Please get your facts straight before posting

dfishner

[quote name='terri23']RC just needs to put quotes around all its fake menu items: "lobster", "gran marnier" souffle (orange extract souffle doesn't have as much cache, I guess), "beef filet", "tenderloin", "chocolate" anything (except the flourless choc cake in the specialty restaurants - that actually tasted like real chocolate), " 'crab' and 'shrimp' salad" (just plain bad), "lobster bisque", "prime" rib, etc. they really are using these terms pretty loosely. I guess false advertising isn't a crime on the high seas ;)[/quote]

"Coffee". :D

[quote name='amybear912']It's kind of like thinking that 'filet of beef' on the dining room menu is somehow the same thing as 'filet mignon'......[/QUOTE]

You mean it aint! Next thing their gonna tell me is that thing on the fisherman's platter aint lobster.......Wait a minute didn't I read that too!

[quote name='terri23']RC just needs to put quotes around all its fake menu items: "lobster", "gran marnier" souffle (orange extract souffle doesn't have as much cache, I guess), "beef filet", "tenderloin", "chocolate" anything (except the flourless choc cake in the specialty restaurants - that actually tasted like real chocolate), " 'crab' and 'shrimp' salad" (just plain bad), "lobster bisque", "prime" rib, etc. they really are using these terms pretty loosely. I guess false advertising isn't a crime on the high seas ;)[/quote]

Not exactly... they can use those terms if those ingredients are included in the product... even if the amount is barely noticeable...

I am sure there is some Grand Marnier in the souffle, but probably not much... beef filet refers to a type of cut and has nothing to do with the type of beef they are using... chocolate is a pretty general term, from a culinary standpoint... they are using chocolate, it just doesn't have a high percentage of actual cacao.... crab and shrimp - I'm sure they use a little bit but the rest is usually some other form of seafood...

The point is that just because the product isn't 100%, doesn't mean it doesn't have 'some' of the ingredient... this is pretty standard not just on cruiseships but also in restaurants...

here's another one: hollandaise... last time I checked, hollandaise doesn't come from a powdered mix.

[quote name='cruisinMike']You mean it aint! Next thing their gonna tell me is that thing on the fisherman's platter aint lobster.......Wait a minute didn't I read that too![/quote]

Absolutely not... you can get filet mignon at Chops but yeah, what they call filet of beef in the dining room isn't filet mignon... but they aren't lying to you ... the cut is filet and it IS beef... but in order for it to be filet mignon it must be a cut from the tenderloin... that's a much more expensive piece of meat and they certainly aren't going to serve that in the dining room ...

They're simply counting on your lack of culinary education...

[quote name='firefly333']I agree, because the OP had lobster on their cruise would have nothing to do with if there will be lobster starting next year. I did read that someone was emailed that there will still be lobster, yea.

[COLOR=Red]Right, RCI has stated that lobster is not leaving in 08. At this time a rumor.[/COLOR]

Dueling pianos and a few favorite live music types have been pulled. I dont think anyone said ALL live music was pulled, but then I dont read every thread.

[COLOR=Red]Please tell what has been pulled other than the dueling pianos. They also added a Latin band to Boleros. Now imagine that, a Latin band[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]in a Latin themed lounge. Who would have thunk????

[/COLOR] All this about how posters need to get their facts straight?? Ok?[/quote]

[COLOR=Red]Bottom line other than the surcharge which all lines other than Disney have now put into place what other cutbacks have taken place? So far all I have read is rumors from people who have not cruised lately to know what changes have actually taken place. Personally I don't blame the cruise lines if they do start cutting back. I have paid the same price to cruise for the last five years while everything else around me has continued to rise in price. People want caviar, lobster and champagne for a $100.00 a day. You get what you pay for. People on this site complain about the price of a cruise but then they expect the Ritz Carlton on a Motel Six budget.....[/COLOR]

Oh well, lunch time is over and back to work.

Not exactly... they can use those terms if those ingredients are included in the product... even if the amount is barely noticeable...

I am sure there is some Grand Marnier in the souffle, but probably not much... beef filet refers to a type of cut and has nothing to do with the type of beef they are using... chocolate is a pretty general term, from a culinary standpoint... they are using chocolate, it just doesn't have a high percentage of actual cacao.... crab and shrimp - I'm sure they use a little bit but the rest is usually some other form of seafood...

The point is that just because the product isn't 100%, doesn't mean it doesn't have 'some' of the ingredient... this is pretty standard not just on cruiseships but also in restaurants...

here's another one: hollandaise... last time I checked, hollandaise doesn't come from a powdered mix.

you'll do a fine job on RC's marketing team, I'm sure. :p

my tongue-in-cheek post was intended to reflect my belief that RC sometimes pushes the generally accepted imits with its nomenclature - sorry, but I don't believe there is any GM in the souffle nor is there any identifiable crab meat in the "crab and shrimp salad" - unless, of course, you think surimi counts as crab. I don't. but maybe it counts as "crab" ;)

Ewww...I couldn't even try it as the smell of it gagged me. DH was a bit more brave and took one bite and spit it in a napkin. All evening, he couldn't get the taste out of his mouth.

This was at a restaurant in Miami. I didn't realize RCCL served it up sometimes!

I have a great story along those lines. The husband of a co-worker of mine was at a restaurant, saw Rocky Mountain Oysters on the menu (he loved oysters) and ordered them not knowing what they were. He was quite unhappy when he was told AFTER he ate them.

DON

Sure it does! Whenever I luck into a good price on a pound of asparagus, I get a packet of stuff from the grocery. I think I add butter and milk (been a while!). Use the leftover sauce for eggs benedict.

3) Midnight Buffet- they had a very nice one on Friday I believe. We had the late setting and actually had never gone to one but decided to check the viewing of the food and the displays. Did not stay for the dining part just wanted to see it.

I was on the Mariner in mid-November. The midnight buffet was pathetic compared to what I have seen in the past. There were very few ice carvings, they had been replaced with wax carvings which I am sure they reuse for every buffet.

I don't really care about the food they served, it is usually a feast for the eyes, but alas, it was lacking there as well. It was a very short buffet with no chocolate carvings or bread carvings. I remember on my first cruise all of the beautiful, intricate designs made from chocolate. It was very exciting to see. Little chocolate trees, with little tiny chocolate birds in them and a horsedrawn carriage made out of bread. It was really something and that was less then three years ago!

There was no seafood. There were a few cakes at the end of the line, but nothing fancy.

We mentioned to our Head waiter that we thought the whole thing was quite disappointing and were told that it wasn't long for this world. They were phasing out the midnight buffet over the next few months.

I have a great story along those lines. The husband of a co-worker of mine was at a restaurant, saw Rocky Mountain Oysters on the menu (he loved oysters) and ordered them not knowing what they were. He was quite unhappy when he was told AFTER he ate them.

DON

Before he found out what they really are......I bet he loved them!!:D

Rick

Sure it does! Whenever I luck into a good price on a pound of asparagus, I get a packet of stuff from the grocery. I think I add butter and milk (been a while!). Use the leftover sauce for eggs benedict.

Boy have you been missing out... the real stuff is to die for and once you've had it, you definitely notice the difference:)

you'll do a fine job on RC's marketing team, I'm sure. :p

my tongue-in-cheek post was intended to reflect my belief that RC sometimes pushes the generally accepted imits with its nomenclature - sorry, but I don't believe there is any GM in the souffle nor is there any identifiable crab meat in the "crab and shrimp salad" - unless, of course, you think surimi counts as crab. I don't. but maybe it counts as "crab" ;)

It has little to do with marketing... just common restaurant/food knowledge... common in the sense that those of us who work in this industry are aware... it's the general public that is pretty much clueless...

Those of us who work in this industry are quite aware that food is often prepared with 'fillers' and 'substitutes'... and the savvy consumer is smart enough to realize that for what you are paying to cruise, you can't possibly be getting 100% product... if you were, the food cost per passenger would be through the roof and few if any of us could actually afford to cruise...

Besides, we're talking RC here... is anyone really crazy enough to think that the cost of your cruise would include high-end food product??? :)

shar27-

just off Mariner two days ago, did not go to midnight buffet although they did have one. However Head Waiter said the one on Mariner would be eliminated in January 2008. Said that between the lack of participation(less than 10% of the passengers) and even less that eat it was just an enormous waste of food and labor. Can't say I disagree, while I tend to still be up at midnight the ship was generally VERY QUIET by that time every night. He did say that they would display ice carvings/decorations at a different time during the cruise. Seems like a no brainer as far as cost cutting is concerned and not one that will hurt most anyway.....

Sadly yes. There are some on the boards that want it all for a hundred bucks a day.:rolleyes:

Gordon, you're being optimistic. Look at all the threads about price drops, finding deals, etc. They want it all for $75 dollars a day (or less).:rolleyes:

Well I think some expect it all for $100 bucks a day....cause that is how the cruise lines advertise it. On the commercial they make the food and dining look 5 star...............

:D Not saying I agree with them just think that is some of what it is..........

Well I think some expect it all for $100 bucks a day....cause that is how the cruise lines advertise it. On the commercial they make the food and dining look 5 star...............

:D Not saying I agree with them just think that is some of what it is..........

Right from the website:

"Dining on our cruise ships is as exciting as every other aspect of life onboard. There are so many different dishes and enticing atmospheres to experience you won't know where to start: pasta at Portofino, classic burgers from Johnny Rockets, gourmet five-course meals in the main dining room… In addition, all of our cruise ships offer low-fat ShipShape Day Spa menus, kids' menus, and, if you arrange in advance, kosher menus. Specialty restaurants are not available on all ships. See below for more information."

Now I don't expect a whole lot from a mass-market cruise ship food-wise, but i don't like to be misled about the ingredients either (that was my earlier point) - they shouldn't "pretend" they're gourmet when they clearly aren't. There are a few real duds on the menu but we find most of their food to be good enough and we enjoy the overall RC experience. Natch I would like to try a premium line someday, though!

Gordon and Alexis, how is it that I find most of the passengers on the ships to be pleasant and fun to be with, and yet the members of this forum tend to be of the exact opposite sort? :confused: Seems, like this forum is full of people who feel that the cruiseline that they sail with is always out to screw them. They seem to believe that RCI screws them on the food, they screw them with the fuel surcharge, and they screw them by charging for Johnny Rockets. I don't get it. Why do so many seem to thrive in this kind of nauseous atmosphere?:( The topic du juor seems to change constantly, but never their negativity.

We have a continuous supply of threads that seem to revel in talking about a lawsuit against RCI, that appear on a daily basis. I truly hope that this class of people find another cruiseline to sail on, as I dread the thought of spending dinner with them at a table for a week.

jc

Gordon and Alexis, how is it that I find most of the passengers on the ships to be pleasant and fun to be with, and yet the members of this forum tend to be of the exact opposite sort? :confused: Seems, like this forum is full of people who feel that the cruiseline that they sail with is always out to screw them. They seem to believe that RCI screws them on the food, they screw them with the fuel surcharge, and they screw them by charging for Johnny Rockets. I don't get it. Why do so many seem to thrive in this kind of nauseous atmosphere?:( The topic du juor seems to change constantly, but never their negativity.

We have a continuous supply of threads that seem to revel in talking about a lawsuit against RCI, that appear on a daily basis. I truly hope that this class of people find another cruiseline to sail on, as I dread the thought of spending dinner with them at a table for a week.

jc

Actually JC just as I stated in another thread, this is the future of mass market cruising. As the ships get larger and the cruise lines lower the price this is what we have to look forward to.

Archived