Our Friend Is 7 feet 2 inches tall. Can he Cruise?

MikePowers

A very dear couple and friends of ours are wondering if there is any popular cruise line where her husband who is 7 feet 2 inches call could enjoy a cruise without banging his head through out a ship. They also have concerns about the height of a cabin as well as the shower and toilet area. Does anyone have any suggestions and cruise lines for them to consider?

I apologize sincerely for this one if it offends.:o but...........

He should get a ride on one of the Tall Ships.:D

• 8 years later...

I was on a cruise this week on the Disney Dream. My cabin which was an outside cabin with a balcony had a ceiling height (floor to ceiling ) of 7'. Obviously a person who is 7'2" will not do well on the Disney Dream. Maybe a suite??

Although he's nowhere near the 7' mark, my son is 6'4" and his feet hang way off the Princess beds. He says it's a little uncomfortable. I've heard they have a bed extender but that it really cuts down on the clearance around the bed so we've never requested it.

Using a shower in a mini-suite is really inconvenient for him. The stand-up shower stalls work much better. The showers in the spa area might be a good choice.

I am vertically challenged, so I have little to contribute other than to note, that the mini-suites are going to be a problem, as there really is a step up into the bathroom, and then the tub/shower sits on top of that raised floor, so if the ceiling height starts at 8 ft., standing up in the shower is not going to be possible in a mini-suite. There are great showers in the spa area, and the bottoms of those are the same level as the regular floor. They are larger and more comfy, IMHO.

This step up arrangement in the bathroom area is also the case in suites and window suites.

I'm sure the gentleman in question has spent the majority of his life adapting to low doorways, etc. At only a hair under 6' 2" (before I got old and shrunk even more) I had to deal with it a bit and the OP is talking about someone much (much!) taller. I grew up with my grandparents and I learned to shave in kind of a crouch to see in the mirror. Their back porch had a low roof and I never even noticed until later when someone mentioned it that I automatically made a "duck to the side" kind of bending maneuver when walking off of the back porch.

The person in question is used to beds that are too short, doorways that are too low, etc. Ceiling fans are a major obstacle. I agree that the shower on ships will be an issue as it is so low and has very little room in which a large person could crouch. As others have said, the main areas of the ship will mostly be fine as the ceiling is very tall but I really can't think of how high the main passageways are in the cabin areas. "Maybe" 8' but I can't really remember. It does seem to be a sort of standard height for rooms on land but I'm thinking the ceilings in the passageways might actually be lower. I've heard people complain of problems because they were very short but I think the problems faced by the very tall are likely more significant. Even at my modest height I have tried to walk through a sub-standard doorway while wearing a ball cap and found myself with a major headache and sitting on the ground below a set of 4' high stairs simply because the bill of the hat kept me from noticing that the doorway was not at a normal height. A very tall person would have to be aware of this issue with every doorway no matter where it was. Not fun to deal with.

I'm thinking that if chengkp75 sees this thread you may be able to get some more accurate info on the height of ceilings, showers, etc.

A very dear couple and friends of ours are wondering if there is any popular cruise line where her husband who is 7 feet 2 inches call could enjoy a cruise without banging his head through out a ship. They also have concerns about the height of a cabin as well as the shower and toilet area. Does anyone have any suggestions and cruise lines for them to consider?

Saw a bloke on Diamond a basketball player I'd suggest, must have been 6' 8" or more.

I think this is right. My brothers are 6'8" and 6'5". The taller one already knows that life at that height can be challenge, and knows, after several serious bumps, to watch doorway and ceiling heights, to request aisle seats on planes, to hope to heaven that his suitcase isn't delayed because there is no way that he is going to find clothes or shoes in an "average" store or cruise ship gift shop to fit him. I think that someone 7'2" tall will have to stoop a bit to shower and sleep at an angle on the bed to maximum length, but these things won't be that much of a surprise.

Just a thought for your taller brother when flying-could he take a carry-on bag with a change of clothing and extra tops? I'm thinking a carry-on sized suitcase. I have the Antler brand in white, and there's a zipped screened compartment in the upper half when opened with the wheels on the lowest side. I found this very useful for containing underwear, toilet bag, hosiery and a clean top in case I spilt something on myself and had to change. The case will go in the overhead locker, and you have some clothes if the main case is delayed. Just a thought, you've helped me with your wise advice and I wanted to help if I could.

I agree with others. The challenges on the ship will be nothing new to this gentleman. He's faced them all his life. He likely doesn't give it a whole lot of thought at this point.

The most significant challenge will be the bathrooms, as it is usually a step up (about 6") from the rest of the cabin, but if memory serves me correct, the ceiling is the same height.

At just under 6' I find the shower (which is another 2-3" step up) an ego boost. He'll likely call it something else.

Others have said the ceilings are 8'. I think they might be slightly lower. Standard heights in a house are 8'. I'd say they might be more like 6" lower. I haven't been on a ship in a bit though, so I might be off.

The three lines I have cruised all have had pretty standard cabins. I don't think there is a line that caters to taller passengers.

For whatever it's worth, the 2016 USA Olympic basketball teams used a cruise ship as their hotel in Rio. I don't remember hearing a lot of complaints except for maybe short beds. I believe the ship was the Silversea Silver Cloud. So it was not Princess or a mass market cruise line. Having never cruised on this type of ship, I don't know if the ceilings or showers were taller than a normal ship. But that ship certainly worked for some very tall people.

At 7'2", would he qualify for an accessible cabin which is usually larger? It would appear to me that his height is a handicap in a standard room. Limitations come in all sorts, sizes, and forms.I would ask your chosen cruise line about this since they are the final authority.

No 'opinion' here will give you a definitive answer to the question.

Considering this thread is 8 years old, it's possible the gentleman in question has shrunk an inch or two by now. :D:D

This is hilarious. I replied to the thread, saw your post and promptly facepalmed.

Since the conversation has been revived, hopefully it's at least helpful to someone. Here's my two cents:

As others have said, many suites tend to have higher ceilings. Depending on their budgets, tall cruisers might want to consider two-story (read: expensive) suites like those found on Cunard's Queen Mary 2 or on Royal Caribbean's Oasis- and Quantum-class ships. While the bathrooms and sleeping areas could still be a bit of a problem, at least the living areas have tons of head room. It likely also depends on how much time they want to spend in their cabin. If they plan to be out and about, it's probably not worth the expense.

He should be playing basketball.

I am a 5'7" female and being single, and always cruising with a friend or DM, the beds are always set up as twins. I find my feet hanging off almost every night, so I saw a very tall man on my last cruise and asked him if he had any problems and he said no. Maybe he was married and he sleeps diagonal on the bed. THAT would be my concern along with doorways, cabin ceiling heights, etc!

• 2 weeks later...
For the record, I just measured cabin ceiling height on the CB- 6'"-10 3/4" in

L101

Now to correct the record. I was using DW's fabric tape measure and didn't realize the zero point is inset a bit. The actual cabin height is 7'-0" and the Bathroom height is 6'-8". Of course clearance under light fixtures is a few inches less.