Live! From the Tahitian (end of May)

jebush

Jeff,

Thanks for the updates. Tell Patti not to worry about the Princess Patters unless she scans them when she gets back and then you can post them for everyone.

It's a shame that they cancelled the Kodiak tour. We had scheduled that as well and we will wait to see if they pick up another tour to replace as the other offerings are a little weak. Since you spent your time wandering the city, did you notice any private tour guides around the pier area that were looking for customers? This might be a solution for us.

Looking forward to hearing your views on Sitka and Victoria. Hard to believe your cruise is over in 3 days.

Greg

Jebush thank you for the review. We just got off the ship 2 weeks age. We did 3 weeks on her. To answer some one elses question the ship does move a little. The reason is they don't fully extend the stabilizers. Would you please tell the band Rhapsody that the couple that dance to them for 3 weeks said hi. They are a very good band & we miss not dancing to them.

Hi there - since you just got off the ship, can you tell us how big the Internet Cafe is. Someone mentioned only 2 computers. We were hoping not to bring our laptop.

Di

Hi,

Thank you for all the posts. Can you tell me about the ship's laundry? Can you do it by the bag? How much can you fit in the bag?

Thanks,

Maria

There are passengers laundries on the ship, so you can wash regular load sizes in the laundry room. We don't trust the ship always to have detergent, fabric softener and stain removal items avaialble, so we travel with a smalll laudry kit that includes highly concertrated detergent, fabric softener sheets, tide to go, and a shout stain stick. Also a roll of quarters.

If you want to have the ship do it, you put the items in the bag, fill out the slip indicating what is in the bag, and how you would like it done (startch, light starch etc). Pricing is per piece and it not cheap. Also the bags are paper so there is a limit concerning how much you can jam in there to take advantage of a special.

Our experience with laudry is that they handle the non-delicates pretty well - pressed and lightly starched unless otherwise indicated. They did a great job on a silk twinset I have, but did something entirely different with one of my favorite silk blouses - not pressed, washed not dry cleaned...??? I guess it depends who is doing the laundry that day. We send sports wear to the laundry, and take our more delicate items to the laundry room, and do them ourselves.

Hi there - since you just got off the ship, can you tell us how big the Internet Cafe is. Someone mentioned only 2 computers. We were hoping not to bring our laptop.

Di

For a picture of half of the computer room, go to http://fp.caribill.com/

select "Inside" under the Tahitian Princess name

and go to picture 011 in the slide show

very nice albums...thanks for posting.

I will be curious to hear the routing of the ship between Sitka and Victoria. The itinerary map on the Princess website indicates inside passage sailing, but it would be much more direct to route the ship along the outside of Vancouver island. The Tahitian princess does not appear on the ship tracker website for some reason.

Thanks so much for the pictures - now we know what to look forward to on board. If only the weather will cooperate from Junew 12 - 26.

Diane

very nice albums...thanks for posting.

I will be curious to hear the routing of the ship between Sitka and Victoria. The itinerary map on the Princess website indicates inside passage sailing, but it would be much more direct to route the ship along the outside of Vancouver island. The Tahitian princess does not appear on the ship tracker website for some reason.

As a Vancouverite in the know, the ships always come back through the inside passage to give the ship protection from the open sea. The ships have never gone on an outside route to my knowledge.

Di

Hi again,

An attempt at a few things . . .

Yes, 8 computers. Never been a wait ever. Typically slow connection by times, but otherwise fine (and better than previous cruises). I think it's open 24 hours, but have only used during normal hours.

Twice during the cruise, they've had a special: as much as you can stuff in one of THEIR laundry bags (sorry - no idea how big that is) for $20.00. Otherwise, yes the passenger laundry is open.

Today (day at sea) is last formal night: lobster! Yesterday (leaving Sitka), crab legs (said "King" but must be pretty small). Still, very good so no complaints.

The smaller ports (Kodiak, Valdez, Seward) do not have a lot to do as far as in-town shopping. Most people did the ship tours. There were independent tour operators in Kodiak, although I don't know anyone that took them. Sitka: I think there was a few, but I wouldn't want to trust it, as I didn't see much offered. This was our first trip to Sitka and we were surprised that it was as big as it was. Didn't have enough time (yup, we tendered - so that limited our time - plus we were only there from 7:00 - 4:00 [had to be on by 3:30]). Pretty town, though.

Several people have commented (I know that Really Irish is writing on this cruise on our old thread - and someone else is writing on the thread for the next cruise - I think IrishJayne) that Juneau - second last port - has the cheapest prices. We didn't necessarily see this, but they DO have the biggest selection.

IF you're interested (we were!) in the Iditirod, Libby Riddles is still coming on board all Princess ships in Juneau (3:30 on this cruise). We personally think this a wonderful, but we're big dog lovers. It's about an hour presentation. She brought 2 dogs with her (no on board, but close to the ship before the talk), so we got to meet two of her sled dogs - beautiful animals! Anyway, it was a treat for us.

Weather has continued to be decent. HOWEVER, one little irritation for anyone on the 3rd floor: they have closed our portholes (big iron or steel covered) due to captain's orders. They've done that twice. It sucks not being able to look out. You can open them on your own, but the steward DID say he had instructions "from the captain" to close them. A small annoyance, but an annoyance just the same.

I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with the motion - maybe we've just been lucky. Also, it really hasn't rained much - just Kodiak, and only part of the time there.

Interestingly enough, it LOOKS like we are NOT doing as someone mentioned and doing the inside 'passage' around Vancouver Island. Dunno why, but the navigation map they have out for us shows us going UP that way but DOWN the ocean-side to Victoria (tomorrow).

I'm afraid that I'm pretty well out of information. I may get a chance tomorrow to write, but can't count on it. I hope someone will do something similar on the next cruises as I'LL be interested in reading YOUR thoughts on this cruise! We know people that aren't happy because of the size of the ship, but we really liked it. Not for every cruise, but for a change, it was fun and we'll do it again! You get to know some of your fellow passengers well as well as many of the staff (several of which are getting off either at the end fo this voyage or the next).

Best wishes to all and happy (cruisin') trails!

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks so much for spending the time writing about this inaugural cruise. It has helped all of us who will be following you onboard in the next few months.

I do not understand people who are not happy with the cruise. Didn't they realize that the T.P. is a much smaller ship! That is the reason we have booked her and we now only go on the ex "R" ships. We have just finished a fantastic 35 day cruise on one of her sisters, Oceania's Nautica, and loved every minute of our time onboard. When we board the T.P. in September, it will be our 4th cruise in a row on this size ship.

Jennie

Welcome back, and hope you enjoyed the last few days of your cruise...it really seemed to fly by (but I bet ours will feel even faster!)

I would be interested in hearing about how the US Direct program worked out for this ship/itinerary.

Thanks again for taking the time to keep us updated!

Well, the Tahitian Princess is now back in port, at Canada Place. I saw her this morning when we pulled into the underground parking lot and decided it would be worthwhile to be 30 minutes late for work to go up and take a look!

Wow! What a great looking ship. My initial comment was, "She's so small!" One day we'll have the time to do a 'longer' trip on the Tahitian Princess...

Thanks for posting the updates about this (unique) 14 day r/t Alaska itinerary from Vancouver :)

Hi again,

IF you're interested (we were!) in the Iditirod, Libby Riddles is still coming on board all Princess ships in Juneau (3:30 on this cruise). We personally think this a wonderful, but we're big dog lovers. It's about an hour presentation. She brought 2 dogs with her (no on board, but close to the ship before the talk), so we got to meet two of her sled dogs - beautiful animals! Anyway, it was a treat for us.

I hope someone will do something similar on the next cruises as I'LL be interested in reading YOUR thoughts on this cruise!

Best wishes to all and happy (cruisin') trails!

Jeff

Jeff - thank you for the info on the timing of Libby Riddles talk on board. We missed her before due to excursions so I will double check and make sure we can be back on board in time - grew up with large dogs - love sled dogs.

We sail on Sept 4, which will be the final Alaska cruise for TP for the season, but I will definitely post. I really appreciate that you took the time during your cruise to share so much with us - it has only increased my anticipation for this wonderful voyage.

Hope your travels home are safe!

Thanks so much again.

Ginger

Well, the Tahitian Princess is now back in port, at Canada Place. I saw her this morning when we pulled into the underground parking lot and decided it would be worthwhile to be 30 minutes late for work to go up and take a look!

I'm heading down in 10 minutes. We have friends just boarding today, hope to see them on the OS Balcony :)

Westcoast

That's exactly what I thought two weeks ago when I went down to see her. She looked so small. We sail four weeks today. Can't wait. By the way she was parked the other way two weeks ago!

Archived