80's) in the Sacramento Valley than it was in Vancouver (upper 90's)!:eek:

Have any of you seen the movie "Day After Tomorrow"? This makes me think about that. Pretty scary when you think what might happen some day because of the liberties we've taken with the environment.

Anyway, Alaska tends to be unpredictable. But this is amazingly warm for this time of year.

I guess I must be "no one" as I am sure I said something at my return from the Ryndam!! It's okay though, won't be the last time I am "no one":D .

P.S. S7S- You are in great company, as neither of my teens listen to me either:eek: :cool:

Yes, the world is upside down. Tonight on the local news the weatherman mentioned that by mid-August Washington DC normally has had 10 90 degree days for the month. We have had one so far with none in the forecast. Tonight it is already in the 60's, unbelievable for this time of the year.

I've had tablemates with a bazillion cruises that got so bored with all the places they've been to so many times that they finally "gave in" and booked an Alaskan cruise.

Said it was the best cruise they have ever been on. :D :D

I guess I must be "no one" as I am sure I said something at my return from the Ryndam!! It's okay though, won't be the last time I am "no one":D .

P.S. S7S- You are in great company, as neither of my teens listen to me either:eek: :cool:

Of course you are a "SOMEONE", Localady. I simply missed it. I promise to read more carefully. :)

Thank you for mentioning it....for those who either have better retention than me or read a little more carefully.

Maybe I'd been on the board a long time the day I read your comments and my eyes were a little blurry???

Have any of you seen the movie "Day After Tomorrow"? This makes me think about that. Pretty scary when you think what might happen some day because of the liberties we've taken with the environment.

I was thinking about it too ... but I seriously doubt either the extremes which the film depicted, or the finger-pointing that it engaged in. There are absolutely NO liberties which humans can take which would cause sun spot activity to maintain solar max+ levels this far beyond solar max, nor is there anything we could possibly do (including dropping nukes into the sun) that would cause it to discharge dozens of solar mass ejections, flooding the earth with many thousands of times the amount of energy as we normally receive. In short ... we're not doing this. We might be having a minor effect, but it's negligible compared to what the sun is currently doing, or what we've seen volcanos and major forest do to our atmosphere on a yearly basis.

We were in Alaska in May and I was really surprised at how warm it was. It seems every time I checked the weather page this summer Alaska seemed to be very warm, but I just thought I happened to check on warm days.

It seems as if the whole west coast has been kind of warm. We could use some cool weather here in San Diego area. Well, at least out in the east county area where we live.

Of course you are a "SOMEONE", Localady. I simply missed it. I promise to read more carefully. :)

Thank you for mentioning it....for those who either have better retention than me or read a little more carefully.

Maybe I'd been on the board a long time the day I read your comments and my eyes were a little blurry???

S7S- I was really just teasing with you, hence the big smiles!! :D :D

Only part I wasn't kidding about was the part of my children not hearing me, they only hear me when I don't want them too!!:rolleyes:

We just came home yesterday from our southbound glacier discovery tour on the Statendam. The weather was incredible!! We didn't see much calving- just enough to say that we saw it, but not enough to be completely in awe!

The famous Perry Como song about the bluest skies are in Seattle certainly holds true this summer. July was the thrid hottest on record. On 15 days we had high temps over 80 with a few in the 90's. We had less than 1/4 " of rain in July and only one day of rain in August. Fire danger in all our forests is "very high" to extreme. Slightly cooler this week (high 70's and low 80s) but no rain in site, just more of those Perry Como blue skies.

Guest Anorak33

Our Alaska cruise this year was May 9th for 14 days on Statendam - a magic trip and lovely warm weather, cloudy only in Seward.

One reason for unseen posts about a member's cruise to Alaska and weather there might be that the poster is on the "ignore" list.

I am sure that could not possibly apply to localady though.

Archived