All things Monarch of the Seas

Had a great little 4 nighter of which we just got off the ship on Friday. We were able to make Coco Cay and had a wonderful time snorkeling.

Thought it odd to have formal night on the Nassau port day. Many people missed it due to being in town so long. We enjoyed it, however, as Nassau is not a favorite of ours. We only spent a short time off the ship there. Whole cruise is worth it for us just to be able to enjoy Coco Cay.

That cruise enabled me to become a humble Platinum, which came about just in time to take advantage of the balcony discount on my Jewel cruise. The on board booking is also a bonus with that OBC will we enjoy! :D

That does seem like a really odd day to have formal night. I guess they don't do it on the last sea day because people have to pack up. We always enjoy formal night, so now we have to make choices.:o

That does seem like a really odd day to have formal night. I guess they don't do it on the last sea day because people have to pack up. We always enjoy formal night, so now we have to make choices.:o

I asked the head waiter about that, and she told me that all of RCI's ships do the traditional 2nd night at sea for the formal night. (Captain's welcome thing).

The problem was the newly changed itinerary, with the ship going to Nassau the first day now, instead of Coco Cay. Supposedly giving them an extra day (on the 4 nighter) to be able to flip flop the "sea day" with the Coco Cay day in case of rough seas.

Real weird though, as that third day is now basically just floating around all day and night as Coco Cay is closer to PC than Nassau, and they have a lot of time to get there.

They really booked to get to Nassau that first day though. Ship vibrated all night, and I thought I had one of those "magic fingers" mattresses that I had put an all night's supply of quarters in the machine..... :eek: And that was on deck 9! Can't imagine what it was like on decks 2 and 3. Did not sleep much that first night. :(

Hi all!

Couple questions for you experts. :)

I'm considering booking a 3-night cruise on the Monarch in Dec as a surprise birthday present for my DH!

I've been on the Majesty before (in 2006 I believe) and the Mariner in 2008. I was in an oceanview room on the Majesty... how much smaller are inside staterooms on the Monarch as compared to an oceanview room? I didn't mind the size at all of the oceanview room on the Majesty and am wondering how it compares to an inside. Are the staterooms refurbed to have that newer green looking comforter thing (if that makes sense lol). I'm also just wondering how the Monarch compares in general to the Majesty.

Also, is it possible when we check-in to see if there are any open oceanview rooms available and upgrade? Is this usually discounted if so?

I am a planner and so this feels last minute for me lol, but there are some great deals for the first 2 weekends in December, and my DH has some time off work!

Also- will Christmas decorations be up on the ship at that time? Any idea on what the weather is like in Dec (always cruised previously in the summer months)? Seas usually rough?

Any other advice/info?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Hi!!!

We have been on the Monarch many times (as well as the Sovereign, Mariner and Majesty)...It has been a while since I was on the Majesty, but I believe they are very much alike in size and activities.

Of course, the larger ships have more to offer, but the smaller ships have a special charm that we love...besides, who can afford a 7 day cruise often???

I would rather take 3-4 short cruises a yr than one long one per yr!!!

December weather varies...I have seen calm seas with 80 degrees...and I have seen 65 and WINDY!!!! BUT "A BAD DAY ON A CRUISE IS STILL BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK".

Upgrade??? Never have been able to get one in 19 cruises.

I'm sorry, I don't remember when they decorate for Christmas...the decorations are nice, but there is little mention of Christmas or the season (which was sad to me) in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

Have a great cruise!!!

I asked the head waiter about that, and she told me that all of RCI's ships do the traditional 2nd night at sea for the formal night. (Captain's welcome thing).

The problem was the newly changed itinerary, with the ship going to Nassau the first day now, instead of Coco Cay. Supposedly giving them an extra day (on the 4 nighter) to be able to flip flop the "sea day" with the Coco Cay day in case of rough seas.

Real weird though, as that third day is now basically just floating around all day and night as Coco Cay is closer to PC than Nassau, and they have a lot of time to get there.

They really booked to get to Nassau that first day though. Ship vibrated all night, and I thought I had one of those "magic fingers" mattresses that I had put an all night's supply of quarters in the machine..... :eek: And that was on deck 9! Can't imagine what it was like on decks 2 and 3. Did not sleep much that first night. :(

Oooh, I can only hope. Nothing puts me to sleep faster these days. As long as it's not so bad that I fall out of bed.

Oooh, I can only hope. Nothing puts me to sleep faster these days. As long as it's not so bad that I fall out of bed.

Yup, bed was a vibrating, along with strange "creeky" noises all over the cabin. Didn't find myself on the floor, so was lucky there! :p

Then I sure slept really well the next night....better than I had in months. Something about all that sea air I guess! ;)

Just back from the MN...........perfect weather......the bluest seas EVER!! Went with a friend and we got the FRS............so nice to have 2 bedrooms/2baths for friends.......no sharing:p:p

Had a great time........only downside was the reuben sandwich in the WJ on Sat afternoon............GROSS! They used some kind of awful salami instead of corned beef.......it smelled bad and tasted worse:eek:

OK, so let me understand this, now we are going to Nassau first on the 4 day? And this is the formal night also? We are leaving on November 8th and trying to get all the information we can since it is our first cruise on the Monarch AND RCCL.

Also is there a link somewhere I can find out about getting my hair done while on the ship?

Thank you all for the information I have found on this website, it is invaluable!

I asked this on the RCI board but nobody answered.

Does anyone know if the Monarch has smoked salmon and cream cheese on the breakfast buffet? How about from room service?

Yes to the buffet and also in the dining room for breakfast......I really am not sure about room service,since I dont usually order breakfast,but Im pretty sure they will let you order some.....

OK, so let me understand this, now we are going to Nassau first on the 4 day? And this is the formal night also? We are leaving on November 8th and trying to get all the information we can since it is our first cruise on the Monarch AND RCCL.

Also is there a link somewhere I can find out about getting my hair done while on the ship?

Thank you all for the information I have found on this website, it is invaluable!

No link for the salon services,but as soon as you get on,the salon will be open and you can make an appt.....

Yes, as a confirmation of the formal night in Nassau. First night is an overnight to travel there, and then dock about 10:30 am. All day at Nassau and we are docked till 11:59 pm(must be charged more after midnight :rolleyes: ).

If you llike to party at the port till late, you will miss formal night and the captains party.

Especially tough for early seating.

I just checked the website for the 12/13 Monarch sailing and it is still showing Coco Cay as first day, then Nassau, then sea day. Maybe things were changed recently due to the latest storm?? So I have no clue as to when the formal night might be :). I would have thought first day (Coco Cay). Oh well, go with the flow.

Fran

I just checked the website for the 12/13 Monarch sailing and it is still showing Coco Cay as first day, then Nassau, then sea day. Maybe things were changed recently due to the latest storm?? So I have no clue as to when the formal night might be :). I would have thought first day (Coco Cay). Oh well, go with the flow.

Fran

Actually my itinerary showed Nassau, then Coco Cay, and a stop in Miami! :eek: :rolleyes:

They made it clear that they were going to stick with the Nassau first stop now when we were on the ship 10/25. Though if they get too many compaints, that may change again...who knows.

That schedule is messed up for the actual stops on my Jewel cruise too.

Yes,right there at the port............all the way to the right after you go thru the tourism building..............right on the water..cant miss it.

You also can't miss the noise coming from the place when we were up on the deck of the Monarch. Of course at the time we were there, we were docked at the first berth, so it was closer. Great sweeping veiw of the whole town/port area from our spot.

Carnival was the only other cruise ship in port the whole day.

We were on Monarch in late July and Desmond was on vacation. A very nice gentleman named Sylvester was in Viking Crown, and we really enjoyed his service.

Sylvester was in the Schooner Bar every time we went there. Such a nice gentleman. Always called my DH Mr Arthur...

I miss my ship, will be glad to get back onboard in January.

Had a great little 4 nighter of which we just got off the ship on Friday. We were able to make Coco Cay and had a wonderful time snorkeling.

Thought it odd to have formal night on the Nassau port day. Many people missed it due to being in town so long. We enjoyed it, however, as Nassau is not a favorite of ours. We only spent a short time off the ship there. Whole cruise is worth it for us just to be able to enjoy Coco Cay.

Not sure how often intineraries change but wife and I just got off Monarch yesterday after a 4-nighter. We did Coco Cay on Tuesday with formal night that evening. Nassau was Wednesday with dinner attire casual or Caribbean. Hope this helps.

Fran

Ahoy Fran....

In checking the website for Monarch's Dec 13th sailing,

It shows day one as Port Canaveral, and day two in Coco Cay. Formal night is usually day two.

Not sure how often intineraries change but wife and I just got off Monarch yesterday after a 4-nighter. We did Coco Cay on Tuesday with formal night that evening. Nassau was Wednesday with dinner attire casual or Caribbean. Hope this helps.

I was told on the ship that they had to option to change itineraries on the 4 nighter to be able to make Coco Cay on the better weather day. I am guessing they did indeed change that on your cruise due to Hurricane Tomas coming up from the South and needed to do the Coco Cay stop first before the seas got rough. Seas are indeed rough here (in PC)now, but because of the high pressure coming in from the North.

Wonder what the weekender 3 night is going through right now. :eek:

Thought it odd to have formal night on the Nassau port day. Many people missed it due to being in town so long.

That was unusual as the second night is the norm for the 4 night on Monarch. It was the second night on the 1st of November sailing. We also got to Coco Cay and the weather was perfect!

See you in January Island Lady. The Meet and Mingle is a go!

My wife and I just booked our second cruise on the Monarch.(nov.29-dec3) We could not pass up such a great price.(outside $159 ea.) we are looking forward to relaxing and roming around. Plan to go into town and do a little shopping and then relaxing on the beach the next day.

Bob & Raquel-retired and loving it

That was unusual as the second night is the norm for the 4 night on Monarch. It was the second night on the 1st of November sailing. We also got to Coco Cay and the weather was perfect!

See you in January Island Lady. The Meet and Mingle is a go!

And so I have heard! :)

Looking forward also to our Meet and Mingle. I think we are well past the 25 required, and should be a good group!

Hoping for calm seas, and sunny skies.....as we will see you about the ship!

Excited about my first time on the Jewel....just wish I could have scored an aft cabin!

Will be going for that on my 2012 Alaska cruise.

Archived