Skipping The Dining Experience

basketsuze

DH and I just came back from our 9/1 cruise on the Empress to Bermuda. One evening we had a late shore excursion, and for the first time, ate in the Windjammer for dinner. It was surprisingly good! (Previously, we have ALWAYS eaten in the Dining Room for dinner.)

This got me to thinking, and I suggested to DH that the next cruise, we skip the Dining Room completely. There are a couple of reasons:

1) Eliminating the need to pack additional dining clothes, formalware, etc;.

2) Eliminating the need to stop what we're doing to go change clothes and get ready for dinner

3) It would make self-disembark much easier, as there's less luggage.

4) While I'm as friendly as the next person, you really do have the luck of the draw with dining companions. We've had GREAT ones, but we've also had some pretty awful ones, too!

DH was all for this idea, as he basically does the dress-up-for-the-dining-room gig to make me happy. My question is: How many of you skip the Dining Room completely and just eat in the Windjammer or in port? Has anyone ever had the same idea, tried it, and then regretted not bringing attire for the Dining Room?

Now, please, folks! I don't want to hear the "just wear jeans/shorts/go naked in the dining room" mantra. You do what you want, but we are pretty traditional, and if it says "formal", then that is what we'll wear, or we won't go!

I'm seriously thinking of surprising DH with the 10/28/07 Grandeur Cruise (back to Bermuda) for his birthday next month. The cabin is on hold and I have until Monday to release it or cough up the payment. I'm thinking this might be a good time to give the Windjammer for Dinner idea a try, especially if I have to sneak and pack his suitcase for him. It's only a 5-day cruise, so if I end up feeling like I'm missing out on something, I can get over it by booking another cruise, right?? **smile**

Thoughts??

Suze!

So far we've only done the "no formal clothes" and no dining room for those nights. It makes the whole cruise more relaxing for us. That is our night for "anytime" dining and we look forward to deciding where to eat. On our last cruise we booked Chops for one of the formal nights.

We do dress appropriately for the rest of the nights in the dining room, but even not bringing just the formal clothes allows us to pack much lighter (it's those shoes for DH!), which I prefer.

We haven't skipped entirely, but we are at the point where we skip formal night. I, too, am one that if it says formal, we are formal. Lately, we haven't felt like getting dressed up. I will say that we've cruised with the current menus many times and I wouldn't mind eating in the Windjammer to vary the experience.

(I went to the Stir Fry station on my last Splendour cruise and created my own dinner. It was yummy!)

It's all good if you want to skip it, there've been a couple threads lately that said you should check in with the maitre d' and tell them you aren't going to use the DR, that way if someone did want your place they could use it. As for me, no way am I going to skip the DR. I really enjoy the ambience, and wouldn't miss it. Happy cruising.

I go to the dining room the first night- really because I feel like I "should" but after that I invariably use the Windjammer- because the food and the casual ambience is more to my taste, and when on vacation I really want to take off my watch, have NO schedule and stay in the pool until I look like a prune... then go to eat when I want and if I want to read a book/stare at the ocean and zone out I can.

I always tip the dining room staff in full- I figure the food has been prepared for me- the staff are there to wait on me, I'm just doing my own thing!:D

For us, a big part of the cruise IS the "dining experience"! I really enjoy dressing up. And for me, dinner is more than eating--it's a social occassion! Even when we go out to eat at home, we don't do it for the food, so much, as the dressing up, lingering over a drink, talking to our friends, etc...

I don't like buffets, except in a pinch. I much prefer to be waited on (ok, so I'm "princess"!) and I don't want to have to carry my plate from station to station, look for a clean table, etc..

But, to each his own!

We choose to dine in the Windjammer at least once on every cruise, of course letting our waiter and tablemates know in advance.

Many people would be surprised at the changes in the Windjammer for dinner. There are absolutely no crowds. On many ships, the tables are set with tablecloths and silverware, and the servers will bring you all of your beverages and deserts. Many of the same items from the dining room are available, and you can have as much or as little as you want, at your own pace. One of our favorite things is the Mongolian barbecue where you select your meats, veggies and sauces, and they will stir fry it for you. We often see the captain and the ships officers dining there, and they will often stop by and say hello.

Now, that's a very nice way to spend a relaxing evening!! ;) :D

On our last two cruises, aboard Serenade and Adventure, we had almost every dinner in the Windjammer. Some items will be offered in both the dining room and the Windajmmer. Some items will only be offered in the dining room and some only in the Windjammer.

I much prefer eating dinner in the Windjammer. It is quiet with a very nice atmosphere. There is no one rushing around and you can eat at your leasure without worrying about being there at a certain time or having to be out by a certain time. I found that it made the cruises quite relaxing. We sat in the same area each evening and had the same waiter. He was very attentive to us and would bring us drinks and keep them refilled. And though you do go up to get your own food I rather prefer doing that. Although, I suppose if you asked him to get you some food he probably would. He did want to get our desserts for us but we declined. I like getting my own. He was far more attentive then the service that we had aboard Mariner in her dining room. In fact, it was because of the dining experience aboard Mariner that we decided to try the Windjammer on our next cruise. It was way off the mark compared to all of our previous cruises.

When we cruise next I'm sure we will be using the Windjammer again instead of the dining room.

We will use the dining room on non-formal nights, but skip formal nights. I have enough other dress up occassions in my life, that I don't need to do so on my vacations. We do Windjammer (which particularly on formal nights really kicks up the menu and service a notch or two), we will do alternative dining, or room service -- all good options!

Just back from a A O S 14 night southern caribbean back to back.

Been on many cruises and allways eat in the dining room or speciality restaurant. One night just got in a "can not be bothered mood". We went to The Windjammer. It was great. Maybe not for everyone but we loved it and strongly suggest you give it a go at least once. The menu is basically the same but there are far more selections and so laid back. Live music playing. We were surprised as to how many people now use The Windjammer in the evenings although we should not have been as the dining room was never full albeit the ship was.

Sounds like a good idea to me but I concur with the idea to let the dining room staff know that you won't be using the table. On one cruise our first night we had a free meal in the alternative restaurant, and we went to the dining room first to let the staff know that we weren't going to be eating there that night in case they figured hey, an unused table for two, let's give it away :D

We didn't have a good experience in the dining room on our first cruise last May, so we've decided, 2 nights at Chops, 2 nights in the Windjammer. It's only a 4 nighter, so no biggie. On a longer cruise, we may try the dining room again. I like to play "dress-up" on occasion. How else can I justify to DH spending $300.00 on one dress? :D

We don't eat in the dining room anymore - stopped about 5 cruises ago - we prefer the Windjammer, Chops or Portofino. We definitely like eating where, when and with whom we like!!! I definitely like not having to pack so many clothes and shoes. We go on vacation to relax and that's exactly what we do.

But the food! The fooooooood!

Many, many, of the same items as in the dining room, and the food is very fresh since it is frequently replenished. They will even grill a fresh steak for you. The only thing they don't have is the lobster. We have had the crab cakes, salmon appetizer, most of the soups, and almost all of the same entrees. I once asked for escargot, and they went in back and got it for me :)

There are no lines or masses of people looking for a clean table. It is a very nice dining atmosphere. The fresh linen and silverware on the tables, and the lowered lighting are very nice.

I guess we should keep this as a special secret so that too many others don't hear about it and decide to join our nice, quiet, casual, dining experience.... shhhhh

I would like to go on a cruise and not have to worry about the DR. However, formal dining is all part of the trip for my wife. She speaks as though the fashion police will arrest us* if we go underdressed to formal night.

* if you think the doctor costs a lot... imagine what a night in their brig must cost!

easier, as there's less luggage.

4) While I'm as friendly as the next person, you really do have the luck of the draw with dining companions. We've had GREAT ones, but we've also had some pretty awful ones, too!Thoughts??

Suze!

That might be factor for me doing this too. Come to think of it, on our last trip, the only other people who showed up the first day were a woman and her mother, they never came back, I guess we were the "awful ones :)" I'd still take a small tip to the wait staff though. On our next we will do Chops on one formal night.

• Administrators

I guess we should keep this as a special secret so that too many others don't hear about it and decide to join our nice, quiet, casual, dining experience.... shhhhh

You took the words right out of my mouth, Nan! lol Everyone....shhhhh!

Laura

On our last cruise this past February we had several "firsts".

"First" time we sailed just the 2 of us without a group......"first" time we did not take any formal clothes and "first" time we ate at the buffet all week and WE LOVED IT ALL !!!!

That's the great thing about a cruise, everybody can do what they love to do and have the best vacation ever!!!

Happy Sailing....

Dianne

If I want only to eat with my DW, get up for more rolls and butter etc, I can stay home or go to Hometown Buffet.

Why say this? The OP is obviously happy at the buffet. It would be her version of Freestyle dining and I think it's a great idea that works for HER and her husband.

To the OP, I say GO FOT IT. But like Wraithe said, just stop in and let the Maitre D know on the first day so he can release your table to someone else who may want that seating.

Happy cruising :D

Archived