Eggs Benedict for Breakfast?

oshkosh1

Back in the good old days of cruising (the 80's and early 90's) my DW loved having eggs benedict for breakfast while cruising. She would have it several times during our cruise.

With the Salmonella scare in the 90's we were no longer able to get eggs benedict any longer.

Has anyone seen it on the menu lately in the dining room? We will be on the Jewel in March.:D

Back in the good old days of cruising (the 80's and early 90's) my DW loved having eggs benedict for breakfast while cruising. She would have it several times during our cruise.

With the Salmonella scare in the 90's we were no longer able to get eggs benedict any longer.

Has anyone seen it on the menu lately in the dining room? We will be on the Jewel in March.:D

I have seen it in the main dining room on every cruise I have taken for breakfast.

jc

not sure if it's on the menu or not - I just order it and they bring it. Watch out though - they tend to overcook the eggs - if you like them runny be sure to tell them.

kathy

(OP-I had this same question.)

Kathy,

will they make them runny if you ask?

and were they good?? Does anyone know if the dining room on Explorer serves them too?

Happy Sailings,

CruiseDivaNJ

event.png

It's on the menu every morning except the last morning when you disembark. I find it a little too filling but I love the idea of the hollandaise sauce. What I do is order two eggs sunny side up, a slice of ham and hollandaise on the side. Perfect and you don't get over done eggs. Their ham is better than their Canadian bacon.

Kathy,

and were they good?? Does anyone know if the dining room on Explorer serves them too?

Happy Sailings,

CruiseDivaNJ

event.png

They will make them runny - but you must ask. I don't like them unless they are runny. Now I am really hungry.

Kathy

That is the only reason I go to the dinning room to eat breakfast. Now I have noticed that they are not always available everyday on some ships, but they will usually accomodate you. The only one that did not was on the Caribbean Princess, I had to wait until it was on the menu.

I agree that all the RCI ships have eggs Benedict in the dining room. I've also had some pretty awful ones. One time I didn't order them but someone else at our breakfast table did and he said they were tasteless. His wife, a TA, called over the waiter and told him that they were unacceptable and to make fresh ones. They did and they were fine. The sauce didn't look like the original ones and the eggs were hot.

If I order them again, I guess if they're not good, I would ask for fresh ones. I think I'd be nasty like the agent was, but I would ask or maybe I would ask that the ones I get are freshly made and that I was willing to wait.

Certainly had them on the Jewel this Sept.

The Hollandaise sauce does vary so i try them first day and if good continue to order them.

However it does appear on the buffet once or twice but vastly inferior, IMHO.

Just a note to say I have never seen EB in the Windjammer, ever. If it was offered there, I agree it probably wouldn't be worth eating ;) , but I did want to comment that I have never seen it in the buffet on any of my cruises.

It's on the menu every morning except the last morning when you disembark. I find it a little too filling but I love the idea of the hollandaise sauce. What I do is order two eggs sunny side up, a slice of ham and hollandaise on the side. Perfect and you don't get over done eggs. Their ham is better than their Canadian bacon.

Thank you, thank you.............didn't think to do that. Will try that in a couple weeks........usually they are over cooked.

Sorry you missed the Panama cruise Rev, was looking forward to meeting to meeting you. Velma

I'm a broken record when talking about breakfast and eggs benedict to all who will listen. They are available in the dining room and sometimes, but rarely, in the Windjammer. However, I was very disappointed when they removed them from the disembarkation breakfast menu. Luckily for me, my head waiter for a short 4-night cruise without DH told me he would make sure I could get them even on that morning.

Yes, guilt comes into play, but 5 consecutive mornings with eggs benedict is heavenly. I guess I'll have to pace myself on the Barcelona-Galveston 15-nighter in December. Hmm, can anyone say alternative selection.

Remember, breakfast sets the tone for the rest of the day--live it up!

Beatrice

Kathy,

Happy Sailings,

CruiseDivaNJ

event.png

Hi again, I've had them on the Explorer including the Bermuda cruise.

Thanks for your e address. Leaving MA tomorrow, will write to you soon,

Just a note to say I have never seen EB in the Windjammer, ever. If it was offered there, I agree it probably wouldn't be worth eating ;) , but I did want to comment that I have never seen it in the buffet on any of my cruises.

We had EB in the Windjammer on our last cruise in Dec 06. Maybe it varies from ship to ship. The eggs were better in the dining room tho.

I'm a broken record when talking about breakfast and eggs benedict to all who will listen.

Remember, breakfast sets the tone for the rest of the day--live it up!

Beatrice

I'll play your broken record with mine...Eggs Benny rules! A cruise is just not a cruise without EB. btw, if you get a chance, (or make it happen!) try Mason Jar on I-10 & Campbell. They are better there than anywhere in Houston. Almost as good as in New Orleans!!

RevSmith, I love your suggestion to order all the parts separate...thanks!

Archived