All Things Freedom of the Seas!

How risky is the Flowrider? DH wants to do this (he's 49 and fit) but I keep picturing him hobbling around the ship on crutches, with me doing everything for him:eek:

He says he's not going to stand, just do the boogey board thing...but I know him better than that! (He has bungey corded, and jumped out of planes numerous times)

Am I going to be an orthopedic nurse on my anniversary cruise???

What can happen? All there is is water and padding.

What can happen? All there is is water and padding.

Some people look like they hit that water and padding pretty hard (on youTube, anyway!) and on another thread awhile back, someone mentioned a few people on board with broken legs from it.

Have you tried it?

Some people look like they hit that water and padding pretty hard (on youTube, anyway!) and on another thread awhile back, someone mentioned a few people on board with broken legs from it.

Have you tried it?

No, I haven't tried it, but there are people who have broken bones from getting out of bed. There are also people who fall out of buildings on to padding with no injuries at all (stunt people). I'm not interesting in surfing, so that is why I haven't tried it. The "danger" issue never entered my mind. I don't think it is dangerous at all.

I have rock climbed and gone down speed slides into water.

We are leaving for our first trip with RCI on the Freedom in February and we are so excited! I love this board - there is so much info out there that is so helpful. I can't get over how many serious cruisers there are out there! Gotta love it!

We are leaving for our first trip with RCI on the Freedom in February and we are so excited! I love this board - there is so much info out there that is so helpful. I can't get over how many serious cruisers there are out there! Gotta love it!

I've been studying these boards furiously. I have obtained a WEALTH of information here, it's amazing. I'm hoping by the time we embark in April, I'll know the ship top to bottom!:D

I've been studying these boards furiously. I have obtained a WEALTH of information here, it's amazing. I'm hoping by the time we embark in April, I'll know the ship top to bottom!:D

Just take great care of her as we will be boarding as you are disembarking :p

• 2 weeks later...
Hello FOS folks! It looks like we may end up on this wonderful ship for the 12/27/09 Western Trip. We're still hammering out some of the details, but I hope to be booked in a week or so.

Thanks for all of the great information and reviews throughout this thread. I can't wait to start the planning (and waiting).

We're going the week before! This thread has been so helpful in learning about the ship! Thanks for all the tips and pointers and pictures.

How risky is the Flowrider? DH wants to do this (he's 49 and fit) but I keep picturing him hobbling around the ship on crutches, with me doing everything for him:eek:

He says he's not going to stand, just do the boogey board thing...but I know him better than that! (He has bungey corded, and jumped out of planes numerous times)

Am I going to be an orthopedic nurse on my anniversary cruise???

I would not worry to much if DH is healthy and ok. I am an overweight, have arthritis and I did the body surfing with no problems at all. When you fall off, you bounce of the back a little bit, but I didn't even get a bruise or anything. It might be that the surfing where you stand up could cause more problems if you fall and twist something, but as said it is very cushioned and lots of water. I would not worry to much.

HELP! WE are sailing on the FOS on 3/22. I have two cabins booked at F class...Large OV (no Balc) cabins are 6202and 6502. The are at the VERY front of the ship.

My mom is travelling with us and she is a senior I just checked rates and there is a senior rate for the next two lower levels. So we would be on deck 2 or 3 in a regular OV room.

I would save about $1000!! :eek:

What does everyone think?? I have three teens with me (14, 16 and 18) my hubby and mom. Two kids with mom in one room and one with us in our room.

I was liking the extra room in the Large OV, but is it really a difference? Waht about the decks? Deck 3 seemed OK, but the TA told me it might be loud.

HELP I think I need to decide fast. Do you think that there will be a discount on our current room?

Janet

HELP! WE are sailing on the FOS on 3/22. I have two cabins booked at F class...Large OV (no Balc) cabins are 6202and 6502. The are at the VERY front of the ship.

My mom is travelling with us and she is a senior I just checked rates and there is a senior rate for the next two lower levels. So we would be on deck 2 or 3 in a regular OV room.

I would save about $1000!! :eek:

What does everyone think?? I have three teens with me (14, 16 and 18) my hubby and mom. Two kids with mom in one room and one with us in our room.

I was liking the extra room in the Large OV, but is it really a difference? Waht about the decks? Deck 3 seemed OK, but the TA told me it might be loud.

HELP I think I need to decide fast. Do you think that there will be a discount on our current room?

Janet

The senior discount requires one person in the cabin be a senior, so your mom and one of your children would get the discount on your mom's cabin. Your other child, the third person in that cabin, would not get a discount because discounts apply only two the first two persons in a cabin. Unless you or your husband is a senior, you would not be entitled to the senior discount on your cabin. You are not eligible for a senior discount simply because you are traveling with someone (your mom) who qualifies; someone in each cabin must qualify.

As far as the likihood of a discount becoming available on your current cabin, it's a crapshoot - maybe yes, maybe no - dependent on supply and demand. Bear in mind that many discounts (other than senior or residency) apply to new reservations only, in which case you wouldn't be entitled.

If your TA noted that deck 3 might be noisy, it's up to you to decide if you want to take chance. Hopefully, someone here on the boards who has stayed in a cabin on deck 3 will offer some firsthand knowledge.

Good luck.

Anyone have advice on the best aft balconies on FOS? 1700/1400 look like great ones...any experience? Advice?

Also, how's the vibration aft? I know it's no comparison...but on Sovereign, when we were in the dining room, which is aft, we could really feel and hear the vibrations. I was thankful we didn't have staterooms near there!

Thanks for the help!

Lynnette

I would not worry to much if DH is healthy and ok. I am an overweight, have arthritis and I did the body surfing with no problems at all. When you fall off, you bounce of the back a little bit, but I didn't even get a bruise or anything. It might be that the surfing where you stand up could cause more problems if you fall and twist something, but as said it is very cushioned and lots of water. I would not worry to much.

Thanks for the info:)

Check out this video on the Flowrider!

Great video...the staff makes it look so easy!

Hey all! I had to chime in since Freedom is my absolute favorite ship (well so far)

Here is a link to the Freedom Gallery

http://www.freedomoftheseasmedia.com/gallery.php

Here is the link to the Freedom interactive website

www.freedomoftheseas.com

I have all kinds of pics from Freedom. We stayed in GS 1298 if anyone needs pics of that.

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863-1.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Can I have pictures of your GS cabin? We are booked into 1248 GS for our Freedom sailing in December with our 11 month old. So looking forward to it. By the way, do you know if he'll be welcome in the concierge lounge? We'll of course keep him on his best behaviour & he is so easy going & good natured anyway. Thanks!!

I received an email and this is part of it:

Now that you've reserved your cruise, how about enjoying some freedom of choice in your dinner options. On select ships and sailings+, we're featuring My Time DiningSM** in our Main Dining Room.

This great new option allows you more flexibility to plan your daily activities. Want to linger awhile at the pool and catch the day's last rays? No problem. Worked up an appetite on a shore excursion and want to dine early? Done. Our My Time DiningSM option is all about convenience and flexibility. You can choose to dine between 6:00 and 9:30 pm each evening. In addition, we will accept reservations once onboard the ship.

Ready to reserve? If you've reserved through a Certified Vacation Planner or on the web simply call (800) 590-6218 or email openseating@rccl.com (please include your reservation number and the number of guests in your party.)** If you've reserved through a travel agent please contact them directly.

Here's some additional information to keep in mind:

Dinner is served in the Main Dining Room

Same menu as traditional seating

Same impeccable service as traditional seating

Must pre-pay gratuities to participate - this includes tips for your waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter and stateroom attendant

Guests will not receive a table assignment or permanent table mates

You will have the ability to request a certain waiter (subject to availability)

My Time Dining waiters share their gratuities amongst the other My Time Dining waiters; feel free to reward your waiter with an extra tip for providing excellent service

You will be seated with the party you arrive with; you can request to be seated with other guests or alone

To provide you with a smooth, non-disruptive meal, once dinner service begins for your table, no additional guests will be seated

Reservations are recommended in order to avoid a delay in seating (reservations will be taken once onboard)

When reserving your cruise, you will need to provide your reservation number and the number of guests participating in the My Time DiningSM option

Offer is subject to availability

+Available on the following ships and dates:

Brilliance of the Seas

February 22 - December 21, 2008

Freedom of the Seas

October 15, 2007 - December 28, 2008

Serenade of the Seas

March 8 - December 27, 2008

Jewel of the Seas

June 16, 2008 - December 29, 2008

Radiance of the Seas

June 20, 2008 - December 20, 2008

Independence of the Seas

July 26, 2008 - December 27, 2008

** My Time DiningSM is subject to availability, you must prepay your gratuities to participate, and for group reservations My Time DiningSM is only available for groups of 20 or less.

Search is down again...

Where is the Concierge Lounge located? This is my first time as Diamond on a ship that has one:) Can you bring lattes, etc back to your cabin?

Unless you are in a suit you will be using the Diamond Club located on deck 14. Your DC key will also get you into the ice show. Enjoy :)

cocoabeana: You can sign up for "My Time" dinning or stay with main or second seating as assigned on you ship pass.

I didn't use it but it seemed like those who did enjoyed the choice.

Unless you are in a suit you will be using the Diamond Club located on deck 14. Your DC key will also get you into the ice show. Enjoy :)

Do I really have to wear a suit?:D ;)

Is the CL and the Diamond Club different?:confused: I thought that all Diamond/Diamond Plus members can use the CL whether or not they are in a suite. (We're in a JS...I know that doesn't count as a suite)