Something I just read about Genesis

Interesting about the bowling alley and billiards room. Also the description of the Prominade as being even larger with more shops, etc.

I'm not 100% sold on the Genesis yet but maybe as we find out more and more, I will change my mind. Hubby and I loved Liberty and Freedom. We are booked on Independence, so we might be fans of Genesis. Still I wish RCI would build some updated Radiance class ships. They are so elegant and comfortable.

It is all speculation so far. No one knows for sure if Genesis will have a bowling alley or a billiard room. Only time will tell. But I am looking forward to finding out more definitive information.

Here is an interesting I just read about Genesis

http://www.worldcruise-network.com/projects/genesis

Interesting article, but if you read it carefully you will realize that it was written some time ago, thus the references to the contingent status of the contract for the first Genesis vessel and the option for a second, an option that was exercised months ago.:rolleyes: The physical characteristics of these ships has been public knowledge since the project was first announced and

the rest of the article contains mostly standard speculation about features that are either already present on Radiance, Voyager and/or Freedom ships or a bowling alley which some NCL ships already feature. Nothing really new or innovative that would match the ice rinks and Royal Promenade that were introduced on Voyager and set a new standard for cruise ships, or the Flowrider®, H20 Zone,and cantilevered hot tubs which caused such a buzz when the details about Freedom were first revealed.:( I tend to believe that RCI will announce some new and provocative features when they see fit to reveal more information. Otherwise we will have only a longer and wider Voyage/Freedom ship which doesn't seem to gibe with the Genesis designation.

Much too big for my tastes.

I think any ship that cannot fit through the current locks of the Panama Canal is too big.

This Genesis will be too big for the future locks being planned for the Panama Canal.

These huge ships often cannot dock close to town, but must either anchor, or dock at some distant container port.

I think any ship that cannot fit through the current locks of the Panama Canal is too big.

T

The only thing it will be too big for is to fit through Canal. People who rule out ships based on size baffle me. Until you try it, you won't know. Our first cruise was on the post-panamax Navigator and then we tried a couple of smaller ships (on other lines). I have never felt the presence of all the other passengers more than on a ship of 2,000 where there so so little to do that everyone was lumped by the pool. RCL has paid for a some pretty good ship design and I have faith that they would not sink a billion dollars into a ship if they didn't think they could deliver.

The only thing it will be too big for is to fit through Canal. People who rule out ships based on size baffle me. Until you try it, you won't know. Our first cruise was on the post-panamax Navigator and then we tried a couple of smaller ships (on other lines). I have never felt the presence of all the other passengers more than on a ship of 2,000 where there so so little to do that everyone was lumped by the pool. RCL has paid for a some pretty good ship design and I have faith that they would not sink a billion dollars into a ship if they didn't think they could deliver.

I couldn't agree with you more. It has always been the smaller ships that felt too crowded to me.

This Genesis will be too big for the future locks being planned for the Panama Canal.

These huge ships often cannot dock close to town, but must either anchor, or dock at some distant container port.

I'm not sure whether or not the Genesis ships will fit through the new, larger locks being planned for the Panama Canal (and those larger locks are still several years away), but docking is unlikely to be a problem in most of the ports that these ships are likely to visit. There are already reports about several major ports which are planning to expand their docking facilities to handle these ships. :)

While many would agree with your assessment of any ships too large to fit through the current Panama locks, it is obvious from the success of Voyager and Freedom and similarly sized ships, that there is a very large number of potential cruisers who don't agree. Perhaps, with Genesis, the limit will have been reached or exceeded, but RCI has invested a lot of money into proving you wrong, and so far, at least, their track record has been pretty good.;)

Fitz,

We really should sail together one day. We always seem to have the same ideas.

You should come on Mariner out of L.A. with us. I have a group going and if you book now you get the $200 early booking discount.

You should come on Mariner out of L.A. with us. I have a group going and if you book now you get the $200 early booking discount.

That's a good thought but we're going on Solstice in Feb 09 to try out the new class of ship. One day, though...

Based on the planned expansion of the canal, Genesis class would actually be Panamax.

Thanks for that info, Patrick. I wasn't sure, but it seemed that any planned expansion would take under consideration the ships currently being planned or under construction.:)

For those interested I found this posting with more info I had not heard about previously:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=11219294&postcount=1

One of the additional tidbits is that the inside promenade cabins will have balconies like the outside cabins!

Interesting. People thought that about Freedom before it debuted. They would have to widen the promenade significantly in order th okeep the area from being cluttered.

Interesting. People thought that about Freedom before it debuted. They would have to widen the promenade significantly in order th okeep the area from being cluttered.

Lee - did you catch the CD's news that one of Mariner's stops on the repostioning would be in Capetown, South AFRICA? How's that for a little detour enroute to LA? LOL. I love some of the information (disinformation) that the cruise staff sometimes passes on to guests as "inside information". :)

In regard to the widening, I read the Genesis will be 25 feet wider than the Freedom class ships. This may be one of the reasons why they can do it now.

In regard to the widening, I read the Genesis will be 25 feet wider than the Freedom class ships. This may be one of the reasons why they can do it now.

I can just imagine the liability involved with the possibility of things falling from those balconies onto unsuspecting guests strolling the Royal Promenade. HEADS!!!:)

I can just imagine the liability involved with the possibility of things falling from those balconies onto unsuspecting guests strolling the Royal Promenade. HEADS!!!:)

Probably the same or less than high rise hotels with balconies over public areas. :rolleyes:

Archived