Beware Concierge Class Room misrepresentation (dishonesty?) on Costellation

tpode

We have just returned from the Feb 29 cruise on Constellation. We booked

a Cat CC Concierge Class cabin (8108). As it turned out this cabin has only

1/2 of a balcony since it abuts a penthouse suite and the rail angles inward.

It also has a partially obstructed view. This is not shown on the deck plan. When we discussed this with the guest relations manager he agreed with

what we said and stated "We,ve had problems with this in the past, as well

with one or two similar cabins". Inspite of this Celebrity apparently continues

to sell this as a full verandah, and worse, as Concierge class. We did receive

a modest shipboard credit after three days after the manager "checked

with the head office" which did not, however make up for the fact we did not

basically have use of a balcony. No room even for a table.

Constellation otherwise is a fine ship and the rest of the cruise was good.

Not a good way to treat frequent cruisers (20). Next cruise will probably not be with Celebrity.

we also got burnt with one of these next to a suite--it had a really tiny pie shaped balcony--room for 1 only & the suite guests could look right into our cabin from their glass windows..it was truly awful...we really had no balcony enjoyment for that cruise l...

we never complained--but immediatley switched out of that same cabin which we had booked for another cruise... Celeb was so surprised by the switch & not all sympathetic--almost an incoveneinece to change our room number... now we never book near a suite--

I know it's a little late, but next time you cruise, don't hesitate to check these boards about the room you've booked.

This problem has come up numerous times. Not much X is going to do about it, but with forewarning you can change cabins ahead of time.

Did you book this as Gty or did your TA assign you to it. If your TA did this, I'd make sure to tell them they reccomended a bad cabin for you.

Since the Celebrity Suite next to that cabin quite obviously juts out I am not surprised that you had a partially obstructed view. The balcony too small for a table would be distressing...such a nice place for breakfast. Its seems that Celebrity went the distance, acknowledged your complaint, issued a credit and the rest of the ship was good. So...why would your next cruise not be with them? Not a cheerleader...just curious.

I would also be upset, and in your shoes I would probably send a letter to X summarizing your complaint. If anything, they should be sure this is appropriately noted on the deck plans!

I've heard so many complaints about this particular cabin that I'm sure Celebrity is aware of how people feel about it. I think they are just trying to get away with hoping passengers will be ignorant when it comes to realizing this is a cabin with a VERY undesirable balcony. As long as they can sell it at regular CC prices to unsuspecting passengers, they will continue to do so. And if they have to suck it up and "gift" a small OBC, they probably would rather do that than discount that particular cabin for all sailings.

Jo-Ann

I feel sorry for you. If Celebrity has been told repeatedly that this is a disappointment to people, the least they could do is remove it from the CC category, where one presumes that folks are expecting "a step up" from a regular balcony experience, not a diminished one.

Boy, that picture tells it all. I would be SO disappointed to find that on my long-anticipated vacation! IMHO, an OBC doesn't begin to cut it. I am sorry this happened to you--and let the buyer beware!!

I have recently discovered seatguru.com for selecting airplane seats--wish there was something that easy to use for cruise cabins! I know the info is there for those who know how to find it. . .you just have to really do your due diligence when booking!!!

It would be nice if the cruise lines/TA actually told the TRUTH to their clients. and in the Advertisments, expecially those on TV.

Personally I am sick and tired of being told "you should have done your own homework" as an excuse for poor service, and down right lying.I do not pay a fee only to have to do the work involved for myself.

It would be nice if the cruise lines/TA actually told the TRUTH to their clients. and in the Advertisments, expecially those on TV.

Personally I am sick and tired of being told "you should have done your own homework" as an excuse for poor service, and down right lying.I do not pay a fee only to have to do the work involved for myself.

There are some things that the cruise line should tell you and this balcony is one of them. There are others where you should do your homework. I don't know how many people I have seen complain upon coming back from a Celebrity cruise to find out there is no dinner buffet or 24 hour buffet dining. That is something you have to do your homework on....

We have just returned from the Feb 29 cruise on Constellation. We booked

a Cat CC Concierge Class cabin (8108). As it turned out this cabin has only

1/2 of a balcony since it abuts a penthouse suite and the rail angles inward.

It also has a partially obstructed view. This is not shown on the deck plan. When we discussed this with the guest relations manager he agreed with

what we said and stated "We,ve had problems with this in the past, as well

with one or two similar cabins". Inspite of this Celebrity apparently continues

to sell this as a full verandah, and worse, as Concierge class. We did receive

a modest shipboard credit after three days after the manager "checked

with the head office" which did not, however make up for the fact we did not

basically have use of a balcony. No room even for a table.

Constellation otherwise is a fine ship and the rest of the cruise was good.

Not a good way to treat frequent cruisers (20). Next cruise will probably not be with Celebrity.

It is really appalling that Celebrity does not advise cruisers about this sliver of a balcony.

I hope that they gave you a cruise credit equal to the difference between a CC and an oceanview, for each person in your stateroom. That would be the very least you deserve, and frankly, I wouldn't think that was enough. If you had wanted an oceanview stateroom, you would have booked one. How unfair, and DISAPPOINTING, to arrive and find that cruel joke of a balcony. Wonderful breakfasts on our verandah is one of the main reasons I always book Concierge Class.

Honestly, I am not a drama queen in any way, but I think I would have had to create a real scene over this one!

Here's a link to a picture of that balcony which can accomodate one person. Celebrity should be ashamed to sell this as a CC cabin and those booking it should be aware.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21886&d=1148049364

That's not a balcony, it is not much more than a ledge!!!:eek: If I had paid the $200 per person upcharge for a CC cabin over a std 2A I would have been outraged as well and a paultry OBC would not have come close to "fixing" the situation in my mind.

Hi Jimsgirl :)

I agree with you. One of the reasons why people use travel agents is to get advice that is not obvious from reading a brochure. In this day and age when travel agents are no longer needed to book a cruise, and information is so readily available on the net, you would think that a TA would make it their mission to be an invaluable source of information.

Does anyone know if the Summit CC cabin 8163 balcony is acceptable? I've looked at the deck plan and am now wondering if this is one of those like 8108 that should not be sold as CC class. :confused:

You'll be fine in 8163...not to worry, it's nothing like 8108.

Jo-Ann

This is interesting. Does anyone know about Celebrity Constellation Concierge Class Cabin #8079? We switched from 9081 as I read that has a problem balcony. Hope the new one is okay.

I agree that these cabins next to these suites should not be sold as CC cabins. Like an above poster said, at most they should have been made into OV cabins and then from that point on started the CC's. But, as to just paying a fee and expecting Celebrity to tell you the exact points of the particular cabin you are reserving, you are being naive. The customer service people most likely don't have a clue anyway. I am only going on my second cruise (I don't count my first one since it was so long ago and I wasn't the one that booked it) and since finding this board, as everyone else has here, I have been able to find out about all of the 'best' and 'worst' cabins to book. It hasn't been very hard either. So, if you have enough time to come on here and complain, you had enough time to ask a simple question. Sorry to sound harsh, but a lot of people seem to think that all they have to do is just pay their money and expect to get just what they had pictured in their mind. It just doesn't always work that way. Sometimes you have to learn to be responsible for yourself.

:eek: Having looked at that photo..good grief..no wonder you were angry!

Did you measure the square footage? I would have! If it falls below what they advertise in the brochure..I would think seriously about taking some kind of action. I cannot believe that photo... I dont care who, what, why etc.. no one but no one should be sold that cabin as a concierge class cabin! Thats disgusting! I think I would have been angry even had I booked a normal balcony cabin with that size.

Not often I say it but shame on you Celebrity for that one!

This was the shot I took out of the window of Celebrity Suite 8106 to balcony 8108 on Constellation. It is a shambles that X sell this for the same price as any other Concierge Class cabin. As I get older I seem to become more anal with information and that includes airline seats on Seat Guru that was mentioned earlier by CathyCruises. I can live with being anal if it saves the disappointment the OP suffered.:(

2073062620054958397S500x500Q85.jpg

Phil

Oh for goodness sake...that pic...good grief! Thanks from all members Phil for posting that pic. Perhaps, all of you who have these pics could head a big warning thread with the apppropriate cabin numbers for future forum participants who can be warned.

I am shocked at these pics.. I cannot imagine how I would feel! We have a suite and sometimes I know I think we have drawn the short straw getting one of the "smaller" balconies but when I say "smaller" I mean, less square footage than the select few with larger balconies. We have booked a concierge cabin for our daughter and boyfriend on a future cruise with us, I know she would be heartbroken if she turned up to this.

I think the OP should get a free cruise!!!! I NEVER EVER say that! BUT..that balcony is simply appalling...really really shocking!

CELEBRITY... DO NOT do this to your customers, its just not nice!!!!:mad:

Im not surprised these cabins are labeled as cc....it seems as though Celebrity has used the CC label as a way to upgrade some cabins that arent as desirable. Look where the majority of CC cabins are on the M class ships..under the pool deck and overhang. It is a shame though.

Archived