Explorer Live Now And Then

I have an HP Compaq and mine is right next to the power button. When I go on cybercabin I keep the wireless off so it will connect with the dial up modem. When you get cybercabin you will connect your laptop to the modem which is basically a telephone. You can't stay wireless with Cybercabin and you will only be able to use it in your cabin. You can buy a wireless package which is basically a certain amount of time like an hour for 35.00 and than you can use your laptop wireless at the hot spots on the ship. The Explorer cabins are not wired for wireless so you do need to go to a hot spot. If your cabin is close to one you may be able to pick up a signal.

Wow! Sounds like you had a rough ride in Dean!:eek: Thankfully I do not get seasick but I did/do have a wicked cold that is slowly going away. Yes, you would feel it much worse right in front of the ship even on the Explorer. We always book just aft of the hump but these cabins were just forward of the hump for a change so our cabins were only 1 apart from each other for the move. :)

Thanks for your info on cybercabin. I'm surprised though, because the web site says that the suites on Explorer have WiFi - we have a grand suite for March 08 and the royal suite for March 09. But I planned on doing the cybercabin thing anyhow cuz it's one set price for the entire time and it's unlimited ~ I'm leaving kids behind this trip (it's our 25th anniversary) so I know I'll be on more than an hour on a 9 night cruise just checking on them and the pets. Do you get the cybercabin set up from the guest relations desk the minute you get on board? I know they don't have many and you can't reserve them. Again thanks for your help.

Thanks for the pictures.

Can someone tell me about the Arctic Zone? What deck is it on and what is it near? The sign says ice cream. Is that true or is it frozen yogurt?

Thanks!

It is on the pool deck, Deck 11, starboard side. It is frozen yogurt and the BEST I've ever had! :)

The pictures are great. Thanks for sharing them. Any tips on tours to take in San Juan and St. Thomas?

Is there a charge for the ice ream in Artic Zone?

Where do you get those delicious chocolate covered strawberries? Thanks again. Iris

This is a GREAT source of port info on CC! Just click on the port you want and read what other CC members have to say about tours and things to do! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Suzanne

Yeah - but at least it's EARLY in the season!!!! Actually - I'd love to take a New England/Canada cruise in the fall - but that's not going to work while Blake's in college. Oh well - I'll take a cruise whenever I can get it!!!! LOL

Blake and I were trying to figure out which one was you in the pic. We thought the tall guy was your husband - and that it must be you behind him since that woman has her hand on his shoulder!!!! LOL Now we know!!!!

Actually August is in the middle sort of as the season starts in June! LOL! :D Dont worry you'll be fine! I say that on all my cruises and you can see how well that's worked out! :D Really, they will avoid the storms and never put the ship or passengers in harms way:)

DH was glued to the BIG sofa for the M & M! :D

Suzanne,

Initially I kind of overlooked the divided balcony for OS1608, but now that someone else commented on it, I'm a bit apprehensive. I know there is no entrance from the bedroom side of it, so it must be accessible. Was it truly no big deal.. could you see the person or people sitting on the other part of the balcony and have a decent conversation, etc.

Thanks

Thanks for your info on cybercabin. I'm surprised though, because the web site says that the suites on Explorer have WiFi - we have a grand suite for March 08 and the royal suite for March 09. But I planned on doing the cybercabin thing anyhow cuz it's one set price for the entire time and it's unlimited ~ I'm leaving kids behind this trip (it's our 25th anniversary) so I know I'll be on more than an hour on a 9 night cruise just checking on them and the pets. Do you get the cybercabin set up from the guest relations desk the minute you get on board? I know they don't have many and you can't reserve them. Again thanks for your help.

Only the new Freedom class ships have wireless built in. The Explorer does not have it in the cabins including suites as it's an older ship. Guest relations does not set up the cybercabin, you have to do it yourself. You go to Guest Relations when you board and request one and they give you a plastic box with the modem and instruction booklet in it. Just unplug phone in your cabin, plug modem in and than connect modem to your laptop and follow directions. Make sure other phones in cabin are unplugged or cybercabin will not work. They only ave a few Cybercabins and it's first come first serve. It's very easy to set up and I've used it many times with no problem. Sometimes you can't get a connection so you just have to be patient with it but usually early in the morning and late at night are the best times to get on. :)

Suzanne,

Initially I kind of overlooked the divided balcony for OS1608, but now that someone else commented on it, I'm a bit apprehensive. I know there is no entrance from the bedroom side of it, so it must be accessible. Was it truly no big deal.. could you see the person or people sitting on the other part of the balcony and have a decent conversation, etc.

Thanks

We did not find the balcony to be a problem at all:) The entire balcony is accessible from the living room sliding balcony door. Yes, the floorspace is completely clear and wide open so it's like any other balcony that way where you sit and talk with people on either end of balcony. It's not dividing the balcony itself! I posted pics of the balcony on here somewhere and you can see it's a regular seating arrangement. :)

This is the 1608 balcony and pictures taken from both ends:) You can also see the long narrow bedroom window that looks out to the balcony also behind the chair. There is another piece of balcony to the right of the chair so if you are sitting in that chair you can look out to ocean.

IMG_0368.jpg?t=1194320062

It is on the pool deck, Deck 11, starboard side. It is frozen yogurt and the BEST I've ever had! :)

Thanks. Hopefully they leave the "ice cream" sign up and not change it to frozen yogurt. My kids love ice cream, but probably won't try frozen yogurt. :confused:

IMG_0367.jpg?t=1194320096

I am really enjoying all of your pictures and your tales of your trip. I was concerned when you were in rough seas and am glad you are safe. Can you tell me???? I will be sailing in a GS on the Dec 23 holiday cruise and am curious if you know if the same type or size of table will be on my balcony?

Suzanne.. once again you come through with the info, not to mention, the pics and explanation to back it all up. I know I'll be in the minority here, but I actually like the setup of the balcony. I have had two promenade rooms on the Voyager and two balcony rooms on the Carnival Victory. I am prone to seasickness and I pretty much avoid the balcony, because if I am on smooth seas and enjoy the amenities of the ship, I seem to do fine. What I like about this balcony is that little nook in the corner where the lounge chair is. My mom and my daughter can feel free to sit at that table and I can be a bit "sheltered" until I get my sea legs on. When I want to be brave, I can shift on over to the open part of the balcony.

I also think the lounge chair in the room seems like a nice spot right there by the picture window. If I'm not mistaken, from your picture, that indoor chaise must be up against the tall window of the balcony, so in essence, you have windows on both sides of you while relaxing in chaise lounge. I think this balcony is just what the doctor ordered for me.

Thanks again for sharing!

Actually August is in the middle sort of as the season starts in June! LOL! :D Dont worry you'll be fine! I say that on all my cruises and you can see how well that's worked out! :D Really, they will avoid the storms and never put the ship or passengers in harms way:)

DH was glued to the BIG sofa for the M & M! :D

Sure - lull me out of my false sense of security!!!! LOL :p

I know I'll be in the minority here, but I actually like the setup of the balcony. .

quote]

I'll join the minority here Donna!

I booked 2 balconies on deck 6 just for the location alone.

I don't like the see-through plexiglass fronts, but I LOVE the bit of extra privacy with the metal front underneath the balcony railings. :p Whatever floats our boat...right? :D

Thanks. Hopefully they leave the "ice cream" sign up and not change it to frozen yogurt. My kids love ice cream, but probably won't try frozen yogurt. :confused:

Believe me they won't even know!!! It does NOT taste yogurty at all. My DD8 LOVED it, I could barely keep her away, lol. :D

Suzanne.. once again you come through with the info, not to mention, the pics and explanation to back it all up. I know I'll be in the minority here, but I actually like the setup of the balcony. I have had two promenade rooms on the Voyager and two balcony rooms on the Carnival Victory. I am prone to seasickness and I pretty much avoid the balcony, because if I am on smooth seas and enjoy the amenities of the ship, I seem to do fine. What I like about this balcony is that little nook in the corner where the lounge chair is. My mom and my daughter can feel free to sit at that table and I can be a bit "sheltered" until I get my sea legs on. When I want to be brave, I can shift on over to the open part of the balcony.

I also think the lounge chair in the room seems like a nice spot right there by the picture window. If I'm not mistaken, from your picture, that indoor chaise must be up against the tall window of the balcony, so in essence, you have windows on both sides of you while relaxing in chaise lounge. I think this balcony is just what the doctor ordered for me.

Thanks again for sharing!

You're welcome:) We had a similar type balcony in the JS before moving to the OS and that didn't bother us either and we've always had open JS balconys before. The extra piece of wall provides a little more shelter from the wind when at sea and it's really very nice. Some people do not use the balcony a lot but I sit out there for hours everyday reading or just watching the ocean and I liked the extra wind buffer:) It sounds like it may work very well for you also:)

Archived