Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

3 hours ago, rangeley said:

We absolutely loved the Royal Princess. Food was great, ship was beautiful. But the potty box placement was ridiculous. To put the box at the opposite end of the ship through a door that I could barely open was not right. If it's not accessible by the dogs handler, then it needs to be moved somewhere else. I don't get these ships that put in box in an inaccessible spot. The dog is not mine and I shouldn't be responsible for taking him to potty. HAL always puts their box on the promenade deck forward. Even this placement is usually hard for John because of the heavy deck doors and the lip to get over. This last ship had a sliding door midship, so it was accessible for John to take him. 

I'm glad it wasnt one of your favorite cruises. ☹️😭

Actually the first leg of the cruise with you and John was one of my very favorite cruises.   You guys made every experience a fun one and I looked forward to seeing you every day.  I would love to cruise with you again.  I wish we lived closer so we could. 

The second leg was exhausting trying to find a comfortable dinner arrangement for my Granddaughter and me.  I ran into the Dining Room Manager a few times and he seemed like he wanted to have a conversation with me about why I had not returned to the dining room but I kept avoiding him!  Sometimes it's just easier to "let it go!"   

I really disliked the potty box set-up, the mumble/jumble make up of the dining room [lack of space for wheel chairs] and walkers, the miserable seating for handicapped in the theater and the Back to Back portion [after you had left the ship] was the worst B/B I had ever experienced, on board any cruise line.  It honestly, took the wind out of my sails! 

I honestly loved every minute with you......Even our dining room [which was more like a hallway] didn't matter because I loved eating with you, and our servers did the best they could under the cramped quarters we were in.  Poor Horty kept trying to stretch his legs while laying down and it seemed I was constantly pulling a leg, a head or a tail in from getting stepped on!

It really didn't get any better after you had left and the table we were offered for dining was ridiculous and so cramped in a small room off the hallway we were in!  

The Royal lacks a truly memorable dining experience by breaking up the Traditional Dining Room into small adjoining rooms and hallways adjacent to the main dining room.  It just feels badly disjointed and uncomfortable.

I look forward to hopefully cruising with you, John and Oleander again, one day!!!!!! ❤️

31 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Actually the first leg of the cruise with you and John was one of my very favorite cruises.   You guys made every experience a fun one and I looked forward to seeing you every day.  I would love to cruise with you again.  I wish we lived closer so we could. 

The second leg was exhausting trying to find a comfortable dinner arrangement for my Granddaughter and me.  I ran into the Dining Room Manager a few times and he seemed like he wanted to have a conversation with me about why I had not returned to the dining room but I kept avoiding him!  Sometimes it's just easier to "let it go!"   

I really disliked the potty box set-up, the mumble/jumble make up of the dining room [lack of space for wheel chairs] and walkers, the miserable seating for handicapped in the theater and the Back to Back portion [after you had left the ship] was the worst B/B I had ever experienced, on board any cruise line.  It honestly, took the wind out of my sails! 

I honestly loved every minute with you......Even our dining room [which was more like a hallway] didn't matter because I loved eating with you, and our servers did the best they could under the cramped quarters we were in.  Poor Horty kept trying to stretch his legs while laying down and it seemed I was constantly pulling a leg, a head or a tail in from getting stepped on!

It really didn't get any better after you had left and the table we were offered for dining was ridiculous and so cramped in a small room off the hallway we were in!  

The Royal lacks a truly memorable dining experience by breaking up the Traditional Dining Room into small adjoining rooms and hallways adjacent to the main dining room.  It just feels badly disjointed and uncomfortable.

I look forward to hopefully cruising with you, John and Oleander again, one day!!!!!! ❤️

I have one pic of the lower dining room. Our table was on the upper dining room. We had a table for 4 against the glass looking down on the lower dining. You can kind of see the upper in the pic. It was perfect for us and the dog. I'm going to request it on the next cruise. 

I loved our cruise together too! It was alot of fun. It was awesome having Oleander and Horty together. They were both perfect. 

IMG_20200105_130752.jpg

Edited by rangeley

47 minutes ago, rangeley said:

I have one pic of the lower dining room. Our table was on the upper dining room. We had a table for 4 against the glass looking down on the lower dining. You can kind of see the upper in the pic. It was perfect for us and the dog. I'm going to request it on the next cruise. 

I loved our cruise together too! It was alot of fun. It was awesome having Oleander and Horty together. They were both perfect. 

IMG_20200105_130752.jpg

Now, that's what I'm talking about......See how everyone feels like their dining experience is like a large wedding party.  That's how you should feel.....not like your divided into smaller rooms and hallways.  Part of the dining experience is feeling like you're part of a large party.  If I want a private experience I'll eat in my cabin!!!!

6 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Now, that's what I'm talking about......See how everyone feels like their dining experience is like a large wedding party.  That's how you should feel.....not like your divided into smaller rooms and hallways.  Part of the dining experience is feeling like you're part of a large party.  If I want a private experience I'll eat in my cabin!!!!

I just asked John if the Royal had a dining room like that. I remember we came in and went left to our handicapped area. Lol   We did have enough room but Horty insisted on trying to stick his big ol paws out in the aisle. Maybe he was trying to escape Oleander!! 

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

I just asked John if the Royal had a dining room like that. I remember we came in and went left to our handicapped area. Lol   We did have enough room but Horty insisted on trying to stick his big ol paws out in the aisle. Maybe he was trying to escape Oleander!! 

The feeling that there was an "aisle" next to us is my point.  There was an aisle or actually a walkway, with  the feeling of people coming and going constantly.  It should never feel that way.  The room should flow easily and special.  Also, there should not be a feeling of being in a "handicapped" area.  It should all feel lovely and like a "celebration!"   There was ALWAYS chairs in the walkway that had to be moved every time we went to our table or when we left.  It felt like a freeway at rush hour!  Very poorly laid out.

I still enjoyed my evenings with you, John, Horty and "O".

I did a thing.  I booked the Paradise for my daughter and I for February 29th.  Yes, 3 weeks from now.  I just felt like I needed a cruise and it is her birthday while on the cruise.  Yes, she is spoiled.  But, she certainly takes good care of me.

I was looking at the 24th.  I met a couple at a super bowl party and they were going to the 29th.  So I decided why not?  Plus, the flights for Riki were about 1/2 a few days later.

Linda and Halo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rpclmc said:

I did a thing.  I booked the Paradise for my daughter and I for February 29th.  Yes, 3 weeks from now.  I just felt like I needed a cruise and it is her birthday while on the cruise.  Yes, she is spoiled.  But, she certainly takes good care of me.

I was looking at the 24th.  I met a couple at a super bowl party and they were going to the 29th.  So I decided why not?  Plus, the flights for Riki were about 1/2 a few days later.

Linda and Halo

Congratulations!  I love spending time with loved one's onboard a cruise ship!

On 2/3/2020 at 5:29 PM, rangeley said:

Anyone been to the ABC islands with their dogs? 

Sorry to be slow in answering - we’ve had nonstop house guests for past couple of weeks.

Yes, our November cruise on Celebrity Silhouette from Ft. Lauderdale was four sea days (two in each direction) plus the ABCs. 
My vet filled out the 7001 plus special forms for Aruba & Curacao which I sent to our regional APHIS service center in Gainesville, FL for endorsement. Didn’t do any thing for Bonaire, no problem. After they came back countersigned, I scanned the Aruba form and emailed to the Aruba Veterinary Office for their approval. They returned it with their signature & stamp very quickly.

We were with friends and did a little walking around Aruba with them to a waterfront bar, which was very dog friendly. They gave us a table in a more private area right on the water, and brought a bowl of water for her. Same scenario in Curacao. In Bonaire, Bob didn’t feel like going ashore so I went walking alone, curious to see how the island had changed since I spent a couple of weeks there on business 14 years ago (a LOT with the new, big cruise port area developed south of the old downtown where ships used to dock).

I like the Dutch islands even though I didn’t do much while we were in port this time.

Ok, on my phone going to attempt to post a picture of my baby boy! These are the eyes I get to stare into.  Love my boy!  The second picture is the finished front yard.  Baby boy had to go to the kennel while the yard was being worked on.  He is coming home today.  Can’t wait. 

DFA9984E-0DA7-411F-ABE7-366B0A5F8F0D.jpeg

2CA9CE89-4DA6-4D86-B4E1-0CCA687E2A56.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Ok, on my phone going to attempt to post a picture of my baby boy! These are the eyes I get to stare into.  Love my boy!  The second picture is the finished front yard.  Baby boy had to go to the kennel while the yard was being worked on.  He is coming home today.  Can’t wait. 

He is such a handsome dog.  You must have so much fun with him.

I love your front yard.  It's so perfect and looks like it's going to be so easy to maintain.  Have fun!

On 2/7/2020 at 10:30 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

Sorry to be slow in answering - we’ve had nonstop house guests for past couple of weeks.

Yes, our November cruise on Celebrity Silhouette from Ft. Lauderdale was four sea days (two in each direction) plus the ABCs. 
My vet filled out the 7001 plus special forms for Aruba & Curacao which I sent to our regional APHIS service center in Gainesville, FL for endorsement. Didn’t do any thing for Bonaire, no problem. After they came back countersigned, I scanned the Aruba form and emailed to the Aruba Veterinary Office for their approval. They returned it with their signature & stamp very quickly.

We were with friends and did a little walking around Aruba with them to a waterfront bar, which was very dog friendly. They gave us a table in a more private area right on the water, and brought a bowl of water for her. Same scenario in Curacao. In Bonaire, Bob didn’t feel like going ashore so I went walking alone, curious to see how the island had changed since I spent a couple of weeks there on business 14 years ago (a LOT with the new, big cruise port area developed south of the old downtown where ships used to dock).

I like the Dutch islands even though I didn’t do much while we were in port this time.

Thanks so much for all the info!! This is really helpful. 

On 2/8/2020 at 3:20 PM, S.S. Cruisers said:

Omg those eyes!! Love that face. And the yard looks great. 

Edited by rangeley

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

Its official, we are going to be grandparents!!! 

Screenshot_20200209-214706~2.png

Congratulations to all of you  ❤️ Life is going to be richer, fuller and filled with so much joy.  Please give your children my very best wishes for a healthy, happy precious gift.  

On 2/8/2020 at 3:20 PM, S.S. Cruisers said:

Nancy, Rocky is such a handsome little guy! The new yard looks terrific. I love those pavers. Enjoy!