As You Wish Dining - What and How

hammybee

I didn't read this whole thread, just the first and last pages so I apologize if I am repeating what has already been posted.

I just returned from a cruise to Alaska on the Oosterdam. We had As You Wish dining or the open seating. From HAL's material, I thought that you could make a dinner reservation for any time, and also specify how big a table you wanted. That was wrong. Apparently you can only make reservations for certain times. I believe they are 5:15, 5:30, (could have been 5:00 and 5:15), 7:45 and 8:00. Anything in between and you have to just show up. Also, if you show up they will probably seat you with other passengers at your table.

Depending on when you show up, you will probably have to wait. The first night, for example, everyone just showed up at 7:00. They had to give out beepers like Cheesecake Factory. (And the beepers only worked on that ship level.) The wait for us was approx. 20 minutes but many waited longer. We were then seated at a table with two women and I was completely confused. When I called the next morning to make a reservation I was told about the 4 reservation times.

Finally, some people on board were able to make dinner reservations for that day and the following day. Others were told to call every day to make a reservation so it seems it was not consistent. You can make reservations for the Pinnacle Grill on any day and it fills up quickly.

Hope this info helps.

Could someone who travelled on Westedam recently confirm if this is the case as well? I've been reading various reviews/posts and is getting confused to how this works. We were assigned to AYWD which we don't mind as we enjoy the flexibility. However now I'm reading there is only a few time slot for reserving under AYWD and will have to go and wait at other time. Would really appreciate it if someone who has been on Westerdam recently could confirm. Thanks!

Could someone who travelled on Westedam recently confirm if this is the case as well? I've been reading various reviews/posts and is getting confused to how this works. We were assigned to AYWD which we don't mind as we enjoy the flexibility. However now I'm reading there is only a few time slot for reserving under AYWD and will have to go and wait at other time. Would really appreciate it if someone who has been on Westerdam recently could confirm. Thanks!

What Megold7 reported is HAL's open dining room policy. You have to call after 8am to make reservations for that day for the 4 times she reported. Between 5:45 and 7:30 you have to walk up for a table. If you do not mind seating at larger tables with other guests you will get seated almost immediately, however if you want only a table for 2 or 4 you may have to wait longer.

What Megold7 reported is HAL's open dining room policy. You have to call after 8am to make reservations for that day for the 4 times she reported. Between 5:45 and 7:30 you have to walk up for a table. If you do not mind seating at larger tables with other guests you will get seated almost immediately, however if you want only a table for 2 or 4 you may have to wait longer.

Thanks for the clarification. We'll try to see if we could still make reservation during those prime time and if not, we're fine with walking in. Unfortunately we're a group of 4 so hopefully it won't be too bad of a wait.

Thanks for the clarification. We'll try to see if we could still make reservation during those prime time and if not, we're fine with walking in. Unfortunately we're a group of 4 so hopefully it won't be too bad of a wait.

On the Volendam last November, which was sold out, we were a party of 6 and the first 2 nights we walked up at 7pm and the six of us waited no more than 5 minutes for a table of six. In fact the first night they gave us a beeper and before we could walk to the bar for a drink it had gone off. The rest of the nights we called for reservations by 11am for the same table and wait staff for a 7:45pm seating. We showed up for our table between 7:15 and 7:30 every night and got immediately seated to our reserved table. The DR manager told us the tables for the 7:45 reservations were usually ready by 7:15. We all loved the open dinning and the 7:30 time worked great as we were finished in time to see the 9pm shows. The traditional 5:45 and 8:30 pm seating were just not right for our needs on that cruise.

Just got back from Alaska on the Volendam and the "as you wish" worked best between 6:00 p.m. and 6:45 p.m if you just want to walk in. As far as reservations: you can actually dine between 5:30 and 9:00 but at least on the Volendam, reservations can ONLY be made for 5:30, 5:45, 7:45 and 8:00. One evening we had a 8:00 reservation and showed up early and were seated after about a 5 minute wait. I think they might still be ironing out some bugs with the concept but it worked well for us. I heard both good and not so good things about Pinnacle Grill -- we didn't try it. We heard they give the window tables to cabins on upper decks and it appeared to be somewhat true (we were on 6). You have to give your cabin number when you check in.

• 1 month later...

We heard they give the window tables to cabins on upper decks and it appeared to be somewhat true (we were on 6). You have to give your cabin number when you check in.

What a concept- those who pay more/get more.

Those who pay for First Class seating on a flight are the first on/first off and get more space, better service and food and beverage.

Those who pay for a VIP pass at Disney/Universal/6 Flags go to the front of the line.

Those who pay more for theatre seating get better seats.

Cruising is not a democracy.

"Cruising is not a democracy."

Hammybee, I agree that one pays for perks but usually you know the perks you'll be missing or getting.

Of course we were too clueless to realize there was a seating preference on our HAL trip. My only fussing was to be seated with guests who would be served at the same time we were.

We heard they give the window tables to cabins on upper decks and it appeared to be somewhat true (we were on 6). You have to give your cabin number when you check in.

I do not know where you heard this, but last Nov. on the Volendam the first 2 nights with AYWD we walked in to the DR at 7pm and got seated to a table of six in less than 5 minutes right next to one of the aft windows. We were a group of 6 in 3 cabins, 2 outside with a window and 1 inside, all on the lower promenade deck (not one of the upper decks).:p IMO there have been too many unsubstantiated rumors about AYWD in the last 10 months. BTW we didn't like the window tables because it was too hot by the windows so for the rest of the cruise we booked 7:45 reservations and sat at the same much cooler #307 table in the center of the DR. :p Also I do not believe that there is any thing wrong with passengers who pay substantially more for their cabins to have a few more perks like better seating, if there were I might be more inclined to pay more and join them.:p

Count me as another where the experience showed the "window tables are for the higher cabins" thing is total bull. I was a deck BELOW the lower promenade, down on main deck. I had a window table at least twice. My cabin # or location made no difference where I was seated - that did matter was what table they happened to be seating when I showed up. It really made no difference to me anyway - each meal was enjoyed ;-)

Sue/WDW1972

Westerdam 1/11/09

...with AYW dining (or Personal Choice on the "other" line) the best part for me is that a woman can get by with fewer dinner outfits! Since it's unlikely that you'll be seated with the same people on a repeat basis, it's much easier to subject your outfits to repeat appearances!

Granted, you could do this anyway in traditional dining, and nobody would say anything (to your face anwyay :eek: ). But with AYW dining re-wearing your outfits is certainly less conspicuous!

It's not just the hassle of extra baggage now, but the airlines are now making it a costly proposition too.

Can someone tell me how you tip with AYWD? We have done the auto tips in the past...but with this are you to tip nightly or still do the auto tips? We plan to do the Lido a night or two as well as Canaletto and room service. How does all of this work? I know you tip room service, but what about the other venues?

Why do they request your cabin number when you enter the dining room? What does it achieve? It probably slows down the seating process.

HAL does not allow passengers with fixed seating to use the open DR and the control is the cabin number.

Can someone tell me how you tip with AYWD? We have done the auto tips in the past...but with this are you to tip nightly or still do the auto tips? We plan to do the Lido a night or two as well as Canaletto and room service. How does all of this work? I know you tip room service, but what about the other venues?

The auto tips go into a ship wide pool for the DR staff and are distributed after the cruise. On our Volendam cruise we found one table and wait staff we really like and requested them for 7 of the 10 nights and on the last night we all gave them an extra cash tip over and above the auto tips charged.

Why then do they ask for your cabin number for breakfast and lunch? That has nothing to do with open/fixed.

Speculating here---nothing to base this on---

I have to wonder if it has something to do with the allocaton of the service charge.

That's an interesting theory, Ruth. I hadn't thought of that. I tend to eat most of my breakfasts and lunches in the DR, when it's open, so I wouldn't have a problem in the world with more of my tips being allocated in that direction.

Do the DR waiters tend to stay in the DR, and the Lido staff in the Lido?

Roz

We were told when we asked that exact question- It is so they can find you if someone from your group is looking for you. This way they know what table your sitting at.

And if you're sailing alone that makes no sense at all, yet they still ask.

Do the DR waiters tend to stay in the DR, and the Lido staff in the Lido?

Roz, I really can't be too sure on how that works. I definitely remember my dinner steward on the Maasdam in '05 worked the Lido during breakfast and lunch. Other than that I haven't noticed who was where, when. :o

We were told when we asked that exact question- It is so they can find you if someone from your group is looking for you. This way they know what table your sitting at.

That's a load HAL is givnig you.

The real reason, I would bet, is simply that they want to know how best to allocate their manpower. Obviously, if HAL finds that 75% of the passengers are taking their breakfasts in the Lido, they are going to put most of their waitstaff there. If they find that lots of people are dining at the Pinnacle on every cruise, they are gonna make sure to have more Pinnacle waitstaff onboard.

Remember, when HAL adds in one area, it has to cut in another. There are only so many crew beds on a ship, so the amount of staff one can carry is very much limited. I would imagine these questions help HAL to allocate their resources most effectively, and you really can't blame them for wanting to do that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

That's a load HAL is givnig you.

The real reason, I would bet, is simply that they want to know how best to allocate their manpower. Obviously, if HAL finds that 75% of the passengers are taking their breakfasts in the Lido, they are going to put most of their waitstaff there. If they find that lots of people are dining at the Pinnacle on every cruise, they are gonna make sure to have more Pinnacle waitstaff onboard.

Remember, when HAL adds in one area, it has to cut in another. There are only so many crew beds on a ship, so the amount of staff one can carry is very much limited. I would imagine these questions help HAL to allocate their resources most effectively, and you really can't blame them for wanting to do that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

That could be a possible reason but I'm thinking it's more the who pays more gets more situation:D .

Your "auto tips" cover AYWD. You do not (have) to leave any "extra" tips at each meal. You do NOT tip in the Lido at dinner. Tipping is NOT required in Canaletto, but is probably expected by the serving staff; possibly $10 for a dinner for two.

DW & I dined in the Canaletto on a recent HAL cruise & both the service & food were EXCELLENT!!!

HAL does not allow passengers with fixed seating to use the open DR and the control is the cabin number.

However, Hal DOES allow pasengers from AYWD to dine in any "vacated" tables in TRADITIONAL dining!

On our recent Eurodam cruise, DW & I who had (early) traditional dining (at a table for two), made reservations on three evenings at other dining venues. From other nearby tablemates, we were later informed that on all three evenings, our table was "occupied" by a different couple, presumeably from a "wait" list from AYWD!

Okay.... I thought I understood AYWD, but the more I read and become informed the more my original idea seems wrong. So.... Let me just say what I understand and somebody tell me if I'm totally off base!

My girlfriends and I are going on the marvelous Oosterdam in December and are in open dining as I didn't want to go the traditional route. This is/was my grand plan.

-We eat in the Lido for all three meals and show up whenever we like during the time periods they're serving food with no problem.

-We sit wherever we want in the Lido for all meals, including dinner. (My idea about this has changed as I've read more. Do you get a table assignment for dinner in the Lido or does it function just as lunch and bfast?)

-Dinner dress will be business dressy (not casual) for formal nights and that's perfectly acceptable in the Lido. (Help? Is this true?)

-In the event we want to experience the main dining room, we can make reservations. This also hold true for the Pinnacle Grill and I do understand that we may combine with another group at the same table in the main dining room, have to wait depending on the time, walk in basis during peak times, etc..

So there you go! I'm looking to just relax on this trip and hang out at the ports and eat when I feel like it in Lido. I realize we can also order room service, but the group might want to sit down together for a meal or two once in awhile!

Archived