Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thanks, Martincath, that's exactly what we were thinking. I just wasn't sure what Vancouver traffic would be like on a Friday afternoon. We will take a cab. No need for the comfier ride. We're already treating ourselves to the PP, so no need to go overboard (so to speak) with a limo.

Like Martin, in almost 50 years of commuting to and from downtown to YVR I have never had a cab fare vary much. The route, unlike many cities is on mainly city streets as Vancouver does not have freeways, so if there is an accident or construction cabbies are pretty knowledgeable about getting around the problem via side streets. So unless you really want to arrive at the Pan Pacific in style, a taxi will do you very well.

Could you please advise me as to the closest place to pick up a bottle of wine before we embark at Canada Place -- thank you.

The closest place is the BC Liquor Store that is located in Harbour Centre which is located at Cordova at Seymour St. which is about 3 blocks from Canada Place. The store is closed on Sundays but I note that you will be in Vancouver on a Saturday so that won't be an issue.

I just read there was a rather strong earthquake here, hope all is well.

Earthquakes are quite common in BC but usually are of a magnitude that cause no damage and are often not felt....however we are constantly being warned to be prepared for the "big one". We had been in Vancouver yesterday and after returning to Sechelt we went out for diner, I did feel a bit of a bump and I wasn't even sure that it was a quake but it was just enough to cause me to look at the exposed wooden columns and beams and wonder if they would be adequate to withstand a real quake. :)

Like Martin, in almost 50 years of commuting to and from downtown to YVR I have never had a cab fare vary much. The route, unlike many cities is on mainly city streets as Vancouver does not have freeways, so if there is an accident or construction cabbies are pretty knowledgeable about getting around the problem via side streets. So unless you really want to arrive at the Pan Pacific in style, a taxi will do you very well.

Thank you, again, Putterdude! I think for the half hour drive, we can save a few dollars and arrive in a lesser style.

Besides, we need to save some money in case we need a cab to get us back to the PP after having that coq au vin and spaetzle that Martin told me about earlier!!!:D

I would like to ask a question about the trolley. I may buy an Entertainment Book which has some coupons I would use and see that there is a BOGO for the trolley. I want to do this mainly because if I understand correctly it will allow me to get off at certain points in Stanley Park and get back on. Does the transit also do this? We are thinking of eating dinner at the Fish House but I see the trolley picks up there at 6. What would be the best transportation in this situation?

I would like to ask a question about the trolley. I may buy an Entertainment Book which has some coupons I would use and see that there is a BOGO for the trolley. I want to do this mainly because if I understand correctly it will allow me to get off at certain points in Stanley Park and get back on. Does the transit also do this? We are thinking of eating dinner at the Fish House but I see the trolley picks up there at 6. What would be the best transportation in this situation?

Well neither mode is going to work very well for you if it's dinner you are thinking of, transit it makes but one stop in the park and that is at the Rose Garden which is a fair walk to the Fish House and Vancouver Trolley makes it last stop and pick up at the Fish House about 4 pm. Walking in the park after dark is something I have trouble recommending so it really requires a taxi.

Only one transit stop inside the park, at the bus loop (close to Rose Garden).

Transit stop nearest Fish House is not too far away, but certainly not as close as the trolley stop - most of the park is unlit at night, but the part with the Fish House is fine because you're right on the edge near regular streets. Closest bus stop is about 700 yards away on Beach Avenue, used by the local Community Shuttles C21/23 (which connect to Skytrain down in Yaletown, and may be OK to get near your hotel depending where you're staying). Unless you already have a day pass/multipack of transit tickets, a taxi may be just as cheap for your group (if you have 4, cab is almost always cheaper than transit around the downtown core; 3 is cheaper for many trips; 2 rarely unless it's a really short hop of under a mile or so).

A caveat about the Fish House though - it's overpriced for the quality and IMO basically dependent on out-of-towners for trade. Not that the food is bad, but you're paying a premium for the location and not even getting much of a view to support it, unlike say Seasons In The Park run by the same folks which has sweeping panoramic views from the highest point in town.

Unless you get incredibly lucky on your table, you'll see nothing but some grass and trees. If watching amateur lawn bowling or tennis is a plus for you though, you might find the location excellent (no disrespect to either sport, I've partaken in both and thoroughly enjoyed!)

Personally I would always recommend Cactus Club Cafe at English Bay if you're in that area - every seat in the house has a view of the bay (some of the bar stools would force you to turn around I guess...), the food is at least as good as Fish House, much more innovative, and cheaper.

Another option to consider for those that fly in a day before...stay at a hotel in Richmond instead of near Canada Place or downtown. Many of these hotels have free transportation from the airport to hotel and from hotel to cruiseship terminals. We like Delta Inn. We live an hour from Vancouver, but like staying at the hotel the night berfore a flight goes out (and they have free parking for up to 2 weeks), as this sets us in the mood for "holiday begins" without the feeling of "rushing" to get somewhere for our holiday. This hotel has a nice pub/restraunt that overlooks the waterway heading out to the ocean.

I agree about restraunt experience. The Cactus Club is just as good.

Edited by Semi Retired

Thank you for your responses. We are actually staying at the Blue Horizon. It seems to get good reviews on here and the price was good for a Superior Queen. I was looking at the Cactus Club on Robeson. Would you recommend that one?

People do like BH. CCC on Robson is one I haven't dined in, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of the locations as one of the hallmarks of CCC is their consistency across the chain - think of them as the McDonalds of Fine Dining. Staff are all well-trained for consistency in cooking & service and there's encouragement to complete a formal 'Red Seal' apprenticeship for the chefs.

OTOH the pricing is basically identical across the board, so why not dine in one with a view? As well as English Bay, you'll undoubtedly end up at Canada Place - and there's a CCC on Jack Poole Plaza (with the Olympic flame) with great views to the North Shore. If the weather sucks or you just can't be bothered to walk far, the one on Robson should do you just fine though.

OTOH the pricing is basically identical across the board, so why not dine in one with a view? As well as English Bay, you'll undoubtedly end up at Canada Place - and there's a CCC on Jack Poole Plaza (with the Olympic flame) with great views to the North Shore. If the weather sucks or you just can't be bothered to walk far, the one on Robson should do you just fine though.

Agree with martincath. If you're out and about anyway, try one with a view - either English Bay or the one near the Olympic Flame. Both are great for people-watching and nice areas for a stroll after dinner.

Are taxis available at the airport 24 hours. Our flight is not getting in until around 11:00 p.m. Since this is my first time flying I am assuming that there is signage to where the taxis are available. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

DH and I will have 2 full days to explore Vancouver before our cruise. I definitely want to do Grouse Mountain and Capilano Bridge. I had been looking at the HOHO bus/trolley but I think that there are free shuttles from Pan Pacific (home for 3 nights). If we were to do both in one day, is there a better way to do the two? Mountain and then Bridge? Bridge and then Mountain? How do you get from one to the other? And would public transit be better than the HOHO with a day pass or maybe just pay the fare? There is so much information, that my mind is befuddled. Thank you for helping to clear it. :D

DH and I will have 2 full days to explore Vancouver before our cruise. I definitely want to do Grouse Mountain and Capilano Bridge. I had been looking at the HOHO bus/trolley but I think that there are free shuttles from Pan Pacific (home for 3 nights). If we were to do both in one day, is there a better way to do the two? Mountain and then Bridge? Bridge and then Mountain? How do you get from one to the other? And would public transit be better than the HOHO with a day pass or maybe just pay the fare? There is so much information, that my mind is befuddled. Thank you for helping to clear it. :D

If you're doing the Suspension Bridge and Grouse - don't miss the Capilano Dam and the salmon fishery. It's all one road. First the bridge, then the dam and then the mountain. All were my play place as I was growing up. I loved all the trails going from the dam down to the fishery.

Are taxis available at the airport 24 hours. Our flight is not getting in until around 11:00 p.m. Since this is my first time flying I am assuming that there is signage to where the taxis are available. Thanks!

Yes, Vancouver airport is a major international airport with 24 hour operations.

The other option is the Skytrain (elevated/subway) train from the airport to downtown. Cheaper and generally faster than a taxi.

Yes, there are taxis at YVR 24/7 you will have no trouble getting a cab.

If it's nice & clear in the morning, I'd do the mountain first as without having nice views down over Vancouver you're not getting the full experience. OTOH if it's a bit dreich but weather is supposed to clear up, to bridge then mountain. If the whole day looks good, and you're willing to stay out quite late, sunset from Grouse can be quite spectacular so again bridge then mountain.

Shuttle to the first one, then use transit (the 236 bus runs along Capilano road between the two) to get to the other. If you're up there for sunset you'll need to take transit back to Vancouver (or a cab) as the shuttles won't be running - the 236 gets you to Lonsdale Quay where you take the Seabus back over the Vancouver (included in the Transit system); but if you are coming back early enough you can take the other shuttle back downtown. Either way your total transit spend will just be $2.75 per person (even if it's a weekday, you're not crossing any Zone boundaries as both the bridge & mountain are inside Zone 2; if you stay out to sunset you'll be coming back after 6:30pm when the system goes to a single Zone fare anyway).

As to HOHO - with a full day over on the North Shore, you only have 1 day to use HOHO. Transit is cheaper, more frequent, goes more places - but doesn't give you commentary and you need to do a bit of research on routes. HOHO is extremely easy, visits all the big hits around downtown, you will (hopefully) enjoy the commentary.

A thought, since you're focusing on outdoorsy attractions already - if you're big garden fans you will need to transit or cab to Queen Elizabeth park/Van Dusen and this area could eat a whole morning or afternoon, further diluting your HOHO value.

Edited by martincath

Would the Skytrain go to the Blue Horizon?

BH is a bit further than most folks would care to walk from Skytrain I wager, at least while dealing with luggage (just under a kilometre).

You could transfer to a bus (no 5 along Robson) but our city buses are most definitely NOT set up for tourists with luggage. If you're arriving at a quiet time (weekend, late evening) you'd do OK (the buses are low floors for wheelchairs, so getting cases onboard isn't too hard - there's just nowhere to put them!)

IMO the best combo of price/ease for 2 people with luggage is to get off Skytrain at Yaletown-Roundhouse station as there is a taxi rank right outside on Davie St. A cab from here to BH is only covering 2 kilometres, so a fare of under $10 - even if you're buying one-shot tickets with the airport surcharge that's $15.50 offpeak/$18 peak plus the cab (~$2 less for over 65s). With 3 or 4 of you, just cab it all the way - it'll cost less (c.$35 from YVR to BH).

Greetings fellow cruisers!

My mother and I will have 1 day in Vancouver post cruise in May. Staying at the YWCA hotel near BC Place. Buying a day pass for transit.

1. Nearest White Spot with transit access.

2. Nearest Timmy's so I can get my double double.

3. Approximate cab fare from the YWCA hotel to the Amtrak station. We have to be at the station at 5:30am to take the train. (Yes, the train not the bus.)

Thanks for the help.

My mother and I will have 1 day in Vancouver post cruise in May. Staying at the YWCA hotel near BC Place. Buying a day pass for transit.

3. Approximate cab fare from the YWCA hotel to the Amtrak station. We have to be at the station at 5:30am to take the train. (Yes, the train not the bus.)

Thanks for the help.

I'm not a Vancouverite, but I googled Tim Hortons, (and fast food) near the Pan Pacific to give me a heads up for the summer!

Answers in red.

Granville & Drake is closest, but transit stops that service this location are quite far from the hotel. Minimum walking distance to use transit would be the W Georgia branch down near Stanley Park.

Walk up Robson less than 500 yards. Or up Beatty and round the corner. There's also a Timmies near the train station for your last fix pre-boarding (the Robson location is 24 hours though so you could get one there too).

At that time of day traffic is a non-issue, so cab fare for the 1.5km trip will be under $10, probably including tip.

Thanks for the help.