Flying in on the same day as the cruise: Bad idea!

bepsf

For us coming from Las Vegas to FLL we really do not have much of a choice. If you want non- stop it is pretty much a Red Eye which defeats getting a hotel or taking several other flights that will take 9 plus hours to get there via a stop in Chicago, Dallas or Washington DC. Last time we went to FLL for the Westerdam we were far from being refreshed the next day. We left on a 8 AM flight and arrived in FLL at 9PM. then took the over crowded shuttle and was eating at Out Back Steak House at 10:30 at night. I can tell you that we will more than likely take the Red Eye to FLL and risk it on October 2008 when we do the CC Group Cruise. Flights getting out of Las Vegas to the East Coast are terrible.:( Which is another reason we so seldom cruise out of the East Coast. flying to San Diego and Seattle is so very easy.

Roz, I LOVE SouthWest and fly it every chance I can but Las Vegas to FLL on SW does not work at all. The only connection with only one stop leaves at 10 in the morning(No NON Stops) does not get there till 8:40 at night. The earlierst I can get to FLL is 4 PM leaving at 6 in the morning and have 3 stops:eek: I always have 2 or 3 free tickets available because I fly frequently to Phoenix or San Diego on SW and my main credit card is for SW but when it comes to fying to FLL forget it.:(

We completely eliminate the problem by driving to all our departures :D . For west coast departures we leave the day before; for east coast departuers we leave the week before :eek: .

We get a great cruise and get to see our beautiful country at the same time.

For us coming from Las Vegas to FLL we really do not have much of a choice. If you want non- stop it is pretty much a Red Eye which defeats getting a hotel or taking several other flights that will take 9 plus hours to get there via a stop in Chicago, Dallas or Washington DC. Last time we went to FLL for the Westerdam we were far from being refreshed the next day. We left on a 8 AM flight and arrived in FLL at 9PM. then took the over crowded shuttle and was eating at Out Back Steak House at 10:30 at night. I can tell you that we will more than likely take the Red Eye to FLL and risk it on October 2008 when we do the CC Group Cruise. Flights getting out of Las Vegas to the East Coast are terrible.:( Which is another reason we so seldom cruise out of the East Coast. flying to San Diego and Seattle is so very easy.

I think your life would be easier if you would consider flying into MIA, instead of restricting yourself to FLL. It is really not a long way from MIA to Port Everglades.

AA has a daily non-stop leaving LAS @ 6:25 AM, arriving MIA @ 2:05 PM. You could easily get to your hotel in the 3:30 - 4:00 PM timeframe, have a leisurely evening, get over some of the jet lag, and board the ship next day in a relaxed frame of mind (and body).

I hate Red Eyes, too!

We completely eliminate the problem by driving to all our departures :D . For west coast departures we leave the day before; for east coast departuers we leave the week before :eek: .

You must not have a job!

One of the reasons we like the Pacific Rim cruise on HAL in the fall [ we went in 2002 and 2005 -and will in 2008] is that you leave from Seattle and fly home from San Diego. It is a 64 day cruise.

BTW- 2002's cruise ended in LA and the flight home was a nightmare due to longshoreman's strike. Our flight is to/from Denver -so not that long from the WEST coast and we always allow at LEAST one day if not two prior to the cruise.

Our last cruise; the World Cruise 2007, Colorado had horrendous Christmas snows. When more was predicted for that weekend, we ended up spending 6 days in Ft Lauderdale -and that was marvelous. We boarded fully rested and happy!

Anne

Heck, we live in ATL, which has SEVERAL daily flts to MIA and FLL, and we still like to fly down a day early, and stay in a nice hotel, and enjoy the evening. Then we wake up refreshed, and head to the ship with no travel hassles/stress.

AirGorilla --- I have a question and it may just be personal preference. On my previous cruises out of FLL, I have always driven, also leaving the day before. By the time you get to Hartsfield/Jackson 90 minutes to 2 hours early and fly to FLL or MIA, I am halfway there. Difference is, I am on my own schedule. There are many places to stop outside the Miami area that have things to do the night before the cruise, and still get up and get to the ship at a reasonable time (noon or before). From a cost standpoint, for one it is break even, more ride in the car free. If you drive to Hartsfield/Jackson and pay to park, I come out ahead. Personally, I enjoy the drive and have my favorite stops along the way. Also, I am in control. I know what kind of shape my car is in and can handle problems if they occur. I can not do anything about any problems the airlines have.

Rich

I think your life would be easier if you would consider flying into MIA, instead of restricting yourself to FLL. It is really not a long way from MIA to Port Everglades.

AA has a daily non-stop leaving LAS @ 6:25 AM, arriving MIA @ 2:05 PM. You could easily get to your hotel in the 3:30 - 4:00 PM timeframe, have a leisurely evening, get over some of the jet lag, and board the ship next day in a relaxed frame of mind (and body).

I hate Red Eyes, too!

Thanks, I may have to consider that for our Oct. 2008 cruise on the Eurodam or as HAL called it in their email the EDAM;) But in taking a look at it again, we may still take the RED EYE because our cruise leaves on a Saturday and both of our vacations weeks start on the Saturday. Now if the cruise left on Sunday that would be a better option. It would not be easy for us to leave on Friday so the numerous Red Eyes that are available will more than likely be our only choice.

And all this flying hassle is why I am so sad the Noordam is leaving New York.:(

On one of my first cruises we returned to Tampa and a major major snow storm in the northeast. Nothing was leavng Florida except one lone jet blue plane and we weren't on it. While on the boat, we called and got the last hotel room available for the night near the airport and had to wait it out till late the next day for a flight home. While being delayed going home is no big deal, I wonder what happened to all those passengers who were heading down to Tampa and were grounded because the entire system was grounded.

kakalina,

Yes, driving is more under one's own control, but I try to leave enough time in the schedule for a possible breakdown en route. We now mostly rent cars to drive to cruises, so that if they break down, we just could call the company and have them bring another. We didn't used to do that, but of all things, our car broke down between D.C. and Norfolk once -- they are only about 200 miles apart, and we thought we could take a leisurely meander southwards to Tidewater! Luckily, we were going the day before our cruise on Maasdam out of Norfolk, and the car glitched at lunch in Fredericksburg, VA, about a mile from a dealership, so we were able to get a tow to the repair shop and were delayed only a few hours and made it to Norfolk for a fashionably late dinner the night before the cruise. Now, we rent and/or build in time en route if needed.

We drove from the D.C. area to FLL for the b2b on Westerdam this year, spending two nights on the road, which mades for an easy drive (the car didn't develop issues :rolleyes: ), and we will probably do the same again. But, cross-country is a bit more time than we (I) can spend in addition to a cruise, so we compromised on our upcoming cruise out of Seattle, with DW taking Amtrak early, and I flying in a couple of days before sailing. Maybe when I'm fully retired, we can have the luxury of time for driving cross-country unhurriedly.

Dave

Thanks for posting the link to the article, Brian!

We fly in the day before. It is a lot safer that way. I don't think I would ever risk flying the same day. We just got back from the Dominican Republic a week ago and the flights were a total mess. The ONLY flights that stayed the same were the first ones. We left here late due to both weather and mechanical difficulties and spent the night at DFW instead of Miami, so the third flight got us to DR later than we should have arrived. (but hey we were THERE - woo hoo!) On the way back, there were radar problems in Puerto Rico, so we ended up taking 4 flights to get home instead of 3 and spent the night in Tampa. That has been our experience many times, especially with AA. DH travels weekly for business and I travel frequently (more than I'd like) to visit family. It has gotten more and more difficult with more and more delays and flights that can be absolutely packed... Btw, out of our 7 flights r/t to the Dominican Republic, there were mechanical issues either with the airports or the planes themselves on three of them, along with a couple of the worst planes I've ever seen in terms of interior maintenance - broken seats, headrests, arm rests, tray tables. Air travel is not like it was when I was a kid. I loved it then. Dread it now.

On my first cruise to Alaska I got up at 3:30 AM to make a flight to Vancouver for a sailing that day. By the time dinner was to be served I had been up 19 1/2 hours and missed that meal. I slept away the first day, too.

About a year and a half later I flew from Providence to Los Angeles for a Hawaii cruise leaving that day. I then realized that if the luggage had not made it I was in serious sartorial trouble.

It was then and there I decided to go to the port a day early (unless I'm leaving from Boston or NYC---the neighborhood, as it were). I don't care that the cost of a HAL pre-cruise hotel is highway robbery. I'm not taking any chances ever again.

Hmmm ... in 2006 for the time period of our flight to FLL this coming November AA averaged 21% late flights with the average delay being 36 minutes. That's not bad ... the times I've flown to FLL from DFW we've either been on time or delayed just a few minutes. Not bad. SO ... flying the 6 am flight to FLL would get us there at 10 something AM. Perhaps we'll attempt that.

Because you are leaving so early on a Saturday, those are the two things that are working in your favor. Most airlines have a reduced schedule on Saturdays so an airline would have more planes to chose from to do your flight. Leaving out of Dallas on American just works to your advantage. The other thing is that delays build up during the course of the day. Because you are leaving so early takes care of that problem. Since it isn’t that long of a flight, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

We always fly in two days early but we take it one step further with our lugguage. All of our luggage is shipped out several days earlier by Fed Ex or UPS, and it waiting for us at our hotel. We simply board the plane with carry on luggage with the knowledge that we have two days to get to the ship and that our luggage is safely awaiting our arrival. If our flight is diverted or changed we we do not need to worry about the luggage, just ourselves.

Because you are leaving so early on a Saturday, those are the two things that are working in your favor. Most airlines have a reduced schedule on Saturdays so an airline would have more planes to chose from to do your flight. Leaving out of Dallas on American just works to your advantage. The other thing is that delays build up during the course of the day. Because you are leaving so early takes care of that problem. Since it isn’t that long of a flight, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Thanks.

You reflect my thinking.

This is one of the advantages to living midway between both coasts in the midst of "flyover country," with a major Hub-airport in one's backyard and many non-stop flights from which to choose. However ... I don't relish getting to the airport so early for a 6 am flight! OUCH!

AirGorilla --- I have a question and it may just be personal preference. On my previous cruises out of FLL, I have always driven, also leaving the day before. By the time you get to Hartsfield/Jackson 90 minutes to 2 hours early and fly to FLL or MIA, I am halfway there. Difference is, I am on my own schedule. There are many places to stop outside the Miami area that have things to do the night before the cruise, and still get up and get to the ship at a reasonable time (noon or before). From a cost standpoint, for one it is break even, more ride in the car free. If you drive to Hartsfield/Jackson and pay to park, I come out ahead. Personally, I enjoy the drive and have my favorite stops along the way. Also, I am in control. I know what kind of shape my car is in and can handle problems if they occur. I can not do anything about any problems the airlines have.

Rich

Hi Rich --

That is an interesting idea. Thinking it over, it has a lot of merit. The best airfares are usually Tuesday, Wednesday and occasionally Saturday.

Question: When the cruise is over, and you are back in FLL, what happens then? Do you drive back to Athens the same day, or do you have an overnight stay somewhere on the way back? If so, where would you stop on the return drive?

AG

Hi Rich --

That is an interesting idea. Thinking it over, it has a lot of merit. The best airfares are usually Tuesday, Wednesday and occasionally Saturday.

Question: When the cruise is over, and you are back in FLL, what happens then? Do you drive back to Athens the same day, or do you have an overnight stay somewhere on the way back? If so, where would you stop on the return drive?

AG

Since I am usually off the ship by 9am or so, driving straight thru gets me back to Athens NLT 9pm or so without pushing it. I find if I am within a 2 - 4 hours of home it makes little sense to stop at a hotel when I would still get to sleep by my normal bed time by completing the trip.

Rich

Like the poster awhile back, I too, always stay an extra day on arrival. I never feel pressured to leave the ship and it extends my vacation another day.

We usually arrive day before our cruise (never day of) but for our 12/3 cruise we are flying in two days early so we can really enjoy the hotel and get into a complete relaxed/holiday state of mood before we even board the ship.

Only 140-something days to go. Woo! Hoo!

Like the poster awhile back, I too, always stay an extra day on arrival. I never feel pressured to leave the ship and it extends my vacation another day.

We usually arrive day before our cruise (never day of) but for our 12/3 cruise we are flying in two days early so we can really enjoy the hotel and get into a complete relaxed/holiday state of mood before we even board the ship.

Only 140-something days to go. Woo! Hoo!

We are doing just that on return from our Oosterdam cruise. Since Seattle is so far we are going in a couple days early and staying a day after so we dont have to do the mad dash to the airport. We cant wait, less than 50 days, and it will be our first trip to Alaska! :)

Our last 2 cruises we took the homeport bus from Philly to NYC - of course that runs same day. It's only a 2 hour ride. But in February 2006 & again this past January, we were a bit nervous about snowstorms wreaking havoc & causing delays. :eek:

Our previous cruises departed from Florida & we did fly same day - very early from BWI on HAL air (this was before I got smart knew about things like flying in day before & CC :rolleyes: ). We were usually in FLA before noon so have never had any problems. For any future FLA departures, I'm not sure what we'd do - I think it'll depend on the available flights, the day the ship departs, etc.

Now for Edam next year, we'll definately cross the pond early. The cruise departs July 5, so we'll flyover the night of the 2nd or 3rd. :)

Oh, yes ... for any long-range flights -- Europe, Asia, South America -- I always fly on such a schedule that I have at least a full 24 hours between scheduled arrival and embarkation. Usually 2 days, if I can manage it. My flying the day of only applies for cruises on the East or West Coast when/where I don't have time to fly the day before. Often I have time to fly the day before, and do ... and visit friends when I do.

We are doing just that on return from our Oosterdam cruise. Since Seattle is so far we are going in a couple days early and staying a day after so we dont have to do the mad dash to the airport. We cant wait, less than 50 days, and it will be our first trip to Alaska! :)

Seattle is a really lovely city to visit in its own right, so you definitely won't regret this decision. The only thing you might regret is not having even more time there!

Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, let the games begin! I just logged in with NWA to get our boarding passes for tomorrow's flight, and lo and behold, our first flight was cancelled!

The good news: They have us booked on the next flight.

The bad news: It pushes us back two hours, thus we lose 2 hours of ship time!

The good news: We're bumped to first class--both flights.

The bad news: There's four of us, and none of us is sitting together (two kids included.)

The good news: I was able to get through on NWA's 800 customer service number.

The bad news: She couldn't do anything for me.

So, we'll just have to wait and see with this one. We'll definitely be getting to the airport early tomorrow--as in 3 hours--to help our chances of getting on a plane. To Alaska.

Wish us luck! :o

I wish you lots of luck Fritzie, I will say when flying first class I have found pople near by to be very accomidating and I would guess they will gladly switch seats with you so the family can sit next to each other so I really would not worry about that. As long as theat flight leaves on time you should be fine. Is it a non stop or are there connections involved?

I know the feeling of liking to have as much time on the ship as possible once we walk over the ganway the cruise has started:)

Bon Voyage and have a Great Cruise:)

Archived