Swimsuit drying tips

CruisinMermaid

I remember when we sailed on the Elation last year that there was nothing in the cabin to hang our swimsuits on to dry. On Holland America they had the retractable clothesline in the shower that we could pull out to hang things on to dry. I was hoping the Elation had this too. We sail next month and so I'm trying to get everything ready to bring. Does anyone have any tips for drying swimsuits?

I live in an apartment and use clip type clothes hangers on the shower rail to dry my gym clothes and swimsuits. These are the kind that are used to hang shorts, trousers or skirts. They don't take much room in the suitcase and they're cheap enough to abandon if you don't want to take them home.

Every cabin I've been in, including E52 & E56 on Elation, had the clothesline in the shower.

Some will say to put them out on the balcony, if you have one, but I'm pretty sure they don't want you leaving anything out there that your inconsiderate neighbor may accidently catch on fire by flicking their ashes or tossing their lit butts.

I just take two suits. The first is usually dry enough to wear a 2nd time later in the week, if needed.

Every cabin I've been in, including E52 & E56 on Elation, had the clothesline in the shower.

That's interesting. We stayed in E182 last year and there was no clothesline in our shower :confused: We're staying in E199 this time. I hope they have one in there. We also brought two swimsuits each but with a family of four sharing one bathroom there was not enough places in there to hang swimsuits in to dry. They never dried fast enough.

They have dryers onboard too in the laundro-mat, I bet that would be even better, because you toss in a dryer sheet and make them smell a little better and not be stiff from the salt water. I haven't used them, but I'm sure it isn't too much if you put them all in at one time.

I bought a little drying rack at the buck store. It is a little round plastic frame with clothespins on it and a hook to hang it up. I hang it in the shower. I can hang 2 bathing suits on it and it collapses flat for packing.

Some will say to put them out on the balcony, if you have one, but I'm pretty sure they don't want you leaving anything out there that your inconsiderate neighbor may accidently catch on fire by flicking their ashes or tossing their lit butts.

I just take two suits. The first is usually dry enough to wear a 2nd time later in the week, if needed.

Do not hang anything on the balcony. It's a pretty hard and fast rule and you can get in trouble for it. Also, not likely it would stay without tying it down. I hang mine and DH's in the bathroom and they easily dry overnight. On Princess we had a clothesline, I can't remember on Carnival, but I think we did. Otherwise, just hang them on a hook, anywhere that air can circulate around them and they'll easily dry overnight. Your cabin is dryer (humidity wise) than the outside anyway.

Rinse it in the sink, roll it up in a dry towel like a jellyroll, squeeze for a few seconds, unroll and hang on door hook. It'll be dry in the morning.

That's great advice but doesn't work if you've got four swimsuits to hang up. We tried hanging our swimsuits on door hook and towel bar but with too many items sharing a hanging place it didn't dry fast enough.

The dryer in the laundromat and the round clothes hanger sound like great ideas.

I live in an apartment and use clip type clothes hangers on the shower rail to dry my gym clothes and swimsuits. These are the kind that are used to hang shorts, trousers or skirts. They don't take much room in the suitcase and they're cheap enough to abandon if you don't want to take them home.

Like the kind the stores hang pants and shorts on? Great idea!

That's interesting. We stayed in E182 last year and there was no clothesline in our shower :confused: We're staying in E199 this time. I hope they have one in there. We also brought two swimsuits each but with a family of four sharing one bathroom there was not enough places in there to hang swimsuits in to dry. They never dried fast enough.

I was on the Elation 2 weeks ago E119........No clothes line there

I like the Door Hook idea the best

Don't put your suits in the dryer...you'll ruin the elasticity!

Go for the hanging rack.

Although we haven't been on the elation every other ship we have been on has had the clothesline.

Payd:)

Lets try this again... If I don't have a clothes line handy (or not enough room), I just drape a towel over any surface that can handle being slightly damp and put the swimsuit flat on top of that. The towel catches drips, and wicks moisture from the suit, letting it dry even if it's humid. Turn it over when the top is mostly dry to let the bottom dry as well. And there are plenty of surfaces you can use for this in a cabin - back of chair, side table, desk, desk drawers, closet door, hanger rack in the closet, your suitcases, etc...

Archived