Where do Regent cruisers stay in Venice?

poss

I've looked at the Venice posts on the "destinations" section of CC and looked, too, at Trip Advisor postings. But I'm particularly interested to learn where Regent folks stay before/after their cruise. We don't know Venice at all (haven't been there in more than 4 decades), and I'm concerned about making our way (with luggage) to the hotel post-cruise. Ideally would love just to book post-cruise hotel and transfer with Regent, but afraid that's likely to be prohibitively expensive. Still, I'm interested in hearing from people who've gone that route as well as booking on their own.

Our priorities: room/hotel as quiet as possible; good location for sight-seeing and pleasant strolling; decent size room and bathroom (prefer shower stall to bath); need king bed or separate (not queen). Possible for around $400?

Many thanks!

The Bauer Il Pallazzo is listed as one of the Regent extended stay add-ons. I haven't stayed there...yet...so I can't say if it's worth the expense. It's pricey by US standards, but it's Venice!

You will not find a room at any of the top hotels for $400, especially with the current exchange rate. Check out places like Ca Pisano or Ca Sagrado which are luxurious smaller hotels well located and less expensive than the Gritti, Bauer Il Palazzo, Cipriani or San Clemente Palace.

We stayed at the Westin Regina and Europa in 2005 and before that my husband stayed at the Hotel Danieli. They are related properties. Rooms, amenities and everything were exceptional. You can use Starwood Points to stay at those properties. They are 6***** and well located.

I highly recommend Palazzo Sant'Angelo. It is a small but luxurious hotel on the Grand Canal. We woke up to the sound of birds chirping in the courtyard - lovely. Beautiful bar overlooking the Grand Canal. Walking distance to everything, and has its own private pier. It's a member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World.

We stayed at the Hotel Antico Doge for 3 nights prior to a cruise:

http://www.anticodoge.com/en/index.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d233889-Reviews-Hotel_Antico_Doge-Venice_Veneto.html

We had a most comfortable stay there and I would recommend it highly provided you acquire one of their bigger rooms.

What we did was to take a bus from the airport to the Piazzale Roma which is the main vaporetto (water bus) station. We had previously packed enough clothes for 2 persons for 3 nights into one suitcase and left the other suitcase at the left luggage depot at Piazzale Roma to make us more mobile (left luggage depot was on the street front on the opposite side of the square from the ticket office but was cheap and reliable).

We then caught a number 1 Vaporetto to Ca’ D’Oro and walked down to the hotel (5 mins). And had a great stay in Venice. The hotel is close to the Rialto Bridge and there are lots of cheap and good restaurants near by (and lots of expensive ones).

Picture of Front entrance of hotel:

HotelinVenice.JPG

On departure we then went back to Piazzale Roma via Vaporetto 1, picked up the other case and caught free shuttle cruise bus down to the embarking dock.

Have a good time (learn a little Italian - it will help).

Many thanks for the replies. I've already further researched a few of the suggestions and found that the rates are way higher than $400 (we'll be going in high season).

We absolutely don't require a "top" hotel, and we tend to be turned off by "fancy" and "luxurious" accommodations (tho we love the Voyager!!) Biggest priority for us is that the room be quiet; that's more impt than great view or elegant furnishings.

I'm also more than a little concerned about the trick of getting from the ship to the hotel (dh is near 80 and fit, but still...) When we disembarked in Nice a few years ago, it was a snap to make our way to the wonderful Hotel La Perouse (which was a fraction of the cost of doing the ship post-cruise deal and we liked our hotel much better than the ones Regent was using). Venice, though, would be a different cup of tea.

Thanks again for suggestions. Am pursuing. And hoping for more.

Poss, check out http://www.cadeidogi.it, a very small boutique style hotel, in an excellent area for touring (near St. Marks Sq., Doge's Palace etc). 9 of us are heading to Italy/Austria for a land based 3 weeks in August/September, and I booked this hotel for my group based on a recommendation. It fares well on trip advisor as well, and it's inexpensive! I say, do as I did and give it a shot, we've nothing to lose! Good luck.

My wife and i also stayed at the Antico Doge on the advice of a board member. We had the junior suite with the canel view. Given the pricing we encountered at places like the Bauer or the Danieli this was a great choice. room was large, price included a nice european breakfast. As the other "recommender" indicated it's a short walk to the Rialto Bridge or to water taxi stop for the Grand Canal.

We started in Venice and overnighted there. One of our highlights was the night gondola tour....you might want to see if they still offer it.

I've looked at the Venice posts on the "destinations" section of CC and looked, too, at Trip Advisor postings. But I'm particularly interested to learn where Regent folks stay before/after their cruise. We don't know Venice at all (haven't been there in more than 4 decades), and I'm concerned about making our way (with luggage) to the hotel post-cruise. Ideally would love just to book post-cruise hotel and transfer with Regent, but afraid that's likely to be prohibitively expensive. Still, I'm interested in hearing from people who've gone that route as well as booking on their own.

Our priorities: room/hotel as quiet as possible; good location for sight-seeing and pleasant strolling; decent size room and bathroom (prefer shower stall to bath); need king bed or separate (not queen). Possible for around $400?

As someone else previously mentined, Regent uses The Bauer. We are doing Venice to Barcelona on 6/17. When we booked this cruise I originally booked the Regent pre-cruise package and then started doing some research. This was way back, about 8 months ago. I actually booked the Bauer directly on their website for less than $400 a night but I think we are on the cusp of high season. You might want to check with them directly.

Hello...

Locanda Orseola (top-rated B&B in Venice) has opened within the last year a new hotel www.alponteactico.com right on the Grand Canal. The price might be more too your liking; the rooms are lovely. The amenities are extraordinary. It's like a home away from home with the same service as the Orseola.

A room without a canal view would be quiet. There is direct access to the hotel with a water taxi from airport or ship.

murphysmum;)

I'm checking and cross-checking all of these good recommendations. Truly appreciated!

I tend to care much more about the individual accommodation, by the way, than about the "public" areas of a hotel. Don't need glamorous lobbies, bars, fancy restaurants. Do very much care about spacious rooms and bathrooms. And mainly quiet and restful-- more impt to us than the views.

When I look at some of the photos of the ornate beds and sofas in the rooms, I wonder whether they can be genuinely comfortable, or whether comfort is somehow sacrificed to design. I suppose that a mattress can be very comfortable even if a headboard is gilded.

The other thing I've got to try to find is a bathroom with shower stall-- or at least a glass door for the tub. Definitely am turned off by shower curtains (and by the kind of set-up where water goes all over the floor when one tries to shower).

Also: individual a.c. controls in rooms-- but all these sorts of details I'll of course inquire directly with the hotel.

I guess my biggest concern remains how we'll manage to get from ship to hotel. Private water taxi, I assume, which still has to be less expensive than booking a Regent post-cruise.

Thanks so much!

You can get rooms for less than $400 (or certainly not much more) at the Sheraton Des Bains on the Lido (I'm not certain it's still a Sheraton, but was the last time we were there). You may remember this hotel from the movie version of "Death in Venice" (Thomas Mann did set his novel there too.)

We have stayed there many times, after our room at the otherwise excellent Monaco & Grand Canal was broken into and items were stolen (an inside job, we're convinced). The rooms are large (if in need of some updating), the breakfast (buffet plus a la carte for made-to-order eggs) is large, varied, and excellent, and the swimming pool is large and beautiful (though not heated). A minivan to the CIGA Excelsior 5 minutes away and then a 15-20-minute water taxi-like shuttle takes you back and forth to Venice every 30 minutes or so (from about 8 am to late in the evening), with multiple different Venice stops. What we do during warm weather is spend the morning having a relaxed breakfast and a swim/sunbathe by the pool, and then go into Venice for lunch/sightseeing/late dinner. Or you can spend all day in Venice and return for dinner at one of several quite good restaurants on the Lido.

Make sure to get rooms IN THE BACK (facing Venice, not the beach), which are much quieter than rooms in the front. Definitely an option.

jdc: That is the right (corrected) website. I followed through on those two properties owned by the same folks. Both look very nice. As does Antico Doge and some others. How does one choose?

I keep coming back to the question of how we're going to get there. My husband has become a reluctant traveler at his age (no blame), so it's important to me to secure accommodations and such that make our travels as smooth and painless as possible. Always glitches of one sort or another when one travels, but I try hard to keep them at a minimum.

Why are you wondering about this other hotel, by the way? If you were returning to Venice, would you not be inclined to book the one where you enjoyed your other stay? How'd you get back and forth to ship and airport, if I may ask.

Poss:

I would gladly stay at the Antico Doge again when in Venice. We took the water taxi from the airport (it's a short walk from the terminal) and also took the water taxi to the ship. Not cheap (over $100)...but they dropped us off a few feet from the front door of the hotel and at the cruiseship dock. I'm not the most adventurous person when hauling 4 suitcases.

As to why I was interested in the ad: we had thought about the B & B before deciding on the Antico Doge...so, I was interested in seeing what the hotel looked like.

I've been reading this thread with interest and wondered if anyone had ever heard of 'NH Manin Hotel, San Marco' as we have booked there for a couple of nights before our Venice/Istanbul cruise on Voyager. I have no idea where it is or what it is like but find it fascinating to read reviews which contradict each other completely. It would be helpful to know if we must be prepared for expensive transport from the airport. Also, is it likely to be anywhere near where the Voyager will be berthed? Thanks in advance for any information.

I've been reading this thread with interest and wondered if anyone had ever heard of 'NH Manin Hotel, San Marco' as we have booked there for a couple of nights before our Venice/Istanbul cruise on Voyager. I have no idea where it is or what it is like but find it fascinating to read reviews which contradict each other completely. It would be helpful to know if we must be prepared for expensive transport from the airport. Also, is it likely to be anywhere near where the Voyager will be berthed? Thanks in advance for any information.

I don't have any first hand experience of that hotel but it is in a good location. You have the choice of transport from the airport. Water taxi, bookable at the airport, fast, expensive for one person but not too bad for a group. Regular service water bus to San Marco, slow but not expensive. Both water trips interesting and really the best way to approach Venice. Finally you can travel overland via taxi or public bus along the causeway to Piazza Roma, then vaporetto to San Marco. Quite tedious with luggage.

The cruise berths are some way from San Marco. Vaporetti or water taxi are the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Poss,

Regarding hotel, we had a great experience 2 years ago at the Metropole hotel, facing the Grand Canal. We got a great rate becuse we went in August , which is low season for hotels. They have their own pier.

My parents came from the airport in a water taxi. They contracted with

http://www.venice-limousine.com as they wanted to have a price upfront and have somebody waiting for them at the airport. They also brought us at the end of our stay from the hotel to the train station.

I arrived to Venice by train and also took a water taxi to the hotel. Years ago I did the vaporetto and then walk to my hotel with lugagge, but this time I didn't want the hassle. I think the water taxi is money well spent, especially if your hotel has a private dock.

We are staying at the Westin Europa & Regina. We almost stayed at the Danieli, but the negative Tripadvisor comments killed that idea.

We loved the Europa & Regina! Huge room, separate dressing room and huge bathroom. We had a very quiet room with 'view' over rooftops. Grand Canal rooms were much more expensive.

I just did a check and the cheapest rooms seem to be over 450 euro (ouch!)

Steve.

I've only been to Venice once, June 2007. We stayed in the Hotel Antiche Figure and would do so again. The room was large and clean, the price seemed right, the staff was friendly, and the location was within easy walking distance of water taxis, train station and bus / taxi service to the airport. We even walked with our luggage from the cruise ship terminal to the hotel (although I must admit I probably wouldn't do that particular walk again).

John.

Archived