favourite hotel manager on HAL?

covkid

I find this thread on "Hotel Managers" interesting . . . since most of the Hotel Manager's job is behind the scenes, other than being introduced at what used to be called the Captain's Welcome Aboard party. It's not like the Hotel Manager is very visible on board or generally has much interaction with guests. It would seem the Cruise Director would be the one with whom most guests would interact and have opinions about. Am I missing something?

Actually, Richard...... many of the named Hotel Managers are very visible and often out and about mingling and accessible to guests. At least that has been my observation and experience. Some we know very well.

I would say Simon DeBoer. He was very visible the whole cruise on Oosterdam and had a great personality. He made our CC group feel like VIPs and he held a Q&A session in his office where took notes on every comment or suggestion the attendees made.

Yes, Yes, Yes....... Simon deBoer is a great Hotel Manager. I knew I was forgetting at least one wonderful HotMan. Really nice guy, so personable, so good at what he does. Last we sailed with him was on Maasdam but sailed before that on Ryndam with him and I think he was still F & B. Brian McNeil was the Hotel Manager but I think he is off the ships and now involved with HAL's school in Philipines.

Schedule shows him on Zuiderdam until mid-August. Depending on when your NOV cruise is, he might be back or he might still be enjoying his vac

We're looking at Zuidy 11/9/08. We're actually booked on Eurodam 11/8, but want to switch.

Candy

We're looking at Zuidy 11/9/08. We're actually booked on Eurodam 11/8, but want to switch.

Candy

Got some updated info. Looks like Mark Pells' replacement is only scheduled through the 2nd week of October. Although not i.d.'ed yet, Mr Pells might be back on Zuiderdam at that time

Got some updated info. Looks like Mark Pells' replacement is only scheduled through the 2nd week of October. Although not i.d.'ed yet, Mr Pells might be back on Zuiderdam at that time

Thanx, John... We're getting a 100-day thing, and I'd rather not be on a ship full of strangers.

Candy the ZP

I find this thread on "Hotel Managers" interesting . . . since most of the Hotel Manager's job is behind the scenes, other than being introduced at what used to be called the Captain's Welcome Aboard party. It's not like the Hotel Manager is very visible on board or generally has much interaction with guests. It would seem the Cruise Director would be the one with whom most guests would interact and have opinions about. Am I missing something?

I would say that on quite a few of our cruises we have seen many of the hotel managers out and about quite a bit and stopping to talk to passengers.

Lately we have noticed that you rarely see the cruise directors. They seem to be disappearing behind the scenes.

JMO

Simon DeBoer gets our vote. He is totally dedicated to ensuring the passengers get the best service and care. He was everywhere on our MS Oosterdam cruise last November but always had time to stop and visit.

He was very interested in hearing from us Cruise Critic pax's on how things were going and suggestions for improvement. Many of us commented on how he could he keep up the strenuous work pace day in and day out.

His work ethics were reflected by the entire outstanding crew of the MS Oosterdam.

I must say I've never met a Hotel Manager on ay of my cruises. When do you get to interact with them?

When you have a problem with your cabin and that is IF he decides to meet with you. Sometimes they send someone else.

My favorite hotel manager is one that fixes the cabin problem. ;)

Of the ones that I have sailed with, Fritz Gehner gets my vote, although all have been very good. On our 68 day cruise, Fritz was everywhere on the ship, chatting with passengers and always smiling. I noticed that the crew seemed to be relaxed about doing their job in his presence. I've seen crew members that looked like they were scared to do their job when the HotMan was around.

On the two cruises that we have been on with Ron Botenbal, he seemed to be quite outgoing also.

All of HAL's Hotel Managers are good or they wouldn't be in such a responsible position. They all have their own style though, and their degree of interaction with the passengers varies widely. Operational problems that demand unexpected attention might also keep them tied to their office at times and could be the reason that some report a great experience with a highly visable HotMan and another person will report that same HotMan as being nowhere to be seen.

Fekko Ebbens never seemed to be highly visable on ouir cruises where he has been the HotMan, but we had an opportunity to dine with him and found him to be a very interesting person to talk with. I notice he hasn't been named as a favorite, but he must have been quite good from an operational standpoint to get the world cruises and then the Seattle assignment.

When you have a problem with your cabin and that is IF he decides to meet with you. Sometimes they send someone else.

My favorite hotel manager is one that fixes the cabin problem. ;)

I guess I've thankfully never had a problem with my cabin and that's why I've never met with a Hotel Manager. Hope it stays that way.:D

Regarding the Cruise Director (and onboard activities offered):

Near the end of the 2007 World Cruise when we asked the activities staff what their next assignments would be. They shared with us information they had just received from Seattle on changes in the duties of the Cruise Director in general and the activities staff. , I do not remember the specifics, but there were to be significant changes in the responsibilities of the Cruise Director and a new position was bring created to take over some of what he/she had been doing.

As I recall there seemed to be significant activity differences (my opinion of significant), with the changes being more noticable on shorter cruises. Unfortunately I do not remember the specifics, but I do remember that I wondered, at the time, just how it would work.

Regarding the Cruise Director (and onboard activities offered):

Near the end of the 2007 World Cruise when we asked the activities staff what their next assignments would be. They shared with us information they had just received from Seattle on changes in the duties of the Cruise Director in general and the activities staff. , I do not remember the specifics, but there were to be significant changes in the responsibilities of the Cruise Director and a new position was bring created to take over some of what he/she had been doing.

As I recall there seemed to be significant activity differences (my opinion of significant), with the changes being more noticable on shorter cruises. Unfortunately I do not remember the specifics, but I do remember that I wondered, at the time, just how it would work.

That new position is called Event Manager and we had her on Maasdam in April. I understand she has taken over tasks like putting the Daily Program together. On Maasdam the lady that held this position and the C/D were in the Crow's Nest just about every evening having a good old time. The Event Manager was always in her white uniform

"Robert VerSteeg aboard Statendam during our Alaska cruise in 2006. He was out on the pier working with stevedores who were in the midst of some job action and delaying baggage delivery to the ship ... and Robert made sure every bag was cleared. Later in the cruise, Robert was everywhere ... and most cordial and professional."We absolutely agree about Robert - he made our last cruise on the Statendam very memorable. We spent many hours with him and the captain in the Ocean Bar after the show at night. It would be wonderful to see him again soon.

We had an 'event manager' on the Westerdam - her first name was Vanessa.

Suffice it to say she was, well, very annoying and often the butt of jokes we overheard. In the Culinary Arts Center presentations, she repeatedly was talking over the chef and you could hardly here was he was doing. Highly inappropriate, I thought.

Archived