Questions about bringing liquor on board (merged)

wow- I never thought to pack in beer

I dont consider myself a "cheapskate" until I am charged $25 for a six pack of coors.

Regarding the dead horse comments: First of all, no personal offense taken. I actually think it is funny(especially the little smilies beating on the poor horse).

But notice the number of comments I have posted- hence I am new to the boards. If you are reading this, and as new as I am, have you ever really searched the boards for a topic? Sometimes the results are exhausting... perhaps I just need more practice-

Also, for all of you long time cruise critic board writers: kudos, thanks, etc! Your information is SO valuable. You are so fortunate to have dozens of cruise experiences under your belt. Consider your comments as a 'service' to those of us who are novice. Hence, we are your customers.

A great retail manager once complained about hearing the same question over and over again- until one day he realized- How was this new customer suppose to know the answer to a question that he had explained to someone in the past? The boards DO offer an opportunity to review old threads, but really, is it a crime to get a fresh perspective?

As often as the alcohol policy has apparently changed, it is valuable to ask the question again. In 2005, I could purchase a bottle of liquor on board Majesty, pay an extra $9 and take it to my room. I had planned my upcoming cruise with the same understanding until visiting these boards.

So what I ask for myself and the other newbies is for some patience. The topic of this thread was clear on the RCCL list. If it is tiring for you to read this, then dont open the thread. Or open it and explain what you understand. It might be considered 'customer service' to refrain from insulting those of us ignorant of current rules and policies.

Thanks again for all the information.

From the eyes of a newbie...Well said

It's no wonder so many people "smuggle" alcohol on board! This is a ridiculous price for beer! Do they xray your bags when you come back onto the ship from the ports?

You'll just have to pour your beer supply into those sandal flasks mention earlier in other alcohol thread but definately avoid the doggie poo if you resort to this.

wow- I never thought to pack in beer

I dont consider myself a "cheapskate" until I am charged $25 for a six pack of coors.

Regarding the dead horse comments: First of all, no personal offense taken. I actually think it is funny(especially the little smilies beating on the poor horse).

But notice the number of comments I have posted- hence I am new to the boards. If you are reading this, and as new as I am, have you ever really searched the boards for a topic? Sometimes the results are exhausting... perhaps I just need more practice-

Also, for all of you long time cruise critic board writers: kudos, thanks, etc! Your information is SO valuable. You are so fortunate to have dozens of cruise experiences under your belt. Consider your comments as a 'service' to those of us who are novice. Hence, we are your customers.

A great retail manager once complained about hearing the same question over and over again- until one day he realized- How was this new customer suppose to know the answer to a question that he had explained to someone in the past? The boards DO offer an opportunity to review old threads, but really, is it a crime to get a fresh perspective?

As often as the alcohol policy has apparently changed, it is valuable to ask the question again. In 2005, I could purchase a bottle of liquor on board Majesty, pay an extra $9 and take it to my room. I had planned my upcoming cruise with the same understanding until visiting these boards.

So what I ask for myself and the other newbies is for some patience. The topic of this thread was clear on the RCCL list. If it is tiring for you to read this, then dont open the thread. Or open it and explain what you understand. It might be considered 'customer service' to refrain from insulting those of us ignorant of current rules and policies.

Thanks again for all the information.

Some people on this board seem to enjoy riduculing others, they obviously get their jollies from it and really need to get a life. This was a great response to that. Enjoy your cruise very much.

Yes they do X-ray checked luggage for prohibited items and may note and follow up on any large liquor bottle type images they see. Like I and others have mentioned earlier go with mini bottles.

I would like to bring a few inidividual servings of wine. Do these bottles constitute "mini". Otherwise, i was thinking of packing a box of wine. thoughts? :o

I would like to bring a few inidividual servings of wine. Do these bottles constitute "mini". Otherwise, i was thinking of packing a box of wine. thoughts? :o

Either should be fine. We have taken beer/wine/champagne/booze for years in original containers and never have had it taken. This will be the first time I am using the rumrunner flasks, but will still take a bottle of champagne and some beer in their regular containers. I like the little single servings of wine, and if I could get the wine I like in a box, i would take that, but the boxed wine is just to much for me so I like either just one bottle or the little minis. Just get what works for you

have fun

Some people on this board seem to enjoy riduculing others, they obviously get their jollies from it and really need to get a life. This was a great response to that. Enjoy your cruise very much.

i agree. it was a great response. i'm the one who started this thread (10 lashes with a wet noodle for me!) but like the "newbie" said, it's great to get a new perspective since the rules change so often. and the reason i started the thread was - yes, i read the rules, but i was wondering if people were able to manage to get past the rules and still bring a few bottles on board the explorer of the seas. years ago i used to drink white zinfandel,sutterhome - and it is about 3 or 4.00 a bottle in the liquor store - it is 25.00 a bottle on the ship!!!!! i can only imagine how much they will charge for a nice bottle of wine that i prefer these days. that was 6 times the normal price. this is why i started the thread. :-)

i know that some of our questions seem repetitive but we would appreciate responses in the spirit they were asked and don't really care for being ridiculed for asking such an old question. some people need to stop taking themselves so seriously and realize that these boards are great fun and full of very valuable information.

So if we are leaving from San Juan, Pan Am pier. Where is the best place to buy these mini's and a good variety at a good price. We will be in Old San Juan the day before the cruise, so we could also shop there. Are there quite a few liquor stores or will we need to search??

In OSJ on Plaza de Armas at Calles San Francisco and Cruz, there is a Walgreens (no alcohol beverages), another drugstore across the road from it that sells liquor, wine and beer and a Pueblo supermarket where you can pick up sodas, bottle water, wine, beer and other supplies.

If at the Pan Am cruise terminal on Isla Grande in nearby Miramar on Calle Ponce de Leon there is a Walgreens and a Pueblo supermarket (at 670) where you can shop. If taking a taxi to the ship there, Ponce de Leon runs parallel to Baldorioty de Castro expressway ( # 26 ) that goes to Isla Grande from the Luis Munoz Marin airport ( SJU int. ). It is the main drag in Miramar, so the taxi driver will know where to find these stores there and it is not out of the way. You could easily stop and have the taxi wait while you stocked up at either. They are about two blocks apart and the Pueblo has the better selection of the above.

Assuming they pick up some bottles on the x-ray on embarcation, is it just the Alcohol they confiscate or does the suitcase containing the suspect item (and your clothes) get locked away until completion of the trip? If they keep the whole suitcase it could be pretty annoying!

I would expect that where they pick up a strange item, you'd have to open the luggage for them and prove that it's an OK item e.g. mouthwash. If it really was wine/spirits they'd just confiscate it -with the option of kicking you off the ship.

Is anyone aware of a passenger having been made to "walk the plank" for attempting to smuggle drink on board.

I'm not sure how it is done but why not start a new thread as a poll with the following question and response options....

If YOU have brought personal alcohol on board a RCI cruise in the last 12 months was it....

• Confiscated from checked luggage
  • Confiscated from carry-on
  • Confiscated from either and you were denied boarding
  • Enjoyed in the privacy of your stateroom

Done every three months or so as a rolling total this would not only show the odds of success but the trends in enforcement. If you don't post a comment it would also me anonymous. Although for those who have had stuff confiscated some details about how they carried it (plainly or disguised/hidden) might shed light on what does not work.

OK....I figured out how to make a poll. Now let's have some data!!:cool:

so, did you start the poll?

i'll join in

"Enjoyed what I brought on Board on my balcony" Carried an entire suitcase full of booze on the Caribbean Princess". We were allowed to bring on wine, so we used the boxed wine and replaced the wine with vodka,scotch,rum,gin".

Yeah but I guess now you can't even bring wine on board. Pretty hilarious idea though. Did you notice my avatar? I just wish RCI would get with the program and let you order a bottle from them when you get on the ship so you can have a before dinner cocktail in the room. I would not even mind paying a higher price. Just let me do it.I also like a good bottle of wine and have found what they offer on board to be way over priced and not a terrific selection. Those rum runner bags are sounding like a better and better idea. I must say in the caribbean we have carried on 2 bottles at ports without them being confiscated but that was on Princess.

so, did you start the poll?

i'll join in

"Enjoyed what I brought on Board on my balcony" Carried an entire suitcase full of booze on the Caribbean Princess". We were allowed to bring on wine, so we used the boxed wine and replaced the wine with vodka,scotch,rum,gin".

I've been reading all of these threads and I just wanted to make sure that I understand correctly. Are you allowed to bring any alchol on board. The first time I cruised, about 4 years ago I'm pretty sure we were allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine with us.

No, it is not illegal to bring alcohol on a cruise ship, but the cruise lines do not allow it. If you want to bring your own, ofter referred to as smuggling, you can wrap it up in your suit case and bring it aboard. You are right that they use to allow you to bring wine, but they no longer allow this.

No, it is not illegal (assuming you are of legal drinking age and you purchased the alcohol). No laws are broken by bringing alcohol onboard, and you cannot be arrested.

It is, however, against RC's rules. That's not the same as being illegal.

Right now it is "frowned on". Many people do smuggle it on-board and not get caught. Others get caught and lose their bottles to the Homeland Security personnel for their next Christmas Party. :p

Now before someone takes this Homeland Security sentence serious, like the limited number of shoes joke, this is a JOKE! I have no idea what happens to the bottles of liquor that is confiscated nor do I care. I prefer to buy my wine onboard and not get caught.

Archived