Please get your facts straight before posting

dfishner

Hello to all wondering about this delectable Irish food:

Ingredients: 2 1/2 lbs medium ground pork butt, 2 1/2 lbs. fine ground pork butt, 5 cups plain bread crumbs, 4 lightly beaten eggs, 8 cloves pressed garlic, 1 tbsp. salt, 3 tsp. thyme, 3 tsp. basil, 3 tsp marjoram, 3 tsp. black pepper, 2 cups ice water. Mix thoroughly keeping cold. Stuff into casings, making 1/2 inch links or pat into small compact patties. Refrigerate overnight. Fry to golden brown.

There! Now that doesn't sound too bad, does it? See you in the kitchen, LOL.

Helen

I e-mailed Crown and Anchor and asked about some rumors. They said no live music or midnight buffets have been or are scheduled to be cut. They also said they would enforce the no-smoking policy. I specified for 7 night cruieses on Voyager class starting in Jan. 2008.:rolleyes:

[quote name='Laoghaire']Hello to all wondering about this delectable Irish food:

Ingredients: 2 1/2 lbs medium ground pork butt, 2 1/2 lbs. fine ground pork butt,

There! Now that doesn't sound too bad, does it? See you in the kitchen, LOL.

Helen[/quote]

Ok, "pork butt" doesn't "sound good" no matter what you smother it in. LOL! :p I would rather eat my pork and have NO idea where it came from. ;)

budmeister-

Well Mariner is cutting the midnight buffet in January 2008 according to Head Waiter 3 days ago. Somehow believe the guys on the ship more than the ones in an office somewhere. He simply stated that the interest in it was negligible, less than 15% participation(and that's just to look at it, less that actually eat it) and consequently the waste in both food and labor caused the decision. Now I don't have it in writing so it will be interesting to hear from people who actually cruise on Mariner after the 1st of January.....but I don't think he was just spreading rumors for the heck of it...doesn't make sense.

[quote name='Gracie115'] He simply stated that the interest in it was negligible, less than 15% participation(and that's just to look at it, less that actually eat it) and consequently the waste in both food and labor caused the decision. [/quote]

You may have something there. When I went to the midnight buffet on Liberty in Sept, there weren't many people viewing the food or watching the ice carving. It seemed like a lot of time and effort with very little payout.

Of course...if they wanted participation, they could always do all of that earlier--the same stuff, just not a "midnight" buffet. However, I'm all for not wasting resources...(and that even goes for Lobsters--over harvest the suckers and we won't have any lobsters--on ships or on shore). Now if only they would make more fuel-efficient ships... *sigh*

[quote name='Gracie115']Dianna-
Head waiter did say that they would find another way to display the ice carvings and other food "sculptures" just not at Midnight....smart decision in my opinion.[/quote]

That's good to hear--they are amazing and more people need to see them!

[quote name='xpcdoojk']The lobster as part of the fisherman's platter is not lobster, at least not the traditional lobster tails that we have always gotten in the past. This is not a huge deal to me, but the things served as lobsters are not even as large as a large shrimp.

So, get your facts straight.:D :p Trust me anyone who has eaten lobsters in the past would not be confused.:p

jc[/quote]

The lobster tail served both nights of our 13 night Grandeur repo on 11/25 WAS EXACTLY the same size lobster that was served on every RCCL we've been on. It was not smaller and was not like a "large shrimp" as some have noted. One night it came with a filet as "surf and turf" and the other it was on the "firsherman's platter." Maybe you cruised the week lobster tail was not available to RCCL and a temporary substitute was made.

[quote name='Gracie115']budmeister-

Well Mariner is cutting the midnight buffet in January 2008 according to Head Waiter 3 days ago. Somehow believe the guys on the ship more than the ones in an office somewhere. He simply stated that the interest in it was negligible, less than 15% participation(and that's just to look at it, less that actually eat it) and consequently the waste in both food and labor caused the decision. Now I don't have it in writing so it will be interesting to hear from people who actually cruise on Mariner after the 1st of January.....but I don't think he was just spreading rumors for the heck of it...doesn't make sense.[/quote]

My experience of the midnight buffet was...DH woke me up from a nap to drag me to the buffet. I was staggering along, appreciating wondrous feats of ice carving and sushi arrangement, when a rather large woman yelled at me for 'getting in her picture'. Apparently she was recording for posterity a rather sublime arrangement of grapes and cantaloupe. I was traumatized in my sleep-deprived state, vowing never, ever to return.

So I don't think I would miss it.

Wish your lobster would have been on our sailing.

Sounds like there is no obvious facts on RCI, eh...

The OP said that lobsters were still on the menu. In my case they were, but they actually weren't. Same experience the OP had, except that he/she tried to make it appear to be a different experience.

I am happy for anyone who gets a regular sized warm water lobster in the main dining room. We didn't and nobody else on our 13 day sailing did.

jc

The OP complains that one of the incorrect statements about cruising on RCI now is that there would be no live music. I don't recall anyone's posting here that currently there is no live music. What has been posted here is that rumors are circulating that RCI is considering phasing out much of its live music. To date, no one has returned from a cruise and said there actually is no live music.

In October I asked the Loyalty Ambassador on Majesty about the rumors and told him how upset I was about it. He would neither confirm nor deny that such plans are being considered. That he would not deny such plans did not allay my anxiety. I let him know I would be extremely disappointed if RCI did cut back on live music at some future time.

Just off the Radiance and I can tell you there was a lobster tail on the Fishermans platter. And yes, I've had lobster before and I know what it is. I was actually surprised at the taste of it because reading so much on these boards had me expecting much worse. It was really good. Actually the second one was better because it was served much hotter than the first:D

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Wish your lobster would have been on our sailing.

The OP said that lobsters were still on the menu. In my case they were, but they actually weren't. Same experience the OP had, except that he/she tried to make it appear to be a different experience.

I am happy for anyone who gets a regular sized warm water lobster in the main dining room. We didn't and nobody else on our 13 day sailing did.

jc[/quote]

I sailed with jc on the Navigator 13 day TA, and, for the first time since I started cruising with RCCL, they did NOT serve lobster, anywhere, anytime.

Rick

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Wish your lobster would have been on our sailing.

[B]The OP said that lobsters were still on the menu. In my case they were, but they actually weren't. Same experience the OP had, except that he/she tried to make it appear to be a different experience. [/B]

jc[/quote]

[I][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Blue"]Notice, I am quoting your entire post, even though there is only one portion of it to which I intend to respond. I have highlighted the portion in question. I will make it clear that these are my highlights, and it was not highlighted as such in jc's original post. I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]

I'm not really sure, but I think it may have really been a different experience, and not just the OP trying to pass it off as different. I have heard that they were serving langoustines on European itineraries (and possibly on the transatlantics ?), rather than lobster. In the Caribbean, they typically serve the warm-water "spiny lobster", which is not a true lobster, and can go by several different names, including "crayfish." But they are closer to the size of a true lobster than to the freshwater crawfish that are common in my area. They're a bit smaller than your average Maine lobster, but not that much smaller.

From posts I've seen lately, I suspect that's what they're still serving in the Carib., but I could be wrong. I'll find out what they serve in Feb. :D

[quote name='volleyballmom87']Ditto....

BUT, I think that the previous posters were talking about future dates (post 2008). I have no idea and it is not all that important as we are leaving this ice/snow hole in a matter of days and will be home before the "proposed/rumored" changes occur.[/quote]

I agree, because the OP had lobster on their cruise would have nothing to do with if there will be lobster starting next year. I did read that someone was emailed that there will still be lobster, yea.

Dueling pianos and a few favorite live music types have been pulled its a fact.

I dont think anyone said ALL live music was pulled, but then I dont read every thread.

All this about how posters need to get their facts straight?? Ok

[quote name='readytolose']Just off the Radiance and I can tell you there was a lobster tail on the Fishermans platter. And yes, I've had lobster before and I know what it is. I was actually surprised at the taste of it because reading so much on these boards had me expecting much worse. It was really good. Actually the second one was better because it was served much hotter than the first:D[/quote]

Iv never ordered extra lobster, not used to eating that much at one time, but maybe I should start. I do love lobster. yum!!!

[quote name='donaldsc']Lobster is a large sea invertebrate (sp?) that weighs at least 1 1/2 pounds, has 2 large claws and a large tail, and is caught off the coast of Maine. Anything else is faux lobster.

DON[/quote]
How dare you!!! What about P.E.I. LOBSTERS, New Brunswick LOBSTERS, Nova Scotia LOBSTERS, & the best of all that I've ever eaten: Newfoundland LOBSTERS that come from the coldest of waters & many fathoms down. Hard shells & full of sweet meat. (LOL) - but I mean it about NFLD Lobsters - the colder the water the better the meal. - and we cook them, in season, all the time!

[quote name='dfishner'][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3]I just got off the Navigator of the seas and want to make a few comments about some of these posts I have seen prior to my cruise. I made sure that when I was on Navigator I went looking for some of these items posters have stated.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3]I am not one of those rah rah people that state RCL can do no wrong. I tend to call it as I see it, am not sure what people motives are when they write something that is not based on facts. Since I just got off my cruise these are the facts since I saw everything that I listed.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

[/quote]

There's such a big difference between "They didn't have", and "I didn't see", it's unfortunate the way some people write their experiences.

It's also unfortunate how some people read and rely on some postings as the WOG.

This lobster debate on what lobster is and is not on RCL is interesting.. Royal has it listed as a lobster tail as part of the fishermans platter does not specify where the tail is from. If what they are serving is upsetting you write Royal and let them know about you dissatifaction about the lobster tail. From the various posts on this thread there are many definintions of what lobster is vs what royal is listing on their menu as lobster tail and that is really what the issue is. We have gone from not having lobster tail on the menu to what Royal is calling a lobster tail. From the various posts here many disagree on what Royal is calling it.

[quote name='MrPete']There's such a big difference between "They didn't have", and "I didn't see", it's unfortunate the way some people write their experiences.

It's also unfortunate how some people read and rely on some postings as the WOG.[/quote]

I have to chuckle at myself... For a moment, you almost made me use my *secret super power* (google), doh! :D :p ;)

[quote name='dfishner']This lobster debate on what lobster is and is not on RCL is interesting.. Royal has it listed as a lobster tail as part of the fishermans platter does not specify where the tail is from. If what they are serving is upsetting you write Royal and let them know about you dissatifaction about the lobster tail. From the various posts on this thread there are many definintions of what lobster is vs what royal is listing on their menu as lobster tail and that is really what the issue is. We have gone from not having lobster tail on the menu to what Royal is calling a lobster tail. From the various posts here many disagree on what Royal is calling it.[/quote]

It's kind of like thinking that 'filet of beef' on the dining room menu is somehow the same thing as 'filet mignon'... it's simply a case of miseducation about what we are eating, a confusion of terms, an ignorance of definitions... people can really get upset over their own misconceptions...

[quote name='amybear912']It's kind of like thinking that 'filet of beef' on the dining room menu is somehow the same thing as 'filet mignon'... it's simply a case of miseducation about what we are eating, a confusion of terms, an ignorance of definitions... people can really get upset over their own misconceptions...[/quote]
Perfect example!!! Definately not the same thing!

RC just needs to put quotes around all its fake menu items: "lobster", "gran marnier" souffle (orange extract souffle doesn't have as much cache, I guess), "beef filet", "tenderloin", "chocolate" anything (except the flourless choc cake in the specialty restaurants - that actually tasted like real chocolate), " 'crab' and 'shrimp' salad" (just plain bad), "lobster bisque", "prime" rib, etc. they really are using these terms pretty loosely. I guess false advertising isn't a crime on the high seas ;)

Archived