Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Here is how my first cruise with my service dog went!

We thankfully had stayed in a hotel the night before so it was not as exhausting getting onto the ship. It was remarkably difficult and took a bit longer than I assumed it would. They didn’t know what papers they wanted and just took one copy of each record I had brought with me (I carry all my vet records everywhere with me). It was a bit frustrating, but nonetheless we made it onto the ship. 

We immediately went to ask where to potty box was. Again, it took a long time waiting for the representative to find out where it was placed, and even then they were unable to give very good directions to it. We looked and looked and could not find it for the first couple of hours after the muster drill. When we did find it…. Boy oh boy. I should have brought my own potty filler! They put about 1 layer of paper cat litter in there. The filler wasn’t a huge deal, location was a deal breaker. I had to go into the crew area through HUGE heavy doors. Let alone it was indoors and I have never asked Gunner to potty indoors. I got crushed by the door one time and went back to guest services about moving it. I got a big runaround about how they had to have it in the crew area, I was polite, but adamant that I was incapable of going through the crew doors and eventually got it moved to the end of the outdoor smoking lounge. Not really a total win, but I could at least open the door and it was outside.

Apart from the potty situation, the cruise was AMAZING!
The crew was respectful, we had a PERFECT spot in the dining room. We were in a corner round table so Gunner was able to be comfortable every evening at dinner in his own space (he does fit under the table, but it’s nice to have some leg room).

We occasionally had problems with other adult cruisers, never the kids (maybe they teach this in school now?), but nothing I wasn’t used to off the cruise.

No seasickness (which I was prepared for just in case).

I did learn Gunner is not a fan of the huge flash photography boxes, but that wasn’t a big deal and easy to work on.

He makes my life 100x easier and made this my best cruise yet!
As for the ports, we stopped in Cozumel and Progreso.

We met with port officials each morning we ported where the excursions meet. For getting off in Cozumel the Mexican official just wanted to see the original copy of his rabies vaccine and had a look in his ears (presumably for external parasites). Then we got a sheet of paper says we were good to disembark whenever. The funny thing was that when we did try to get off, the official at the ship’s exit didn’t think our certificate from the previous officials was good enough and called his superiors to ensure we were good to get off the ship. It only took a few minutes of standing to the side of the line and we were off. It was incredibly easy to get a taxi, get on an all inclusive beach and to relax the rest of the day. We did a little shopping before getting back on the ship and none of the shops asked for him to stay outside so that was very nice as well.

In Progreso, we went to the excursion area as before, but the official was not at work that day so they said to just use the paper from yesterday. When getting off the official didn’t as much as glance at the paper and let us off. It was super! This was our first time stopping in Progreso so we were not sure what to expect and planned to just explore on foot. It was quite an experience to say the least. Gunner was so excited to be off the ship and was looking so hard for a tree to pee on, but it was a very crowded city-scape. LOL We walked a ways to the beach and walked down the shore for about an hour. We saw a few stray dogs and I was careful to keep myself between Gunner and the stray dogs, but they showed no interest in him or us. 

I’m thankful he is able to cruise with me and look forward to all our future cruises together. 

What I learned and wish I had taken into better consideration:

Kennels: There was not enough room in our cabin for a pop-up kennel. Gunner usually sleeps in a kennel just because that’s where he is most comfortable, so we made do with his bed just beside ours.

Shoes: I so wish I had thought to bring his shoes with us. There was a lot of glass on the streets in Progreso and in New Orleans where we left from.

Potty Box: I thought we were so good with potty-ing on our mulch at home in the kiddie pool. Nope, not even close. I will DEFINITELY be bringing my own turf to put in the potty box just so we have some sense of “oh yeah I know I can potty there”. It was a nightmare at first. 

And a quick list of the resources I used apart from this WONDERFUL forum. 

Kisor, Henry, and Christine Goodier. Traveling with Service Animals: by Air, Road, Rail, and Ship Across North America. University of Illinois, 2019.

Facebook Group:

https://www.*****/Accessiblecruising/

Other websites:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/service-dogs.aspx

82815851_3040821932595232_5265215887228534784_n.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, maddieking said:

Here is how my first cruise with my service dog went!

We thankfully had stayed in a hotel the night before so it was not as exhausting getting onto the ship. It was remarkably difficult and took a bit longer than I assumed it would. They didn’t know what papers they wanted and just took one copy of each record I had brought with me (I carry all my vet records everywhere with me). It was a bit frustrating, but nonetheless we made it onto the ship. 

We immediately went to ask where to potty box was. Again, it took a long time waiting for the representative to find out where it was placed, and even then they were unable to give very good directions to it. We looked and looked and could not find it for the first couple of hours after the muster drill. When we did find it…. Boy oh boy. I should have brought my own potty filler! They put about 1 layer of paper cat litter in there. The filler wasn’t a huge deal, location was a deal breaker. I had to go into the crew area through HUGE heavy doors. Let alone it was indoors and I have never asked Gunner to potty indoors. I got crushed by the door one time and went back to guest services about moving it. I got a big runaround about how they had to have it in the crew area, I was polite, but adamant that I was incapable of going through the crew doors and eventually got it moved to the end of the outdoor smoking lounge. Not really a total win, but I could at least open the door and it was outside.

Apart from the potty situation, the cruise was AMAZING!
The crew was respectful, we had a PERFECT spot in the dining room. We were in a corner round table so Gunner was able to be comfortable every evening at dinner in his own space (he does fit under the table, but it’s nice to have some leg room).

We occasionally had problems with other adult cruisers, never the kids (maybe they teach this in school now?), but nothing I wasn’t used to off the cruise.

No seasickness (which I was prepared for just in case).

I did learn Gunner is not a fan of the huge flash photography boxes, but that wasn’t a big deal and easy to work on.

He makes my life 100x easier and made this my best cruise yet!
As for the ports, we stopped in Cozumel and Progreso.

We met with port officials each morning we ported where the excursions meet. For getting off in Cozumel the Mexican official just wanted to see the original copy of his rabies vaccine and had a look in his ears (presumably for external parasites). Then we got a sheet of paper says we were good to disembark whenever. The funny thing was that when we did try to get off, the official at the ship’s exit didn’t think our certificate from the previous officials was good enough and called his superiors to ensure we were good to get off the ship. It only took a few minutes of standing to the side of the line and we were off. It was incredibly easy to get a taxi, get on an all inclusive beach and to relax the rest of the day. We did a little shopping before getting back on the ship and none of the shops asked for him to stay outside so that was very nice as well.

In Progreso, we went to the excursion area as before, but the official was not at work that day so they said to just use the paper from yesterday. When getting off the official didn’t as much as glance at the paper and let us off. It was super! This was our first time stopping in Progreso so we were not sure what to expect and planned to just explore on foot. It was quite an experience to say the least. Gunner was so excited to be off the ship and was looking so hard for a tree to pee on, but it was a very crowded city-scape. LOL We walked a ways to the beach and walked down the shore for about an hour. We saw a few stray dogs and I was careful to keep myself between Gunner and the stray dogs, but they showed no interest in him or us. 

I’m thankful he is able to cruise with me and look forward to all our future cruises together. 

What I learned and wish I had taken into better consideration:

Kennels: There was not enough room in our cabin for a pop-up kennel. Gunner usually sleeps in a kennel just because that’s where he is most comfortable, so we made do with his bed just beside ours.

Shoes: I so wish I had thought to bring his shoes with us. There was a lot of glass on the streets in Progreso and in New Orleans where we left from.

Potty Box: I thought we were so good with potty-ing on our mulch at home in the kiddie pool. Nope, not even close. I will DEFINITELY be bringing my own turf to put in the potty box just so we have some sense of “oh yeah I know I can potty there”. It was a nightmare at first. 

And a quick list of the resources I used apart from this WONDERFUL forum. 

Kisor, Henry, and Christine Goodier. Traveling with Service Animals: by Air, Road, Rail, and Ship Across North America. University of Illinois, 2019.

Facebook Group:

https://www.*****/Accessiblecruising/

Other websites:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/service-dogs.aspx

82815851_3040821932595232_5265215887228534784_n.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing your cruising experience with us. 

The potty box will ALWAYS remain a conundrum while cruising.  Again, bring your own litter cover  [a piece of artificial turf] and make sure that your dog has some home training with it, so he uses it easily.  It packs easily or can be carried on in a plastic bag.

I'm glad that you were able to enjoy your time with Gunner.  Your first experience is now behind you and you know what to expect for your next cruise.  Although, I have learned, over my many cruising moments that each time is a different time!!  

FYI:   For those who use a walker or wheel chair most cabin doors will not allow a walker or wheel chair to go through without folding it up.  This can be difficult for those of us with mobility issues.  And, most cabins do NOT have the floor space to add a crate for your dog to lay without being in the way.   It can get a bit tight in most cruise ship cabins, with a Service Dog.

Horton also makes my life much better by making everything easier for me!

43 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Maddieking,  Your review was great. It gets easier after you have that first cruise behind you. It was nice of you to mention the book Henry and I wrote! We had so much great input from people here.).

Maddieking, thanks to you, I threw her shoes into the pile of stuff for our trip, good suggestion. 

• Like 1

Update on the reply from Jamaica regarding their import requirements if you plan to stay onboard -

You DO NOT require a permit or need to meet the requirements for import.

They Do require basic information on yourself and your dog, which is needed in order to prepare an In-transit Letter.

- Your name

- Address

-Name of animal, Breed, age, sex, colour

-Microchip #

-Rabies Vaccination Date

- Information on the vessel, date and time of arrival, departure

- Any other documents you can provide for your dog

All this information is needed in order to inform the Port Animal Health Technician to monitor and ensure that the animal remains on board.

Hope this helps anyone else who will be stopping in Jamaica and is finding their requirements to disembark too onerous or too expensive (rabies titre test = $$$) or if you’re concerned about over medicating your dog.

And yeah, if there’s an emergency I guess we’re screwed!  At least the dog can tread water; I’ll sink like a stone!

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Thank you so much for sharing your cruising experience with us. 

The potty box will ALWAYS remain a conundrum while cruising.  Again, bring your own litter cover  [a piece of artificial turf] and make sure that your dog has some home training with it, so he uses it easily.  It packs easily or can be carried on in a plastic bag.

I'm glad that you were able to enjoy your time with Gunner.  Your first experience is now behind you and you know what to expect for your next cruise.  Although, I have learned, over my many cruising moments that each time is a different time!!  

FYI:   For those who use a walker or wheel chair most cabin doors will not allow a walker or wheel chair to go through without folding it up.  This can be difficult for those of us with mobility issues.  And, most cabins do NOT have the floor space to add a crate for your dog to lay without being in the way.   It can get a bit tight in most cruise ship cabins, with a Service Dog.

Horton also makes my life much better by making everything easier for me!

Definitely know for next time we will bring what we use at home for the potty box!

I love this forum and hearing how everyone has such helpful pups! 

On 12/29/2019 at 3:09 PM, Algebralovr said:

A good solution to a potty box for home use is a very small child’s wading pool.  We now have one in the basement with puppy pads in case the weather is really bad.  

I got a square 4x4 wading pool and filled it with cedar mulch, which is what Princess said Island uses. Jazz wouldn't even get in it until I directed him to and then just stood there with his nose pointed at the sky. I took him out to it at the regular times, but to no avail. 24 hours he refused to go, until I finally relented and let him free range in the back yard. I was worried that some harm would result from him holding it any longer. Since then he has pee'd on the side, but will not go in it on his own.

I am traveling by car right now, and will try again when we get home. I put some potted plants in it (he likes to lift his leg over/against a tall bush), intending to remove them one at a time, hoping he wouldn't notice! We are leaving on the Panama cruise in March. Can anyone tell me how long a standard poodle can "hold it" without damaging his kidneys or something?

30 minutes ago, Wendsong said:

I got a square 4x4 wading pool and filled it with cedar mulch, which is what Princess said Island uses. Jazz wouldn't even get in it until I directed him to and then just stood there with his nose pointed at the sky. I took him out to it at the regular times, but to no avail. 24 hours he refused to go, until I finally relented and let him free range in the back yard. I was worried that some harm would result from him holding it any longer. Since then he has pee'd on the side, but will not go in it on his own.

I am traveling by car right now, and will try again when we get home. I put some potted plants in it (he likes to lift his leg over/against a tall bush), intending to remove them one at a time, hoping he wouldn't notice! We are leaving on the Panama cruise in March. Can anyone tell me how long a standard poodle can "hold it" without damaging his kidneys or something?

my boy does this too, I just made sure he had access to plenty of water, kept taking to the box every so often giving him the opportunity and so he knew that’s where he was expected to potty, he waited till he couldn’t hold it anymore, once he used the potty box on ship, I praised him, gave him treats, he had no problems using it afterwards. I’ve tried at home getting him into wading pool filled with same stuff and he just looks at me like I’m crazy🤣 we also took some artificial turf just in case, but didn’t need it.

Plus you just gave me an idea for my guy. He lifts his leg to pee as most boys do, so our first cruise he peed on the wall where the potty box was pushed against. I was given a dry mop to clean it with. I’m thinking of either getting magnets to hold pee pads on wall or an artificial bush or greenery to place in middle of box for him to pee on? We’re also taking the turf, I’d rather have it and not need it, NCL access desk said wood chips in boxes. 

41 minutes ago, Wendsong said:

It doesn't matter what the breed of dog is they should empty their bladder at least every 8-10 hours, more often if they can.  

My suggestion for any type of potty box, when first training your dog, is not to make the dog have to step over a very high rise.   It should be 2-4 inches to begin with.  Once the dog is used to using it than you can try using a container that has a higher lip on it, such as a child's wading pool.  If the mulch hurts to step on or smells bad or moves around too much it will spook your dog and training will be more difficult.  

If you can keep the potty box as easy as possible to step onto, without having to feel like they're climbing into it, the easier it will be for them to learn.  And, the filler should be flat, odorless and easy to get on and off.

I started training my dog on actual sod that I bought at the nursery and placed on an oil drip pan, used for trucks.  Then eventually moved into using wood shavings covered by artificial turf [that I buy on Amazon], in a 2x4 box with a 2 inch lip.

My 95 lb dog uses a potty box on my patio ONLY.  But, he doesn't have other choices in sight.  It's all he has to go potty on.  It makes it so much easier when we travel.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kaik9s said:

my boy does this too, I just made sure he had access to plenty of water, kept taking to the box every so often giving him the opportunity and so he knew that’s where he was expected to potty, he waited till he couldn’t hold it anymore, once he used the potty box on ship, I praised him, gave him treats, he had no problems using it afterwards. I’ve tried at home getting him into wading pool filled with same stuff and he just looks at me like I’m crazy🤣 we also took some artificial turf just in case, but didn’t need it.

Plus you just gave me an idea for my guy. He lifts his leg to pee as most boys do, so our first cruise he peed on the wall where the potty box was pushed against. I was given a dry mop to clean it with. I’m thinking of either getting magnets to hold pee pads on wall or an artificial bush or greenery to place in Imiddle of box for him to pee on? We’re also taking the turf, I’d rather have it and not need it, NCL access desk said wood chips in boxes. 

I don't like to see a dog, especially a Service Dog, lift his leg to pee anywhere, ever!  Most Service Dogs, males and females are trained to squat when they pee.  Squatting guarantees that the dog will not leave any stains or odors behind!!!!  

I wouldn't want to see or smell pee stains on walls, planters, furniture, etc. when I'm traveling in hotels and on cruise ships.   I'm unable to physically wash down walls or other objects after my dog pees, therefore guaranteeing the hotel or ship that my dog will NOT leave any odor or mess behind. 

Now it's more clear for me to see why the cruise ships wouldn't want to place a potty box on our veranda.  Maybe they think that my Service Dog might lift his leg and pee on the walls, windows, glass shields and/or furniture.  It never occurred to me before why they are so insistent on NOT allowing the box to be placed in a more convenient area for me and, honestly, I never thought about the dogs who lift their legs.........Now I know that I MUST tell them that my dog would NEVER lift his leg and damage anything, or leave any urine odor.

It's really a training thing.  ALL DOGS can be trained to squat when they pee.  And, because they're in the public venue should be!

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I don't like to see a dog, especially a Service Dog, lift his leg to pee anywhere, ever!  Most Service Dogs, males and females are trained to squat when they pee.  Squatting guarantees that the dog will not leave any stains or odors behind!!!!  

I wouldn't want to see or smell pee stains on walls, planters, furniture, etc. when I'm traveling in hotels and on cruise ships.   I'm unable to physically wash down walls or other objects after my dog pees, therefore guaranteeing the hotel or ship that my dog will NOT leave any odor or mess behind. 

Now it's more clear for me to see why the cruise ships wouldn't want to place a potty box on our veranda.  Maybe they think that my Service Dog might lift his leg and pee on the walls, windows, glass shields and/or furniture.  It never occurred to me before why they are so insistent on NOT allowing the box to be placed in a more convenient area for me and, honestly, I never thought about the dogs who lift their legs.........Now I know that I MUST tell them that my dog would NEVER lift his leg and damage anything, or leave any urine odor.

It's really a training thing.  ALL DOGS can be trained to squat when they pee.  And, because they're in the public venue should be!

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬I thought this was a “safe place” to share information NOT have my SD attacked for not living up to your standards!🤬 REALLY?! your RUDE response isn’t NECESSARY! 🤬I find this type of predjudice against SD who are trained differently to be offensive and belittling to other teams. MY  SD DOES NOT pee on furniture or windows etc. I am responsible and would  never let him cause damage. He’s well trained on WHERE he’s allowed to PEE. the Potty box was PLACED against a Metal wall on outside deck BY the CRUISE company. I CLEANED it!  He Didn’t damage anything! There are NO RULES or LAWS against a male dog lifting his leg to pee it’s a natural thing! He was PROFESSIONALLY trained to be my SD. 
PS Thanks for triggering my PTSD. 
I’m DONE with this group and thread, I get Enough 💩 from public I DONT NEED IT FROM YOU!!! **** OFF!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

8 hours ago, Kaik9s said:

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬I thought this was a “safe place” to share information NOT have my SD attacked for not living up to your standards!🤬 REALLY?! your RUDE response isn’t NECESSARY! 🤬I find this type of predjudice against SD who are trained differently to be offensive and belittling to other teams. MY  SD DOES NOT pee on furniture or windows etc. I am responsible and would  never let him cause damage. He’s well trained on WHERE he’s allowed to PEE. the Potty box was PLACED against a Metal wall on outside deck BY the CRUISE company. I CLEANED it!  He Didn’t damage anything! There are NO RULES or LAWS against a male dog lifting his leg to pee it’s a natural thing! He was PROFESSIONALLY trained to be my SD. 
PS Thanks for triggering my PTSD. 
I’m DONE with this group and thread, I get Enough 💩 from public I DONT NEED IT FROM YOU!!! **** OFF!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Stop, please!  I'm sincerely sorry if I hurt your feelings.  I, in no way meant to "attack" anyone.  It's really not my style, as is witnessed by writings and interactions with everyone on this thread.

It was probably a less than subtle reaction to a stark realization that I've never had before about dogs lifting their legs and how the public may view this behavior.   Please forgive me for my directness, and if I hurt you, I truly didn't mean to.  I simply have never seen a Service Dog do this behavior and I'm open for education about it.  And, how it's handled.

Please allow me to ask how does someone with mobility issues handle the clean-up process in the public?  And, how do you stop your dog from lifting his leg on decorative pots, walls or trees in public gardens?  Objects that a dog may be subjected to when traveling on board a cruise ship or while in port. I'm open for education, please be open to help.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Scooter lifts his leg about half the time.  It depends on what is around.  If he is allowed to pee near a bush or tree, he will lift his leg.  If I don’t allow him to near a vertical object, he still lifts his right rear leg about an inch off the ground, but then does a half squat and just pees on the flat spot.

Not everyone uses a SD for mobility reasons, so if someone isn’t worried about bending down, I can see that leg lifting would not be an issue.  For others who can’t bend over and extend to clean the floor or a wall, they would be more likely to reinforce the no leg lift training.

Scooter has never lifted his leg against a decorative pot, I would not allow it.  It is a matter of managing the dog.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kaik9s said:

Plus you just gave me an idea for my guy. He lifts his leg to pee as most boys do, so our first cruise he peed on the wall where the potty box was pushed against. I was given a dry mop to clean it with. I’m thinking of either getting magnets to hold pee pads on wall or an artificial bush or greenery to place in middle of box for him to pee on?

How about taking a small fold-up caution cone that you can fit into a plastic ziplock or other type bag?  Teach your dog to urinate on that so he recognizes it when you are traveling.  It's sort of nasty to haul around, but you could just slip it behind the box when you leave (or leave it there if your dog is the only SD onboard).  Then on the last day, rinse it off and stuff it back in its ziplock.  I'm thinking of something that you might find in a road hazard kit - you know, like those that you might pop up behind your car when you have to pull to the side of the road?  I have a girl, so this isn't an issue for me, but for those boys who lift their legs despite being encouraged to squat, this might be a viable solution.

22 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

ALL DOGS can be trained to squat when they pee.  And, because they're in the public venue should be!

Roz, some male dogs will pee on their front legs when they squat - certainly not something that I'd want on my service dog who will be in restaurants, planes, elevators, etc.  I'd rather my male dog pee on upright objects when told, than shower himself in his urine.  My daughter had a Staffy that regularly did this, so she was encouraged to take him to bushes to relive himself.

Your comments are very pointed and opinionated, which is why KaiK9s was so offended.  You have responded to some of my comments this way too, but it doesn't really bother me.  I just figure you are being honest and forthright with your thoughts and that your filter is a bit askew.  If you read back over your response to her, and try to put yourself in her shoes, I hope you can see why she was so upset.  :)  

1 hour ago, Mavis and Me said:

Roz, some male dogs will pee on their front legs when they squat - certainly not something that I'd want on my service dog who will be in restaurants, planes, elevators, etc.  I'd rather my male dog pee on upright objects when told, than shower himself in his urine.  My daughter had a Staffy that regularly did this, so she was encouraged to take him to bushes to relive himself.

Your comments are very pointed and opinionated, which is why KaiK9s was so offended.  You have responded to some of my comments this way too, but it doesn't really bother me.  I just figure you are being honest and forthright with your thoughts and that your filter is a bit askew.  If you read back over your response to her, and try to put yourself in her shoes, I hope you can see why she was so upset.  🙂  

Thanks for being honest with me.  I am direct, sincere and non-withholding of my thoughts and feelings.  I know it can seem that I'm being judgmental and callous.   Please accept my apologies if I offended you in any way.

And, thanks for the information that you offered.

It just so happens I live within a few miles of the crash sight and below the route that the helicopter took.  My neighbors and I heard it as it flew above us trying to avoid the thick fog that blanketed our whole area.  

It's a difficult time for all of us.  So many beautiful lives lost.  May they all rest in peace. 

And, may I say a personal thank you to all of you for being there for each other when we needed someone who understood what it's like to travel and live our lives with these amazing dogs.

Stay well and take good care of each other!

• Like 1

On January 27, 2020 at 3:56 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

Thanks for being honest with me.  I am direct, sincere and non-withholding of my thoughts and feelings.  I know it can seem that I'm being judgmental and callous.   Please accept my apologies if I offended you in any way.

And, thanks for the information that you offered.

Roz, you remind me a bit of my mother-in-law, and I love her to pieces, so no harm done!  :)

On 1/27/2020 at 4:50 AM, wizard-of-roz said:

Stop, please!  I'm sincerely sorry if I hurt your feelings.  I, in no way meant to "attack" anyone.  It's really not my style, as is witnessed by writings and interactions with everyone on this thread.

It was probably a less than subtle reaction to a stark realization that I've never had before about dogs lifting their legs and how the public may view this behavior.   Please forgive me for my directness, and if I hurt you, I truly didn't mean to.  I simply have never seen a Service Dog do this behavior and I'm open for education about it.  And, how it's handled.

Please allow me to ask how does someone with mobility issues handle the clean-up process in the public?  And, how do you stop your dog from lifting his leg on decorative pots, walls or trees in public gardens?  Objects that a dog may be subjected to when traveling on board a cruise ship or while in port. I'm open for education, please be open to help.

Thanks in advance for the information.

I was told, by my trainer, lifting the leg and humping are learned behaviors.  I believe it can be learned and is also instinct for some dogs.  I got lucky.  Halo is a learned behavior kind of dog.  Once he and his buddy started lifting their legs and humping, we got them neutured.  It stopped both behaviors in both dogs.  I know it doesn't always work this way, but we got lucky with our dogs.

Halo will, sometimes, do a little lift and 1/2 squat.  But never when he is traveling.  

Linda and Halo

3 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

I was told, by my trainer, lifting the leg and humping are learned behaviors.  I believe it can be learned and is also instinct for some dogs.  I got lucky.  Halo is a learned behavior kind of dog.  Once he and his buddy started lifting their legs and humping, we got them neutured.  It stopped both behaviors in both dogs.  I know it doesn't always work this way, but we got lucky with our dogs.

Halo will, sometimes, do a little lift and 1/2 squat.  But never when he is traveling.  

Linda and Halo

Linda, thank you so much for this teaching moment.   

Horton has NEVER lifted a leg.  He's a total squatter.  And, is a total non-Alpha dog.  He's a huge boy and just a wonderful love of a dog!

I always feared getting a male because of some of these behaviors.  Until I saw a female dog humping another dog.  I was told by a trainer that, like you mentioned, it is a learned behavior and if not stopped will continue.  And, since CCI neuters their dogs while they are quite young [unless they are to become potential "Breeders"], most of these behaviors do not become natural to the pup.

I will ALWAYS want a male.....I just love having a big boy in my home and will request another male when I go in for Horton's Successor.  I got so lucky getting Horton and want a "clone" of him for my future.  That, of course, is totally up to the Graduate Dept.   

On 1/27/2020 at 11:19 AM, Algebralovr said:

Scooter lifts his leg about half the time.  It depends on what is around.  If he is allowed to pee near a bush or tree, he will lift his leg.  If I don’t allow him to near a vertical object, he still lifts his right rear leg about an inch off the ground, but then does a half squat and just pees on the flat spot.

Not everyone uses a SD for mobility reasons, so if someone isn’t worried about bending down, I can see that leg lifting would not be an issue.  For others who can’t bend over and extend to clean the floor or a wall, they would be more likely to reinforce the no leg lift training.

Scooter has never lifted his leg against a decorative pot, I would not allow it.  It is a matter of managing the dog.  

Barb, if Scooter lifted his leg on something how would you stop him?  Is it just a verbal command or do you have to actually touch him?

41 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Barb, if Scooter lifted his leg on something how would you stop him?  Is it just a verbal command or do you have to actually touch him?

Roz, Scooter telegraphs before lifting his leg.  A leash correction goes a long way to stop him, and I can add a verbal if needed. 

I agree that leg lifting is learned behavior.  He only squatted for the first few months I had him (remember, I did my own puppy-raise), and started wanting to lift his leg about 8-9 months.  I pushed at that point to neuter him - my vet wanted to wait until he was 18 months to develop better bone health.  I insisted, as he was starting to do well with some of the training, but the leg lifting was definitely starting, as was paying attention to females.   He generally doesn't hump, and does that left the one leg by a small amount and half-squat a lot.  Since I live in the country (in town, but a rural area), the small amount of leg lift isn't an issue.  Everyone is so amazed at how he follows direction more than the average dog, I can let that sort of thing slip.

6 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

Roz, Scooter telegraphs before lifting his leg.  A leash correction goes a long way to stop him, and I can add a verbal if needed. 

I agree that leg lifting is learned behavior.  He only squatted for the first few months I had him (remember, I did my own puppy-raise), and started wanting to lift his leg about 8-9 months.  I pushed at that point to neuter him - my vet wanted to wait until he was 18 months to develop better bone health.  I insisted, as he was starting to do well with some of the training, but the leg lifting was definitely starting, as was paying attention to females.   He generally doesn't hump, and does that left the one leg by a small amount and half-squat a lot.  Since I live in the country (in town, but a rural area), the small amount of leg lift isn't an issue.  Everyone is so amazed at how he follows direction more than the average dog, I can let that sort of thing slip.

Thank you!  CCI dogs do very well with leash "corrections".  I hadn't thought of using that technique.  Very helpful!