Reporting and disciplining unethical TA

owl61

You might start by ascertaining to which profesional associations (ex. CLIA,ASTA, etc.) the agent belongs. Write them with specifics (dates, times, $$ amounts, etc.) of your complaint.

I am hoping that before you do any of this, you speak to the agent. If that does not satisfy your concerns, is (s)he a member of an agency? Speak to the owner of the agency.

Can you share a little more info with us? No names or agencies, but what the issue is. Sad to say ethics is a pretty subjective field these days.

I wish you a successful resolution of your conerns.

What is the best trade association or other body to turn to in order to report unethical behavior on part one one's travel agent? What is the best entity in terms of disciplining wrongdoers?

By "behavior" do you mean thief of money or unwanted advances towards you? Without more details everyone of us will have our minds racing in all different directions. Is it something that your local district attorney need to be made aware of?

Can you share a little more info with us? .

I was already booked with the agent ( via the owner) . The cruiseline then reduced prices across the board. Instead of informing me of a price reduction and consulting with me about how I would use it , my agent unilaterally upgraded me. I was curious and asked the agent why this happened. Got no answer. (I actually thought it was because the cruiseline gave "just me" a special comp. The reason I thought this is not relevant. Suffice it to say I had reason to assume that I had received special treatment and was not as insistently curious as I might have otherwise been. In any case, the agent failed to disclose the real reason for the upgrade after I had asked. I don't even think I was required to ask inasmuch as she upgraded me to a cabin that cost more when I could chosen other options, less expensive or more so.

Later I found out about a so-called senior discount newly issued by the cruiseline. When I asked my agent if I qualified ( I am a senior) she said "it had already been applied." That was not true either as the cruiseline later informed me.

The issues are failure to disclose price reduction and subsequently lying about the nature of it when I inquired a second time. I believe that is unethical. Do you?

I was already booked with the agent ( via the owner) . The cruiseline then reduced prices across the board. Instead of informing me of a price reduction and consulting with me about how I would use it , my agent unilaterally upgraded me. I was curious and asked the agent why this happened. Got no answer. (I actually thought it was because the cruiseline gave "just me" a special comp. The reason I thought this is not relevant. Suffice it to say I had reason to assume that I had received special treatment and was not as insistently curious as I might have otherwise been. In any case, the agent failed to disclose the real reason for the upgrade after I had asked. I don't even think I was required to ask inasmuch as she upgraded me to a cabin that cost more when I could chosen other options, less expensive or more so.

Later I found out about a so-called senior discount newly issued by the cruiseline. When I asked my agent if I qualified ( I am a senior) she said "it had already been applied." That was not true either as the cruiseline later informed me.

The issues are failure to disclose price reduction and subsequently lying about the nature of it when I inquired a second time. I believe that is unethical. Do you?

Thank you for letting us know what happen. Speak with her supervisor or owner of the agency and let them know that you are unsatisfied with the way they handled your arrangements. Be nice, but firm, and let them know how you would have liked to be notified first. Give them an example of how you would have handle that situtation had you been in charge. Also let them know that you contact the cruise line and you did not receive the senior discount that your agent told you you received. Hence, another lie. If you still not satisfied with the way the owner reacts to your talk let them know that you are sending a letter to the Better Business Bureau. . I think that this is your best option right now.

And if the agent is the owner tell her that we are contacting the Better Business Bureau about both matters. Not contacting you first about an upgrade and about not telling you the truth about giving or not giving you a senior discount.

GO FOR IT!

The TA actually did not do anything illegal. There was a price drop, rather than cut the commission, the TA upgraded you to a higher category for the same amount of money so it would not impact the commission. I always ask people, do you want to stay in the same category and get a refund for price drop or do you want to keep the same price and go into a higher category cabin. I think you will have a hard time proving your TA was negligent, because of the amount of TA's that routinely use these tactics.

It sounds like the TA assumed you would prefer the upgrade for the same price rather than a discount in your current cabin. How long has this person been your TA? Perhaps they had your best interest in mind if you have any history with them and knew more space or a balcony would be your preference over a few dollars.

Secondly, I do think it is up to the individual as well as the TA to keep an eye out for discounts or price reductions. The TA's job is to do it BEFORE BOOKING so as not to cut into their commission afterwards but up to the cruise pax to find them BEFORE fFINAL PAYMENT.

Talk things over with your TA - it could have been based on assumption or for personal gain but you won't know if you don't ask. If nothing can be resolved talking to your TA, consult with the agency owner or principle or higher until it can be resolved.

Either way, enjoy your cruise.

We booked with a TA after doing all of our research (thanks to cc) for our first cruise. We went with a local TA who had been in business for a long time. We asked her is she would adjust our bill if there was a price reduction. She said that they do not look for reductions but if we saw it on line we could contact her and she would try and get the lowered price. It is not rquired that the TA check for price changes and in fact it is not required that when that happens he/she give that break to you. Once we understood this - we decided to not use a TA for any other cruises. Don't flame me, as I know that there are many great TA's out there, we just didn't find one so decided to go it ourself.

I don't think any of what you wrote is flame worthy.

It serves as a service to TAs that a big part of the reason people use them is to get personal service and avoid hassles. If TAs don't provide this service and I have to look all around for price info, then why should I use a TA in the first place? If the TA doesn't provide added value for me, I'll just do the work myself.

The TA actually did not do anything illegal. There was a price drop, rather than cut the commission, the TA upgraded you to a higher category for the same amount of money so it would not impact the commission. I always ask people, do you want to stay in the same category and get a refund for price drop or do you want to keep the same price and go into a higher category cabin. I think you will have a hard time proving your TA was negligent, because of the amount of TA's that routinely use these tactics.

Let's see if I get your point. Because a lot of TAs routinely use these tactics, that makes it right? LOL ! You make an apology for clearly fraudulent, if not, illegal conduct. In your view, not cutting the commission seems to be the guiding principle. I'm afraid I can't agree with that point of view and I don't think the law does either.

Moreover, why do you assume I didn't pay more money? I did pay a bit more for the upgrade. Yes, I had been discussing a competitor's price on an upgrade so the TA knew I was interested, BUT I never gave her my consent to buy an upgrade even for only the additional $100 I was charged.

Why do you say it is the TA's right to not disclose and offer me a choice of what to do with the price reduction? What if I preferred to just save the money on a lower category cabin? Or maybe buy a higher priced suite for a now attractive price? This TA expressly advised all price reductions would be passed on to customer so the cost savings were my property. And any TA that doesn't pass through the savings is a scoundrel in my opinion. Not sure what the general practice is, but it seems wrong for a TA to pocket my savings unless I expreessly agree in advance.

I am not sure anything illegal was done, although I regard this conduct as clearly fraudulent. If not illegal, it should be. In my opinion BBBs are not effective. They have no discipline power. I am not sure about the trade associations, but my concern is that they do not either. The state's Attorney General's office may have an effective Consumer Fraud unit and that would be my first option. If lived in the state where this agent works I would investigate the possibility of a private claim for violation of such consumer protection statues as exist. Some state have statues specifically dealing with travel agents. In my experience the fierce competition and thin profit margins have precipitated more questionable conduct than ever.

In your TAs advertising or in the window they will have signs sayingwhat associations they belong to. that is who you should contact. First I would givethe owner benefit of doing something for you, but just don't settle. And I would definitely switch TAs.

It may not be illegal but it WAS highly unethical! You see the problem here is the TA was looking out for HERSELF FIRST and the CLIENT SECOND. Where as she should be looking out for her CLIENT FIRST and HERSELF SECOND.

IT IS NO WONDER THAT TA's GET A BAD NAME! I would ask her her CLIA NUMBER - not her agency's CLIA number BUT HER's AND REPORT HER TO CLIA and the cruise line.

I asked my TA, she has her own business, works only for herself, not a boiler room internet Travel Company or a HUGE company like AAA or American Express. She always passes the price cut onto the client, even though it always means a few dollars cut in her commission. I know she does this as she has passed price reductions on to us.

First, let me say that getting a client a better cabin for the price that they originally paid is still looking out for the client first. My clients get a choice but most like the idea of getting something more than they paid for.

"My clients"...exactly what are you saying? That YOU do give your clients a choice when this situation comes up, but its okay not to? Getting something more than they paid for??? So just because the price fortuitously falls, an agent can dictate how the client wants to appropriate the savings? Do you really believe that not informing the client and not offering the client a choice is ethical?

I am amazed how any TA here would seemingly apologize for and minimize this kind of deception. Won't some you just come out and say the agent acted deceptively and wrongfully and she deserves to be sanctioned?

The few TA responses here that downplay this behavior evidence why the TA trade associations are so ineffective to protect the consumer's legitimate rights. The CLIA and ASTA or what ever alphabet soup exists do not want to hassle their members. They all appear to be nothing more than big clubs designed to protect the TAs from the outlandish claims of their customers. The cruise industry is way underregulated and asking trade associations to help bring reform is akin to asking the fox to guard the henhouse. For shame.

I am also a TA and I do give my clients the option of receiving a refund - or upgrading to a better category cabin - at no or little cost -- depending of course on the discount fare. However - 90% of the time -- my clients call me when they notice a lower fare available and I go after it for them. With lots of clients -- looking at everyone's fares - everyday is just not reasonable!

My suggestion to you -- assuming you aren't within penalty periods for your cruise -- is to have your agent (or the owner of the agency) contact the cruise line and see if you can be moved back into your original category of cabin and receive a refund of the extra $100 you were charged -- and the difference in the price of the cabins (the original discounted amount). I'm sure your agent thought she was getting you a great deal -- especially since you had been discussing upgrades with the agent -- and didn't think you would be so upset.

Do I think she acted fradulently? No. Do I think she did anything illegal? No. Do I think she should have contacted you 1st to discuss options - of course. I think in the long run -- bringing state attorneys, etc. into this is just going to be trying for you and bring no results --- tell her to fix your situation and move on --- either to a new TA or booking on your own next time.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise --- in whichever cabin you end up in!!:)

As a former agent, I would say ask them to switch it back. Unfortunately ASTA, CLIA, and even the BBB will do very little for you, they exist by collecting membership fees and they're not going to upset any of there members. Awhile back I read a story about how the local BBB's will almost never do anything to there members, if they're not a member they'll send a stern letter or something but not much else.

I'd welcome a little help with a situation that developed with my TA. I booked a cruise with the TA....she told me that Visa was running a special discount at the time....if I paid in full with a Visa card I'd get X amount discounted. (I had checked the price of the cruise with the cruise line of course beforehand.) So I paid in full in March for a cruise in October. As is normal, I assume, my initial deposit was paid directly to RCI, and the full payment (paid the next day) was paid to the TA. I received my edocuments in due course....everything seemed fine. Then I happened to be on-line checking my credit card activity and saw a charge of $4500 to RCI on September 5th!! I called RCI. They told me this was a partial payment for this cruise. RCI had only two payments on record for me...the initial deposit in March....and this September payment. According to RCI I was now paid up in full. However, I'd already paid the TA in advance back in March for the full price!!! So I contacted the TA. They tell me that the September charge was a "computer error." They are refunding me the $4500, not as a refund from RCI...but from the travel agency. Now, how can the charge be a "computer error" when RCI had no payments on record from me but my deposit and then the September charge? It seems to me that my money...paid in full back in March....went into some kind of escrow account at the TA....and then, when the time rolled around for the final payment to be due....the TA failed to remember that I'd already paid in advance, and charged my credit card. Luckily for me I happened to see the duplicate charge and notified the TA about it. However, their saying it was a "computer error" worries me....and I haven't yet gotten my refund. They said it would take 5-9 days. Its been six days and I haven't gotten it yet. I've contacted my credit card company and they told me the TA has 30 days to issue the refund. So I'll have to wait until then to lodge a dispute claim. But you see my point? Meanwhile, since September 5 I've been out an additional $4500 I did not owe!!!

Most travel agents do not inform their clients of a price drop and to be fair, often promotions are only for new bookings. It certainly appears that this agent was acting in his/her own best interest by preserving his/her commission, instead of advocating your interests.

If it makes you feel better you could make a report to the BBB and trade associations. None of them have disiplinary powers, so it's not going to get you the satisfaction you are looking for. I think your best bet is to work it out with the owner, of the agency. The owner is the only one with authority over the agent and the ability to make things right.

I am also a TA ...

I'm sure your agent thought she was getting you a great deal ...

Do I think she acted fradulently? No.

Thank you TA for your assistance. Unlike you, I cannot be sure what my agent was thinking, but the "great" deal she was getting me was the identical advertised "great" deal available to everyone, not just me. Her efforts had zero to do with any value I was getting. That you think she did not act fraudulently is frightening. Is there no published industry code of conduct that speaks to this issue? If not, there ought to be. This thread demonstrates it is sorely needed.

P.s. Helen,

I'm not surprised the TA kept the prepayment for which you recieved a discount unless they expressly or impliedly agreed to pay your cruiseline as part of the early payment offer. This kind of conduct also strikes me as shady especially if the TA failed to inform you it would keep the prepayment (and the interest it would generate) which it obviously treated as an unsecured loan from you. However, it would not surprise me that many TAs would applaud this tactic as a savvy form of business as usual. Clearly many lack a sense of business ethics more developed than that of some fabled horse traders and rug merchants. They will argue that you received a discount so you should be happy and have nothing to complain about. It will not occur to them that allowing their "clients" to suffer the misimpression that the payment would be paid over to the cruiseline , not pocketed by their agency for use as working capital, might raise some issues of deceptive practices and self dealing. Was the client informed he was taking a risk on the continued financial stability of the TA? I only wonder how much of your prepayment discount was fat built into the price you originally agreed to pay.

With respect to the 2nd $4500 which you have been out since Sept 5, ask your TA to repay you the interest that you must pay on the credit card obligation. Surely the TA should understand that their error, computer or otherwise, which caused your card to be wrongly charged a second time has cost you that interest. Well, it may be giving them the benefit of the doubt to assume that they will surely understand, but even if they don't, they caused you a loss and should reimburse you.

I would want the refund either in a cc refund or OBC. I book the lowest cabin at the lowest cost. That's what I want. I get sea sick so I like inside and low. Plus I'm cheap! I would be upset with the TA assuming what I would prefer so that the commission stays unchanged.

But I agree there is probably nothing pratical to do but explain the situation to the TA and their supervisor. If they want your repeat business, they will give you some kind of compensation like a OBC or bottle of wine, and they will keep a client file on you so it doen't happen again. If they can't do that, then just vote with your feet and dollars.

I understood that the money I pre-paid for the cruise stayed with the TA until RCI's deadline. I didn't have a problem with that. The discount I received made it worthwhile for me. What I object to is their telling me the $4500 charge in September was a "computer error." If it had been so, then RCI would have been overpaid and the TA would have requested RCI refund the $4500 to me. The fact that the TA is returning the money to me themselves....indicates that they "forgot" they had my money and just charged my credit card. And yes, in seeing the charges, RCI sold the cabin to the TA for much less than what I paid the TA. However, I still feel I got a good deal....because what I paid the TA was what RCI was charging on their website. If RCI sells cabins to TAs for less there is nothing I can do about that. However, my feeling I got a good deal is entirely predicated on getting the extra $4500 back!! Still looking...

And yes, in seeing the charges, RCI sold the cabin to the TA for much less than what I paid the TA. However, I still feel I got a good deal....because what I paid the TA was what RCI was charging on their website. If RCI sells cabins to TAs for less there is nothing I can do about that. However, my feeling I got a good deal is entirely predicated on getting the extra $4500 back!! Still looking...

I think you misunderstand how booking with a TA works.

1) most of us DO NOT keep the money until final payment. In fact, most of us DO NOT touch the money whatsoever -- unless you pay by check or cash. Credit charges - for most TAs-- go directly to the cruise line. My clients give me their cc# and I give that directly to the cruiseline -- it never goes thru our agency account at all. The cruiseline then pays a commission on the base price of the cruise (not port charges, taxes, shore excursions, etc.) to the agency by check -- after you sail. If you pay by check or cash - the agency will usually send an office check to the cruise line less the commission amount -- thereby getting their commission before you travel.

2) Royal Caribbean no longer allows agents to charge an amount higher or lower than what RCI is charging -- so, of course the prices on the RCI website and from your TA would be the exact same -- and your TA would make the commission amount. If you booked directly with RCI - the rate would be the same as with the TA -- only RCI would keep the commission amount in their pockets.

3) The exception to charging more or less than is advertised on RCI would be: a) if you are booking into a fundraiser group -- the agency can add an additional amount onto your booking price that is donated to the charity. and b) if you are booking into group space that was blocked when prices were at their lowest - you'll find you get a lower price than may currently be advertised.

It does appear that your TA held the money -- which I do not understand whatsoever - and perhaps their computer had the glitch (not RCI's computer) and their computer "forgot" to indicate that final had been paid when the reminder "popped-up" for your final due date. I do hope that you get your credit soon -- that is a lot of money just floating around.

Happy sailing!:)

Moreover, why do you assume I didn't pay more money? I did pay a bit more for the upgrade. Yes, I had been discussing a competitor's price on an upgrade so the TA knew I was interested, BUT I never gave her my consent to buy an upgrade even for only the additional $100 I was charged.

OBVIOUSLY, you KNEW about the upgrade-you paid EXTRA for it.

When you were billed the additional $100.00, did you not ask for the details or did you just assume in your arrogance that "I actually thought it was because the cruiseline gave "just me" a special comp. The reason I thought this is not relevant. Suffice it to say I had reason to assume that I had received special treatment and was not as insistently curious as I might have otherwise been."

Sounds to me like you thought you were getting special treatment, then you found out the "everyone" got the same price break, and your "specialness" didn't have anything to do with the upgrade. So now it is the TA's fault that you didn't get a "special" price break..

Either cancel the cruise with your current agent and rebook someplace else or take your "specialness" on the cruise.

Sorry if this was harsh, but your arrogance is outrageous.

OBVIOUSLY, you KNEW about the upgrade-you paid EXTRA for it.

When you were billed the additional $100.00, did you not ask for the details or did you just assume in your arrogance that "I actually thought it was because the cruiseline gave "just me" a special comp. The reason I thought this is not relevant. Suffice it to say I had reason to assume that I had received special treatment and was not as insistently curious as I might have otherwise been."

Sounds to me like you thought you were getting special treatment, then you found out the "everyone" got the same price break, and your "specialness" didn't have anything to do with the upgrade. So now it is the TA's fault that you didn't get a "special" price break..

Either cancel the cruise with your current agent and rebook someplace else or take your "specialness" on the cruise.

Sorry if this was harsh, but your arrogance is outrageous.

It sounds not only harsh, but presumptuous because you are judging me without knowing the facts. Are you a TA? In any case because you are ignorant of the facts, let me help you out by filling you in and then you tell me what you think.

You want to know why I was lulled into thinking I may have received a special deal. It all started out was because I was trying to save my agent's commission, shnook that I was.

As of Aug 1, I had the booking with my TA. On Aug 2, I received an email offering directly from RCL for a better deal. I booked it (an upgrade at a slightly higher price) with the expectation that I could transfer the new booking to my TA - a common occurrence when booking directly with the line.

When my TA and I tried to transfer the RCL booking RCL refused to allow it because there was an undisclosed sales agent tied to the email offer. When I learned that in order to get the better deal I would have to cut my original TA out and deal with another I called Customer Service of RCL and ultimately spoke with a supervisor. I complained that RCL had put both me and my agent in an uncomfortable position by virtue of RCL's failure to disclose the restrictions on transferability of the better RCL offer. That same day, PURSUANT TO HER REQUEST I wrote to the RCL supervisor a confirming email detailing me and my TA's predictament and suggesting that RCL should make full disclosure in all their "direct" email offerings. A day later my TA emailed me a new invoice with the upgrade at a price slightly better than the RCL offer. No explanation accompanied this new invoice.

I wrote to both my TA and the RCL supervisor thanking them profusely and inquiring about the upgrade. Neither answered my inquiry. Both stonewalled and allowed me to suffer from the not unreasonable asumption that owing to my suggestion/complaint to the RCL customer service supervisor I was taken care of. Was that unreasonable? Maybe. Was it arrogant? What do you think now?

A couple of weeks later I learned RCL was giving senior discounts on this particular cruise. I wrote my TA and asked if I, a senior, qualified for the discount. She did not respond to my email so I called. She told me that the discount had already been applied to my booking ( price did not change from the earlier invoice) . It did not occur to me at that point in time to ask how that could be. More arrogance on my part?

Two weeks later I saw a competitor's ad for the same category cabin offering a senior discount price of $600 less than my price ( 200 pp + a 200 shipboard credit). Now my curiousity was peaked. I wrote to my TA asking about it. Again, she refused to directly answer my question and simply sent a new invoice for $400 less. I then wrote inquiring about the entire situation. She stonewalled until the time to cancel without penalty elapsed. For 2 or 3 days I could have booked with the competitor and saved $200 ( shipboard credit) , but was still willing to hear an explanation from my TA. I was reluctant to deprive her of her commission.

I wrote her again, and again, and no explanation was forthcoming.

So I wound up paying $200 more than I had to just to remain loyal a second time only to find out I was deceived. Moreover, RCL just told me that a senior discount was only applied to my booking with that recent $400 reduction I brought to my TA's attention.

It may come as no surprise that I am a lawyer, a profession as much maligned as any, but we are trained to make full disclosure to our clients. To put their interests ahead of our own. We have a duty to disclose all facts which affect the client's interests. There is a duty to speak out to prevent the client suffering from any misconceptions. That is my mindset. I am beginning to see that the TA mindset is to maximize profit even if it means failing to inform the client of matters germane to the client's interests.

It sounds not only harsh, but presumptuous because you are judging me without knowing the facts. Are you a TA? In any case because you are ignorant of the facts, let me help you out by filling you in and then you tell me what you think.

You want to know why I was lulled into thinking I may have received a special deal. It all started out was because I was trying to save my agent's commission, shnook that I was.

As of Aug 1, I had the booking with my TA. On Aug 2, I received an email offering directly from RCL for a better deal. I booked it (an upgrade at a slightly higher price) with the expectation that I could transfer the new booking to my TA - a common occurrence when booking directly with the line.

When my TA and I tried to transfer the RCL booking RCL refused to allow it because there was an undisclosed sales agent tied to the email offer. When I learned that in order to get the better deal I would have to cut my original TA out and deal with another I called Customer Service of RCL and ultimately spoke with a supervisor. I complained that RCL had put both me and my agent in an uncomfortable position by virtue of RCL's failure to disclose the restrictions on transferability of the better RCL offer. That same day, PURSUANT TO HER REQUEST I wrote to the RCL supervisor a confirming email detailing me and my TA's predictament and suggesting that RCL should make full disclosure in all their "direct" email offerings. A day later my TA emailed me a new invoice with the upgrade at a price slightly better than the RCL offer. No explanation accompanied this new invoice.

I wrote to both my TA and the RCL supervisor thanking them profusely and inquiring about the upgrade. Neither answered my inquiry. Both stonewalled and allowed me to suffer from the not unreasonable asumption that owing to my suggestion/complaint to the RCL customer service supervisor I was taken care of. Was that unreasonable? Maybe. Was it arrogant? What do you think now?

A couple of weeks later I learned RCL was giving senior discounts on this particular cruise. I wrote my TA and asked if I, a senior, qualified for the discount. She did not respond to my email so I called. She told me that the discount had already been applied to my booking ( price did not change from the earlier invoice) . It did not occur to me at that point in time to ask how that could be. More arrogance on my part?

Two weeks later I saw a competitor's ad for the same category cabin offering a senior discount price of $600 less than my price ( 200 pp + a 200 shipboard credit). Now my curiousity was peaked. I wrote to my TA asking about it. Again, she refused to directly answer my question and simply sent a new invoice for $400 less. I then wrote inquiring about the entire situation. She stonewalled until the time to cancel without penalty elapsed. For 2 or 3 days I could have booked with the competitor and saved $200 ( shipboard credit) , but was still willing to hear an explanation from my TA. I was reluctant to deprive her of her commission.

I wrote her again, and again, and no explanation was forthcoming.

So I wound up paying $200 more than I had to just to remain loyal a second time only to find out I was deceived. Moreover, RCL just told me that a senior discount was only applied to my booking with that recent $400 reduction I brought to my TA's attention.

It may come as no surprise that I am a lawyer, a profession as much maligned as any, but we are trained to make full disclosure to our clients. To put their interests ahead of our own. We have a duty to disclose all facts which affect the client's interests. There is a duty to speak out to prevent the client suffering from any misconceptions. That is my mindset. I am beginning to see that the TA mindset is to maximize profit even if it means failing to inform the client of matters germane to the client's interests.

One thought that I have. I see prices (sometimes) go down on other cruise lines. The way they get around this issue is that the discount (Usually in the form of an OBC) is for "New bookings Only". In fact on HAL, as far as I know you can't get a reduced fare after final payment as they drop prices to try to fill the ships. What one person at HAL told me is that usually the best staterooms are gone and they don't have any airfare to sell. I understand what you are saying about the TA, but still not clear if the price you were trying trying to get (I assume it was) was within the cruiselines guidelines and based on their published rate? It sounds (and odd to me too) that someone within the cruise line was taking a cut on their commission. If that was the case there should have been some type of notice on the mailing for both new bookings only and with x agent.

Also, I reread again, and if I canceled with one TA to move to another and try to save $200 I would pay $150 in cancelation fees ($75pp). I think the more profitable TAs can offer lower cost cabins because they are larger earners with the cruise line and get them for a better price. Someone who is a TA could explain how this works.

And another thing, I assume you purchase insurance? Most of them have language that excludes the pre-existing conditon clause on "first bookings only". It's to stop people from re-booking in order to pick up insurance because they have gotten sick before a cruise and never purchased insurance which they now want.

Archived