Help - Galaxy for 10 days or Summit for 7 days

BrightIS

We have booked a 10 day Galaxy cruise out of San Juan in March for my wife and I and our 2 kids. We have a Sky Suite and an inside stateroom.

I am somewhat concerned about the negative comments about Galaxy.

Alternatively, I could book a 7 night out of San Juan on Summit with a similar itinerary (a little shorter) and book a Sky Suite and an Ocean View for the kids for just a little less money.

We are quiet people, we don't like crowds, we like our luxury, we stay in top hotels when we can (we leave for a 3 week land holiday in Hawaii in 2 weeks)

Thoughts?

I cruised Galaxy about 7 years ago...yes a long time ago. Wasn't my favorite but I actually can't remember why.

My opinion is to go for the longer cruise. We have always found that the ship doesn't matter as much as the people we meet.

To this day, our favorite cruise was on the Horizon...an older smaller ship that really didn't have a lot of flash to it. We met fun, good people. That is what made the trip.

So, if you are going to cruise. I would suggest the longer cruise and not worry so much about the ship. Make it a time to relax and stop focusing on all of the amenities you can get.

Cheryl

We did an 11 day on the Galaxy last February and it was great. Look for reviews of the Galaxy from this year, and pay less attention to any from last year or earlier as they have done a lot to improve the condition of the ship. It was great.

I'd take an 11 day on the Galaxy over 7 on the Summit any time! But I'd also take 14 days (back to back ) on the Summit over an 11 day cruise. Longer is better! And both ships are great!

We've had the same dilemma and decided to book the 11 day on the Galaxy. I have been on both ships. I prefer the Summit but I would rather cruise longer. We originally had the 7 day booked but I kept looking at the itinerary on the Galaxy 11 day. It's an awesome itinerary so we switched to the 11 day. I had a balcony booked on the Summit and when we switched, we booked an oceanview on the Galaxy for what we were paying on the Summit. This will be the first time we haven't had a balcony but I'm sure we will still have a great time. Good luck with your decision.

Stay with the Galaxy, with so many port days for either cruise it's less about the ship and more about the islands. Having said that, we cruised the Galaxy in February and they were working hard everyday day while in port to upgrade the interior of the ship. She was great and Galaxy does have some of the best service in the fleet. We did the 10 night cruise and had a great time.

I have sailed the Summit and she is my favorite ship. But due to itineray and the number of days in port, I'd take the Galaxy. Oh wait!!! I did.

One more thing to keep in mind. San Juan airport. Flying in/out for the Galaxy will be a lot more pleasant than the Summit. It's a nice airport as long as you don't fly in or out on Saturday or Sunday. If you are there Saturday or Sunday, it's terrible. Even Jimmy Buffet made a comment about it in the song Volcano

We did the 10 day on Galaxy last March in a Sky Suite (1218) and LOVED it. Don't let others turn you away from this ship if they haven't sailed her in a while. We sailed her when she was new and loved it and were a little uneasy about doing it after that length of time. We had a great time. Yes, some areas are worn, to be expected. The crew and entire staff were terrific and so friendly. Didn't care for the CD but that's my opinon. He's gone now.

Take the 11 days over 7, even though we LOVE Summit and will sail her for the 4th time next March. Longer is better, as Larry says, and Larry, I wish we could do another 14 day to Hawaii with you guys and then on to Australia. What a wonderful dream:p

Pat C

I have a similar issue this coming January. I can book a Concierge class on the Galaxy 10 day out of San Juan or the same on the Millenium 7-day out of Ft. Lauderdale. The difference in price is huge--the Galaxy 10 day is about twice as much. That pretty much makes the decision for me, but I sure don't understand it, and I am keeping an eye out for a price drop. I would sure rather take a 10 day, but can't really justify the cost difference.

Anyone have any idea why they would have such a large price difference?

I was on the Galaxy for 11 days and loved it.

I haven't read much negative about Galaxy but what complaints I have heard haven't been deal breakers in my book. A foggy window and some worn carpeting are no big deal in the overall scheme of things. (BTW - I didn't notice these things myself).

The food was great, the staff was excellent and the ports were fantastic. I'd sail her again in a second.

This post has got me thinking I may want to cruise Galaxy again. Been on her twice and both have been my favorite cruises. This itinerary is one of the best in the Caribbean.

Rollie

Have enjoyed Summit twice, but will not take chances on M class ships ---hoping the Pods will be replaced by the time of our next M class trip--With Galaxy that won;t be a concern & it still has a T pool.

WOW - thanks for all the great responses. Sounds like unanimous approval of Galaxy. This really helps.

The problem with all these boards and reviews on the web is that it provides too much information, sometimes causing us to second guess ourselves. We will likely stick with Galaxy.

We've done both ships and we slightly preferred Summit just because it's larger and had more things to do on it.

But with a 3 day differential for the same price? Galaxy, for sure! We loved our February Galaxy cruise.

Archived