Beer with Dinner- Gauche?

Bilyeu5

Of course, in such cases I imagine they offer a much more high end beer selection than HAL's!:D

Seriously, I've said this before, but it does puzzle me that HAL's beer selections are so limited, and not particularly gourmet. True microbrews might not be feasible, because of availability limitations, but it would seem that they could offer at least one or two of the more widely available higher-end choices.

I agree. On the Alaska cruises they serve quite good beer from Juneau. It is a shame that they cannot serve this on all sailings.

The Belgians drink different beers with different courses, like the French do with wine. Very civilised.

it is your cruise. you paid for it and are the one that will be forced to enjoy it...sigh. if, like jim, you want to wear bib over'hauls and your beer hat, then have at it. no one will fuss that has any sense or couth. don't sweat it. and drink an extra for those of us still stuck on land...if i had the figure i would wear over' hauls, a tube top and drink a mighty fine, dry as the sahara chardonnay....:p lauri (jim, i am still laughing at the college beer hat picture in my head....thanks)

Used to have a pair where used foley cath bag (hopefully new) to allow beverage to drip into pump on underside of slippers so when you walked you were pumping your beverage up a tube than was clipped to your right ear (Republican ear) and it had a sipper on then end to obtain refreshments when needed. Was great in cold weather as body heat kept refreshment from freezing.

Nurseblissful:

Glad to have give you a good laugh

Ruth & Jim

I read your question and skipped right to my reply without reading even one other response. Your husband (and you) should feel free to order whatever you want to drink with whatever you want to drink it with. Any negative judgements of his order reflect poorly on the self-appointed judge--not you or your husband.

Please confine your comments to the snotty people who drink foreign beer out of a champagne glass and call themselves sophisticated.......

This snotty person drinks his Grolsch from a Pilsner glass...

;)

(In Japan, the most popular imported beer is Budweiser...)

It's about attitude. I believe that wait persons are there to serve. Period. I frankly attempt to exude that attitude from the outset and it has always held me in good stead. If I prefer a beer, then it is the wine steward's (or waiter's) job to bring me the beer I want. I often mix it up during cruises between beer, wine or nothing at all, beyond water. I never apologize to wait people or table mates for what I order. It is what I prefer that counts and I find that I am universally respected for it. The wine steward actually enjoys bringing me the right beverage for my tastes.

LITTLE STORY FROM LONG TIME AGO:

I was a young 2lt in Field Artillery Battalion attached to Artillery Group Headquarters. We got a new group commander in and he was having a wine and cheese party at the Officers Club to get to meet all the officers in the group (3 Artillery Battalions in goup). Each one was to bring a bottle of the favorite wine and a lb of cheese for everyone to enjoy. Name cards were set out so everyone could see who brought what.

All the officer were tripping over themselves trying to get sophisticated wine or exotic cheeses to impress the new group commander.

Ruth and I took a brown paper bad with a box ov Velveta cheese, Bayonet to cut it wih and 1/2 gallon bottle of Ripple. He saw us setting up the goodies by out name card and commentsed "Interesting, I love Velveta Cheese but have never tried Ripple." Told him it was guranteed to be at least week old.

He always said hello whever he saw me after that and remarked about the Velveta cheese. Was transferred to gGroup Headquarters couple months after the party...

Moral: It doesn't take a lot of sophistication to impress someone....

Ruth & Jim

It's your vacation. Why worry about what other people think...besides you will probably never see them again. It is just as easy to get what you really want as it is to get what you think other will find acceptable. Life is too short to worry about things like that. Just one person's opinion.

The beer is perfectly acceptable but pulleeez, use a glass. I have a female friend who always drinks beer with her dinner if we are cruising, but she requests that the beer be put into a wine glass. For some reason the glass is brought to the table and she has to pour it herself. I think this is a bit odd...the can and the glass get put down on the table and she feels like they are just calling attention to her choice of beverage.

Hey look, if one can drink a Wang Wang with a purple colored paper umbrella from a straw at the dinner table, one can most certainly drink a beer (a good old Dutch beer like Amstel comes to mind) under the same table! Don't worry, be happy!:)

why is it that when we choose to be on a vacation, albeit on a ship with many others, we have to keep up with the Jones? Let's keep them off the ship and enjoy ourselves. Drink beer or whatever.

On a cruise last year, my wife and I sat with a lovely pair of couples whose religion was such that drinking alcohol was not their practice. This did not stop us from ordering wine every night, nor did it prevent some of them from ordering grape juice, which they said they loved, and which was their way of not trying to put their beliefs in our face - which would have had zero effect if they had. Fortunately, they were, as I said, nice people, and respected the fact that each of us has our own views on metaphysical issues.

so, drink beer, wine, or grape juice - just enjoy the vacation.

harry

Hey look, if one can drink a Wang Wang with a purple colored paper umbrella from a straw at the dinner table, one can most certainly drink a beer (a good old Dutch beer like Amstel comes to mind) under the same table! Don't worry, be happy!:)

(LOL) under the table Copper? (love it)

and I totally agree with you :D

Archived