Doing the document dance-NewYork NewYork, YAY

Chivalrygirl

The documents have arrived by courier for our 18 September cruise New England/Canada. The childhood dream is becoming a reality, this kid is going to get to sail out of NY. How exciting is that. After a year waiting another cruise is coming true, shame it must be Princess this time, sadly the verandah cabins on the Veendam were all sold, so had to settle for 2nd best. Never mind any ship has to be better than NO ship :D

Only six and half weeks to blast off, something to get us through the rotten weather we are getting down-under.

Val :D

Oh Val, I am so happy for you. How many people get to fulfill a childhood dream? I hope that you have a wonderful cruise and that sailing from New York is all that you hoped it would be.

Did Princess include in your documents the new Canadian Government visa requirements? If not, then I have just posted a thread called "Alaska bound" you might want to check out. I got my documents this morning from HAL and they included a card spelling out the new regulations.

Sorry to hear that the weather is miserable downunder. We are just starting what we call "July Fry" (it follows "May Grey and "June Gloom") which means that we are heating up rapidly and will be really hot stuff for the next three months. Roll on October - I am not a fan of the heat or of the sun and like our more moderate temperatures much better.

"Talk" with you soon.

Valerie:)

Hi Valerieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

No they didn't, my documents have come from Carnival Australia. Who let ships sail into cyclonic type weather. The Pacific Star left Auckland Tuesday afternoon, at about the time we lost power all over the north of the country. This is the worst blow I have ever experienced, and they set off into the Pacific to encouter 10 metre waves, now how idiotic is that. I have left Auckland at this time of the year and experienced rough seas, but this would have been terrifying. One does begin to wonder, $$$$$ above all else :confused:

I owe you an email must get round to it.

Valerieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hi Valerieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

No they didn't, my documents have come from Carnival Australia. Who let ships sail into cyclonic type weather. The Pacific Star left Auckland Tuesday afternoon, at about the time we lost power all over the north of the country. This is the worst blow I have ever experienced, and they set off into the Pacific to encouter 10 metre waves, now how idiotic is that. I have left Auckland at this time of the year and experienced rough seas, but this would have been terrifying. One does begin to wonder, $$$$$ above all else :confused:

I owe you an email must get round to it.

Valerieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hey there my dear friend:

Just a few months ago (although now it seems like centuries ago) I was in Darwin during Cyclone Season, and there was a cyclone warning in effect. The day started out great - sunny and warm (unlike Cairns, where it was pouring down for most of the day) but as the day wore on the sky darkened and the rains came down. Okay, we had some heavy rain and wild winds but not anything like a cyclone.

I just don't understand any cruiseline, allowing ships to sail into cyclonic type weather. Apparently they don't understand that cyclones are similar to hurricanes. We are familiar with hurricanes here in the U.S. (at least on the east coast - our waters on the west coast are too cold for hurricanes so we have what we call Pacific Storms, and boy can they get wild).

I had one truly memorable cruise aboard the old ms Noordam. We were headed home from Acapulco to San Diego when we ran into a Pacific Storm just off the coast of Cabo San Lucas - WOW, talk about a wild ride. I kid you not: the ship would rise out of the water and come down with a resounding "clang". Our poor Captain (the recently retired Hans von Biljouw, a real sweetheart of a captain) would come on the PA system and announce "we have a safe ship" and we are all thinking "geeze I hope that you are right". Ed and I were sitting up in the Crow's Nest and enjoying the ride but I must admit that I did have a moment or two when I thought that I might just die - oh but what a way to go;) .

It's hard for me to imagine Auckland without power, etc. It truly is one of my favourite cities in the entire world and I have been there in sunshine and in rain but never in a cyclone situation. I hope that all is well with you and that life is back to normal.

"Talk" with you soon.

Valerie

I laugh when I read that people get upset sailing out of New York. I have had some interesting rides out of Auckland at this time of the year, but nothing as bad as this. 10 metre swells is a bit high for my liking. :D

The NZ Herald is calling it

Dream cruise to Vanuatu turns to 'holiday from hell'

here is the article

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10451304

Dream cruise to Vanuatu turns to 'holiday from hell'

5:00AM Friday July 13, 2007

By Eloise Gibson

Passengers on a Pacific Star cruise were so ill as the ship was battered by storms off Auckland that they have been given free doctors' visits and $100 vouchers.

About 1000 passengers left Auckland on Tuesday for an eight-night cruise and were hit by the atrocious conditions.

People on board reported passengers being sick and damage to the boat by swells of up to 10m.

One passenger said the dream trip to Vanuatu had started like the holiday from hell.

P&O Cruises spokeswoman Sandy Olsen said some of the ship's external windows and doors, as well as its television satellite equipment, were damaged in the storm.

"It would have been an uncomfortable couple of days for the people on board," she said.

"As you can imagine, some people were unwell due to seasickness."

Conditions were so bad the ship has cancelled a planned stopover in Lifou, New Caledonia, and will head straight for Vila to make its scheduled Friday night stopover.

Ms Olsen said passengers would get $100 spending money and P&O would waive doctors' charges for those who needed medical help during the storm.

Cruise chiefs were also offering free wine and soft drinks to passengers at a Captain's Dinner tonight, and giving free room services to those who preferred to stay in their rooms.

The ship is due back in Auckland in the middle of next week.

Val-

Congrats on your document dance. :D

I hope your power is fully restored and that the weather has cleared so you can read the documents repeatedly. Those Maori dancers you hired are hunks btw!!;)

I have no doubt that your upcoming trip will not be anything like the cruise from hell that the Pacific Star sailed into!!;)

Rhode Island here we come to see where the AC used to live ;)

Actually it was won for decades in the waters off Newport, but it lived in New York City. The winning yacht club was New York.

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts for my forthcoming cruise Ruth. Most kind of you.

Silly me, fancy me forgetting that my good friend and sister of one of NZs most famous yachtsmen actually stayed at the NY Yacht Club some years ago and had heaps of fun telling me all about her wonderful adventure at said club. Of course by then we had actually lifted and cup and it was not quite safely secured at the RNZYS. :rolleyes:

Thanks Vic, I am so looking forward to seeing this part of your country. We have decided to bring summer gear, one jumper and one jacket each. Are we likely to meet much of the wet stuff?

We also have 4 nights in Lakewood early Sept, to visit my DH 97 yr old Aunt. A English war bride from a few years back. :D

Have sailed on the Pacific Princess out of Sydney, so I know Princess does not come up to the same standard as HAL, but any ship is better than no ship eh! :D

Val

We also have 4 nights in Lakewood early Sept, to visit my DH 97 yr old Aunt. A English war bride from a few years back. :D

Lakewood as in Ocean County, NJ ?

Yes Vic, we are staying at the Best Western Leisure Inn on 1600 Route, Lakewood, NJ.

Do you know it ?

Val

Actually it was won for decades in the waters off Newport, but it lived in New York City. The winning yacht club was New York.

There actually is a New York Yacht Club in Newport also. My company is having a hugh 50th anniversary party there in October.

Regards,

Arlene

There actually is a New York Yacht Club in Newport also. My company is having a hugh 50th anniversary party there in October.

For some reason (and I have no idea where I got the idea) I thought that was sort of the Newport "annex" of the New York club.

Are they two different New York Yacht Clubs? :confused:

For some reason (and I have no idea where I got the idea) I thought that was sort of the Newport "annex" of the New York club.

Are they two different New York Yacht Clubs? :confused:

Some people on this board tell you not to believe anything on Wikipedia, but I'm of the persuasion that not everything there is wrong. With that in mind, Wikipedia says:

The New York Yacht Club is a private yacht club based in New York City and Newport, Rhode Island. Founded in 1844, it is one of the world's most distinguished and influential yachting institutions. Its members have contributed to the sport of yachting and yacht design. The organization currently has over 3,000 members. Membership in the club is by invitation only. Its officers include a Commodore, vice-commodore, rear-commodore, secretary and treasurer.

Archived