Can I order two entree's or not?

mattR

Have read a few reviews of people being limited to one entree in the dinning room. Whats up with this?? That is one of the main reasons I cruise is to try differant things that I would be to cheap to try at home:) But always get noe that I know I will enjoy:))

You may order a second entree. There won't be any problem. The exception, perhaps, might be if you're in early seating and many folks have ordered that entree and they want to have an adequate reserve for second seating.

matt, in May on the Oosterdam we had absolutely no problem ordering more than one entree. We had lower early seating and several of the nights are table mates and DH ordered more than one entree. Our Dining Room Steward actually had fun serving us our extra entree and encouraged us to try different things.

Recent cruisers have reported that except for the latest seating, the waiters are embarrasingly reporting to guests that they can not order more than one entree. It does seem to be true, unfortunately. I also like to try new things on cruises that I wouldn't at home, because I have always felt there was a back up, if necessary. Guess that won't happen on HAL.:(

We have the very first dining time - 5:45 - so from what we have been reading here - we won't be able to order a second entree. But that doesn't worry us - we have never ordered a second entree just to have more food or to try a lot of different items in one night.

There have only been a couple of occasions when husband ordered something and it hadn't been repared properly - sent it back and ordered something else. Different situation.

We should always remember that one should be very careful with anecdotal evidence. What was true on one, or several, cruises -- or with particular dishes on particular cruises -- may not be true on all ships, all cruises, and with all dishes. In short, there may have been a specific reason why people were told that a second entree' was not allowed. Sometimes it may have been due to specific shortage of a specific item on a specific cruise, or due to an unexpected run on a specific dish during both seatings of the early dinner. Other times it may be because of the ship's hyper-occupancy on that particular sailing -- 400 kids on a summer cruise means a LOT of triple occupancy in a bunch of cabins and, quite possibly, a shortage of some dishes.

In other words ... give it a try. They're not going to toss you overboard if you ask.

Order whatever and as much as you want! We have ordered 2 entrees, and have seen people order as many as 4 different desserts for one meal! Lobster night especially, people order way more than 2 entrees-and the waiters have ALWAYS, cheerfully brought whatever was requested. We don't order more than we will eat but sometimes we want to try more than one thing. Order away and enjoy yourself!

Just returned from Zui this Saturday...

I usually ordered couple of starters... How can you choose between black caviar and escargots. (btw on that particular night I had 2 escargots + caviar ;) ). My DH ordered 3 entrees on couple of occasions but asked not to add side dish (rice or mash potatoes) to the second and third. Never had any problems. :) (except with me ;) )

Welcome back Tatka ! SOunds like you enjoyed !

We had multiiples some nights. I would not want to sail a line that limited food. Its too much what the experience si about- the kids trying something new. There is no waste. I am not a hulking person that eats my way thru the menu- some nights I would have 2 courses, but if on another night i wanted doubles of something I would be annoyed if there was a problem more than once. Sometimes they brought us extras of a course for no apparant reason. I did note that these werent as meticulously plated.

Kids may well eat off the kids menu and there was a problem with this on our cruise as there were so many kids. The station got very backed up to the point were my little ones meal was never ready. After that the head waiter preordered for her the night before so it didnt hold up the table service.

In the restaurant business you tend to know what you will sell based on long history. There is no reason not to make provisions. Its only the 5 millionth week that they have done the Western Caribbean itinerary they know the menus and where the demand is. Although we may just have a week or two they do this 52 weeks a year on 10 ships !

I Surf AND Turf every night so this is bad news if they limit it to one entre.

Usually the portions of meat are well below the national average so it takes two to get full for me. I could do without the extras on there but two meats has been my norm for over 12 years. If they do start to limit I guess I'm back to the Carnival line where they encourge you to order more than one each night.

On the Zuiderdam (August 14th) people at the 8:00 PM sitting were limited to one appetizer and entree. However, at our 8:30 sitting there were no problems in ordering multiples.

On August 21st sailing I had 8:00 sitting...and we didn't have any problems with 2nd/3rd.

Maybe it is just me, but I would find it quite boorish and unmannerly to sit with someone who ordered three or four entree's at one time. Are cruises the only time that these individuals ever "dine" or is it all about getting their monies perceived worth. Trying something new is one thing, but ordering to take a bite and move on down the line shows a lack of consideration and raising.

Maybe it is just me, but I would find it quite boorish and unmannerly to sit with someone who ordered three or four entree's at one time.

Now, now. Don't be so hard on yourself. :(

Why should you feel boorish and unmannerly just because you sat at my table? :D

Archived