NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

How is that an answer to what I said?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

I will clarify.

You asked....Isn't 30,000 points worth $300.00?

Yes it can be if you want. If you want to get a statement credit then you can go online and redeem your 30,000 points for $300

If you want OBC, then no. You could redeem 25,000 points for a $250 obc since it comes in $100, $250, $500 increments

Where the 30,000 is not worth $300 is if you use them to get an upgrade from an inside to an ocean view or ocean view to balcony. (Meta upgrades)

That value is determined by the cost of the cruise accommodations themselves.

In my case, 30,000 points is/was worth $6000. That was the difference between an ocean view cost and a balcony cost for a 40 night cruise.

I booked an ocean view and then upgraded to a balcony using my points.

I just called and was denied an upgrade at all. They said the pricing was too high to do a cross meta but to keep trying. Has anyone else ever gotten a message like this?

Is there a sweet spot of how long before the cruise is usually best to call? Last time I called right when I booked (which was right when the itinerary was released) and had no issues.

I just called and was denied an upgrade at all. They said the pricing was too high to do a cross meta but to keep trying. Has anyone else ever gotten a message like this?

Is there a sweet spot of how long before the cruise is usually best to call? Last time I called right when I booked (which was right when the itinerary was released) and had no issues.

You called the number on your NCL credit card page?

If not, you need to go to Bank of America.com go to rewards, and look for the upgrade and then call that phone number with the item number (the meta upgrade)

There are no restrictions or black out dates. As long as there are cabins you are good.

Steve

I called this number:

To redeem your WorldPoints points for Norwegian products, please call:

1-866-954-4077

From this page:

https://www.ncl.com/world-points

I haven't been able to find the item # and phone number on the BoA page for awhile. :(

Here is the info for you.....

To Redeem for this item please call the number below.

Call: (866)954-4077

Item: WPUPGR1

Planning a 7 day Alaska cruise 2 adults and 2 children in summer 2017.

I have a few questions.

1. I have 45,000 points , if I use 30,000 for an up grade will I be able to use the 15,000 or part of it lower the cruise fare.

2. When would I need to redeem the points? Could I wait until just before sailing.

3. The up grade is for the cabin right, no matter how many people are in there.

4. Any through on the best use for my points, inside to ocean - ocean to balcony or just to reduce the cruise fare.

Thanks

Planning a 7 day Alaska cruise 2 adults and 2 children in summer 2017.

I have a few questions.

1. I have 45,000 points , if I use 30,000 for an up grade will I be able to use the 15,000 or part of it lower the cruise fare.

2. When would I need to redeem the points? Could I wait until just before sailing.

3. The up grade is for the cabin right, no matter how many people are in there.

4. Any through on the best use for my points, inside to ocean - ocean to balcony or just to reduce the cruise fare.

Thanks

1. Yes and sort of.

Yes get an upgrade. you can redeem 10,000 for $100 obc. You need increments of 10,000 or 25000 or 50000 for OBC. What I would do is use the 15,000 for a $150 statement credit on your credit card bill.

2. Don't wait to redeem the upgrade. OBC or statement credit can be done within a month.

The problem with waiting to upgrade is availability and applicability. You need a certain minimum cabin to get a certian minimum in the upgrade category.(you cannot use guarantee cabins) If you have lower end inside and want to go to ocean view and there are no lower end ocean views, you need to pay more for a better inside category to get the better ocean view that is available. (same applies from ocean view to balcony)

3.yes upgrade is for cabin.

4. Do the math. Price all 3 and see which has the best spread. Keep in mind you have to have a spread of $300 or more or its not worth it. If its not worth it, get a $450 statement credit.

Oceran view to Balcony is usually the best value

Steve

No.

When you do the meta or double-meta upgrades, you have to first look at what is available on YOUR cruise of choice, then price out the difference.

It's not easy, but you may find some really good deals.

How is that an answer to what I said?

You are correct. For you, just keep it simple and, take the $300.

I hate for you to be befuddled.

...and I really don't care that you sent your message from your SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Edited by $hip$hape

You are correct. For you, just keep it simple and, take the $300.

I hate for you to be befuddled.

...and I really don't care that you sent your message from your SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Now there's your real character coming out. No one "befuddled" here. You used my question and did not answer what I said. If you don't have an answer to what is asked, don't answer. If you weren't answering me then say so. That's all.

Thanks - that's the same number I called. Grrrrr

You might want to consider doing what we did when we used our points for a double cross meta. We were a few points shy of the 60k points and we knew we only wanted a particular balcony cabin on Sun (one of the two best BDs in the fleet) So we used a cruise reward to book it and then a month later, I called and after about an hour of helping familiarize the CSA with the 2xMU, she repriced our balcony room to the price of the acceptable inside cabin. Like a PP said, the longer the cruise the better the deal. For us it saved us over $2000 on our 19 day trip from Tampa to Vancouver.

Success!! I called today and got my OC-> BC upgrade with NO problems. I mentioned what happened on Friday and she looked and said I was not transferred to a World Points agent... so I have no idea what was going on. I suspect there was some phone issues - as I was hung up on 3 times. Woohoo I saved $1600! :)

Success!! I called today and got my OC-> BC upgrade with NO problems. I mentioned what happened on Friday and she looked and said I was not transferred to a World Points agent... so I have no idea what was going on. I suspect there was some phone issues - as I was hung up on 3 times. Woohoo I saved $1600! :)

Good for you!

As I said before, it's not easy, but one should be able to find something better than point-for-dollar-point OBC, if you do a little investigating.

That's great, so in your case 30,000 points is worth $1600. :)

Steve

Help, Help!

I'm a little confused. I now have 5,000 NCL points on my Bank of America card. That would allow me a $50.00 spending on my next NCL trip. From looking at some of the forum posts today I do not know if this is issued as a credit on my current booking or if it is a gift card? On a forum post of today in a different thread a person said they got their gift card from NCL long after their cruise was over. Can anyone help me figure this out? I was going to redeem the points this morning. Thank you!

I can't respond about the gift cards, but you have two choices if you want your reward to be monetary rather than an upgrade. You can either get an onboard credit or have it as cash. Most argue that it is better to have it as cash and then use your card to pay for onboard expenses so you earn additional points.

Of course as you can see from reading above, most of us regulars believe the best use of the points is for upgrades....but it takes a while to accumulate them.

I can't respond about the gift cards, but you have two choices if you want your reward to be monetary rather than an upgrade. You can either get an onboard credit or have it as cash. Most argue that it is better to have it as cash and then use your card to pay for onboard expenses so you earn additional points.

Of course as you can see from reading above, most of us regulars believe the best use of the points is for upgrades....but it takes a while to accumulate them.

Thank you! You have been very helpful.

Craig

Yeah I just talked with both NCL and BOA and the points at BOA can be issued as a statement credit for half of the OBC value or a cash value in a giftcard. So 5000 points would be worth a $25 giftcard or card credit. But NCL said if the points were used as OBC the minimum had to be 5000 points redeemed for a $50 OBC. So my 4100 points are of no value for OBC till I reach 5000!

1. Yes and sort of.

Yes get an upgrade. you can redeem 10,000 for $100 obc. You need increments of 10,000 or 25000 or 50000 for OBC. What I would do is use the 15,000 for a $150 statement credit on your credit card bill.

2. Don't wait to redeem the upgrade. OBC or statement credit can be done within a month.

The problem with waiting to upgrade is availability and applicability. You need a certain minimum cabin to get a certian minimum in the upgrade category.(you cannot use guarantee cabins) If you have lower end inside and want to go to ocean view and there are no lower end ocean views, you need to pay more for a better inside category to get the better ocean view that is available. (same applies from ocean view to balcony)

3.yes upgrade is for cabin.

4. Do the math. Price all 3 and see which has the best spread. Keep in mind you have to have a spread of $300 or more or its not worth it. If its not worth it, get a $450 statement credit.

Oceran view to Balcony is usually the best value

Steve

From what I read on the rewards program, the balance is not worth 1% until you get to 25,000 points for statement credit redemption. So 15,000 would not yield $150, it would be worth $120 which is .008. It is worth $150 in OBC.

Edited by Native Floridian 26

So a few days ago I called the NCL phone number for points to be redeemed. They moved 5,000 points over and gave me a $50.00 OBC. I don't know where to find that credit when I log into my NCL account. So I called my cruise agent with NCL in Florida and he said yes the credit for the 5000 points is on your account. My question would be is there a way I can view this credit on my account and if so how? Thanks