Teeth Whitening

aandb

I went on my first cruise last March on Freedom of the Seas. There was teeth whitening available. Apparently this is a special technique. Our tablemates all got their teeth whitening and said if was cheaper than at the dentist.

We're going on our second cruise in March on Jewel of the Seas. Does anyone know if they provide teeth whitening or has anyone had this done. Please share any info. Thanks

Don't do this on a ship! You can spend $30 and get some Crest Whitestrips. They won't hurt your teeth and you won't spend a ton of money! If you want a "professional" job, you really need to see a dentist. If it's not done correctly, you can really (and I mean REALLY) hurt your dental health!

I had it done on Grandeur back in December of 05. It was an ok procedure and the results were nice. But...in order to keep them white, one would have to buy the $400+ package to take home and keep doing it every week. So...it was probably money wasted, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

:D

Everyone loves a bargain but some bargains turn out to be bad deals. If your teeth need whitening, talk to your dentist. Also, whitening can make your teeth and gums very sensitive. Imagine how a sore mouth will affect your vacation..................... :eek:

Also, I think I remember from the post a while back that you're not supposed to drink coffee or red wine for at least several days after the treatment, if that's important to you. From the information provided by CC members, I don't think people were very satisfied with this treatment.

I won a gift certificate onboard so had mine done on the Rhapsody. There was a bit of a difference but not that much. The very next day I came down with a whopper of a cold so was sick for the rest of the trip. I truly believe I got that cold from the procedure as I never have a cold. Sure ruined the rest of my trip.

Oh yeah - was not impressed with the high pressure sales tactics to get you to purchase "additional product to maintain your teeth" either.

Any whitening procedure should be done by your dentist or hygienist. They whiten your teeth by two methods either by breaking down the pigment in the protein in the second layer of your teeth or by drying out the second layer. Both of these should be monitored by your dentist not spa personnel.

Any whitening procedure should be done by your dentist or hygienist. They whiten your teeth by two methods either by breaking down the pigment in the protein in the second layer of your teeth or by drying out the second layer. Both of these should be monitored by your dentist not spa personnel.

Thanks for sharing more details about how it is done. Your explanation gives good reasons that one should be sure a dental professional is involved.

Everyone should remember like most things on the ship, services are performed on an internationally flagged ship mostly outside of US waters by foreign nationals...so unlike with licensed, certified, trained etc... folks in a US City where there is a bit more accountability for ones actions.

Buyer beware!

I would definately NOT have it done. I made the mistake of having my teeth whitened while on a cruise. With the best of intentions, but with ignorance, the person doing the process damaged my gums. I had to go to a periodontist, who was able to fix the problem, so no permanant damage done, but the cost of having it fixed far exceeded any savings. Also, the whitening didn't last as long as I would have hoped. Definately NOT worth the money.

My dentist recommended the tooth whitening strips as long as they are not used too often.

I just started using Crest Whiting Strips (its in a blue box if the name is a bit incorrect). Its been two days and I think I've noticed a difference. Not sure though. It says shows results in 3 days but your supposed to do it for 7 to last up to a year. The box comes with 14 strips for the top and 14 strips for the bottom. You do it twice a day and leave them on for 30 minutes. I haven't had any problems with them. If you have sensitive gums, and brush right before putting the strips on, it can feel a bit awkward on your gums... like a stinging but not painful more like a wow feeling.

I went on my first cruise last March on Freedom of the Seas. There was teeth whitening available. Apparently this is a special technique. Our tablemates all got their teeth whitening and said if was cheaper than at the dentist.

We're going on our second cruise in March on Jewel of the Seas. Does anyone know if they provide teeth whitening or has anyone had this done. Please share any info. Thanks

On Freedom it's called Go-Smile. It's also available on Liberty from what I was told by the Guy. I had it done with my wife because she wanted to do it and who am I to argue.:D I have to say it's a bit misleading what the spa offers. It cost $298 per couple for the Go Smile treatment and it takes about a half-hour. It intailed having two treatment of the Go Smile formula under the ultra-violet treatment. That did not do much in my opinion, maybe a slight difference in the shade of our teeth at best. Now the catch, what they didn't tell us (and I didn't do any prior research) was your teeth are then evaluated on how long you need to use the Go Smile formula after you leave the ship. We were told 6-week since we have both recently quit smoking. So I said enough and didn't buy any but my wife bought a months supply. I believe it cost about $50 a week and we were told it's about double that on their webpage. So I was a little disappointed in the whole experience whoever, I must say in the month my DW has use the product her teeth are more white. I'd be willing to say dramatically whiter. It's possible all whiteners do just as well but Go Smile has worked on her teeth. After the treatment on the ship, there is no irritation to the gums and we could eat and drink after a half hour of the treatment. The guy that did the treatment said Go smile is currently only available on Freedom & Liberty but he's working on getting it on each ship.

I haven't had it done and won't on a cruise ship. Teeth whitening should only be done by a trained dental professional. Don't trust your teeth to anyone but a dentist!

I would agree whole-heartedly with this statement.

Please remember that any 'cosmeticians' working in the SPAs on cruise ships are NOT dental professionals.

You could end up with some very severe damage being done.

Do not whiten your teeth on your cruise. See your dentist or hygienist. This procedure can make you uncomfortable especially if administered incorrectly. Also you should avoid any food/drinks which could stain a white t shirt following the procedure (for 48 hours) to get the best effect. eg. coffee, tea, cola, red sauce, blueberries. If you would like to whiten your teeth (and everyone seems to want to) then do it before you go under the guidance of a professional.

I had this procedure done when I was on the Mariner of the Seas a couple years ago. It cost me $200 and it was not worth it. I did not see a significant improvement. They also said not to eat or drink anything for 24 hours that would discolor your teeth such as blueberries, red wine, cocktail sauce, etc, etc. Well, that's not much fun when you're on a cruise! I should have used the $200 to by myself some jewelry or a new bathingsuit!!

One more thing I should mention. Do not ever watch someone having their teeth whitened. The light that is used can damage your retinas if not viewed through a filter. Notice the person whitening your teeth wears orange tinted

glasses.

I saw this being done in the Bayside Marketplace in Miami just last month and unsuspecting people were crowding around watching.

Don't do this on a ship! You can spend $30 and get some Crest Whitestrips. They won't hurt your teeth and you won't spend a ton of money! If you want a "professional" job, you really need to see a dentist. If it's not done correctly, you can really (and I mean REALLY) hurt your dental health!

This is one time I totally agree with you. My step daughter is a dental hygienist and has seen a couple of patients who have had damage done by having this done on a cruise ship or land vacation.

If you don't want to go to the expense of having a dentist do it, or at least make the tray and sell you the whitening agent to do yourself, try some over the counter product, not a stranger who isn't trained to do this. Working in a spa doesn't mean you could perform surgery, so why would you let a person working in the spa whiten your teeth?

Thanks for advice and stories of past experiences. The procedure was the GO SMILE that our tablemates had on the Freedom, but I 'll take everyone's advice and not get it done on ship. I wonder if the other teeth whitening on the other ships is the same.

Thanks everyone!!

Archived