What is the most important item you bring on your cruise?

twostacys

If there was one thing that you could not live without on your cruise, what would it be? I'm not talking about the essentials (clothing, etc.) but items that make your trip better (coffee pot, door organizers, power strips, etc.).

Of course bringing a great attitude is on top of my list :D

I leave in 2 weeks to go on my first cruise and was trying to pack as light as possible. There are so many great ideas that I got from these boards on what to pack, but I was wondering what the single most important item is that you bring with you. Thanks so much!

Sandwich bags so you can raid the Horizon Court for sandwich late at night and pack them in sandwich bags for the next day for lunch while ashore! ...please don;t continue to encourage coffee makers, expresso machines and french presses, if you all plug them in at the sametime while I am onboard...poofff it's lights out for all of us!

A travel mug for coffee! I like to bring a cup of coffee up to skywalkes to drink while reading and enjoying the view from up there. The cups in the Horizon Court are kinda on the small side so if you fill them low enough that they don't spill while walking around it leaves very little to drink once you get where you are going. We also use them on the way to the Horizon Court for breakfast. I usually swing by the lobby bar and fill up our mugs there on our way up for breakfast. The coffee there is fresh brewed and very good.

Scott

If I had to pick just one item, it would have to be my stretchy lanyard that I wear around my neck at all times except formal night and on which I hook my cruise card.

But there are several other, almost as important items that we leave in our biggest suitcase (the CRUISE suitcase) just for cruises:

A hole punch to punch the cruise card so it can be hooked to the lanyard

Over the door shoe holder, not used for shoes at all

Shower bin with suction cups and toothbrush holder with same

Insulated Starbucks coffee mug (so I can pretend it's good stuff)

Large water cup with lid and straw (to get club soda refills from the bars)

Power strip

-My favorite coffee mug.

-Rain shell.

-Hydrogen Peroxide for the cuts and scratches from my active sports.

-Swiss Army knife with scissors and corkscrew.

-Small day pack.

-Bubble wrap for purchases.

-Mp3 player and headset.

-Laptop computer for digital picture and video storage.

-Combination sunscreen and insect repellent.

Sorry for the list, but I need them all.

John

All mine have been mentioned, but you can never underestimate the value of a good corkscrew!! ;)

Travel alarm clock is a must. (My mother and her cousin slept through their shore excursion in Florence! A valuable lesson for us all!)

First aid kit to include Bonine, bandaids and cough drops! Also check the condition of your shoestrings. Had mine break in the Med. Very annoying. On my last cruise I lost a screw from my prescription sunglasses. Amazingly the boutique had one of those fix-it kits. It will travel with us from now on.

But the very best thing to bring is flexibility and a good sense of humor!! :D

Not to sound like a germ freak, but I always bring pocket sized bottles of hand sanitizer and keep it in my purse or husband has it in his pocket. We use it often--better safe than sorry. I also have wet wipes (individual packets) that come in handy for cleaning the salt spray from our (eye) glasses.

Judy

Baby wipes that I carry in my bag when we go off shore. Wine opener and bottles of wine to last for a 7-day cruise. I decided against bringing a coffee maker. Every gripes about the coffee--it takes like burnt rubber to me. I'm a 1-cup a day coffee drinker so I think I'll switch to drinking tea for the cruise. Bottled water (large), then I fill the empty bottle up on the ship and take with me when we go ashore. The taste of Evian is :eek: and it's $$$$. My curling iron.

Besides all the organizers and handiwipes etc the very favorite thing I bring are my super cushiony slippers. Nothing feels better (well almost nothing) after a day of traipsing all over the place than to take a shower and slip those soft little pillows on my toes. :)

My Wife!!

Ron

Husband of the Year Award for you sir and the correct answer to the question. Additional not as perfect answers might be:

Duct/Duck tape for those quick mending jobs

Solid air freshener for the bathroom

Plug in night light to find the bathroom

Multi tap recepticle rather than power strip

Spirit of adventure

Patience

and binoculars

Don't need:

Hole punch for the lanyard/cruise card combo. The ship has one in the gift shop where lanyards are sold.

A couple of clothespins for keeping the curtains shut and for hanging bathing suits to dry, travel alarm clock/sound machine (available at travelsmith or sharper image) a couple of suction hooks to hang beach bag, purse, hats, etc. small (6 pack size) softsided cooler to take on shore ex. Lots of money & credit cards. We leave in 6 weeks & it can't get here soon enough!

Archived