Up....Up...Upgrade Fairy!!!!

racergirl24

While I normally don’t post anything unless I have something constructive to say or help out with, I thought I would share my upgrade adventure with everyone who waits by the “online check in” for a surprise.

I am sailing out this weekend for my 2nd annual “escape” from daily life aboard the wonderful and ever so mighty Oosterdam. I have been checking the website (far too many times) for about two weeks now. After waiting what seemed like an eternity, Monday brought news of a cabin assignment. I was happy to hear that my economy priced SZ guarantee had become a mid-ship SY. It was great news just to hear that I had a room at that point. A little dust from the fairy……but wait there is more. Today I arrive home from a long shift at the hospital and realize that I forgot to write the number down. I log in again to find the “Hail Mary” of all fairy dust, the upgrade from SY to SB on the corner-aft. I couldn't believe it, so I called, checked and confirmed it. This is the first time I have heard of such an upgrade. Has anyone else seen a two bump jump? Better yet SZ to SB? I am hooked on GUAR....for life.

Congratulations on the upgrade! You never know what the fairy has in store for you/us.

We booked an SZ-guaranty on the Oosterdam last year and a few days before embarking, the HAL website showed we were in an SY. Happiness! Then, upon check-in, we were upgraded again to an SA! More happiness! So, yes, it can happen!

Enjoy your wonderful cabin and the Oosterdam!

While I normally don’t post anything unless I have something constructive to say or help out with, I thought I would share my upgrade adventure with everyone who waits by the “online check in” for a surprise.

I am sailing out this weekend for my 2nd annual “escape” from daily life aboard the wonderful and ever so mighty Oosterdam. I have been checking the website (far too many times) for about two weeks now. After waiting what seemed like an eternity, Monday brought news of a cabin assignment. I was happy to hear that my economy priced SZ guarantee had become a mid-ship SY. It was great news just to hear that I had a room at that point. A little dust from the fairy……but wait there is more. Today I arrive home from a long shift at the hospital and realize that I forgot to write the number down. I log in again to find the “Hail Mary” of all fairy dust, the upgrade from SY to SB on the corner-aft. I couldn't believe it, so I called, checked and confirmed it. This is the first time I have heard of such an upgrade. Has anyone else seen a two bump jump? Better yet SZ to SB? I am hooked on GUAR....for life.

That's great!! Come on over to the rollcall thread for the Oosterdam this weekend:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=591115

I am very happy to hear the upgrade fairy was good to you...anyone who works in a hospital deserves appreciation! We had a good upgrade on the Oosterdam last month, from a VF to a VA, and were delighted.

Enjoy your cruise:) !

Karen

Our SZ guarantee on the Zuiderdam in Dec became an SY HC cabin. That is, until we checked in. Then it became an SA!!!! I had been excited just to try out one of the smaller suites, so this was wonderful. Just down the hall from the Neptune lounge. I was sooo excited by the time we boarded, that I couldn't eat! For me, that's excited! And it was fabulous

I sure envy those who are able to be in the S suites all the time...

Barb

That is wonderful!!! I look forward to seeing you in the Neptune Lounge!

YOU WILL LOVE the perks of HAL Suites!! Take advantage of the free pressing and laundry. Also, don't forget the lovely and relaxing breakfasts at the Pinnicle too!

Congratulations, and I am so happy for you. I echo a former poster who said that anyone who works in a hospital deserves good luck (okay, not an exact quote but it gets the message across). My daughter is an Emergency Room nurse, and a "First Responder" and I admire her more than I can say. she is a far better woman than I am.

I have never ever booked a guarantee, however last year, for the Amsterdam's GWV, I was assigned a guarantee - no problemo, I was just happy to finally be assigned a cabin. However, once I got to said cabin my Cabin Steward proudly showed me that my luggage was in the room. Oh, big problemo here since it wasn't my luggage - it belonged to someone who had obviously been assigned the cabin but had been upgraded. To add insult to injury, on the desktop was personalised stationery for a couple - once again obviously not moi - shoot, they had been upgraded also. So what - I'm third choice here?:eek: :D

I had a wonderful cruise, in a very comfortable outside cabin and with the nicest, kindest Cabin Steward on the entire ship. However, from now on I'm thinking that I will just go with a "guarantee".

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy every moment.

Valerie:)

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone. Funny, I just got home from another long shift (I work as an ER nurse) and now its more news from HA....not the positive kind.

Our embarkation is delayed until 1500 for a "noro-clean". I guess I will never escape the GI problems from work! Will everyone please wash your hands??????

This public service announcement brought to you by your local ER nurse...who needs a "germ free vacation!" :)

Hi Legal,

We have booked 3 guarantees after many designated cabin bookings. Two of them were a year in advance, and one 4 months ahead. Of the two far-advanced bookings, we got one upgrade, SZ to SC, and the other stayed an SS. This latest, we booked an SC guarantee and received an SA. Two out of 3.

My opinion, and it's just that, is that booking a guarantee in a category that has fewer cabins such as SZ and SC is effective. There are quite a few SS cabins, therfore no upgrade. Also booking for dates that are not easily sold out, such as the last fall cruise to Alaska in September, and during Super Bowl week seems to have worked for us.

These, obviously are just guesses. We are Mainers with many days on HAL but that doesn't seem to matter either as I have seen many new HAL cruisers get upgrades, such as both couples at our dining table in Alaska.

GN

Thanks Racergirl24 for this thread! It has been interesting to me as I am sailing aboard the Oosterdam on the January 12, 2008, sailing. I booked a Category H (obstructed outside) cabin and noticed yesterday that I was assigned a Category VD (veranda) cabin.

Thanks for the 'noro' information too.

Congratulations on the cabin assignment and have a great trip. :)

Archived