All things Monarch of the Seas

Any suggestions for things to do on this ship? Anything we MUST do??

Check out the roll call for your cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1370185

These are the people who will be with you for the weekend.

Oh, and don't miss the soft-serve ice cream in Sorrento's. It's only open limited hours during the day.

Hello fellow cruisers!

The thread started by Christine for the Explorer is so informative and helpful, I thought I'd start a thread for my favorite ship, the Monarch of the Seas!

I know there are many monarch fans on this board and they can post here their links for pictures and compasses, as well as give praise to any of the hundereds of favorite crew members onboard. (I love the Monarch crew)

I'm even hoping that my friend Debbie (mohavemommy) can repost her very helpful information on the cabins with obstructed views. :)

Lets see how many more people we can find to join the Monarch Fan Club! :D

Hi! I love your reviews, but I was unable to open the Monarch b2b you did.. is it still up online?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
We were in the Royal Family Suite 1549 just last week, Dec 27-31...It was my family of 5...The layout is a little different from what I remember seeing in diagrams, as I believe it was an afterthought to add this cabin after the ship was already built...a wood floor hallway with bathroom/closet as you enter the room, and then a dining area with table/4 chairs, then to the left is the main sitting area, with sofabed/coffee table, bed, and then a separate door into the 2nd bedroom with 2 beds and pullman bed, and 2nd bathroom...there was a lot of storage everywhere. The second bedroom bathroom seemed actually larger...One problem we had was the poor design of the shower door (or missing part at the bottom) allowed a lot of water into the bathroom, so we ended up putting rolled up towels against the shower door at the bottom and they would be soaked afterwards..

Balcony was less than impressive, due to maintenance equipment stored nearby, but it has a table/2 chairs/ and a lounger. There is a television in each room, and the main one has a dvd player attached. There was a multioutlet attached to allow the dvd player to be plugged in, and we used it for other things also. Small fridge also. Coffee maker is there, but interestingly had the incorrect size coffee pack for the unit. We did get some additional 'treats' in the room a couple of times, included some sushi one time, and also chocolate covered strawberries 2 other times..(one of these was an apology from RCCL for an issue we had with some very loud cruisers yelling and carrying on at 2:30am our first night (I tolerated the very loud laughing/etc for 30 minutes), in which a phone call to complain was seemingly quickly taken care of with security dispatched..)

Suite perks (there is NO concierge on the Monarch) were limited, but there is a special notebook in the room that has a lot of suite information for you...includes all the night's menus, etc. There is a special section reserved for suite guests in the Sound Of Music Theatre for the shows, although, it did not seem to be enforced at all, so sometimes, people simply ignored the obvious sign and sat there anyway...Beach towels were already in the room, and 2 bathrobes/slippers were available. Our room attendant was Raj...very friendly, and kept the room comfortable and neat (even with 3 kids 'stuff' everywhere)..

The room was very quiet, despite my initial fears it might not be since it is right next to (and actually behind) the elevators....

Probably the biggest perk was the fact it is mid-ship and one floor away, down from the Windjammer...

We were invited and took advantage of an exclusive tour for suite guests of the bridge and the engine control room which I thought was really cool, since we were able to take numerous photos in the captains chair, also on the bridge deck, and got to enter the 'I-95" hallway that runs the length of the ship where all of the crew live and get around from place to place...The kids were not that impressed with the engine control tour though, it got very technical and a little long...

On departure, you get to leave first with RED tags, which made for a speeedy departure when we were ready..

Hope this helps...

David:D

Feel like I am pulling this thread out of the darkness but with the Monarch still sailing for a few months thought it was appropriate. Anyone have any recent reviews of this cabin? Can't seem to find pictures or reviews info on this cabin, guess it's because there is only one on the ship.

Are suite guest still getting invites to the bridge, galley & stage tours?

Does Jade still have Chocolate Sushi?

Any more thoughts of what's happening on the Monarch this year? :D

Anything new?

BonVoyage

Dawna

Monarch is still going strong with many C&A members booking cruises so they can sail on her before she leaves the RCL fleet. The crew is somewhat apprehensive of what the future holds for them - it is said they will be offered new assignments in September. They were still providing great service this month! We have another scheduled in September and hope to get one more in next year before she goes to Pullmantur!

Monarch is still going strong with many C&A members booking cruises so they can sail on her before she leaves the RCL fleet. The crew is somewhat apprehensive of what the future holds for them - it is said they will be offered new assignments in September. They were still providing great service this month! We have another scheduled in September and hope to get one more in next year before she goes to Pullmantur!

Hi Scotty!! :)

I just recently booked the Enchantment (AKA Enstretchment ;) ) for our next anniversary

cruise over June 1st. I sure hope many of our friends from our sweet little Monarch are

able to move over to the new replacement for her. Though I am sure she already has a full crew, I was just hoping some will make the transfer.

I have seen the EOS several times from afar when she visits, but have never been aboard. We are hoping to enjoy a new relationship with her when we get to welcome her as a home ported ship!

Hi Scotty!! :)

I just recently booked the Enchantment (AKA Enstretchment ;) ) for our next anniversary

cruise over June 1st. I sure hope many of our friends from our sweet little Monarch are

able to move over to the new replacement for her. Though I am sure she already has a full crew, I was just hoping some will make the transfer.

We have our fingers crossed that Desmond makes the transfer!!!

We are on Jewel on the 25th of Feb just after you guys. Happy cruising!!!!

Have you seen the prices for 3 nighters in Sept :eek: Our cruise is $919 for a single on an inside, gotta say OMG! Would love to be on the last 3 nighter as we were out of LA but the prices are a bit rich for me. :(

BonVoyage

Dawna

We have our fingers crossed that Desmond makes the transfer!!!

We are on Jewel on the 25th of Feb just after you guys. Happy cruising!!!!

Ahh..wonderful...but drats that we will miss you! My sister is with us for the 2/11 cruise, as her birthday is the 15th. Really nice way to celebrate! :D

Smooth seas, and happy cruising to you and your bride also my friend! :)

Have you seen the prices for 3 nighters in Sept :eek: Our cruise is $919 for a single on an inside, gotta say OMG! Would love to be on the last 3 nighter as we were out of LA but the prices are a bit rich for me. :(

BonVoyage

Dawna

Yes I saw that!!! YIKES:eek: We are looking for take a 3 night sometime between the end of July and beginning of September but not unless prices come wayyyyyyyyy down!!!

BonVoyage

Dawna

I guess the weekend demand is pretty high. Our 3 September - a four night - is $340 PP for the SOV. Pretty constant through Nov 12th ($349).

We considered the last three night but it was way too high. Also, don't like the crowd so much on the weekend voyages.

Yes I saw that!!! YIKES:eek: We are looking for take a 3 night sometime between the end of July and beginning of September but not unless prices come wayyyyyyyyy down!!!

Cat Y OV is $349 on August 10th right now!!! It doesn't get better than this for the Summer weekends.

Cat Y OV is $349 on August 10th right now!!! It doesn't get better than this for the Summer weekends.

We don't really like the weekend ones either but for one of those I don't have to take any time off from work. We live about an hour from PC so I am just going to keep watching prices. They had oceanviews for $199 for this weekend so maybe that will happen again.

Just trying to fit a short one in before our November cruise.:) If it doesn't happen it's no biggie!!

Looking over last October's Compasses, wondering if much has changed. Anyone have a link to some more current Compasses? Would love to compare last Octobers 3 nighter to another.

Midnight Buffet still around?

Don't need the food but love the after party :D Last year it rained the entire time but we had a blast all dripping wet.

Any past suite guest know the dates/times of any of the behind the scenes tours that are offered on a 3 nighter? Seems our Engine room tour was while in Coco Cay but can't recall the time. Galley, Bridge?

BonVoyage

Dawna

Looking over last October's Compasses, wondering if much has changed. Anyone have a link to some more current Compasses? Would love to compare last Octobers 3 nighter to another.

Don't need the food but love the after party :D Last year it rained the entire time but we had a blast all dripping wet.

Any past suite guest know the dates/times of any of the behind the scenes tours that are offered on a 3 nighter? Seems our Engine room tour was while in Coco Cay but can't recall the time. Galley, Bridge?

BonVoyage

Dawna

Recently off the Monarch in a GS.

No midnight buffet. We also didn't get any invitations for tours of the galley or bridge.

There was a nightly Diamond Plus event in the Viking Crown Lounge that we were invited to. There was also a suite party on Coco Cay. And then there was some sort of suite breakfast that we skipped (on the sea day - 4 night cruise).

BonVoyage

Dawna

The 3 day itinerary has a late night poolside dance party and buffet on Saturday night as the ship is leaving Nassau.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I'm sailing the Monarch later this month with someone who needs it pitch black for him to be able to sleep.

Does anyone have any experience with the oceanview cabins on decks 2 or 5 and whether their curtains can block out all light from the outside?

Thank you!

Hey everyone,

I'm sailing the Monarch later this month with someone who needs it pitch black for him to be able to sleep.

Does anyone have any experience with the oceanview cabins on decks 2 or 5 and whether their curtains can block out all light from the outside?

Thank you!

The inside cabins provide pitch black rooms. they sometimes have a peep hole that allows in heat and people bring masking tape to cover it. If that is open, it can be annoying because it comes straight towards your bed. hope this helps.

The 3 day itinerary has a late night poolside dance party and buffet on Saturday night as the ship is leaving Nassau.

When I was on the Monarch it was a midnight cigarette smoking party. I'm fine with moving away from designate smoking areas. The entire pool deck was a smoke pit and the crew didn't care in the slightest.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone,

Thank you!

I've never had this problem myself, but we have friends who swear that they will never cruise without duct tape to tape the curtains closed so that they block out all of the light for sleeping. Never tried it myself but I guess it's worth a try. We also will be on the Monarch at the end of the month. We just booked today.

Just returned from a cruise on the Radiance and I heard a rumor that the Monarch has been sold. Has anyone else heard this?

They sold it to one of their other cruise lines. Pulmantur. I leaves the fleet in March or April 2013. Monarch fans would know the exact date and will tell you soon, I'm sure.

Gina

• 1 month later...

Archived