As You Wish Dining - What and How

hammybee

One thing I will not do is request "table for one please"....not on a cruise I won't.
Now that they are going open seating, I'm afraid I'll miss my dining companions.
***however***
My guess is open seating dinner works much like open seating lunch, in that I'll be seated with others and wouldn't be seated by myself even if I wanted to. I've actually enjoyed these open breakfast and lunches....the opportunities to meet different people.
I'm booked for the Maasdam May 2011, so there is time to request assigned seating I decide.

Thoth,

I'm a solo cruiser also. Tried open seating for the first time on my 10-day cruise on the Noordam last November. It worked out better than I thought it would. You're right, it works like open seating at breakfast and lunch in the MDR. The hosts actually seemed to prefer it when I walked up to the podium and gave them my cabin # and told them I preferred to sit with others. I was always seated immediately, regardless of when I went to dinner. I usually went to the DR between 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm.

Roz

[quote name='Roz']Thoth,

I'm a solo cruiser also. Tried open seating for the first time on my 10-day cruise on the Noordam last November. It worked out better than I thought it would. You're right, it works like open seating at breakfast and lunch in the MDR. The hosts actually seemed to prefer it when I walked up to the podium and gave them my cabin # and told them I preferred to sit with others. I was always seated immediately, regardless of when I went to dinner. I usually went to the DR between 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm.

Roz[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the encouragement. I last sailed HAL in 2004 and had assigned seating. The table-mates have been hit or miss.
If one has open seating and request dinner companions, then hopefully it will be all hit.

[quote name='Roz']In open seating, some of my tablemates were hit or miss, but I only had to dine with them once. :D

Roz[/QUOTE]
I suppose that beats having to dine with the same "misses" every evening. Being on the relatively smaller Maasdam, I'll see the "hits" again around the ship.

[quote name='PumpkinPatches']Does AYWD cost extra than if you have fixed seating?[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]AYWD costs extra when you have it in the Pinnacle, or Tamarind restaurant. It doesn't cost extra if you have it in your room, the Lido, Canaletto, or open seating. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='PumpkinPatches']Does AYWD cost extra than if you have fixed seating?[/QUOTE][SIZE="3"]:confused: Fixed seating is part of AYWD. The specialty restaurants (Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind and Canneleto), as with all dining options, are also part of AYWD. [I]Some[/I] of the specialty restaurants do have an additional fee, so yes, AYWD [I]can[/I] cost extra.[/SIZE]

[quote name='PumpkinPatches']Sorry I wasn't specific enough.. does "OPEN" seating cost extra if you choose not to have the fixed (early 5:45 or late 8:15) dinner..[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]No[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Oosterdam:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Fixed dining at 5:45 and 8 PM -- upper level of the dining room -- no extra charge for the food -- if you order sodas or cocktails or bottled water or wine or champagnes -- you pay for these.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Open Seating if from 5:15 - 9 PM -- lower level of the dining room. Same as above -- also same menu.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Lido -- breakfast, lunch and dinner -- again free -- same for drinks. For dinner the menu is almost the same as the main dining room.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Pinnacle - $20 per person -- also pay for any drinks you buy.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Canaletto -- located in the Lido -- free -- all Italian food -- pay for your drinks.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Room Service -- nice long selection for breakfast -- there is also a menu you can order from for snacks, sandwiches, etc. You can order dinner -- the menu will be posted outside the main dining room -- usually around lunch time. You need to order your in-cabin dinner within the first hour of the dining room opening for dinner. All this is free. Most people do tip the servers who bring the food to the cabins.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='PumpkinPatches']Sorry I wasn't specific enough.. does "OPEN" seating cost extra if you choose not to have the fixed (early 5:45 or late 8:15) dinner..[/quote]

The only time you pay extra is when you eat in a specialty restaurant (Pinnacle or Tamarind). All other meals are included in the cruise fare.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]:confused: Did you read the answers Mary Ellen and I provided? Each of us explained all the options, and the costs that go with them. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]No[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Oosterdam:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Fixed dining at 5:45 and 8 PM -- upper level of the dining room -- no extra charge for the food -- if you order sodas or cocktails or bottled water or wine or champagnes -- you pay for these.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Open Seating if from 5:15 - 9 PM -- lower level of the dining room. Same as above -- also same menu.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Lido -- breakfast, lunch and dinner -- again free -- same for drinks. For dinner the menu is almost the same as the main dining room.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Pinnacle - $20 per person -- also pay for any drinks you buy.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Canaletto -- located in the Lido -- free -- all Italian food -- pay for your drinks.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Room Service -- nice long selection for breakfast -- there is also a menu you can order from for snacks, sandwiches, etc. You can order dinner -- the menu will be posted outside the main dining room -- usually around lunch time. You need to order your in-cabin dinner within the first hour of the dining room opening for dinner. All this is free. Most people do tip the servers who bring the food to the cabins.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/quote]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black]As we sail in October on the ship and even though we have cruised a bit HAL :o is brand new to us. Therefore, your THOUGHTFUL post was most appreciated by us NEWBEs...

Best to YOU,

steve [/FONT][/SIZE]

• 2 months later...
We are confirmed for early fixed dining.
If we get back late from a port tour or just want to eat later in the evening, can we use "anytime dining" in the main dining room, or must we use the Lido or room service.

Thanks

[quote name='OldMacGuy']We are confirmed for early fixed dining.
If we get back late from a port tour or just want to eat later in the evening, can we use "anytime dining" in the main dining room, or must we use the Lido or room service.[/QUOTE][SIZE="3"]If you "just want to eat later in the evening", you'll need to eat in the Lido, room service, or have made reservations for a specialty restaurant. You can't switch back and forth between open seating and fixed seating. You can change (usually easier going from fixed to open) once, but you can't change back again. If a tour gets back after your dinner time (and there are VERY few that do), I'd suggest asking about that situation prior to your tour.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Mary Ellen'][SIZE=3]If you "just want to eat later in the evening", you'll need to eat in the Lido, room service, or have made reservations for a specialty restaurant. You can't switch back and forth between open seating and fixed seating. You can change (usually easier going from fixed to open) once, but you can't change back again. If a tour gets back after your dinner time (and there are VERY few that do), I'd suggest asking about that situation prior to your tour.[/SIZE][/quote]

Also, if you're fixed dining and you're not going to make it, it's common to let your tablemates know, so that the table isn't waiting for you only to have you never show up :-)

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Yunque']Do you know the table size available in the Maasdam and can they be requested at reservation?[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]If you wish fixed seating, you can have your TA request a table for 2, 4, 6, or 8 when you book the cruise. Table size is "request" only, and is not guaranteed. If you have a deluxe suite you have priority on table size. Also, if you book a romance package (the exact name of which escapes me), you are guaranteed a table for 2, if that's what you want. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]If you wish open seating, you can request table size when you arrive for dinner, or make a reservation on board for that, or a subsequent, night. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I am relatively new (one previous cruise) to cruising. We just signed up for a Cruise to Alaska on the Oosterdam next year. The travel agent sold me on our cabin because it was in great demand. It is on deck 4 (the promemad deck) in the very last row of staterooms, with the veranda facing the rear of the ship. The views are supposted to be outstanding. It is room # VB4178. I was hoping to find someone that had used that stateroom or its identical sister here. But I can't even figure out how to search this thread for the info. Can you or one of your posters please help?

[quote name='oldbutstillkicking']But I can't even figure out how to search this thread for the info. Can you or one of your posters please help?[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Hoo-boy. That's a tall order, but I'll try to smooth things out for you a little bit. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]First, welcome to Cruise Critic, and to the HAL board. Please, pull up a keyboard, look around, and enjoy. In no time you'll know your way around here. Just takes a while. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Okay, now. You are on the HAL forum---one of many. That's a major place you want to be. It's the place for general discussions of all things HAL. There's also a Roll-Call forum where you can meet others on your cruise, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Next, take a look at the entire list of threads. There's several "stickys", which are threads which do not drop down off the first page. You posted on one about dining choices. Not the best place for your particular question. There is another sticky which does address pictures of various cabins and ships. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Then, below the stickys is the list of threads that are active. As one is posted, and replied to, it bumps to the top (below the stickys). Take a glance and start reading, or posting if you have a question or comment. We can get to how to start your own thread when you get a little more comfortable with the site navigation. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Does that help? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Princess does not send card to your stateroom even if you make a reservation for your Anytime Dining.

I also appreciate Princess approach that is to allow you to choose your table on embarkation day when you line up to talk to the Maitre d.

Our first experience with HAL's As You Wish this past April was not very good. The difference between having reservation versus no reservation was 20 minutes wait versus 30 minutes wait even when you come at after 8 o'clock. I have seen a gentleman dressed in his Tux waiting with his families of 6 finally lost it and yelled at the staff stationed at the entrance about they had been waiting for 35 minutes and still no table... Mind you, this was already 8:30 - you would think the peak dining time has passed. The thing was even more bizarre - there were plenty of EMPTY tables when we were finally led in - tables for 4, tables for 2, tables along the wall... all kind of tables that were NOT occupied yet they were letting folks waiting outside, for what? This scenario repeated itself during the first half of the cruise until we started hitting Port of Calls...

We are going on another Transatlantic in April. I sure hope HAL has figured out a better way to handle the situation.

[quote name='nho9504']Princess does not send card to your stateroom even if you make a reservation for your Anytime Dining.

I also appreciate Princess approach that is to allow you to choose your table on embarkation day when you line up to talk to the Maitre d.

Our first experience with HAL's [B][U][SIZE=3]As You Wish[/SIZE][/U][/B] this past April was not very good. The difference between having reservation versus no reservation was 20 minutes wait versus 30 minutes wait even when you come at after 8 o'clock. I have seen a gentleman dressed in his Tux waiting with his families of 6 finally lost it and yelled at the staff stationed at the entrance about they had been waiting for 35 minutes and still no table... Mind you, this was already 8:30 - you would think the peak dining time has passed. The thing was even more bizarre - there were plenty of EMPTY tables when we were finally led in - tables for 4, tables for 2, tables along the wall... all kind of tables that were NOT occupied yet they were letting folks waiting outside, for what? This scenario repeated itself during the first half of the cruise until we started hitting Port of Calls...

We are going on another Transatlantic in April. I sure hope HAL has figured out a better way to handle the situation.[/quote]

[B][I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]The reference to "As You Wish" (Dining), is actually incorrect and should correctly be referred to as "Open Dining"!;)[/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

Archived