Can I carry personal protection spray? I.e Mace / Pepper Spray

AtlantaCouple

We're on the 8/17 Barcelona to Venice Millennium cruise and have some concerns about the pick pocketing posts. Although I can take care of myself, I'm considering carrying a canister of protection spray that you can buy at most sports stores.

Are they legal to carry in Europe? Will I get in trouble if it's used on somebody trying to rip me off?

Any suggestions/comments are most welcome!

Thanks.

Even if it is allowed in Europe, don't forget that you need to take it on the plane and according to the TSA:

Mace/Pepper Spray - One 118 ml or 4 Fl. oz. container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge. For more information visit http://www.faa.gov., click on Passengers, then Preparing to Fly.

We're on the 8/17 Barcelona to Venice Millennium cruise and have some concerns about the pick pocketing posts. Although I can take care of myself, I'm considering carrying a canister of protection spray that you can buy at most sports stores.

Are they legal to carry in Europe? Will I get in trouble if it's used on somebody trying to rip me off?

Thanks.

You might be the target of a pickpocket, but you're pretty unlikely to be assaulted, unless you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. If your pocket is picked, it won't just be you and the thief and no one else for blocks. It will be in a crowd or on a bus, or with something else going on to distract you. If you are walking around with your hand on a can of pepper spray, I think you are probably far more likely to accidentally spray your travelling companion or some innocent bystanders than the thief!

I am pretty sure that pepper spray is illegal here in the UK, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's illegal in the rest of Europe as well.

Lisa

Use a money belt to safely guard your valuables. Go a step further than most and tuck it inside your under garments. If you must carry a wallet that can be lifted, make it a dummy wallet with nothing more than a few dollars and some expired identification, such as an insurance card. That's what I did when I was in Paris five years ago. My pocket was picked within the first hour I was in Paris, and all the thief got was $12 and an expired insurance card. If I'd known I was going to have my pocket picked within the first hour, it would have had even less.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

We're on the 8/17 Barcelona to Venice Millennium cruise and have some concerns about the pick pocketing posts.

I think that if you safeguard your valuables you should be fine. Pickpockets can only get something if it's accessible.

I did not feel threatened during our two days in Barcelona - perhaps I was lucky but I also think that there are a lot of tourists visiting Barcelona who have avoided being pickpocketed because of being alert and being cautious with valuables.

I would be concerned about who I was using the spray on. If the thief has a knife to cut a shoulder strap off, I'd be more concerned about retaliation than losing my valuables.

It is illegal in The Netherlands and as far as I know in many (maybe all ?) european countries.

Remember there are also far more strict rules for weapons.

Which countries are you going to? It's illegal here in the UK.

To be honest i don't think its necessary. If you really are concerned about safety it's probably best to go on an organised tour either through Celebrity or a private one.

I've been to Barcelona three times and its just like any major city; as long as you dont wander off the beaten track, it's not likely you'll be attacked in a public area. Just keep your belongings out of site and be sensible.

I agree with Lisa -- these pickpockets aren't muggers. The mace or pocketknife or whatever you or someone else might carry as a defensive weapon would likely only escalate a situation and lead to violence that would have never happened otherwise.

As others have said: The best offense is a good defense. Men, you can buy a cheap money packet that slips over your neck and hangs in the low chest area under your clothes. Women, carefully choose your handbag based as much on strength and protection as looks. A cute little straw bag that doesn't zip closed is a pickpocket's dream. Also, purse snatchers love bags with long, flimsy straps.

Bobbyleduck has an excellent suggestion, although beware because even an expired insurance card may have personal identification such as your social security number on it. Also, be aware that anyone approaching you with a map may be a potential pick pocket. The map is to cover your purse while busy little hands grab your valuables. It's oh-so-true that you may not even know it's happening until after it's over. An over the shoulder purse that fits snugly under your armpit works nicely. Don't worry. You'll have a great time.

It's also illegal here in Canada.

Wear a neck wallet or a waist wallet hidden under at least one good layer of clothing. Or buy some clothing from Tilly Endurables that has pockets with interior zips or velcro enclosures.

For purses, don't wear a purse unless the strap is worn over the head and the purse is worn directly in front of you. The same goes for backpacks, they need to be on two shoulders and worn in front and not in back.

Thieves on a vespa or a bike can run by with a hook and pull at backpacks or purses that are simply over the shoulder. They won't bother trying if it's hooked over both shoulders or over the neck since they know that you can't let go of it and will simply drag you. They want a quick get-away and a dragging incident will land them in jail.

Also, wearing a backpack on your back means that they can simply open it from behind to remove valuables.

In none of these cases will pepper spray or mace be of any help.

Don't mess with a legal system you know nothing about. In some countries, using a pepper spray or mace is considered as an assault and is a felony. Be smart, don't wear your jewelry off the ship, keep your money in a money belt or one of those flat carry things that you wear around your neck and under your shirt.

There may be stipulation about Mace, but there is nothing in the FAA rules that specifically prohibits a passenger from taking an Abrams Tank.

That is not quite true ANYTHING that can be seen as a weapon is nolonger allowed anywhere near an aircraft.

That is not quite true ANYTHING that can be seen as a weapon is nolonger allowed anywhere near an aircraft.

But you can carryon a screwdriver seven inches or less in length.

Regards

Thanks.

.....seems like a good way to get pulled out of line at an airport security check.....and maybe miss a flight.

......and if you get your pocket picked.....it will be a stealth event.....and you probably won't know who did it.....or if you think you do know......they more than likely will be working with others.....and you could have a real problem if you assault their friend.....;)

There may be stipulation about Mace, but there is nothing in the FAA rules that specifically prohibits a passenger from taking an Abrams Tank.

Would that Abrams Tank be a carry on.....

Sorry but this is a little off topic but check out this report on AOL about what 3oz of liquid can do in an explosion. Sorry for the commerical in the beginning but that is just normal now.

http://video.aol.com/video/small-liquid-deadly-results/1953465

But you can carryon a screwdriver seven inches or less in length.

Regards

I guess it would depend on which Airport you use...... some airports will even take cable ties off you because they could be used as a restraint.....

One other consideration about carrying weapons (mace, etc). Don't assume that the same rules and laws that apply in your home state will apply when traveling overseas. You may be entitled to use that mace at home, but in another country, you could be viewed as the aggressor. Nothing like criminal charges to put a BIG damper on an otherwise lovely cruise. Best not to take a chance and, when traveling, leave the weapons at home.

I've never heard of anyone who was pickpocketed knowing that it happened at the moment it occurred. Usually it is a realization a few seconds or minutes later when the pickpocketer is long gone. I agree with the money belt suggestions. I've been all over the world wearing one around my waist, under a tucked-in shirt and the only problem I've had is when I have to get into it in public to get more money (gave a ticket agent quite a thrill once in Avignon, France).

I received part of my Cunard pre cruise docs yesterday and it seems that peper spray or similar items are NOT allowed on board the ship either.

This is Cunard I know but could apply to Celebrity also.

I carry very little cash and only one credit card if I am ashore in plublic. These are in a cloth wallet, the wallet is zipped closed and then PINNED inside my pants.

If I wear a jacket, the wallet is inside a ZIPPED pcket, and again the pull of the pocket zip is pinned to the lining of the jacket.

You will gather I spend very little in stores ashore.

Archived