All things Monarch of the Seas

I was on the Monarch on 12/13 and am going back on 1/10. I keep reading on cruise critic expert reviews that there are safes in the cabins, but I never found one, hunted all thru the closet. Has anyone seen one in an interior cabin, or elsewhere?? I guess I could ask my cabin steward but he was hard to find, so I just locked things in my suitcase. In other classes of ship the safe is usually in the cupboard alongside the vanity, but on Monarch there is only the mirror fronted shelves there. Just curious if I'm missing something :)

Fran

Not all cabins have safes yet,but they are adding them slowly,but surely..

I apologize if this has already been asked, but I haven't had time to go through this entire thread! Can anyone tell me what the typical menu is like for the 4 night cruise? Don't know if we want to bother lugging along the formal attire for a short cruise this Feb., but hate to miss it if the menu is great! Help anyone??

Thanks!

I apologize if this has already been asked, but I haven't had time to go through this entire thread! Can anyone tell me what the typical menu is like for the 4 night cruise? Don't know if we want to bother lugging along the formal attire for a short cruise this Feb., but hate to miss it if the menu is great! Help anyone??

Thanks!

I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to bring the tux. We were flying, so that made it harder. Glad I decided to bring it, made some nice pictures. Most do not wear tuxes on the short cruises. So, slacks and shirt or maybe even jacket works for formal night. The rest, no shorts or tank tops and you are good to go. Can't remember the menu, but the lamb shank on the first night is really good. Say Hi to Sheldon the matre Di for us.

Thanks!

DH and I have always dressed formally for formal nights on our cruises. However, this time we are not. Not going to lug those clothes/shoes along with us when they are charging for checked AND even carry-on bags. DH will be wearing slacks and a dress shirt, I will be wearing black slacks and a dressy top. I know we will be fine, and if someone doesn't like what we're wearing they can turn their heads and not look at us. :)

I was just on Monarch on 12/13 (going back on 1/10). Most of the guys had on jackets with shirt & tie. A few just had a dressy shirt and tie. Only a few young people (20s & 30s) were in polo shirts or less. The women were in dressy dresses, nice pantsuits, or fancy tops with black slacks. I did notice that for the Captains welcome, those not in appropriate attire were routed out of his receiving line, which was the first time I saw that, and thought it was the right thing to do. For those who don't want to dress up, go up to the Windjammer. And I also saw the headwaiter ask one man to take off his ballcap during dinner, shame you have to tell an adult to do that.

The menu for formal night (which is usually the 2nd day, at Coco Cay) was the usual RCL cycle, forget what it was but everyone at my table liked all the food, except one lady didn't like the salmon. There is always the alternate menu available every night - a steak, a chicken, a fish or a pasta dish. Sometimes I make my own meal, order 2 appetizers, a baked potato then dessert:). Hope this helps.

Fran

• 2 weeks later...
We are booked on the monarch 3/14-18 in Royal Suite 1549---any info on this suite? Is there anything special with a suite or just more room? We have a family of 6 so we were limited to our cabin choices.

We were in the Royal Family Suite 1549 just last week, Dec 27-31...It was my family of 5...The layout is a little different from what I remember seeing in diagrams, as I believe it was an afterthought to add this cabin after the ship was already built...a wood floor hallway with bathroom/closet as you enter the room, and then a dining area with table/4 chairs, then to the left is the main sitting area, with sofabed/coffee table, bed, and then a separate door into the 2nd bedroom with 2 beds and pullman bed, and 2nd bathroom...there was a lot of storage everywhere. The second bedroom bathroom seemed actually larger...One problem we had was the poor design of the shower door (or missing part at the bottom) allowed a lot of water into the bathroom, so we ended up putting rolled up towels against the shower door at the bottom and they would be soaked afterwards..

Balcony was less than impressive, due to maintenance equipment stored nearby, but it has a table/2 chairs/ and a lounger. There is a television in each room, and the main one has a dvd player attached. There was a multioutlet attached to allow the dvd player to be plugged in, and we used it for other things also. Small fridge also. Coffee maker is there, but interestingly had the incorrect size coffee pack for the unit. We did get some additional 'treats' in the room a couple of times, included some sushi one time, and also chocolate covered strawberries 2 other times..(one of these was an apology from RCCL for an issue we had with some very loud cruisers yelling and carrying on at 2:30am our first night (I tolerated the very loud laughing/etc for 30 minutes), in which a phone call to complain was seemingly quickly taken care of with security dispatched..)

Suite perks (there is NO concierge on the Monarch) were limited, but there is a special notebook in the room that has a lot of suite information for you...includes all the night's menus, etc. There is a special section reserved for suite guests in the Sound Of Music Theatre for the shows, although, it did not seem to be enforced at all, so sometimes, people simply ignored the obvious sign and sat there anyway...Beach towels were already in the room, and 2 bathrobes/slippers were available. Our room attendant was Raj...very friendly, and kept the room comfortable and neat (even with 3 kids 'stuff' everywhere)..

The room was very quiet, despite my initial fears it might not be since it is right next to (and actually behind) the elevators....

Probably the biggest perk was the fact it is mid-ship and one floor away, down from the Windjammer...

We were invited and took advantage of an exclusive tour for suite guests of the bridge and the engine control room which I thought was really cool, since we were able to take numerous photos in the captains chair, also on the bridge deck, and got to enter the 'I-95" hallway that runs the length of the ship where all of the crew live and get around from place to place...The kids were not that impressed with the engine control tour though, it got very technical and a little long...

On departure, you get to leave first with RED tags, which made for a speeedy departure when we were ready..

Hope this helps...

David:D

We had that same cabin in October........it really was a strange layout,but for a family,its great.........

It was two of us(2 friends),so it worked out great having our own bathroom and bedroom......

I think the balcony should run the whole length of the cabin..as it is,it has a divider and the one half is unusable........

Our cabin attendant was Cleveland.......he was super(he's home on vacation right now,but will be back soon)

We had that same cabin in October........it really was a strange layout,but for a family,its great.........

It was two of us(2 friends),so it worked out great having our own bathroom and bedroom......

I think the balcony should run the whole length of the cabin..as it is,it has a divider and the one half is unusable........

Our cabin attendant was Cleveland.......he was super(he's home on vacation right now,but will be back soon)

Hi Kathy,

Sorry we missed having you aboard this weekend. Had a fabulous cruise and yes we did make Coco Cay, with this time no tender hassles as the sea actually laid down a bit later in the day. Was an really beautiful day in both Nassau and Cocoa Cay. Really enjoyed that trip down West Bay out to the other Poop Deck at Sandyport. Fantastic lunch! :D

Had a nice visit last night with several people you know, including LT. What a neat guy he is, with a great wit and fun to talk to! :)

Glad you had such a good time...........I was there in spirit......:D:D when's the next one??:confused:

Not sure yet, but I am browsing deals right now! :)

After unpacking his morning I am currently doing my laundry, and as the clothes come out they are going right back into the suitcases. Don't even have to put them away as we leave Friday for our 10 night Jewel cruise.

Bought another "why not" future cruise certificate while on board, so now I have 2 on hand.

Danny's vacation sub was Elena (the name I could not remember) and she is great.

Danny will be back next week..... gotta love that guy!

Really enjoyed that trip down West Bay out to the other Poop Deck at Sandyport. Fantastic lunch! QUOTE:D

HI IslandLady

Will be on ship next week!!

What is this trip other than lunch?

On your own or ship excursion?

Thanks!!!!

Hi Kathy,

Had a nice visit last night with several people you know, including LT. What a neat guy he is, with a great wit and fun to talk to! :)

Funny cuz LT just called after I read this........he wanted to know if you were drunk(to think such nice things of him):p:p:p

Not sure yet, but I am browsing deals right now! :)

After unpacking his morning I am currently doing my laundry, and as the clothes come out they are going right back into the suitcases. Don't even have to put them away as we leave Friday for our 10 night Jewel cruise.

Bought another "why not" future cruise certificate while on board, so now I have 2 on hand.

Danny's vacation sub was Elena (the name I could not remember) and she is great.

Danny will be back next week..... gotta love that guy!

BTW-you need to come back to the FL thread....we're planning a cruise for the people of that thread...........in 2008,we did the Sovereign.this year,it will be the MJ or MN(but with some more input,it will definitely be the MN)..........the date is Sept 16th..........come join us.........Im sure LT will be there too,

Really enjoyed that trip down West Bay out to the other Poop Deck at Sandyport. Fantastic lunch! QUOTE:D

HI IslandLady

Will be on ship next week!!

What is this trip other than lunch?

On your own or ship excursion?

Thanks!!!!

Grabbed a taxi, of which can be slightly tricky as most of them want to take you the other way to Atlantis and Paradise Island. Sandyport and the marina is about 15 miles West on the main island road in the area, which is Bay Street. Going West from town is West Bay and naturally the other direction is East Bay.

Our taxi driver was a great tour host and pointed out many things in the area we might never have seen. Was wonderful to see another part of the island that is something other than the touristy area of the port.

Sandyport, just West of Cable Beach is pretty with a lot of high end homes and hotels. The Poop Deck is beautiful restaurant with great food and very comfortable open air patio for dining right on the beach. 20 bucks for two people each way taxi ride.

Drinks and appetisers on the porch is not a total wallet buster, but they do have some higher priced meals, though worth every penny. Spent 2 hours there, which was very relaxing and felt very spoiled.

BTW-you need to come back to the FL thread....we're planning a cruise for the people of that thread...........in 2008,we did the Sovereign.this year,it will be the MJ or MN(but with some more input,it will definitely be the MN)..........the date is Sept 16th..........come join us.........Im sure LT will be there too,

Thanks Kathy, and I would have loved to join you all. Unfortunately my Gulf Coast weekly time share in Bonita Springs starts the 17th. We enjoy the Snook fishing during that time.

Perhaps the next one? As you say, "will be there in spirit"! :) :)

Thanks Kathy, and I would have loved to join you all. Unfortunately my Gulf Coast weekly time share in Bonita Springs starts the 17th. We enjoy the Snook fishing during that time.

Perhaps the next one? As you say, "will be there in spirit"! :) :)

Ok.......but still stop by......we may get together someplace some other time too............

Grabbed a taxi, of which can be slightly tricky as most of them want to take you the other way to Atlantis and Paradise Island. Sandyport and the marina is about 15 miles West on the main island road in the area, which is Bay Street. Going West from town is West Bay and naturally the other direction is East Bay.

Our taxi driver was a great tour host and pointed out many things in the area we might never have seen. Was wonderful to see another part of the island that is something other than the touristy area of the port.

Sandyport, just West of Cable Beach is pretty with a lot of high end homes and hotels. The Poop Deck is beautiful restaurant with great food and very comfortable open air patio for dining right on the beach. 20 bucks for two people each way taxi ride.

Drinks and appetisers on the porch is not a total wallet buster, but they do have some higher priced meals, though worth every penny. Spent 2 hours there, which was very relaxing and felt very spoiled.

Wow sounds great!

Thanks for something different to do!!!

Yes, its too easy for taxis to do close by things.

Im am easy, I can eat under the bridge over to Atlantis!

I would love to be snook fishing.

The redfish is a big one on the photo!!!

I live in Galveston and we fish for reds, trout, drum, flounder inshore. The tarpon here are in the Gulf. The snook are not here,

but further down south towards Texas/Mexican border and in Mexico coastal areas. I have fished Mexico area from back in 1973 up until around 1995, but no more in northeast Mexico, because of obvious situation.

I have fished for tarpon and snook in Florida

at Boca Grande Pass area. Florida fishing is wonderful too!

Enjoy your fishing!

Thanks again for information!

And any other thoughts are weclome!

Wow sounds great!

Thanks for something different to do!!!

Yes, its too easy for taxis to do close by things.

Im am easy, I can eat under the bridge over to Atlantis!

I would love to be snook fishing.

The redfish is a big one on the photo!!!

I live in Galveston and we fish for reds, trout, drum, flounder inshore. The tarpon here are in the Gulf. The snook are not here,

but further down south towards Texas/Mexican border and in Mexico coastal areas. I have fished Mexico area from back in 1973 up until around 1995, but no more in northeast Mexico, because of obvious situation.

I have fished for tarpon and snook in Florida

at Boca Grande Pass area. Florida fishing is wonderful too!

Enjoy your fishing!

Thanks again for information!

And any other thoughts are weclome!

Wow!! I am impressed! :)

Not too many people would recognize that fish I am holding as a Redfish! :D

My favorite fish to catch (and eat :D ) is Snook, but I also love the Redfish and the trout. We don't get much Flounder here in the Port Canaveral area, but we used to see them in St. Augustine and Flagler Beach when I lived up there.

Yeah, I hear you about not wanted to hang out in the waters around Mexico...yikes. We are headed out on Friday to visit Columbia along with Costa Rica and Panama. Funny how Columbia has cleaned up their act, and Mexico is the scary place now. :eek:

We also love fishing around Boca Grande and love the area. Yeah, we are fishing addicts. Guess I need to bring my fish pole to toss a line off the balcony eh? ;)

• 2 months later...

We are driving to PC and don't want to be in the mad rush of people needing to catch flights. Would like to enjoy a leisurely breakfast before getting off. What is the latest time we can disembark the ship and what is the best way to handle luggage for that? Should we just plan to carry it off ourselves?

We are driving to PC and don't want to be in the mad rush of people needing to catch flights. Would like to enjoy a leisurely breakfast before getting off. What is the latest time we can disembark the ship and what is the best way to handle luggage for that? Should we just plan to carry it off ourselves?

You can eat in the MDR and then go to the area designated for your number/color luggage tag. Just be sure to choose a late time to disembark (you will get a form with info on Wed night and there will be a video on the TV about the process) and your luggage will be some of the last off. Chances are you will be off by 9:30 at the latest. We did a B2B on Monarch and we walked off and back on after saying Hi to ICE folks at about 9:30 after all others had departed. See you Monday!!!

• 1 month later...

Hey fellow cruisers...

My sister and I are going to be hanging out on The Monarch of the Seas for this Memorial Day Weekend and we can't wait...This will be the first time we vacation with each other (just us), EVER!! We usually do a Mother's Day cruise or some type of vacation every year in may with our Mother, Grandmother, Aunts and Cousin but this year we decided to have a little one-on-one time and just focus on "SISTERS"! We have never been on this ship before but we have traveled with Carnival several times. Hopefully, it will be just as nice but honestly, just being in the company of my sister is all I really care about. We live over 2000 miles away from each other so we only see each other about once a year. Anyway, happy sailing to all...see you aboard!!

Tiffany

Archived