Beer with Dinner- Gauche?

Bilyeu5

You can have whatever you wish to drink, with dinner, & only the worst sort of poorly educated wine snob would sneer. Besides, the affordable wine is not drinkable & the drinkable wine is not affordable, so beer offers much better value for money!:)

Depending on who you are seated with, people could be drinking anything from 'umbrella' (mixed) drinks, wine, ice tea, coffee or whatever. Or some folks drink just water.

As in most social situations, I don't think it is what one drinks, it's just noticeable if one drinks too much of it.

Don't worry about it. Enjoy the cruise!

Uhhh, may I give a different opinion without being flamed? As long as he's not wearing one of those helmets with two cans and see-thru pipes leading to his mouth, then I see nothing wrong with it. Beer is perfectly acceptable.

You can have whatever you wish to drink, with dinner, & only the worst sort of poorly educated wine snob would sneer. Besides, the affordable wine is not drinkable & the drinkable wine is not affordable, so beer offers much better value for money!:)

Well said, well said! I drink water (or iced tea) at dinner because their wine selections and pricing are . . . well, they're nothing I would buy, ever.

lkt

Did not appreciate you making fun of my dinner hat that holds two fresh budweisers. Do you know how many cracker games that hat has been through and survived. For sanitary reasons we do change the tubing at least yearly.

Next you will be talking about my bibs. (dungaree overalls). I do have it unsnapped on the right side and let it lay over to the left as this is in the good Florida Cracker tradition. Let you know I wash them at least three weeks prior to the cruise so they are fresh and have no bad smells.

Good thing about them is do not have to wear underwear. That way do not have to worry about skid marks.

Please confine your comments to the snotty people who drink foreign beer out of a champagne glass and call themselves sophisticated.......

Just Kidding

Have a great day

Jim (without Ruth)

Some high end restaurants even serve beer pairings with tasting menus (in addition to wine pairings) so I don't see why having beer with dinner would be frowned on:p

Of course, in such cases I imagine they offer a much more high end beer selection than HAL's!:D

Seriously, I've said this before, but it does puzzle me that HAL's beer selections are so limited, and not particularly gourmet. True microbrews might not be feasible, because of availability limitations, but it would seem that they could offer at least one or two of the more widely available higher-end choices.

That said, there are some dishes that are as much or more suited to beer than wine, and in any event, as far as I'm concerned, whatever anyone chooses to drink with dinner is their business, as long as they don't overindulge to the extent that their behavior becomes uncivilized. :rolleyes:

DH has enjoyed many a Beer at Dinner:)

Uhhh, may I give a different opinion without being flamed? As long as he's not wearing one of those helmets with two cans and see-thru pipes leading to his mouth, then I see nothing wrong with it. Beer is perfectly acceptable.

Did not appreciate you making fun of my dinner hat that holds two fresh budweisers. Do you know how many cracker games that hat has been through and survived. For sanitary reasons we do change the tubing at least yearly.

Next you will be talking about my bibs. (dungaree overalls). I do have it unsnapped on the right side and let it lay over to the left as this is in the good Florida Cracker tradition. Let you know I wash them at least three weeks prior to the cruise so they are fresh and have no bad smells.

Good thing about them is do not have to wear underwear. That way do not have to worry about skid marks.

Please confine your comments to the snotty people who drink foreign beer out of a champagne glass and call themselves sophisticated.......

Just Kidding

Have a great day

Jim (without Ruth)

And this is for Tom and Jim:D

beer.jpg?t=1192057090

My husband likes beer with dinner...not wine. Will he be accommodated?

Sneered at?

Anyone that sneers at someone drinking beer at dinner must be a wine snob. Fuggedaboutit!

If people can have dinner in their jeans, surely one can have one's drink of choice at dinner.

But that would be the outfit that is unacceptable, not the drink: neither smart casual nor formal. :D

It was a RSVP charter (gay) and the usual dining rules etc did not always apply such as dress codes (though it was not a jeans and flip-flop free for all).

So the first night we were seated at a table for eight. On our left were and elderly couple from Florida that were rather snobbish. Then a couple joined us to be seated on my right. The one guy is in shorts and a loud Hawaiian shirt, he plonks his large can of Fosters Lager on the table as he sits down. In my my mind I go "oh, dear what have we got here"? And he was kinda loud, like his shirt.

It turns out that he and his friend (not partner) were very entertaining and delightful dinner companions. He proceeded to order a bottle of Veuve Cliquot next and was happy to share it. First appearances can be deceiving! We enjoyed their company more during the cruise and ended up having dinner with them on the last night too.

Archived